Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldjayfan

Re: Navy 2019

Post by oldjayfan »

I just don't see any scenario with Tillman ending up at Navy UNLESS he is let go by UMD--and that ain't happening. If TIllman was bringing in $150k- $200k I may change my tune; but, if the prior post is correct then no way he is leaving UMD on his own. In addition to recruiting, Tillman has been bringing in transfers consistently(often at the expense of the USNA).
With regard to USNA's new coach having "minimal downside" I'm not really sure what that means? The PL is getting stronger every year(as evidenced by the recent success(es) of Lehigh, Colgate, Bucknell, BU...of course, Loyola and Army will always be tough outs, too). Again, the last team--not named Loyola-- to advance out of the first round of the NCAA's from the PL was Navy in 2016. Prior to that Army in 2011.. The PL is tough and the next Navy coach will have the same problem scoring enough goals...IMHO!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

laxpere wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:00 pm
stupefied wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:01 pm Gonna be Tillman
stupefied wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:53 pm Happening, not wishful
Sure hope that you're right! Anyone moving with him? A twofer?

Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020
Well, I guess his wife. (?)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

oldjayfan wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:05 pm I just don't see any scenario with Tillman ending up at Navy UNLESS he is let go by UMD--and that ain't happening. If TIllman was bringing in $150k- $200k I may change my tune; but, if the prior post is correct then no way he is leaving UMD on his own. In addition to recruiting, Tillman has been bringing in transfers consistently(often at the expense of the USNA).
2 scenarios:
1) 600k+ per
2) wife coaches field hockey

otherwise, let them have their fun.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Just for the record- Tillman isn’t married.
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

oldjayfan wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:05 pm I just don't see any scenario with Tillman ending up at Navy UNLESS he is let go by UMD--and that ain't happening. If TIllman was bringing in $150k- $200k I may change my tune; but, if the prior post is correct then no way he is leaving UMD on his own. In addition to recruiting, Tillman has been bringing in transfers consistently(often at the expense of the USNA).
With regard to USNA's new coach having "minimal downside" I'm not really sure what that means? The PL is getting stronger every year(as evidenced by the recent success(es) of Lehigh, Colgate, Bucknell, BU...of course, Loyola and Army will always be tough outs, too). Again, the last team--not named Loyola-- to advance out of the first round of the NCAA's from the PL was Navy in 2016. Prior to that Army in 2011.. The PL is tough and the next Navy coach will have the same problem scoring enough goals...IMHO!
IF Navy is his dream job, Coach Tillman might choose to move. He has done very well at Maryland and delivered the first NC since 1975, but could it be time for a change? How much more upside is there at Maryland? It is an intriguing idea, but I think that the probability is very low. It does make more sense than some of the other big name candidates who have been proffered. Maryland has benefitted from NAPS defections, but BU lost a good SSDM to them too. Towson clearly saw the biggest boost from a NAPS defector.

Minimal downside from the standpoint of looking at the 2019 season and the persistent lack of alumni support for Coach Sowell. The new Head Coach should have much stronger alumni support, especially if he is a former player and/or coach. Since a former coach's firing has now been avenged, he will probably be given a few years to deliver better results...before the natives get restless again.

I agree that the PL will be tough, but it might be more even next year with Loyola in the post-Spencer era. BU seems like the favorite for 2020 since Gray has been anointed as the next Spencer.

Score one for Wombat :lol:, but there is no wife other than his job. The twofer that I see is the OC moving to back to Navy too. Who doesn't like twofers?

Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
old salt

Post by old salt »

The new Head Coach should have much stronger alumni support, especially if he is a former player and/or coach. Since a former coach's firing has now been avenged, he will probably be given a few years to deliver better results...before the natives get restless again.
A lot of that will be determined by how the transition is handled, ...as it was last time.

If it's Wellner, it will be little to no transition. If it's Tillman, given his previous experience at USNA & the way he finessed his transition into a potentially divisive situation at MD, he clearly "gets it". If it's another Coach who gets the Navy job, he'd do well to consult Tillman (& Reppert) on how to roll into Ricketts without burning any bridges, especially in the locker room.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Always question why I listen to the " geniuses" on this site..."Tillman's wife"? At least now I am aware of the level of knowledge--or lack thereof--and I will assess accordingly :roll:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

That’s why I added the question mark. Busy watching the Blue Angels and wasn’t going to bother looking up arcane needless details on what kind of spouse he may or may not have.

Pew Pew!

B-rated laser frizzles out again.
Laxrat1993

Post by Laxrat1993 »

Tillman is a very overrated coach. Yes, he wins. But look at his recruits in recent classes who he lost:
- In his 2017(hs grad) he lost more than half of his recruits including higher end recruits avanzato, Snyder, Hinton
- in his 2018 (hs grad) he lost wichelns who was an UA AA.
-lost Matt Neufeld to Denver

On another note, he is really the only top tier college coach who can’t consistently keep assistance coaches. New coaches every year.

He wins but lately he must be different behind close doors. Doesn’t seem like the players enjoy playing for him.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Don’t know where to begin. Lost Conry, Warne and Moran to become Head Coaches! How is that not successful when their replacements are also first rate.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Laxrat1993 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:11 pm Tillman is a very overrated coach. Yes, he wins. But look at his recruits in recent classes who he lost:
- In his 2017(hs grad) he lost more than half of his recruits including higher end recruits avanzato, Snyder, Hinton

On another note, he is really the only top tier college coach who can’t consistently keep assistance coaches. New coaches every year.

He wins but lately he must be different behind close doors. Doesn’t seem like the players enjoy playing for him.
Great coach ! It’s about choices etc
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:39 pm
Laxrat1993 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 7:11 pm Tillman is a very overrated coach. Yes, he wins. But look at his recruits in recent classes who he lost:

Great coach ! It’s about choices etc
It’s the Navy lacrosse coaching nepotism tree transplanted at UMD. Tills is following the RM model, an apprenticeship type stop.

If Tills comes here and does not hit a homerun, will the traditional Navy goats eat him alive as well? No doubt Tills has the Navy way of life understood, much like Coach Ken, is that enough to satisfy the masses if wins do not come as expected? IMO, at that point, the dead end has been reached for “the way it was pre 2004 that is not returning”. Be careful what you ask for.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
SonnySide

Post by SonnySide »

Is this a joke? I believe he has been to 7 Final Fours in 10 years at Maryland or something absurd. I don't think he will come because that is just not possible at Navy.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

People know TIllman SO well! Except that he isn't married!! :lol: oh wait, that's an "arcane" detail...too funny! Hope "she" does well with the field hockey team!!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

oldjayfan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:15 am People know TIllman SO well! Except that he isn't married!! :lol: oh wait, that's an "arcane" detail...too funny! Hope "she" does well with the field hockey team!!
umm.. it was a take on tambroni going to penn state. which is the one switch, unforeseen, that would be in the same stratosphere as the hopefuls that believe there's a sliver of hope that tillman would leave a perfect gig for the usna job at this point in time. and even that one doesn't compare.
there. explained and spelled it out for you.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Spin Doctors!
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

SonnySide wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:53 am

Is this a joke? I believe he has been to 7 Final Fours in 10 years at Maryland or something absurd. I don't think he will come because that is just not possible at Navy.
I'd imagine tongue planted firmly in cheek.
He loses coaches every year because his teams are always in the final 4. And his players love the guy.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

old salt wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 3:33 pm
The new Head Coach should have much stronger alumni support, especially if he is a former player and/or coach. Since a former coach's firing has now been avenged, he will probably be given a few years to deliver better results...before the natives get restless again.
A lot of that will be determined by how the transition is handled, ...as it was last time.

If it's Wellner, it will be little to no transition. If it's Tillman, given his previous experience at USNA & the way he finessed his transition into a potentially divisive situation at MD, he clearly "gets it". If it's another Coach who gets the Navy job, he'd do well to consult Tillman (& Reppert) on how to roll into Ricketts without burning any bridges, especially in the locker room.
+1...especially in the locker room indeed, so if it is another Coach who gets the Navy job, he'd also do well to consult with any members of the 2012-2016 teams.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:54 pm That’s why I added the question mark. Busy watching the Blue Angels and wasn’t going to bother looking up arcane needless details on what kind of spouse he may or may not have.

Pew Pew!

B-rated laser frizzles out again.
The WomCAT laser -- precision guided!
Pew Pew indeed! :)
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

thatsmell wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:43 am
SonnySide wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 7:53 am

I'd imagine tongue planted firmly in cheek.
He loses coaches every year because his teams are always in the final 4. And his players love the guy.
How soon do you think a decision will be made?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”