Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
norcalhop

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by norcalhop »

faircornell wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:00 am Well, these days, all of the engineering departments that you note (except for Yale) are ranked either approximately equal to Cornell or better than Cornell.

In my day, it seemed like the frighteningly brilliant students gravitated toward Engineering Physics or Electrical Engineering.
The most brilliant students these days get the Hertz Fellowship if going to US graduate school in STEM. You can check out the finalists on their site. Saturated with MIT, Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford kids. Less so from other schools. It makes sense as almost every US Gold Medal International Math/Physics/Informatics Olympiad competitor (aka the creme of the crop) from high school goes to the same 3 or 4 schools. Self-fulfilling prophecy.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

norcalhop wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:16 pm
Red4Life wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:52 pm :cry:
Chousnake wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:58 am
faircornell wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:38 pm
Ezra White wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:04 pm
enterprise wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:51 pm
Ezra White wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:28 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:13 pm As a final note, and as I mentioned in passing, I've often wondered if Cornell's better performance in the regular season vs the ILT is partially due to the culture of the school. Cornell, generally, focuses on a highly rigorous daily routine, both in the classroom and on the field. Also, from social media, it looks like the team practices at dawn more than in the night time. I have often wondered if the ILT night games are a bit of a letdown, and if player's rhythms are a bit out of sync for these late evening contests. I certainly could be wrong in this observation.
This is an interesting observation. Do we know when the other Ivies work out or practice?

If Cornell can use sensors to research body functioning in order to design better hockey uniforms for women, surely there are students & faculty at Cornell who can investigate your hypothesis and, perhaps, help devise a better training regimen.
I am fairly sure that, with a few exceptions, the early morning practices are those held in the off season because fall sports are using the fields in the afternoon/early evening. One of the reasons that Cornell teams often practice before classes in the morning rather than at night is that there are evening prelims on Tuesdays and Thursdays and evening classes on Mondays and Wednesdays. It is hard to run a practice when you are missing an attackman from the first line or 2 goalies who happen to be taking the same class!
What if a random lacrosse roster is equally distributed among the four chronotypes? This could imply that 3/4 of the team are practicing when they should be sleeping, eating, etc.
I'll defer to the main point of my post, (Cornell's culture) with one final attempt to illustrate my point. Practice times aside, the thrust of my argument was the relative cultures of the different Ivy schools. I've had family friends' children attend Cornell, and they are always astounded by the work ethic and rigor of the daily routine. Personally, I was in a graduate degree program after Cornell that was populated with (at least) 90% Ivy grads,and "Ivy plus" grads (service academies, NESCAC, Stanford, MIT, Oxbridge). The Cornell grads were the hardest workers, the first people in their seats, the most focused note takers, and the most serious students (which didn't always translate into the best academic results or highest academic honors). So, my hypothesis is that the typical Cornell student is more worn down by the end of the day than those from other Ivy institutions, This cultural difference, I'd argue, is cumulative over years of study and habit. Thus, Cornell seems to underperform in ILT night games as a function of the ingrained habits of the athletes. My hypothesis is, certainly, open to dispute. However, ILT results versus the regular season seem to suggest that it is not completely absurd.
I disagree with your hypothesis. As a Cornell alum and parent of two Cornell graduates, I have heard this culture argument and I don't necessarily dispute it. However, Cornell is a large university (from an Ivy standpoint) and is not monolithic. There are majors that require a ridiculous amount of work and some that do not and many that are in the middle. There are students that work incredibly hard and some that do not. Furthermore, I think the culture of the lacrosse team would be shaped more by the coaching staff and the tradition of the program rather than the university as a whole. To say that the culture of the campus and school leads to underperformance in a Friday night ILT game year after year seems unlikely to me. Plus, if the life of a Cornell student is wearing down the lax team for the late season ILT, that would mean it would carry over into the NCAA tourney as well. I'm not sure who has the better record in the NCAA tourney in recent years - Cornell or Yale, but I would be surprised if any Ivy League lax team has had more NCAA tourney wins or a better tourney record than Cornell over the past 20 or so years.
Agree with this CSnake…..having gotten my undergrad from CU - the hardest part was getting IN….getting out is a function of doing what needs to be done - it is the rare athlete that is hunkered in the Engineering Labs or Architecture program at all let alone during seasons (yes there are definitely some- but they are the exception and It the rule!)
Cornell - great school - bright kids etc….but this just in folks - so are many many schools in the country! I have my diploma proudly framed in my office and it definitely garners some respectful conversations - but it is very short sighted mixed with a bit of “pride of degree” to think that earning a Cornell degree is harder to earn than at any other competitive school. I would offer that the non classroom skills I honed at CU have served me far better than the in classroom education!
One man’s view!

Tough watching the ncaas without the big red participating !!
Agreed. Cornell kids and other kids from good engineering or good privates mostly blend in. I have not seen uniformly students from Cornell Eng be harder working, more prepared, or more successful than ones from Yale Eng.
That wasn't the point. The point is that Cornell lacrosse is not losing in the ILT because they are worn out from the academic rigors of a Cornell education. Let's get back to lax or tie this discussion back to lax.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Chousnake wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:40 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:16 pm
Red4Life wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:52 pm :cry:
Chousnake wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:58 am
faircornell wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:38 pm
Ezra White wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 8:04 pm
enterprise wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:51 pm
Ezra White wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:28 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:13 pm As a final note, and as I mentioned in passing, I've often wondered if Cornell's better performance in the regular season vs the ILT is partially due to the culture of the school. Cornell, generally, focuses on a highly rigorous daily routine, both in the classroom and on the field. Also, from social media, it looks like the team practices at dawn more than in the night time. I have often wondered if the ILT night games are a bit of a letdown, and if player's rhythms are a bit out of sync for these late evening contests. I certainly could be wrong in this observation.
This is an interesting observation. Do we know when the other Ivies work out or practice?

If Cornell can use sensors to research body functioning in order to design better hockey uniforms for women, surely there are students & faculty at Cornell who can investigate your hypothesis and, perhaps, help devise a better training regimen.
I am fairly sure that, with a few exceptions, the early morning practices are those held in the off season because fall sports are using the fields in the afternoon/early evening. One of the reasons that Cornell teams often practice before classes in the morning rather than at night is that there are evening prelims on Tuesdays and Thursdays and evening classes on Mondays and Wednesdays. It is hard to run a practice when you are missing an attackman from the first line or 2 goalies who happen to be taking the same class!
What if a random lacrosse roster is equally distributed among the four chronotypes? This could imply that 3/4 of the team are practicing when they should be sleeping, eating, etc.
I'll defer to the main point of my post, (Cornell's culture) with one final attempt to illustrate my point. Practice times aside, the thrust of my argument was the relative cultures of the different Ivy schools. I've had family friends' children attend Cornell, and they are always astounded by the work ethic and rigor of the daily routine. Personally, I was in a graduate degree program after Cornell that was populated with (at least) 90% Ivy grads,and "Ivy plus" grads (service academies, NESCAC, Stanford, MIT, Oxbridge). The Cornell grads were the hardest workers, the first people in their seats, the most focused note takers, and the most serious students (which didn't always translate into the best academic results or highest academic honors). So, my hypothesis is that the typical Cornell student is more worn down by the end of the day than those from other Ivy institutions, This cultural difference, I'd argue, is cumulative over years of study and habit. Thus, Cornell seems to underperform in ILT night games as a function of the ingrained habits of the athletes. My hypothesis is, certainly, open to dispute. However, ILT results versus the regular season seem to suggest that it is not completely absurd.
I disagree with your hypothesis. As a Cornell alum and parent of two Cornell graduates, I have heard this culture argument and I don't necessarily dispute it. However, Cornell is a large university (from an Ivy standpoint) and is not monolithic. There are majors that require a ridiculous amount of work and some that do not and many that are in the middle. There are students that work incredibly hard and some that do not. Furthermore, I think the culture of the lacrosse team would be shaped more by the coaching staff and the tradition of the program rather than the university as a whole. To say that the culture of the campus and school leads to underperformance in a Friday night ILT game year after year seems unlikely to me. Plus, if the life of a Cornell student is wearing down the lax team for the late season ILT, that would mean it would carry over into the NCAA tourney as well. I'm not sure who has the better record in the NCAA tourney in recent years - Cornell or Yale, but I would be surprised if any Ivy League lax team has had more NCAA tourney wins or a better tourney record than Cornell over the past 20 or so years.
Agree with this CSnake…..having gotten my undergrad from CU - the hardest part was getting IN….getting out is a function of doing what needs to be done - it is the rare athlete that is hunkered in the Engineering Labs or Architecture program at all let alone during seasons (yes there are definitely some- but they are the exception and It the rule!)
Cornell - great school - bright kids etc….but this just in folks - so are many many schools in the country! I have my diploma proudly framed in my office and it definitely garners some respectful conversations - but it is very short sighted mixed with a bit of “pride of degree” to think that earning a Cornell degree is harder to earn than at any other competitive school. I would offer that the non classroom skills I honed at CU have served me far better than the in classroom education!
One man’s view!

Tough watching the ncaas without the big red participating !!
Agreed. Cornell kids and other kids from good engineering or good privates mostly blend in. I have not seen uniformly students from Cornell Eng be harder working, more prepared, or more successful than ones from Yale Eng.
That wasn't the point. The point is that Cornell lacrosse is not losing in the ILT because they are worn out from the academic rigors of a Cornell education. Let's get back to lax or tie this discussion back to lax.
Yes, there's no reason why Cornell can't be successful in the ILT. School rigor is not a prevailing factor. Matchups might be this year.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

norcalhop wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:18 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 6:00 am Well, these days, all of the engineering departments that you note (except for Yale) are ranked either approximately equal to Cornell or better than Cornell.

In my day, it seemed like the frighteningly brilliant students gravitated toward Engineering Physics or Electrical Engineering.
The most brilliant students these days get the Hertz Fellowship if going to US graduate school in STEM. You can check out the finalists on their site. Saturated with MIT, Harvard, Princeton, and Stanford kids. Less so from other schools. It makes sense as almost every US Gold Medal International Math/Physics/Informatics Olympiad competitor (aka the creme of the crop) from high school goes to the same 3 or 4 schools. Self-fulfilling prophecy.
Makes sense. In the past, many Cornell engineers went on to get MBAs or law degrees. With a few exceptions, most were not the type of students that you describe above. Some engineer/MBAs I know did end up with senior management positions in technology-related companies.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Back to page 1-- Rowyn Nurry, A. Was originally a 24, doing a pg year coming 2025. Does it inside and outside, right and left hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8PcnMAYKj4
mfp

Post by mfp »

Inside Lacrosse 2024 Men's DI Media All-Americans: Zappitello Lone Unanimous First-Team Selection
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tion/63390

Kirst - first team
Long - honorable mention
WestVillCornell

Post by WestVillCornell »

The 2025 class is looking strong - Nurry can play
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

another fan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:09 am Back to page 1-- Rowyn Nurry, A. Was originally a 24, doing a pg year coming 2025. Does it inside and outside, right and left hand:

NASTY. He'll be a player. Very solid 2025 class.

I also really like 2025 Mid- Grady Taylor out of NH.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp86Y6K8Fik&t=41s
another fan

Post by another fan »

Agree on Taylor. Several good 25s, and I like to see the family connection. Brian Box and Blake Cascadden. Brian is a little bigger than Charlie, fast, and excellent two way player. Blake is a big d mid.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:30 am
another fan wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:09 am Back to page 1-- Rowyn Nurry, A. Was originally a 24, doing a pg year coming 2025. Does it inside and outside, right and left hand:

It's hard to tell from a highlight film, but he uses both left & right hands to shoot & pass, and he scores from in close & up high. What's not to like? Well, I wish the highlights showed him on more rides and defending on occasion.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Ezra White wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

It's hard to tell from a highlight film, but he uses both left & right hands to shoot & pass, and he scores from in close & up high. What's not to like? Well, I wish the highlights showed him on more rides and defending on occasion.
I coached an event last summer and he was there. He's legit. I'm sure you can find full game highlights of his HS team somewhere.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Ezra White wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:20 am

Kid's just want to show the goals. He's #26 in the 2025 class, I believe your highest ranked commit. He'll be a good one.
BIGGER_REDDER

Post by BIGGER_REDDER »

On the topic of incoming recruits, I was scanning Ty Xanders’s feed to catch up on transfer portal happenings when I saw this post that singles out incoming SSDM Jimmy Troy as a prospect that has “flown up his 2024 board”:

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/17 ... 6360384948

I don’t have the necessary subscription to read the attached article, but I’m happy to see at least one solid shortie coming in. As we all learned this year, there can never be enough depth at that position.
another fan

Post by another fan »

BIGGER_REDDER wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:01 pm On the topic of incoming recruits, I was scanning Ty Xanders’s feed to catch up on transfer portal happenings when I saw this post that singles out incoming SSDM Jimmy Troy as a prospect that has “flown up his 2024 board”:

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/17 ... 6360384948

I don’t have the necessary subscription to read the attached article, but I’m happy to see at least one solid shortie coming in. As we all learned this year, there can never be enough depth at that position.
I'm not sure if I did it in private messages or on the public thread or both, but I have been mentioning Jimmy Troy as an under the radar important recruit. He has been a lock down d mid in HS against excellent competition. We know how important that position has become, and while o mids can transition to defense (see Gilmartin), it's great to start getting talented midfielders who have years of experience on defense. Gilmartin was so good, and we are probably not deep enough even with a healthy Davis and Bozzi, but it would be great if we had the luxury of having Gilmartin on offense.
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

Is it time to let 2024 go and start posting in a Cornell 2025 topic?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Yes.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Melkonian won all 17 of his faceoffs against Long Beach in the Nassau B quarterfinals.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Hat tip to Mike French's Albany Fire Wolves for making it to the NLL finals and playing in front of 19,000+ fans in Buffalo... almost as many fans as in the glory days against Hopkins at Schoellkopf.
coda

Post by coda »

If any Cornell fans watched the defacto NC game between Lawrenceville and Brunswick, you have to be foaming at the mouth to see Piacentini in the cage as Shoellkpof field. The best player for 2 years on back to back NC teams. I'll be shocked if he isnt a monster in college.

(if you havent seen him, go to youtube now)
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

coda wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 3:13 pm If any Cornell fans watched the defacto NC game between Lawrenceville and Brunswick, you have to be foaming at the mouth to see Piacentini in the cage as Shoellkpof field. The best player for 2 years on back to back NC teams. I'll be shocked if he isnt a monster in college.

(if you havent seen him, go to youtube now)
With Knust a rising senior and Tully a rising sophomore, it will be interesting how the goalie situation shakes out next year. Knust certainly has the inside track to start based on his game experience and overall performance the 2nd half of the season, but neither Tully nor Piacentini can be counted out.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”