W&L 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
EasternShoreLaxGuy

Re: W&L 2024

Post by EasternShoreLaxGuy »

W&L faithful, congrats on the victory yesterday. As for this weekend, what do you want to see out of the W&L defense when trying to slow this offense down. Any coaches in the forums? What matchups and defenses would you throw at the gulls to possibly slow them down to get into a game going into the fourth? Do you expect the coaches to change the d up at all or just roll the ball out and hope for the best/goalie get hot? Haven’t seen a ton of your games this year but was impressed yesterday . No easy feat to win a playoff game in that stadium
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

EasternShoreLaxGuy wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:24 pm W&L faithful, congrats on the victory yesterday. As for this weekend, what do you want to see out of the W&L defense when trying to slow this offense down. Any coaches in the forums? What matchups and defenses would you throw at the gulls to possibly slow them down to get into a game going into the fourth? Do you expect the coaches to change the d up at all or just roll the ball out and hope for the best/goalie get hot? Haven’t seen a ton of your games this year but was impressed yesterday . No easy feat to win a playoff game in that stadium
For defense, like basketball, it's man to man, zone, or a box in one while guarding their offensive threat away from the action, I am thinking. Generals employed zone against Lynchburg against 2nd midfield unit that seemed to be effective when we stayed in our areas. Whatever we play, we just need to slide/help much better than in the past based on how good Sals is. What defense did Coach Emmer play against Hopkins in the 1975 Quarters that got us the win, and with a freshmen goalie (The Great AA Charlie Brown) as well. Believe it was man to man because we had 2 of the best defensemen ever to play the game, Rob Lindsey and Tommy Keigler. W&L does not have those type of players so whatever we play, we'll have to be a little lucky too.

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Salisbury is tied w Hobart at 13 for most national titles. You know these players want to be on that team to break the record and win it for Berkman. This is Salisbury 15th unbeaten season, they have over a 53 home game win streak at home , the number 1 ranked scoring offense, largest winning margin and best clearing percentage of any team. Can’t imagine a better scenario to play a game in with so much on the line. Total pressure on the Gulls, W&L is playing with house money. Making the Elite 8 two years in a row is impressive. A win here would be the biggest win in W&L history since going D3. I say this in relation to who they are playing and under the circumstances they are playing. Gulls have 8 or 9 AA’s vs 1 AA for W&L. I can’t imagine having the opportunity in this game to make history and also absolutely ruin such a great programs season. You know Salisbury is capable of going on a run be prepared for getting punched in the face early. In their last 4 games Swarthmore 11, St Joes 11 CNU 7 and Kean 4….. Salisbury scored the first 33 goals before their opponent responded. Play the game in 12, 5 minute increments and just focus on that no matter what whether ahead or behind, just fight like hell to win those mini 12 , five minute games. W&L ran with them last year there’s no reason why they can’t again. This game is the chance of a lifetime enjoy every second.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Dehunt,

Speaking of AAs, I was just told by USA Lacrosse that Alex Brown’s 70 goals were not enough to even be considered for honorable mention because he had only 3 assists, his goal total was good for 19th, and his point total was 179th in D3.

I’m sure he would trade it all for a victory vs Salisbury. I can recall SU actually coming to Lexington many years back and losing 7-6 in 2OT. Whatever the result, I don’t think that there will be 13 goals total. The Generals, unlike many other teams, are 3 and 6 vs Salisbury, with 4 of the losses between 1 goal to 3 goals.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Correction: the 7-6 win was at Salisbury.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:40 pm Correction: the 7-6 win was at Salisbury.
Here ya go WL75: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXepUm ... digyLaunch

valaxfan
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

VALAX,

I saw that, but thanks for sending.
Dehuntshigwa’es

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:40 pm Correction: the 7-6 win was at Salisbury.
Crazy score holding Salisbury to 6! That’s a tough D. I believe they played them later that year in the NCAA’s losing this time in a very low scoring contest.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Dehunt,

They have never won or lost to Salisbury by more than about 9 or 10 goals. In today’s game that is a “convincing win” but hardly a blowout.
Dehuntshigwa’es

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:36 pm Dehunt,

Speaking of AAs, I was just told by USA Lacrosse that Alex Brown’s 70 goals were not enough to even be considered for honorable mention because he had only 3 assists, his goal total was good for 19th, and his point total was 179th in D3.

I’m sure he would trade it all for a victory vs Salisbury. I can recall SU actually coming to Lexington many years back and losing 7-6 in 2OT. Whatever the result, I don’t think that there will be 13 goals total. The Generals, unlike many other teams, are 3 and 6 vs Salisbury, with 4 of the losses between 1 goal to 3 goals.
Appreciate the explanation, I should have known better. I was perplexed as to why he did not make it. You’d have thought they’d get more than 1 slot. The truth is winning teams make All Americans not the other way around. To the victors go the spoils. Looking forward to this contest, maybe this team steals a little magic from 2013.What number offensively does W&L need to get to to pull off a win. I’m thinking they may need 13-15 goals even if Spano and De Cain have above average games. The low scores in both games going back to 2013 are indicative of an absent shot clock.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Very likely at least13-15 goals.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Spano is your guys key for an upset. He has the ability to take over a game and he’s been the best freshman in the country IMO.

If he can help you guys play make it, take it, then the genies will have a punchers chance.
Motorman

Post by Motorman »

valaxfan wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:49 pm
Here ya go WL75: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXepUm ... digyLaunch

valaxfan
It was a very meaningful game in February. What was the May result that year?
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

It was 7-4 Salisbury. But, as we have seen this year, no wins are truly meaningless. And it also proves the old adage that it is difficult to beat any team twice in the same season, especially if both have decent talent.

What is more surprising though is that a supporter of a team that W&L beat twice this year tried to make a case that it was a shame that W&L got lucky because his team would have had so much more of a chance against Salisbury.

Possibly. But losing twice was not a position of strength for that argument.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:45 pm It was 7-4 Salisbury. But, as we have seen this year, no wins are truly meaningless. And it also proves the old adage that it is difficult to beat any team twice in the same season, especially if both have decent talent.

What is more surprising though is that a supporter of a team that W&L beat twice this year tried to make a case that it was a shame that W&L got lucky because his team would have had so much more of a chance against Salisbury.

Possibly. But losing twice was not a position of strength for that argument.
I saw that comment and was like, what......

valaxfan
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Some people get delirious when they don’t get what they want.
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

Laxguy703 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:09 pm Spano is your guys key for an upset. He has the ability to take over a game and he’s been the best freshman in the country IMO.

If he can help you guys play make it, take it, then the genies will have a punchers chance.
Spano is good, but the difference was the wing play. That was evident after the Lynchburg game, Lynchburg won the majority of the clamps, but W&L picked up all the GBs. Double polling the wings was a great strategy which paid off in 20 more possessions for W&L.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:32 pm Some people get delirious when they don’t get what they want.
You need to talk to my wife, LOL.

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

2laxers wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:49 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:09 pm Spano is your guys key for an upset. He has the ability to take over a game and he’s been the best freshman in the country IMO.

Spano is good, but the difference was the wing play. That was evident after the Lynchburg game, Lynchburg won the majority of the clamps, but W&L picked up all the GBs. Double polling the wings was a great strategy which paid off in 20 more possessions for W&L.
I think that’s a reach about the wing play. Spano won 21 face offs 15 were won to himself or about 70%. He dominated the dot. His gb numbers this year may be close to the most ever by a General. He puts tremendous pressure on the opponents D immediately. He’s going to get even better as an offensive threat the next 3 years. Fun to watch
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:23 pm
2laxers wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:49 pm

I think that’s a reach about the wing play. Spano won 21 face offs 15 were won to himself or about 70%. He dominated the dot. His gb numbers this year may be close to the most ever by a General. He puts tremendous pressure on the opponents D immediately. He’s going to get even better as an offensive threat the next 3 years. Fun to watch
I could, or I could just talk to mine!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”