Re: TV Broadcasts/Announcers/Production

Post by random observer »

coda wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:03 pm
random observer wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:55 pm
coda wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:28 pm
random observer wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:51 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:34 pm
random observer wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:17 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:07 pm A broadcast team talking delis, chicken parm sandwiches, traffic, workout routines, haircuts!!! is different from not keeping track of other pertinent games.
No argument for me on those things, and I agree that stuff is annoying. But people have also complained any time that they mention teams that aren't presently on the field, and it's disingenuous to pretend otherwise. People want to find reasons to hate these guys.

Frankly the only one who really bothers me is Carc, as he is the one who goes heavy on the hyperbole, and he typically is the instigator for the things you mentioned above. But I also think he's a great guy, and my frustration is just as much because I think he's capable of better (particularly when he is in the sideline and not in the booth).

Regardless, for the people complaining about the lack of coverage of the other stuff, they've just gone in depth with what's going on elsewhere during the halftime show.
Carc on the sidelines during the Final 4 and championship is really good. When Quint isn't going out of his way to troll, he's really good. These guys know the game so well, and we're all lacrosse nerds, so that's what we want to hear. I have no idea if all of the other filler is good for the casual fan (presumably for entertainment?). When Quint is in the booth with Sheehan Stanwick Burch, they're really good together. Joe B and Mark Dixon are the best combo, IMO. Sometimes you can tell when Joe is just coming off his NHL duties when he gets a little too "he shoots, he scores!", but he is a great pbp guy. CBS Sports has some good people, especially when Evan Washburn is paired with Dave Ryan, who is a great pbp guy.

Someone has to tone Anish down, though. He sells ESPN's products way too hard. The constant hyperbole on "best player ever!" is really bad.
Yeah I think this comment is very accurate (although I would say it's Carc, not Anish, who really lays it on thick with "the best __ in all of college lacrosse" shtick). The problem is typically when you put them all in the same booth, and they enable each others' worst tendencies. But on the whole I think they're all pretty competent. Quint in particular is very good and gets too much hate.
Someone should tell Quint it is a lacrosse field, not a pitch
I say this sincerely: what serious person cares for even one second if someone calls it a lacrosse field or a pitch?
It was driving me nuts. Called it a pitch like 6-8 times during the game
Fair enough. I personally think it's a very minor detail in the grand scheme of things. If that's your worst complaint about an announcer then they're damn good IMO.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:07 pm A broadcast team talking delis, chicken parm sandwiches, traffic, workout routines, haircuts!!! is different from not keeping track of other pertinent games.
No argument for me on those things, and I agree that stuff is annoying. But people have also complained any time that they mention teams that aren't presently on the field, and it's disingenuous to pretend otherwise. People want to find reasons to hate these guys.

Frankly the only one who really bothers me is Carc, as he is the one who goes heavy on the hyperbole, and he typically is the instigator for the things you mentioned above. But I also think he's a great guy, and my frustration is just as much because I think he's capable of better (particularly when he is in the sideline and not in the booth).

Regardless, for the people complaining about the lack of coverage of the other stuff, they've just gone in depth with what's going on elsewhere during the halftime show.
Carc on the sidelines during the Final 4 and championship is really good. When Quint isn't going out of his way to troll, he's really good. These guys know the game so well, and we're all lacrosse nerds, so that's what we want to hear. I have no idea if all of the other filler is good for the casual fan (presumably for entertainment?). When Quint is in the booth with Sheehan Stanwick Burch, they're really good together. Joe B and Mark Dixon are the best combo, IMO. Sometimes you can tell when Joe is just coming off his NHL duties when he gets a little too "he shoots, he scores!", but he is a great pbp guy. CBS Sports has some good people, especially when Evan Washburn is paired with Dave Ryan, who is a great pbp guy.

Someone has to tone Anish down, though. He sells ESPN's products way too hard. The constant hyperbole on "best player ever!" is really bad.
Yeah I think this comment is very accurate (although I would say it's Carc, not Anish, who really lays it on thick with "the best __ in all of college lacrosse" shtick). The problem is typically when you put them all in the same booth, and they enable each others' worst tendencies. But on the whole I think they're all pretty competent. Quint in particular is very good and gets too much hate.
I say this sincerely: what serious person cares for even one second if someone calls it a lacrosse field or a pitch?
It was driving me nuts. Called it a pitch like 6-8 times during the game. This isn’t soccer. See people get upset about “power play”, this is way worse. I don’t even understand when it started or why
No he didn't. He called it a pitch twice, literally, in the same passage. You have real issues if that even bothers you. This heere 'Merica! ....right?
coda

Post by coda »

random observer wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:05 pm

It was driving me nuts. Called it a pitch like 6-8 times during the game
Fair enough. I personally think it's a very minor detail in the grand scheme of things. If that's your worst complaint about an announcer then they're damn good IMO.
He has his own lax bro issues, especially when paired with Carc. He does have some good insights at times. Honestly, I don’t get where this came from. He is a Long Island kid that went to Hopkins. It’s about as forced as Madonna’s British accent
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Beninati & Ward calling ND-Albany are such a relief to listen to after the endless babble of those other guys ...
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

Kessenich’s coachspeak stammer is my issue with him.
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

CU77 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:27 pm Beninati & Ward calling ND-Albany are such a relief to listen to after the endless babble of those other guys ...
You mean to say they don’t do shtick?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

They're off the charts! :lol:
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Time and again, Joe Beninati is the best our sport has to offer. I love hearing his calls on the Sunday night Big Ten games. And now we are blessed with his call in the tourney. His lacrosse IQ is off the charts (having been a collegiate goalie) but he uses it in a way which provides meaningful context for the viewer and projects a really professional air on the mic; not to show how many lax bros he knows or how many goals/saves he had in some game in 1987 that no one cares about now. Some of the other guys sound like they are on a blind date and want to impress their date by reliving the glory days. Joe B sounds “cool” because he is a pro’s pro.
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

I know Beninati is from L.I.and went to Bowdoin. Where did he play his high school ball?
Lax Mouse

Post by Lax Mouse »

Can we just take a moment to appreciate Drew Carter and Ryan Boyle? Absolutely fantastic
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:48 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:27 pm Beninati & Ward calling ND-Albany are such a relief to listen to after the endless babble of those other guys ...
I mean to say they don't genuflect to the ACC like Quint and Carc.
coda

Post by coda »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:09 pm Time and again, Joe Beninati is the best our sport has to offer. I love hearing his calls on the Sunday night Big Ten games. And now we are blessed with his call in the tourney. His lacrosse IQ is off the charts (having been a collegiate goalie) but he uses it in a way which provides meaningful context for the viewer and projects a really professional air on the mic; not to show how many lax bros he knows or how many goals/saves he had in some game in 1987 that no one cares about now. Some of the other guys sound like they are on a blind date and want to impress their date by reliving the glory days. Joe B sounds “cool” because he is a pro’s pro.
He is one of the best.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

mdk01 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:36 pm
fordmaddoxford wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:48 pm
I mean to say they don't genuflect to the ACC like Quint and Carc.
Quint & Carc spent 6 hours of the Ivy League Tournament proclaiming that the Ivy League had off-the-charts talent and was going to be the best conference in the country next year :!:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ryan Boyle is the best in the biz. Not close
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Lax Mouse wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:26 pm Can we just take a moment to appreciate Drew Carter and Ryan Boyle? Absolutely fantastic
Yes!

Now if we could only get ESPN to make Beninati/Ward and Carter/Boyle the two top lax announcing teams.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

CU77 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:44 pm
Lax Mouse wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:26 pm Can we just take a moment to appreciate Drew Carter and Ryan Boyle? Absolutely fantastic
Yes!

Now if we could only get ESPN to make Beninati/Ward and Carter/Boyle the two top lax announcing teams.
The Drew guy annoys me.....
NYlax222

Post by NYlax222 »

I'm 'a huge fan of Joe B and Matt Ward. Great combo, both excellent, neither shrill. Also like Dixon, and Boyle.
Carc/QK - i just don't see conference/team bias that other folks see. Carc tends to be always over the top - whoever just scored, saved a goal, won a game is the best, etc..... , QK - unlike most 'leading voices in any sport - will point out flaws of teams, which i appreciate. Never happens with the NFL, NBA, golf, etc. Overall, think those guys do great job promoting sport and expanding fan base.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Madlax59 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:50 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:44 pm
Yes!

The Drew guy annoys me.....
Same. Ryan Boyle (not going to call him ‘RB’) is excellent though.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Hooz123 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:58 pm

There was nothing wrong with Q calling it a pitch. Clearly, some of the knuckle draggers here (probably from Long Island) get triggered when Q out cultures them.
Pleased to know that Joe Beninati is a fellow Long Islander...as is Quint. I'm not as well versed as Quint when it comes to culture. I'm sure he absorbed much of those gifts at both Lynbrook H.S. and JHU. Hell,l went to a cow college in the south. A place where agriculture supplanted culture.

I'm just ecstatic that the sport is televised. I know enough about the game, as do most FANLAX folks. Pretty sure we can survive and enjoy the action without the ability to differentiate a Picasso from a Pizza.
Ice1570

Post by Ice1570 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:44 pm Ryan Boyle is the best in the biz. Not close
Could not agree more and has been for years.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”