D1 Mens Lacrosse
jrn19

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by jrn19 »

He's scored like 2 goals in his last 20 games. So no, probably not
TerpsLax19

Post by TerpsLax19 »

Ha! Good one. Who is this team in white??? Spanos adding a big spark playing attack.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Man I’m gonna miss Ajax
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Carc is 100% right about Spanos at attack. This switch needs to be permanent.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Best Terps game in 2 years? McNaney was great. Malever, Erksa and Whittier in open space make a completely different offense, especially with #7 playing around the goal. Wierman and Zap completely dominated. 3rd quarter wasn't great, but that was the first fun game to watch in quite a while.

And Kabiri's the best freshman in the country; so smooth.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Congratulations to the Terps on a convincing win. John Tillman’s still got that tournament magic! Great performance by Maryland.
DA/PU

Post by DA/PU »

Congrats to the Terps on the thoroughly dominant effort. Very disappointing Tiger performance but Maryland had a lot to do with that. We can’t ever seem to compete with MD. Tillman is an amazing tourney time coach. Weirman and Mcnaney were outstanding. Gonna be a long offseason for us. Best of luck next weekend. Would love to see you beat Duke.
molo

Post by molo »

I picked Princeton to win tonight. They gave Maryland about as good a game as St. Joe gave UVA and Zutah gabs Duke. Terps made the Tigers look like an AQ from a weak conference. I thought Princeton was better than this.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

molo wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:18 pm I picked Princeton to win tonight. They gave Maryland about as good a game as St. Joe gave UVA and Zutah gabs Duke. Terps made the Tigers look like an AQ from a weak conference. I thought Princeton was better than this.
I think Princeton is better than this, certainly the goalie. However, similar but opposite to the UVA is done argument, PU's 4 wins were against 2 teams. Evidently, those teams' fogos were horrible and made the PU guy look great. Uva just had the most brutal final schedule in history, and sure enough they looked worse.

On a different note, the clearing was real good.
coda

Post by coda »

molo wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:18 pm I picked Princeton to win tonight. They gave Maryland about as good a game as St. Joe gave UVA and Zutah gabs Duke. Terps made the Tigers look like an AQ from a weak conference. I thought Princeton was better than this.
I’ll say the same thing I said about PSU, when Michigan blew them out. It’s hard to look good when you can’t win face offs and your goalie is having a career bad game.Princeton is better than what they showed tonight. Interesting thing is Maryland found some things to build on, namely Spanos at attack
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

keno in reno wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:32 pm
I think Princeton is better than this, certainly the goalie. However, similar but opposite to the UVA is done argument, PU's 4 wins were against 2 teams. Evidently, those teams' fogos were horrible and made the PU guy look great. Uva just had the most brutal final schedule in history, and sure enough they looked worse.

On a different note, the clearing was real good.
it was a down day for them for sure, but this was not all on the goalie and faceoff. the tigers had the ball plenty in 1h and had like 2 goals until right before halftime.
terps dominated the d end.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Season high in goals. Hopefully they keep the offense the same next week. Would be a mistake to put Erska back on attack
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Coach Tillman is the best coach in college lacrosse. Not shocked that he had his team ready to play.

It is notable that the four winning teams today scored between 16 to 19 goals. Playing good defense will be crucial, of course, but no team will get near the national championship without a high-scoring offense.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Shouldn't have made the tournament, shouldn't have gotten a home game, home underdog, tons of folks picking against them. Team silenced a helluva lotta people tonight. Hat tip to Phipps and Tills for the adjustments; Spanos on attack was a tremendous move and needs to stick. Malever had his best game all season. Agree that Erksa needs to stick at midfield, he had great jump and coulda had a couple goals. McNaney was dialed in from the jump. Great to see Wierman and Ajax have one last great night in College Park. Like that we saw a lot of guys get run; looked like Brennan got some minutes at shortie at times, lot of guys at midfield cycled through and only Whittier and Erksa didn't score but thought both played well. Great win and good for the program to not have two straight first round losses and have a crack at another Final Four

Duke will be a challenge. But think they match up pretty well if they can play with the assertiveness and confidence we saw tonight on offense. Quarterfinal Tills always has something up the sleeve. Glad they have a shot at it
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Running Erksa and Malever, especially together, at midfield changes the dynamic of the offense. Tillman talked in the post-gamer about how it forced Princeton to make coverage choices that got them uncomfortable. Instead of using picks to get switches, which can also take time, running them both out of the box together automatically earned one of them a shorty. Even when Princeton shorted Kelly, who played an outstanding game, when Erksa, Malever, and Siracusa ran together, one of those got a shorty even with 2 poles in the midfield.

Tills and Spanos talked in the post-gamer about playing with more tempo. Because, as JRN mentioned, more players got run (Holmes at shorty, Signorello at midfield, King on man-up to name a few), the Terps attacked in transition and in early offense. LaxRef's post-game report had the Terps' first time to shoot at like 37 seconds (Princeton's was at 47).

Madalon talked post-game about the Terps taking away Princeton's "runway" on dodges. Sliding early, getting out on guys early, getting in their hands. Just disrupted Princeton's offense. They slowed down Princeton's pace.

McNaney and Wierman were visibly fired up today. It looked like they took things personally. Both were vocal. Usually, McNaney is a pretty low key guy. There were a couple of times where he was barking at his defenders after Princeton shots.

Man...Kabiri is going to be a huge problem for everyone starting next year. The kid has the goods. Slick as hell but smart as hell, too.

Talking to some people after the game, it appears as though a few of the Princeton seniors already have their destinations locked up. UNC, Duke, and Michigan will get some guys.

But onward to Duke.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

That was an impressive performance. Even more impressive on how the staff pushed all the right buttons after such an up and down year.

Attacking Princeton from the low wing gave them huge issues. Having watched Princeton a few times, I was very surprised to see the Terps win so many individual matchups. Clearly the tigers didn’t want to slide.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

JerrysWorld wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:54 am That was an impressive performance. Even more impressive on how the staff pushed all the right buttons after such an up and down year.

Attacking Princeton from the low wing gave them huge issues. Having watched Princeton a few times, I was very surprised to see the Terps win so many individual matchups. Clearly the tigers didn’t want to slide.
Impressive win by Maryland in what appeared the most competitive matchup of Saturday's games until it wasn't. The Ivys not granting 5th years really appeared to work against their conference this year. 1 team in the NCAA tournament and they were overmatched against a traditional power. How many Princeton players with eligibility left were playing elsewhere this season and same for some other IVYS...... Some of those players are still in the tourney but playing for other teams.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Curious if Ajax takes O'Neill or Zawada. I assume he is used to negate Zawada's speed, then hope some combination of strength and slides can contain the MVP of the world.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Curious if Ajax takes O'Neill or Zawada. I assume he is used to negate Zawada's speed, then hope some combination of strength and slides can contain the MVP of the world.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:17 am Curious if Ajax takes O'Neill or Zawada. I assume he is used to negate Zawada's speed, then hope some combination of strength and slides can contain the MVP of the world.
ND had some success containing O'Neill by putting a lefty on him.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”