Georgetown
51%
Penn State
49%

Total votes: 35

tech37

Re: #8 Georgetown vs Penn State Sunday @ 2:30

Post by tech37 »

DMV_Guy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:14 am Leave it to Hopkins fans to make this thread about themselves somehow, but back to the subject at hand.

Lord give me the confidence of a PSU fan who just watched their team get slapped around by Michigan a week before the big dance. Make up all the excuses you want about why and how it didn’t count, but they are vulnerable.

Hoyas have their own problems playing to the level of their competition, but at least we aren’t delusional about it.

Georgetown is an extremely balanced team and wildly efficient on offense. Faceoffs will be a large advantage to the Hoyas. Fracyon is legit and agree one of the best in the country, but so is the Hoya freshman.

I think it’s a great matchup for both teams and I expect it to be a close one. Georgetown 12-11 with both teams going on runs in between. If you think PSU is winning by 5 goals then you haven’t been paying attention, and I have a bridge to sell you.
Of all games this seems like "pick em." Would not be surprised to see an OT or 3 before it's over. Go Nit Lions!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

This is a pick-em game in Massey, razor thin edge in Massey's to G-town.
FishFood

Post by FishFood »

I'm amazed to see some of the comments where people seem to think this game will be decided on which Penn State team shows up. That sounds totally ridiculous given then level of play that Georgetown has shown they're capable of playing.

My things to look for:

-Malone v. Banks - I'm guessing the freshman will get the nod to cover TJ Malone. Will Malone have a game where he gets 7 or 8 points? Or will Banks have a game like he did on Pat Kavanaugh and keep him limited?

- At the X - Can Ball dominate vs. the Baldwin/Mullins combo? I haven't followed the PSU games closely, but why do they seem to split attempts when Mullins is > 50% on year and Baldwin is < 40%? That seems at odds to splitting time...let alone with Baldwin with more attempts. 2nd half FO's matter more than the first!

- In Cage - Can Moore match Fracyon? Moore has shown signs of a future high-team All-American, but has also had some tough stretches within a game. Fracyon shows the better consistency of an upperclassman overall, but both goalies have shown they can have an off day. Their stats are closer than people think.

- PSU Pick Game - How do the Hoyas defend the pick game from PSU. If I were Warne, I would just play the Michigan film on how to defend their pick, especially GLE and behind. The defender of the picking man simply dropped to GLE or above anytime his man went to pick. With this, there was never confusion and he was always able to pickup either than ball carrier or reengage the picker.

- Gtown Possession Length - The Hoyas like to spin the ball around a good bit and go deep in their shot clock. This can look brilliant with a late possession goal (Notre Dame) or yield limited opportunities (2nd half Denver) depending on how that last 20 seconds go. In my opinion, their offense flows better when they are less concerned about the shot clock and get some early possession looks.

- SSDMs - The Hoya D can live/die by how the trio of Hess/Godine/Leary handle themselves in 1v1 matchups. In particular, teams like to test them in an invert. Costin and Long might get this look and could cause problems for the Hoyas. Aldridge and Haus will be tested for sure as they depth of the Hoya offensive midfielders has been impressive this year.

It looks like a chance of storms on Sunday. I hope it isn't one of the rain-delayed affairs. I don't see this being more than a 2 goal game either way. As with most playoff lacrosse it will be a matter of who can get the timely save, timely faceoff, play by an unsung hero, or have their star shine on the big stage! I love this time of year!
coda

Post by coda »

FishFood wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:35 am I'm amazed to see some of the comments where people seem to think this game will be decided on which Penn State team shows up. That sounds totally ridiculous given then level of play that Georgetown has shown they're capable of playing.

My things to look for:

-Malone v. Banks - I'm guessing the freshman will get the nod to cover TJ Malone. Will Malone have a game where he gets 7 or 8 points? Or will Banks have a game like he did on Pat Kavanaugh and keep him limited?

- At the X - Can Ball dominate vs. the Baldwin/Mullins combo? I haven't followed the PSU games closely, but why do they seem to split attempts when Mullins is > 50% on year and Baldwin is < 40%? That seems at odds to splitting time...let alone with Baldwin with more attempts. 2nd half FO's matter more than the first!

- In Cage - Can Moore match Fracyon? Moore has shown signs of a future high-team All-American, but has also had some tough stretches within a game. Fracyon shows the better consistency of an upperclassman overall, but both goalies have shown they can have an off day. Their stats are closer than people think.

- PSU Pick Game - How do the Hoyas defend the pick game from PSU. If I were Warne, I would just play the Michigan film on how to defend their pick, especially GLE and behind. The defender of the picking man simply dropped to GLE or above anytime his man went to pick. With this, there was never confusion and he was always able to pickup either than ball carrier or reengage the picker.

- Gtown Possession Length - The Hoyas like to spin the ball around a good bit and go deep in their shot clock. This can look brilliant with a late possession goal (Notre Dame) or yield limited opportunities (2nd half Denver) depending on how that last 20 seconds go. In my opinion, their offense flows better when they are less concerned about the shot clock and get some early possession looks.

- SSDMs - The Hoya D can live/die by how the trio of Hess/Godine/Leary handle themselves in 1v1 matchups. In particular, teams like to test them in an invert. Costin and Long might get this look and could cause problems for the Hoyas. Aldridge and Haus will be tested for sure as they depth of the Hoya offensive midfielders has been impressive this year.

It looks like a chance of storms on Sunday. I hope it isn't one of the rain-delayed affairs. I don't see this being more than a 2 goal game either way. As with most playoff lacrosse it will be a matter of who can get the timely save, timely faceoff, play by an unsung hero, or have their star shine on the big stage! I love this time of year!
People are saying which PSU shows up, because of an over-reaction to a singular game. PSU has been really consistent outside the opening week. They really struggle vs face-offs and are over reliant on Fracyon. Michigan game exposed that, but Fracyon is usually very consistent. They go into most big games knowing they will lose the possession battle, so there is a lot of pressure on the defense and Goalie.

This should be a tight game. In tight games it usually comes down to experience, middle of the field, and goalie.
1. I think PSU has the advantage at experience
2. Have the advantage at Goalie. Fracyon can steal games, he is that good.
3. Both teams are clearing 88%. Ball is at 60% for Gtown, this is probably the scariest match-up for PSU. If Ball dominates the X, Gtown will win. PSU will need a big game from their wings on face off unit. Anything near 50% and PSU fans will rejoice.

this is my quick tear sheet on the game

Home Team Visitor Team
georgetown penn state
Wins 12 Wins 11
Losses 3 Losses 4

SOS 19 SOS 9

Gtown w/ ball:

Offense Rank 15 Defense Rank 6

Goals Per Game 12.87 Goals Allowed/Game 9.80

Penn State with the ball

Defense Rank 9 Offense Rank 7

Goals Allowed/Game 9.27 Goals Per Game 13.47

Predicted Score : 10.8 - 11.9
Margin -1.1
Predicted Winner penn state
HGK

Post by HGK »

Are all starting times being pushed back due to weather delays at Hopkins?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

One of the games will likely be pushed to another channel or more likely ESPN+
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I'm seeing clearing up by 4pm - so whatever is hitting Baltimore will have passed ?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Penn State's only weakness is at the FOGO. Will Ball be able to dominate that spot? Looking at Georgetown's games, their FOGO spot has been up and down. They've had some great outings (2x against Villanova) but have also had some clunkers (ND, JHU, Providence). That spot is so match-up dependent.

But PSU everywhere else is better than Georgetown, and in some areas, heads and shoulders better. PSU's is 7th in offense, 5th in defense, and 3rd in goalkeeping. Georgetown is 9th in offense, 18th in defense, and 22nd in goalkeeping. (all opponent adjusted...thanks LaxRef!)

I'll be watching the midfield match ups. Georgetown's offensive midfield has some really good players, but PSU (IMO) has the best defensive midfield in the nation (apologies to the ESPN crew's favorite in Durham). The thing about PSU's rope unit is that they can and will push in transition. Haus is so good for Penn State, but he's not the only one you have to worry about. Sweeney and Scarfi are very good LSMs. Conversely, Georgetown has a very good rope unit, too. The thing about PSU's midfield is they complement each other. Costin is athletic and can get down the alleys. Traynor can shoot and finds every hole in a defense. Morin is a QB up top. They just play so well together and play so well off of their attack unit. Then the 2nd unit comes in, and you get a bunch of invert guys with some shooters who keep the pressure on all game.

PSU's close defense is better than Georgetown's attack unit. If PSU slides to support any of those match-ups, I'll probably throw things at my TV.

And then there's Fracyon. He's the best goalie in the nation. I don't think the Michigan game will affect him one bit. Big, athletic, baits shooters, the kick saves, kinda unorthodox.

Too much experience on PSU. The parts fit so well together. It's whether or not Ball can dominate possession so much that Georgetown can get 40+ shots up. That's the way to get to Fracyon. He's going to get his saves, so you have to shoot a lot to give yourself a chance. Playing slow down on offense and grinding possessions plays into his hands.
coda

Post by coda »

Penn State coming out strong early
coda

Post by coda »

Fracyon limping off the field to end the 1Q
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Insert "danger zone" gif here.

Cotter mentioned PSU's inability to hold on to games or lose leads. That's due to face-off play. They're doing alright so far, and Georgetown is throwing the ball away to help things out.

Boy...Georgetown needed that goal. They need stack some possessions.
coda

Post by coda »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:07 pm Insert "danger zone" gif here.

Cotter mentioned PSU's inability to hold on to games or lose leads. That's due to face-off play. They're doing alright so far, and Georgetown is throwing the ball away to help things out.

Boy...Georgetown needed that goal. They need stack some possessions.
Ball heating up.. Possessions now all Gtown
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

This is more exciting than your usual 9-7 game.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

PSU is choking this. Fracyon giving up too many rebounds. PSU attack looks stalled.
coda

Post by coda »

norcalhop wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:17 pm PSU is choking this. Fracyon giving up too many rebounds. PSU attack looks stalled.
What terrible shot, when you need a good offensive possession
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Georgetown is a better match up going against Notre Dame.
Laxfan88

Post by Laxfan88 »

Coach Warne looks like a dad trying to look cool taking his children to an Eminem concert.
coda

Post by coda »

10stone5 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:34 pm Georgetown is a better match up going against Notre Dame.
I don’t think it matters, especially with Ball hurt (assuming he can’t play)
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Too bad for Penn State,

but, two straight NCAAs - which, actually they've never done - and no reason right now to think they can't make it three straight next year, plenty of talent.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Laxfan88 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:35 pm Coach Warne looks like a dad trying to look cool taking his children to an Eminem concert.
Damn, 3 shots fired. Apt for DC these days.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”