Penn State
49%

Total votes: 35

AreaLax

#8 Georgetown vs Penn State Sunday @ 2:30

Post by AreaLax »

Let’s go

Chris Cotter & Paul Carcaterra are calling this game
Last edited by AreaLax on Thu May 09, 2024 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NYlax222

Re: #8 Georgetown vs Penn State Sunday @ 2:30

Post by NYlax222 »

This should be a great game. Which PSU team shows up?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Not picking against Fracyon or Malone in a first round game. They looked awful last week but the Hoyas aren't exactly playing scintillating lacrosse lately either. PSU's loss to Michigan might be exactly what they needed to remind them they haven't accomplished jack sh*t yet and nobody is shedding any tears anymore about the way the Final Four game ended last year. They've still got a lot more to do. Think they come out strong and make a statement to put perhaps a bit of a scare into Notre Dame.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Toss up,
depends on which team shows up for Penn State.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I should add also, PSU should not be gassed, they are not heavy on the injury side,
they are deep on both offense and defense.

So, it looks like a question of where is PSUs head at.
Laxfan016

Post by Laxfan016 »

I know the Betting Odds are favoring Penn State. But I love the HOYAS in this game with there Offense. I think this is the game where Graham Bundy will remind everyone that he one of the best Middies in the country. Also I believe Georgetown has the faceoff advantage in this game as well and the battle at the X will be huge who wins this game
coda

Post by coda »

Laxfan016 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:43 pm I know the Betting Odds are favoring Penn State. But I love the HOYAS in this game with there Offense. I think this is the game where Graham Bundy will remind everyone that he one of the best Middies in the country. Also I believe Georgetown has the faceoff advantage in this game as well and the battle at the X will be huge who wins this game
That is the issue with Penn State. In their 3 Big 10 losses they went 25 - 72 on face offs. Michigan game was a ridiculous 5-24. Fracyon was not seeing the ball in that game, which was the biggest surprise. He is among a handful of goalies I would consider the best in the country. When he is on he makes up for a lot of issues.
molo

Post by molo »

I can’t believe Penn State is as bad as they looked against Michigan, and I think Georgetown is about as good as they looked against Villanova. If the good Penn Stste shows up, they should win by something like 16-11.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

molo wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:11 pm I can’t believe Penn State is as bad as they looked against Michigan, and I think Georgetown is about as good as they looked against Villanova. If the good Penn Stste shows up, they should win by something like 16-11.
I think the loss against Michigan showed how good Michigan is, not any problems with Penn State.

Right now, Penn State is the second best team in the Big Ten. I think they take this one against GT.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:10 pm
molo wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:11 pm I can’t believe Penn State is as bad as they looked against Michigan, and I think Georgetown is about as good as they looked against Villanova. If the good Penn Stste shows up, they should win by something like 16-11.
I think the loss against Michigan showed how good Michigan is, not any problems with Penn State.

Right now, Penn State is the second best team in the Big Ten. I think they take this one against GT.

DocBarrister
If you're losing 16-4, you've got some problems. You freaked out when Hopkins lost by 3 to the same team. Imagine losing by 12. But they've got nothing to worry about?

If Fracyon has an off game, PSU is vulnerable to losing to pretty much anyone. He has masked what I think has been a slightly overrated defense all year. They are prone to head-scratching lapses like what you saw on the Collison OT winner. Generally solid, but a good offense that wins faceoffs and controls possessions will find holes to exploit and make things uncomfortable for Fracyon. Since they don't win a lot of faceoffs, there's a ton of pressure on him to be on his game every week.
coda

Post by coda »

I think people are over estimating this game. Michigan is a bad match-up for PSU
The first game Michigan went 17-25 at the X, but Fracyon had a ridiculous 19 saves and 70% save percentage. Michigan had 11 saves at 44%.PSU had 19 turnovers
2nd game Michigan went 19-24 at the X, but Fracyon was terrible with 6 saves and 27% save percentage. Michigan had 12 saves at 75%. PSU had 18 turnovers.

Goalie play was the only thing different in the 2 games. Hard to win look decent when you cant win faceoffs (known weakness for PSU) and your goalie isnt saving anything (not to mention the opposing goalie has a career night). If you watched the 1st game, Fracyon essentially stole that for PSU.
Haveaday

Post by Haveaday »

coda wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:22 pm
I think people are over estimating this game. Michigan is a bad match-up for PSU
The first game Michigan went 17-25 at the X, but Fracyon had a ridiculous 19 saves and 70% save percentage. Michigan had 11 saves at 44%.PSU had 19 turnovers
2nd game Michigan went 19-24 at the X, but Fracyon was terrible with 6 saves and 27% save percentage. Michigan had 12 saves at 75%. PSU had 18 turnovers.

Goalie play was the only thing different in the 2 games. Hard to win look decent when you cant win faceoffs (known weakness for PSU) and your goalie isnt saving anything (not to mention the opposing goalie has a career night). If you watched the 1st game, Fracyon essentially stole that for PSU.
PSU was also coming off a shellacking of Maryland who has been their bogeyman. Combine that with the fact that they just beat Michigan by 6 a month earlier and I think emotionally they weren't where they needed to be to compete in the championship game. I agree that whenever you lose the faceoff battle to the degree that they do while also relying on your goalie to be great every game, your margin of error is slim.
coda

Post by coda »

Haveaday wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:42 pm
coda wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:22 pm

PSU was also coming off a shellacking of Maryland who has been their bogeyman. Combine that with the fact that they just beat Michigan by 6 a month earlier and I think emotionally they weren't where they needed to be to compete in the championship game. I agree that whenever you lose the faceoff battle to the degree that they do while also relying on your goalie to be great every game, your margin of error is slim.
Fracyon was terrible in the 2nd game and Taylor was amazing for Michigan.. That is problem for any team. Than you throw on losing 80% of faceoffs and blowout is very likely
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:20 pm

DocBarrister
If you're losing 16-4, you've got some problems. You freaked out when Hopkins lost by 3 to the same team. Imagine losing by 12. But they've got nothing to worry about?

If Fracyon has an off game, PSU is vulnerable to losing to pretty much anyone. He has masked what I think has been a slightly overrated defense all year. They are prone to head-scratching lapses like what you saw on the Collison OT winner. Generally solid, but a good offense that wins faceoffs and controls possessions will find holes to exploit and make things uncomfortable for Fracyon. Since they don't win a lot of faceoffs, there's a ton of pressure on him to be on his game every week.
You are viewing the game with Penn State incorrectly, just like you were overly giddy after the Hopkins win over Maryland.

Those of us who weren’t blinded by the pageantry of Homewood saw an offense with serious problems against Maryland. The Hopkins D pulled out the win, but the victory left some of us rather disappointed (I was absolutely p*ssed).

The game against Michigan is not properly viewed as a three-goal loss. Michigan went on a 9-1 run starting three minutes into the second quarter. Complete domination and humiliation.

Both the Hopkins and Penn State games were dominating wins by Michigan. Credit Michigan with that.

I think Penn State is playing better than Hopkins right now.

I think the Hopkins issues are quite fixable. Ramp up the aggression on dodges by the middies, and I think the Hopkins O can really open things up. Get the O back on track and the Blue Jays will be a very tough out for anyone.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:11 pm

DocBarrister

You are viewing the game with Penn State incorrectly, just like you were overly giddy after the Hopkins win over Maryland.

Those of us who weren’t blinded by the pageantry of Homewood saw an offense with serious problems against Maryland. The Hopkins D pulled out the win, but the victory left some of us rather disappointed (I was absolutely p*ssed).

The game against Michigan is not properly viewed as a three-goal loss. Michigan went on a 9-1 run starting three minutes into the second quarter. Complete domination and humiliation.

Both the Hopkins and Penn State games were dominating wins by Michigan. Credit Michigan with that.

I think the Hopkins issues are quite fixable. Ramp up the aggression on dodges by the middies, and I think the Hopkins Obl can really open things up. Get the O back on track and the Blue Jays will be a very tough out for anyone.

DocBarrister
So Penn State has no issues at all after losing 16-4 because....something about how Hopkins is playing? This is totally incoherent.

If Hopkins lost by 12 you'd commit seppuku. Surely, PSU has a few things they can afford to work on.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:14 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:11 pm

DocBarrister

I think the Hopkins issues are quite fixable. Ramp up the aggression on dodges by the middies, and I think the Hopkins Obl can really open things up. Get the O back on track and the Blue Jays will be a very tough out for anyone.

DocBarrister
So Penn State has no issues at all after losing 16-4 because....something about how Hopkins is playing? This is totally incoherent.

If Hopkins lost by 12 you'd commit seppuku. Surely, PSU has a few things they can afford to work on.
When did I ever say Penn State has no issues? They do, but I think they go into the tournament playing better than Hopkins. Who is being the Hopkins Homer here?

We’ll see if the Blue Jays have solved some of their problems on O. As I have said, I have confidence that Crawley and PM can fix things. The Lehigh game will be telling.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:19 pm When did I ever say Penn State has no issues?
"I think the loss against Michigan showed how good Michigan is, not any problems with Penn State."

You pretty quickly just waved away a 12-goal loss, in which they looked horrendous. Did you watch the game? None of this has anything to do with Hopkins.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:39 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:19 pm When did I ever say Penn State has no issues?
"I think the loss against Michigan showed how good Michigan is, not any problems with Penn State."

You pretty quickly just waved away a 12-goal loss, in which they looked horrendous. Did you watch the game? None of this has anything to do with Hopkins.
No team is perfect. Why would you even think such a thing?

The point is … Michigan flat out beat Penn State. It’s wrong to focus on Penn State having major deficiencies. They have their issues like everyone else. But Penn State is a very good team, and they enter the tournament playing better than Hopkins.

I don’t think Penn State has any major problems right now. From what I saw, Michigan had one of the best games of any team this season.

The Blue Jays are another issue. The way their offense has been playing is a major problem. I don’t think it’s a personnel or talent problem. It’s a coaching problem. I think (hope) Crawley and PM can address that. Lehigh game will show us whether that’s true.

Going back to the Michigan shellacking of Penn State … I think the Wolverines would have crushed just about anyone that day.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DMV_Guy

Post by DMV_Guy »

Leave it to Hopkins fans to make this thread about themselves somehow, but back to the subject at hand.

Lord give me the confidence of a PSU fan who just watched their team get slapped around by Michigan a week before the big dance. Make up all the excuses you want about why and how it didn’t count, but they are vulnerable.

Hoyas have their own problems playing to the level of their competition, but at least we aren’t delusional about it.

Georgetown is an extremely balanced team and wildly efficient on offense. Faceoffs will be a large advantage to the Hoyas. Fracyon is legit and agree one of the best in the country, but so is the Hoya freshman.

I think it’s a great matchup for both teams and I expect it to be a close one. Georgetown 12-11 with both teams going on runs in between. If you think PSU is winning by 5 goals then you haven’t been paying attention, and I have a bridge to sell you.
Wife and four kids. I work at the Department of Motor Vehicles so please speak slowly. Posting in between shifts from the toilet.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

DMV_Guy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:14 am Leave it to Hopkins fans to make this thread about themselves somehow, but back to the subject at hand.

Lord give me the confidence of a PSU fan who just watched their team get slapped around by Michigan a week before the big dance. Make up all the excuses you want about why and how it didn’t count, but they are vulnerable.

Hoyas have their own problems playing to the level of their competition, but at least we aren’t delusional about it.

Georgetown is an extremely balanced team and wildly efficient on offense. Faceoffs will be a large advantage to the Hoyas. Fracyon is legit and agree one of the best in the country, but so is the Hoya freshman.

I think it’s a great matchup for both teams and I expect it to be a close one. Georgetown 12-11 with both teams going on runs in between. If you think PSU is winning by 5 goals then you haven’t been paying attention, and I have a bridge to sell you.
+100
Agree on every point.

I really like the Jack Schubert kid for G town. Coming on late and had 7 points in the BE tourney. 4G&1A vs Providence and 1G&1A vs Nova in the championship.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”