Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
TerpsLax19

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by TerpsLax19 »

Offensive coaching turnover. This could take a few years to resolve. Tillman was lucky to find Phipps at the last minute.

I think this group needs a screaming, table flipping, highly emotional coach right now. Like true middies, the team doesn’t have that.

This offense had a lot of time to get ready for that PSU game and wasn’t able to make any changes that I could see. Settled offense is all attackmen except for Syracusa. That’s really limited them and they’re clearly frustrated. The whole team seems to have become tentative, sit back and let the opponents dictate the game in all aspects.

Like to see Luke win the 1st faceoff and go down and score and the guys keep it going from there. No more sitting back - push out on D, rotate faster and push in transition. Easy for me to say. I sure hope they break loose and finish on a positive note.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Will Erksa be able to play? I know he was released from the hospital and was able to travel home with the team. But will available to play.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

TerpsLax19 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:54 am Offensive coaching turnover. This could take a few years to resolve. Tillman was lucky to find Phipps at the last minute.

I think this group needs a screaming, table flipping, highly emotional coach right now. Like true middies, the team doesn’t have that.

This offense had a lot of time to get ready for that PSU game and wasn’t able to make any changes that I could see. Settled offense is all attackmen except for Syracusa. That’s really limited them and they’re clearly frustrated. The whole team seems to have become tentative, sit back and let the opponents dictate the game in all aspects.

Like to see Luke win the 1st faceoff and go down and score and the guys keep it going from there. No more sitting back - push out on D, rotate faster and push in transition. Easy for me to say. I sure hope they break loose and finish on a positive note.
As we've all noted, this team plays tight. To your point, I wish they could just relax and have fun out there. Let the game come to them. Win or lose...would be really nice to see this.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

PulpExposure wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:36 pm
TerpsLax19 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:54 am Offensive coaching turnover. This could take a few years to resolve. Tillman was lucky to find Phipps at the last minute.

As we've all noted, this team plays tight. To your point, I wish they could just relax and have fun out there. Let the game come to them. Win or lose...would be really nice to see this.

Couldn’t disagree more. Not enough speed or talent to play loose. They’ve been playing too loose and dropping passes, passing into triple teams and not crisply reverse passing. Playing loose will get them blown out in the first quarter. The only time they need to loosen up is on face off and other fast breaks where they have been way too cautious.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 1:25 pm

Couldn’t disagree more. Not enough speed or talent to play loose. They’ve been playing too loose and dropping passes, passing into triple teams and not crisply reverse passing. Playing loose will get them blown out in the first quarter. The only time they need to loosen up is on face off and other fast breaks where they have been way too cautious.

You guys are forgetting a big part of Maryland’s success and failure.

I believe McNaney has the lowest save percentage of any team remaining. Maybe the Michigan tender is a touch lower. McNaney is #45 in D1.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Ah see - I feel like they're passing up a good shot to try and make a pass for a perfect shot. And because they're pressing there, they throw it into the triple teams. This team has talent - they may not have Virginia offensive talent, but they aren't Hampton, either.

To Finster's point, McNaney hasn't been up to his normal standard. Didn't realize it was that bad, though.
TerpsLax19

Post by TerpsLax19 »

I’m saying break loose not play loose. We’re on the same page.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Ajax drafted by the Whipsnakes
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Shocker
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Luke was the only FO drafted. Went to Denver
Ramlax1776

Post by Ramlax1776 »

You do realize the offense is the same from last year with the “upgrade” of Malavar? In theory they should be better being a year older and settled, no? I believe they are still running the same offense. Not quite sure it’s bc of the OC change. Maybe the old OC knew something we didn’t… in hindsight 2023 O wasn’t as bad last year except all of gurus on this forum “trying” to hold a candle to the 2022 team. No Logan for 2023, not that he’s playing his best now, but he was playing well last year before getting hurt. So the question of why they are struggling is intriguing.

What do I know we’re not exactly lighting the world on fire in Chapel Hill!

Congrats to Terps drafted…didn’t see much Carolina blue :roll:
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

NCAA Lacrosse Tournament Preview: Maryland vs Princeton

Lacrosse Culture Daily

https://youtu.be/6gBBCPgOMpE?si=lJQvFPWn2PJTlIXM
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

.@JimStagnittaPLL on @PLLWhipsnakes drafting Ajax Zapittello over Pat Kavanagh: "Not an easy decision. At the end of the day, we got the B1G DEF PotY + B1G OFF PotY in the draft... We wanted someone who could matchup with Micahel Sowers, there is one guy that can do that."
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Luke’s big day! Logan continues his upswing from April and Terp D holds the youngsters in check. 2-3 transition goals and Terps win by 4
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Hopefully Wierman can channel a little Coach Stank for these final college games.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Jared Bernhardt at Giants minicamp
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Stony Brook's Noah Armitage headed to Maryland next year for his final year of eligibility.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I like the Armitage pick-up

2022: 20 goals on 31% shooting
2023: 26 goals/19 assists
2024: 25 goals on 37% shooting

Shot over 30% all 3 years, and looks like a guy who can hit from the outside, which is desperately needed for this team. Also has a box background so he's comfortable playing inside and around the crease as well. Got good size. Obviously have to see how he translates and it's an upgrade in competition as well, but I think he's a guy who's got the skillset that could help the team next year
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

Looks like a good pick up for Maryland. Big body and possible an outside shooter.
TerpsLax19

Post by TerpsLax19 »

Watching Denver-UM game. You telling me Brennan can’t dodge down the left and bull dodge a guy like this big middie from Denver is doing?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”