Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by HopFan16 »

Chayse Ierlan joins Degnon (and his brother TD) on the Redwoods

Smith drafted by the Boston Cannons, but the heavy implication was they are stashing his rights for 2025 under the assumption he plays another year at Homewood
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:17 pm Chayse Ierlan joins Degnon (and his brother TD) on the Redwoods

Smith drafted by the Boston Cannons, but the heavy implication was they are stashing his rights for 2025 under the assumption he plays another year at Homewood
That’s great! Congratulations to them all!

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:34 am I am not sure I agree with your conclusion norcal... Lehigh wins with defense. I took a brief look at their statistics - opponents have only scored 174 goals over 16 games - pretty easy math. They have a face-off man with a mid-high 50's success rate - their goalie is at 51%. They average about 34 shots per game and it seems they turn the ball over more than their coach would like. I would recommend staying away from Checo - averaging about 4 gbs a game and 3 CTOs a game. So thoughts:
- Not going to be the most exciting game in terms of scoring and the Pep band won't need to practice the song when Hop scores 20.
- Shots/shots/shots/shots - low probability of beating any team taking 25-30 shots. Last two games have been the two lowest shot totals of the season. After the Denver game they had a stretch of 5 games with shot totals in the 40s - won all 5 - every single loss has seen a shot total in the 30s (Michigan in the 20s)
- Personnel is the same - English only played 3 games really - mid-field production has dropped off and fell off the roof against Michigan
- The last 3 games have also seen the highest number of turnovers since the first 2 games of the season - they are averaging 16 over that span while keeping it down to around 13 for most of the season.

There's no reason for Lehigh to change the script of the last few BIG games - Bauer might get the pole again and Hopkins better have something in the bag of tricks. Might be time to let Hunter just let it loose 5-6 times at least. If Hopkins gets to 11/12 that's not a bad sign - worried about them getting there.
It is hard to gauge their stats why they've played Fairfield, Lafayette, Holy Cross, Dartmouth. Against semi good to decent offenses, they got hammered (Cornell, Rutgers, Army) save for Princeton.

I've called Hopkins a paper tiger. They need to justify that #3 seed. We'll see what happens. The goal this year wasn't to just get to the Quarter Finals.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:19 pm Yale two-way middie Jack Monfort is transferring to the Jays: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ware/63329

Three-year contributor, 57 GBs the last two seasons with 19 career points.

Great and much-needed addition at a crucial position after we lose Martin, Jaronski, etc.

Admittedly I don't know how he is defensively (will defer to the Yale guys for that) but there's nobody better than Coach K to get the most out of that position as we've seen with his work with the current group. I wonder if Hackler will join him at Homewood...
Terrific athlete, very capable of a one-man clear through traffic, can score in transition.

Defensively? Well, Yale's defense has had its well-known problems, but I don't think that's down to any one player. Monfort has quick feet and good positional sense defensively. Good lacrosse IQ.

As tough and gritty as you'd expect from a Shay player.

Perhaps Hop got its late-season loss out of its system in the conference tourney the way Yale did in 2018. Good luck against Lehigh and all the way through Memorial Day weekend.
laxfanatic

Post by laxfanatic »

I am going to the game on Sunday and according to news reports there are protesters on the JHU campus.
Is there any concern as to where they are or will the prevent or delay me from getting into the stadium?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

laxfanatic wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:41 pm I am going to the game on Sunday and according to news reports there are protesters on the JHU campus.
Is there any concern as to where they are or will the prevent or delay me from getting into the stadium?
Answered you in the other thread. Short answer: no
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

laxfanatic wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:41 pm I am going to the game on Sunday and according to news reports there are protesters on the JHU campus.
What are they " protesting "...?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:03 pm
What are they " protesting "...?
https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/news/ ... y-meeting/

They want, among other things, for Johns Hopkins to divest itself of APL. As everyone associated with Hopkins knows, the federal money given to APL dwarfs any money going to the undergraduate campus and medical school.

They might as well demand peace in the Middle East. Oh wait ….

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

The win is the most important thing obviously sunday but I'm interested to see if they change the offense at all and if they push any transition to give the offense a boost.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:29 pm The win is the most important thing obviously sunday but I'm interested to see if they change the offense at all and if they push any transition to give the offense a boost.
Coach PM discusses the need for more dynamic off-ball movement, which never hurts. We’ll see what other changes, if any, are made to the offense.

It is very encouraging that the players initiated a player-only Sunday practice. Great to hear.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:44 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:29 pm The win is the most important thing obviously sunday but I'm interested to see if they change the offense at all and if they push any transition to give the offense a boost.
Coach PM discusses the need for more dynamic off-ball movement, which never hurts. We’ll see what other changes, if any, are made to the offense.

It is very encouraging that the players initiated a player-only Sunday practice. Great to hear.

DocBarrister
I'm not holding my breath. 14 games in - I don't expect a dramatic change.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

norcalhop wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:42 pm

DocBarrister
The Big Guys just need to dodge with more pizzazz into triple teams

Lady Jays shellacked Fairfield in their opening round NCAA game today. McCormack has done a nice job with that group
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:21 pm
norcalhop wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:42 pm

DocBarrister
The Big Guys just need to dodge with more pizzazz into triple teams

Lady Jays shellacked Fairfield in their opening round NCAA game today. McCormack has done a nice job with that group
Great! That means at least two teammates are uncovered.

You do know that one good possible outcome of a dodge is drawing additional defenders?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Denver able to hold off Michigan because instead of just getting a 5 goal lead they grew it to an 8 goal lead and then continued to push despite the michigan run.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:12 pm Denver able to hold off Michigan because instead of just getting a 5 goal lead they grew it to an 8 goal lead and then continued to push despite the michigan run.
It's almost like Michigan was a mediocre team for 90% of the year and then played two elimination games where they were playing for their lives against teams that already knew their tickets were punched. Things are a little different when the other team has just as much to lose.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:12 pm Denver able to hold off Michigan because instead of just getting a 5 goal lead they grew it to an 8 goal lead and then continued to push despite the michigan run.
Hopkins can't put away teams since Towson. It is what it is.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 7:18 pm
It's almost like Michigan was a mediocre team for 90% of the year and then played two elimination games where they were playing for their lives against teams that already knew their tickets were punched. Things are a little different when the other team has just as much to lose.
Did you miss the 10 goals or less in 3 of the last 4?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Quint with the “can’t get a call” thing.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Survive and advance. Not pretty but got the job done. Needless to say they need to play a lot better than that to beat Virginia.

Back to back quarterfinals for the first time in a decade. If you had said at the start of the season that they'd win the B1G regular season, be the #3 seed, and play a game at Towson with a chance to go to the Final Four, everyone would have taken it. But can't help but feel like they've got at least one more game to win. Think the adage "no one remembers a quarterfinalist" is pretty true. I'm sure the belief is much higher in the locker room than it is on this forum.

Will miss seeing Degnon, Angelus, Szuluk, and many others on Homewood. Glad they ended it with a win. But more to do.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tion/63390

IL Media All-Americans

1st - Smith
3rd - Martin
HM - Angelus
HM - Degnon
HM - Collison
HM - Ierlan

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”