W&L 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
5Star

Re: W&L 2024

Post by 5Star »

It was such a great environment. People in the area seemed to really rally around this small mountain college as it took on some of the sport’s most mainstream brands.

It’s unfortunate, but I don’t see any small colleges being able to garner crowds like that in any sport in this day and age. Kids don’t seem have an interest anymore.
90sGeneral

Post by 90sGeneral »

choochooCharlie wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:46 pm
90sGeneral wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:53 pm
choochooCharlie wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:17 pm
valaxfan wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:15 pm
90sGeneral wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:32 am
choochooCharlie wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:44 am
90sGeneral wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:49 pm The issue is not upperclassmen vs underclassmen. The issue is the offensive midfield. They are not playmakers and force too many bad shots and turn the ball over too much. The young players are very good and this team is positioned to contend for a natty in a year or two.
Guess Mendoza’s back online :roll:
Not Mendoza. Just an alum who follows the team. Call ‘em like I see ‘em. The defense has been very solid this season. Offense is where the team struggles. Hopefully some of the injured O-mids get back on the field for the tourney. They need a spark on that end of the field to make a deep run.
What 90sG says is very astute.

valaxfan
*Mendoza
Did he do something to you? Why so butt hurt?
Nah man, making excuses for the defensive miscues ain’t it. Giving the playing time in crucial points to underclassmen was a huge issue.

You on your first ever post did the same thing he did on here all last year. I call it like I see it.
Not following. Anyhow good luck to you. I’m guessing there’s more going on but I’ll stay out of it.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

5Star wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:29 pm It was such a great environment. People in the area seemed to really rally around this small mountain college as it took on some of the sport’s most mainstream brands.

It’s unfortunate, but I don’t see any small colleges being able to garner crowds like that in any sport in this day and age. Kids don’t seem have an interest anymore.
I agree, but also for W&L, dropping down from D1 to D3 had something to do with it. Also, back around that time, VMI's basketball team was great, and made it to the NCAA Region Finals against Rutgers in 1976, then to Kentucky the next year. Lexington was hopping place back in the seventies.

valaxfan
LetTheBoyWatch

Post by LetTheBoyWatch »

90sGeneral wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:42 pm
choochooCharlie wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:46 pm
90sGeneral wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:53 pm
choochooCharlie wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:17 pm
valaxfan wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:15 pm
90sGeneral wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:32 am
choochooCharlie wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 6:44 am
90sGeneral wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:49 pm The issue is not upperclassmen vs underclassmen. The issue is the offensive midfield. They are not playmakers and force too many bad shots and turn the ball over too much. The young players are very good and this team is positioned to contend for a natty in a year or two.
Guess Mendoza’s back online :roll:
Not Mendoza. Just an alum who follows the team. Call ‘em like I see ‘em. The defense has been very solid this season. Offense is where the team struggles. Hopefully some of the injured O-mids get back on the field for the tourney. They need a spark on that end of the field to make a deep run.
What 90sG says is very astute.

valaxfan
*Mendoza
Did he do something to you? Why so butt hurt?
Nah man, making excuses for the defensive miscues ain’t it. Giving the playing time in crucial points to underclassmen was a huge issue.

You on your first ever post did the same thing he did on here all last year. I call it like I see it.
Not following. Anyhow good luck to you. I’m guessing there’s more going on but I’ll stay out of it.
It’s just disgruntled parents of players who don’t realize daddyball days are over.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Thankful the Generals get a shot at the NCAA’s once again. Don’t know much about Lake Forrest or Transylvania, but glad they get to continue to play. Very curious as to how the coaches manage the 5 days days between the ncaa announcement and the actual game on Saturday. The hope is you are playing back to back days. Conditioning this time of year is a factor as well as maybe getting someone back from the DL. The return of Beatty would be a nice chess piece to have. Not sure what was done or how the coaches handled the RMC game. It may be one of those games where you recognize it for 24 hours and then just burn the tape of the game.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:07 pm Thankful the Generals get a shot at the NCAA’s once again. Don’t know much about Lake Forrest or Transylvania, but glad they get to continue to play. Very curious as to how the coaches manage the 5 days days between the ncaa announcement and the actual game on Saturday. The hope is you are playing back to back days. Conditioning this time of year is a factor as well as maybe getting someone back from the DL. The return of Beatty would be a nice chess piece to have. Not sure what was done or how the coaches handled the RMC game. It may be one of those games where you recognize it for 24 hours and then just burn the tape of the game.
Agree Dehunt, burn that tape of RMC, after you took some notes.

valaxfan
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 2:07 pm Thankful the Generals get a shot at the NCAA’s once again. Don’t know much about Lake Forrest or Transylvania, but glad they get to continue to play. Very curious as to how the coaches manage the 5 days days between the ncaa announcement and the actual game on Saturday. The hope is you are playing back to back days. Conditioning this time of year is a factor as well as maybe getting someone back from the DL. The return of Beatty would be a nice chess piece to have. Not sure what was done or how the coaches handled the RMC game. It may be one of those games where you recognize it for 24 hours and then just burn the tape of the game.
Such a balance to strike on the conditioning front. You want to go in with a fresh CNS. Most of the coaching staffs seem to have a strategy, but, I've disliked the pod structure since it was adopted. The inability to game plan beyond the surface level for your second opponent. The taxing of teams physically, emotionally without proper recovery. Maybe I'm just entering the "get off my lawn" stage of life.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

What a great opportunity the Generals have for a shot at redemption. There’s no better cure for a loss than getting a win in your next contest. Hopefully they are primed for their game on the 11th and if successful get a shot at Lynchburg should they win on the 12th. They are in position to post another outstanding season should they get thru the next 2 contests. What makes these games so critical is the fact that W&L has so many youngsters in key roles. These additional games would provide tremendous experience for so many freshman and sophomore’s in key rolls. Having success here would really give them a boost in confidence and set the stage for continued success going into next year. Players like Haley, Cohen, Keller , Spano,Datz, Brennan, De Cain and Donahue ( can Beatty make it back) will all benefit from hopefully these additional games. So glad they made the tournament
Devil4Life

Post by Devil4Life »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:46 am What a great opportunity the Generals have for a shot at redemption. There’s no better cure for a loss than getting a win in your next contest. Hopefully they are primed for their game on the 11th and if successful get a shot at Lynchburg should they win on the 12th. They are in position to post another outstanding season should they get thru the next 2 contests. What makes these games so critical is the fact that W&L has so many youngsters in key roles. These additional games would provide tremendous experience for so many freshman and sophomore’s in key rolls. Having success here would really give them a boost in confidence and set the stage for continued success going into next year. Players like Haley, Cohen, Keller , Spano,Datz, Brennan, De Cain and Donahue ( can Beatty make it back) will all benefit from hopefully these additional games. So glad they made the tournament
Freshman face-off kid is one of the best I’ve seen. He should transfer to UVA.
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Why? Life and education in Lexington is awfully nice.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Faxlax wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:40 am Why? Life and education in Lexington is awfully nice.
and no frats in charlottesville
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Devil4Life wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:15 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:46 am What a great opportunity the Generals have for a shot at redemption. There’s no better cure for a loss than getting a win in your next contest. Hopefully they are primed for their game on the 11th and if successful get a shot at Lynchburg should they win on the 12th. They are in position to post another outstanding season should they get thru the next 2 contests. What makes these games so critical is the fact that W&L has so many youngsters in key roles. These additional games would provide tremendous experience for so many freshman and sophomore’s in key rolls. Having success here would really give them a boost in confidence and set the stage for continued success going into next year. Players like Haley, Cohen, Keller , Spano,Datz, Brennan, De Cain and Donahue ( can Beatty make it back) will all benefit from hopefully these additional games. So glad they made the tournament
Don't think I haven't thought of that but he's just fine where he is. UVA has won their fair share of Natty's, its our turn :D!

valaxfan
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Laxattackjack wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:53 am
Faxlax wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:40 am Why? Life and education in Lexington is awfully nice.
and no frats in charlottesville
I remember fun times on Rugby Road :roll:

valaxfan
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Devil4Life wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:15 pm
Why? He would have attended UVA if he wanted to do that. He lives there! (just like Shellenberger)

There is a good reason so many favor W&L….it is highly ranked academically with small classes, and it delivers its graduates high compensation employment after a tremendous college experience.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

5Star wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:29 pm It was such a great environment. People in the area seemed to really rally around this small mountain college as it took on some of the sport’s most mainstream brands.

That's def part of it, the volume of attention grabbing alternatives. I also think the way the game has expanded, there are so very many D3 schools, playing games at the same time.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

MVPiccoli wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:26 am

That's def part of it, the volume of attention grabbing alternatives. I also think the way the game has expanded, there are so very many D3 schools, playing games at the same time.
Great points MVP,, as back in the day, W&L, Virginia, and Roanoke were the only schools really playing lax at a high level so it drew more attention. Today, so many schools in Virginia playing lax, and its a good thing. If W&L were to make it to a NCAA title game, I am not sure they would garner the crowd size today, that they would have back in the 70s. Lexington has had 10,000 fans at W&L before for football games when they were D1 back in the 40s and 50s but that also leads well to your point about the only game in town with all the attention on this small school.

valaxfan
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Wilson Field was full for the UNC game in 1980. Was that the last time? Attendance that day was boosted by Mock Convention weekend, but it was also a very big game (we lost, beginning a sad slide to end a very good season).
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Cheeseandcrackers wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:50 am

Wilson Field was full for the UNC game in 1980. Was that the last time? Attendance that day was boosted by Mock Convention weekend, but it was also a very big game (we lost, beginning a sad slide to end a very good season).
Maybe UVA the next year, we lost that too unfortunately, but you may be correct.

valaxfan
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Cheeseandcrackers wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:50 am

I believe it was the last time your name sake had a very good team, although the 82' Armadillo team was good, before moving on to Army in 1984. Then, we suffered for several years in the transition to D3 from D1.

valaxfan
Heaterman10

Post by Heaterman10 »

Wilson field was sold out for the Roanoke game in ‘87. ‘87 was the first year of D3 lacrosse W&L. The team spent time at #1 in the polls during the season, at the time Hobart was in the middle of their D3 Nat’l Championship run. The ‘87 team lost in the NCAA tourney final four to Ohio Wesleyan. A team they beat badly during the season. The OWU head coach was Mike Pressler. One would say they were looking ahead to play Hobart.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”