Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Justalaxdad

Re: Games Today

Post by Justalaxdad »

And the committee’s job begins.

So with Richmond and Niagara pulling off the upsets, will that knock some bubble teams out? Do Fairfield and Umass get at large bids?
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:30 pm
Justalaxdad wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:24 pm
Justalaxdad wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:05 pm
laxlaxlax wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:34 pm Penn are up 8-5 going into the final quarter against Yale.

Probably the most impactful game of the day in terms of the committee decisions tonight around seeding and hosting.
After watching this game, it’s clear neither one of these teams belong in the top 8.
Just don’t think either one of them is a top 8 team in the country. I watch a lot of lacrosse games across all conferences and in my opinion, both would be lucky to be .500 in the Big10 or ACC. They both are definitely tournament teams but neither should be seeded. Just an opinion.
Yeah, hard to disagree with that assessment. I just think that both are good teams. My guess is both would beat Clemson, Duke, Pitt, VTech; not sure what they do against UNC this year. Penn did beat Maryland.
True about Penn/Maryland. I just think when you have to get up for that one game, it’s a bit easier to pull off the upset as opposed to going through a season gauntlet in one of those conferences. We shall see soon enough! Come on 9:00!
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Shout-out to the Binghamton Bearcats with their first ever AEC conf championship (and, I believe, first ever win over UAlbany)!
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

laxlaxlax wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:34 pm Penn are up 8-5 going into the final quarter against Yale.

Probably the most impactful game of the day in terms of the committee decisions tonight around seeding and hosting.
After watching this game, it’s clear neither one of these teams belong in the top 8.
Just don’t think either one of them is a top 8 team in the country. I watch a lot of lacrosse games across all conferences and in my opinion, both would be lucky to finish 5th in the Big10 or ACC. They both are definitely tournament teams but neither should be seeded. Just an opinion.

Edited for the .500 part of it. That was a bit harsh.
I agree with this take, I think all three ivies - Yale, Penn and Princeton sit better within the 10-20 rankings currently. Then Harvard and Brown sits 20-25.

Penn really dropped the ball with that game, 4 goals ahead with 9 minutes left.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

GratefulRed wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:43 pm Shout-out to the Binghamton Bearcats with their first ever AEC conf championship (and, I believe, first ever win over UAlbany)!
Love that!!
Bystanders

Post by Bystanders »

Just don’t think either one of them is a top 8 team in the country. I watch a lot of lacrosse games across all conferences and in my opinion, both would be lucky to finish 5th in the Big10 or ACC. They both are definitely tournament teams but neither should be seeded. Just an opinion.

Well considering Penn beat Maryland (#3 in Big10), and Hopkins (#5) heads - Princeton beat Penn State (#4) and Yale went 3-0 vs Penn and Princeton, I’d say they fit right in after Northwestern and Michigan if they were in the Big10.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Bystanders wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:47 pm

Well considering Penn beat Maryland (#3 in Big10), and Hopkins (#5) heads - Princeton beat Penn State (#4) and Yale went 3-0 vs Penn and Princeton, I’d say they fit right in after Northwestern and Michigan if they were in the Big10.
I think that's part of why Justalaxdad pared back the statement about .500 for Yale and Penn in the ACC and B1G.
CTra

Post by CTra »

laxlaxlax wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 2:46 pm

I agree with this take, I think all three ivies - Yale, Penn and Princeton sit better within the 10-20 rankings currently. Then Harvard and Brown sits 20-25.

Penn really dropped the ball with that game, 4 goals ahead with 9 minutes left.
Where do I even begin to start about this game. Penn had a 5 goal lead earlier, let Yale come back within one, then let a 4 goal lead evaporate. I believe Penn was the better team for 75% of the game, but the final quarter was catastrophic. They don't play from behind the net a lot. They just keep passing back and forth around the 8 meter perimeter waiting for something magical to happen, where Yale was moving the ball all around. I saw an offensive set where #14 (leads in assist, 3rd in points) never touched the ball and the girls that were handling the ball had numerous turnovers. If Penn were to win, I probably wouldn't be questioning this strategy because what do I know. I just feel like this type of "selfish" offensive play exploits their defense and cost them the game. Penn's 4 yellow cards in the first quarter was weird too. Hate to say this as a Penn fan but if you're going to let an opponent come back like that, then Yale deserves the win.
CTra

Post by CTra »

I think Penn is definitely top tier team. Historically, they have beaten the top ranked teams. Do I believe they belong in the top 8? I don't really know. I did listen to a Karin Corbett interview. In recent years, she has had a hard time scheduling ACC teams. She felt that Penn was a "loose cannon" for teams in very touch conferences.
BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet »

Agree! justalaxdad did you watch these teams all season? penn beat MD, hopkins AND loyola, lost to michigan by 1 goal. 5 RPI is hard to argue.. I wasnt so impressed with yale's entire season and dont know how far they will go but they did beat the quakers when it mattered so they deserve to be there. Penn had an outstanding season, they just couldnt get past the conference rival avenging their IVY loss last year. game definitly got sloppy in the 4q and in the rain. Michigan and maryland choked early in their conference tournament but assuming you dont feel the same way about them?
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

BackOfTheNet wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:59 pm

Agree! justalaxdad did you watch these teams all season? penn beat MD, hopkins AND loyola, lost to michigan by 1 goal. 5 RPI is hard to argue.. I wasnt so impressed with yale's entire season and dont know how far they will go but they did beat the quakers when it mattered so they deserve to be there. Penn had an outstanding season, they just couldnt get past the conference rival avenging their IVY loss last year. game definitly got sloppy in the 4q and in the rain. Michigan and maryland choked early in their conference tournament but assuming you dont feel the same way about them?
I did and I also agree with you to an extent, maybe the sloppy game was too impressionable on me. To be fair, my thoughts weren’t that far off as both were seeded but lower than their RPI’s you mention. Yale also get blown out when they played BC - no shame in that of course but it does need to be mentioned. They also lost to Denver. Their two biggest wins were against Penn and both were essentially home games. Other than those two, they have no signature wins. Penn on the other hand did beat Maryland and lost a close game to Michigan. I think on a neutral field, Penn beats Yale.

All that being said, I’m very happy to see the Ivies back in the fold and both can win their first two games. This all went back to whether I thought they should be seeded, not whether they should included in the tournament at all. Both are very deserving to be in and I wish them both well.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”