Hobart 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
thehashslingingslash

Re: Hobart 2025

Post by thehashslingingslash »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:17 pm
thehashslingingslash wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:12 pm To be honest, I don’t think Raymond cares at all what’s going on with this forum. Good coaches focus on what matters, and this is not it. This upcoming season they need to work harder than they ever had and perfect their craft. Saint Joes won by a larger margin today than they did against the statesmen.

This upcoming senior class is talented, dedicated and hungry. I think we have a few diamonds in the rough within this roster. No one wants it as bad as these guys and I can’t wait to see what they do. Let’s go Bart
He cared enough to take the time in the podcast to be bitchy about it. The old' "you don't have all the information so shut up" play. Of course there's always the alternative of modfying the method and frequency of communication. But some folks like the play the information asymmetry game as their (temporary) advantage and some just work to outrun the competitoin.
To describe his words as “bitchy” is childish. This is a guy who puts all of his time and energy into coaching and molding these kids. It’s easy to judge and trash from an anonymous alias online. The reality is none of us have someone criticizing every decision we make on a daily basis. I think we all need to realize that this is someone who consistently makes decisions with his players best interest in mind. Whether you like it or not he is doing right by these kids. Win or lose I am thankful to have him, brundage and fisher leading these young men.
fourrings1988

Post by fourrings1988 »

thehashslingingslash wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 pm
thehashslingingslash wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:12 pm To be honest, I don’t think Raymond cares at all what’s going on with this forum. Good coaches focus on what matters, and this is not it. This upcoming season they need to work harder than they ever had and perfect their craft. Saint Joes won by a larger margin today than they did against the statesmen.

This upcoming senior class is talented, dedicated and hungry. I think we have a few diamonds in the rough within this roster. No one wants it as bad as these guys and I can’t wait to see what they do. Let’s go Bart
He cared enough to take the time in the podcast to be bitchy about it. The old' "you don't have all the information so shut up" play. Of course there's always the alternative of modfying the method and frequency of communication. But some folks like the play the information asymmetry game as their (temporary) advantage and some just work to outrun the competitoin.
To describe his words as “bitchy” is childish. This is a guy who puts all of his time and energy into coaching and molding these kids. It’s easy to judge and trash from an anonymous alias online. The reality is none of us have someone criticizing every decision we make on a daily basis. I think we all need to realize that this is someone who consistently makes decisions with his players best interest in mind. Whether you like it or not he is doing right by these kids. Win or lose I am thankful to have him, brundage and fisher leading these young men.
Last edited by fourrings1988 on Sun May 05, 2024 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
thehashslingingslash

Post by thehashslingingslash »

I know im probably wasting my Saturday night on here, but I believe what I believe. I think that if we are not in the locker room or at practice every day the truth is that we really don’t know what’s going on and this is nothing but speculation. From everything I’ve heard, I really do think the guys who will be leading this team from know are as good of leaders as the statesman have had in a long time. Firth, Rosa, John jude, etc are complete competitors and I can’t wait to see how they lead these guy. FMU!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

In fact my business is scrutinized every single day. Either by boards, regulators or accounting firm partners who really want to be deal guys but are too trained in a backward looking function (accounting). All the time before w even discuss vendor due diligence done in me at least intent by somebody. Oh yeah and my competition can always get a better deal in whatever I advised on after it’s been announced. So in Raleigh I have people calling everything I do out daily and I’m not the only person. This is just not accurate and fragile foundation for everything else around it in this argument. Then, You’re assuming a lot about other people’s intentions and inside Raymond’s mind unless…

"Whether I like it or not he's doing right by these kids" - FIrst of all you have to be simple to think I wouldn't like it. I support the insitution and the program. No one person is bigger than this and that includes the HC today. Secondly, I have a lot of former starters under Raymond who would tell you otherwise. Fun to project about anonymous online this and that and everyone else is speculating and getting after folks and yet you haven't offered one tangible argument on the "pro" side of the ledger. Not one.

No one’s noticed like several new handles here in the last week

? And it doesn’t seem odd to anyone else? It would be a shame is anyone employed as part of the staff were participating here or having any involvement.

Guess what? Every professional puts all their time and energy into their work. Ever see every bankers family except the banker on the jersey shore every summer?

These morality arguments are getting pathetic. How many admin have been let go in the last decade at HWS? How many people have been cut from any job, industry or company for the last three decades. There is podcast out he effectively controls what is sounds like.

Can call it childish all you want hut I have a better grasp in who deserves a check and who doesn’t clearly. You familiar with the massive trial deficit we have that even the $100mm won’t do jack to solve?

Now you are full of ish and somebody else playing games. Anonymous alias. I’m not anonymous when I speak with board members of other senior admin and faculty. This is pathetic. Totally weak and lame by some “anonymous poster” taking shots at someone else/. What a douche.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sun May 05, 2024 5:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

fourrings1988 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:26 pm

I agree hash, this page is mostly has beens who have no idea the amount of time and effort goes into what these young me. Are doing on a daily basis. The players on this team have played 10x the amount of lacrosse that any of us have. Between club and high school. The game isn’t even the same sport.
Weren’t you talking about and bragging about your rings a second ago? Give me a heck break.

Hey Matnum, it may make sense to check IP addresses in the plethora of posters who just showed up in the thread. It reeks of pathetic dishonesty. Two guys wrapped around each other agreeing is a dead giveaway. Good stuff.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

thehashslingingslash wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 8:30 pm I know im probably wasting my Saturday night on here, but I believe what I believe. I think that if we are not in the locker room or at practice every day the truth is that we really don’t know what’s going on and this is nothing but speculation. From everything I’ve heard, I really do think the guys who will be leading this team from know are as good of leaders as the statesman have had in a long time. Firth, Rosa, John jude, etc are complete competitors and I can’t wait to see how they lead these guy. FMU!
Your speculation is awesome but others is trash. Brilliant.

So lame.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Let’s get on topic: jobs are description of duties and responsibilities and expectations. For all the moral talk there’s next to no talk about the wave of layoffs that includes Gray. But when a nice guy who the locals like comes up…no way we can discuss actual liek performance and accountability. That’s the HWS way! (Jodi Dean is still getting paid and I have to believe she blew her tenure up with her behavior and comments).

Four straight years of declining records: 6-3, 7-6, 5-8, 4-9.

Could argue we were close to being in A10 tourney but hopes aren’t that high which isn’t good based on expectations for the job.

23-7 against a good but not great Cornell. 4-0 before anyone paid attention on the team vs Albany.

What was the halftime score vs Richmond? 14-2 maybe.

Q4 loss to UMASS

Uncompetitive Vs St Joes

2023: nearly blew large leads to Romo and Colgate, did blow a large lead to Dartmouth.

2022: red largely clean year but even missing 2-3 starters the SHU loss was bad. Mediocre Lehigh team early season win is too 4-5 highlight in Raymond’s ten year career (NEC title, GTown and Cornell wins in weak years for those teams and that’s really it-lots of Ws agains Canisius, Siena, MSM, SHU and rising D2 teams.

2021: more or less lost control while in Covid and w Knox. 6-3 w two wins over MSM

2019: sickening finish to season twice v RoMo and nearly let SHU back into a semi game we were up by like 7-8 late. Loss to LIU and OT win over Wagner.

2018: 4 win season

2017: NEC final should’ve made everyone here throw up. Pressler grata but completely embarrassed Raymond coaching that day

2016: great run on Browns back but some nasty reg season losses and unfortunately got punished by an excellent Towson team
In the play in.

2015: lost last four games of season incl MSM last win of season was a dominant 7-6 OT win over Wagner

Nobody can say with a straight face in 2014 that this body of work with a highly diluted schedule and in a weaker conference would be a reasonable and acceptable outcome over a decade for this program. It’s….that….simple. No notable wins and lots of eye catching losses.

Does anyone recall the game played the day Kerwick was fired? 10-6 physical emasculation of a ranked Loyola team. And I think he wasn’t great mainly for future and attrition reasons. That win was two years after they beat Cuse and also he won ECaC coy in the year he was hired. We can lower or ignore standards but then what’s the point of discussion or caring about any of this.

In my world guys are expected to generate with their teams a min of $2-$5mm in revenue every year. They might get a second year if one is bad. GE, Merrill and others have consistently cut bottom “X” % every year. Folks need to stop talking about morality on people’s jobs and who’s using what anonymously or not (it I’m on record with board members and certain admin it ain’t anonymous, the faux tough guys who want to make some moral calling out or whatnot just don’t matter or are important to me so they don’t need to know that’s just ego/inflated sense of self and they are attempting to project back on others clearly.

Last thing that’s a specious bs argument:

Just because the landscape has changed is not a lifetime employment excuse for no standard or accountability. Anyone who believes that to be the case as some have embedded in their arguments to continue to make excuses aren’t exactly living the life of leadership themselves. So far if one read all the arguments in support they would be tantamount to speculation about unquantifiable aspects combined with a demand that we lower expectations. How many employees tell their stakeholders how the job description and perfomance should be defined. Or if you want to make that case man up and say it straight. Except that's risky of offending where he could lose his job. The entire last few podcasts are him trying to thread the needle while not offering any tangible evidence of who, what, where, when or why so why even bother with the podcast.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sun May 05, 2024 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

thehashslingingslash wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:54 pm I agree that some of these numbers are far fetched. While I believe that a lot of our injuries are due to amount of mass, I don't think packing on excessive amounts of weight is the answer.

I believe that these guys need two spend some time on the wall. In my day, the stick was an extension of the hands. I think Alex Rosa is a prime example of this. From what I have heard, he sleeps, eats, and breaths lacrosse. We need more guys, on both sides of the ball with this same mentality. Vin Orlando was an example of this on the defensive end. He has as good of a stick as I've seen with a pole in years. If he had better footwork, his name would be thrown around with the likes of Jake Pesina from Albany. I agree with slum dog, I could see micheal Bennet filling a similar role, except his footwork is far more impressive. TO go along with this, I've also seen him dive for countless groundballs, he embodies the word grit. Also hoping Stillwell finds some Tim,e next year, his hitch to his left hand seems unstoppable, wether you know its coming or not.
None of this is speculation at all. Becasue we shouldn't do that without knowing everything the way the coaches know it.
See Martin, Malcolm
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

I will add one thought to all - whether that be alumni like us, current parents -or players, or if true, current coaching staff (which they certainly can join in the fun!)

There seems to be a theme around what happens in practice and locker room that is either good or bad and most of us have no idea. And another theme around whether coaches are really competent in their decision making around recruiting, play-time, game strategy.

I think the first point can connect to retention of players. If no one leaves or quits then I find it tough to criticize anything about the culture. The second point is all around the success on the field as a team. I personally havent seen the performance on the field that I would hope and expect. And i just refuse to believe that it’s because we dont have talent. It could because we have the wrong players but that it on the coaching staff. It could be that we have exactly the right players but we dont know how to manage the games. Remember what coach said “these kids look amazing in practice and then something changes in the game”.

Coaching is a tough thing and I have deep empathy for them. But so is working in any craft. And when you making the same or two many mistakes, the accountability cant be that my pencil wasn’t sharp…..or a need a better computer….or my desk chair is not great for my back. Or WORSE, these other employees need to just work harder and tomorrow I am going to come to work and do everything the same.

Getting better requires ability to change and change fast. That is my observed issue over the past at least 5 years.
brodad

Post by brodad »

"Getting better requires ability to change and change fast. That is my observed issue over the past at least 5 years."

That line sums up a lot of what my untrained eye saw this season...a lack of change even when it was needed. We'd occasionally change goalies, but that seemed to be about it, even when it looked like whatever we were doing wasn't working. Again, I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Nothing wrong with criticism. That's part of the job. Raymond doesn't care about Fanlax ... or at least he shouldn't. His sense of himself as a coach comes from elsewhere. Look at who he's surrounded by. Hobart Ice Hockey National Champs back to back in a field larger than D1 lacrosse. Hobart basketball league Champs. Hobart soccer league Champs. WS lacrosse with a 1 loss season and in the NCAAs ... perennial contenders. WS soccer, winningest coach in NCAA soccer history, three rings, in a field of over 460 teams. It goes on and on. From bowling to squash. Standards are high. That's why it's a good gig. Whatever you think of his coaching, he's not a snowflake. He can deal with whatever we dish.
Agree with FFG that it isn't a moral issue. It's just people who care about the program talking lacrosse. More Ws and the themes would be different.
Does he treat his players right? I've got no way to say, so I assume yes. The only reason it's come up is guys tightening up and having full quarter collapses.
Also, any prospect deciding where to go based on a fanlax thread needs better advice. I'm not worried about what this thread does to the team. If anything, everyone here thinks the team has the talent.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bartfromboston wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:32 am I will add one thought to all - whether that be alumni like us, current parents -or players, or if true, current coaching staff (which they certainly can join in the fun!)

There seems to be a theme around what happens in practice and locker room that is either good or bad and most of us have no idea. And another theme around whether coaches are really competent in their decision making around recruiting, play-time, game strategy.

I think the first point can connect to retention of players. If no one leaves or quits then I find it tough to criticize anything about the culture. The second point is all around the success on the field as a team. I personally havent seen the performance on the field that I would hope and expect. And i just refuse to believe that it’s because we dont have talent. It could because we have the wrong players but that it on the coaching staff. It could be that we have exactly the right players but we dont know how to manage the games. Remember what coach said “these kids look amazing in practice and then something changes in the game”.

Coaching is a tough thing and I have deep empathy for them. But so is working in any craft. And when you making the same or two many mistakes, the accountability cant be that my pencil wasn’t sharp…..or a need a better computer….or my desk chair is not great for my back. Or WORSE, these other employees need to just work harder and tomorrow I am going to come to work and do everything the same.

Getting better requires ability to change and change fast. That is my observed issue over the past at least 5 years.
Word-five of my posts in your second to last sentence.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:36 am Nothing wrong with criticism. That's part of the job. Raymond doesn't care about Fanlax ... or at least he shouldn't. His sense of himself as a coach comes from elsewhere. Look at who he's surrounded by. Hobart Ice Hockey National Champs back to back in a field larger than D1 lacrosse. Hobart basketball league Champs. Hobart soccer league Champs. WS lacrosse with a 1 loss season and in the NCAAs ... perennial contenders. WS soccer, winningest coach in NCAA soccer history, three rings, in a field of over 460 teams. It goes on and on. From bowling to squash. Standards are high. That's why it's a good gig. Whatever you think of his coaching, he's not a snowflake. He can deal with whatever we dish.
Agree with FFG that it isn't a moral issue. It's just people who care about the program talking lacrosse. More Ws and the themes would be different.
Does he treat his players right? I've got no way to say, so I assume yes. The only reason it's come up is guys tightening up and having full quarter collapses.
Also, any prospect deciding where to go based on a fanlax thread needs better advice. I'm not worried about what this thread does to the team. If anything, everyone here thinks the team has the talent.
No Ali Marpet? Or too stale now?
See Martin, Malcolm
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Watching the ACC championship highlights one thing we needed all season and just didn't have, a second midfield. ND is consistently running a 2nd midfield and used a 3rd midfield in the semis. Our offense, specifically the 1st (only?) middie line , was gassed by the start of Q4. ND is killing Duke with their depth. It is something we need to develop early in the season by running a lot of players in the first 3-5 games.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Ali is another example of high standards ... after a stellar career in the NFL, all star, Superbowl ring, player rep, I hear he is in a doctoral program in psychology of some type. The student-athlete thing is real.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Finally got around to the podcast. As Raymond said, chirping is what Fanlax is for. I thought his summary of the season and what to do moving forward was pretty solid: new systems on O anD that are looser and let the guys play more freely. Work the new systems to fit the guys we have. I even heard him wonder if he should've played a longer bench this year. In the end, I thought he took responsibility for the season and knows he's got to figure out how to get the guys playing 4 quarters.
Putting that all to the side, the team is in the off season. Lift, eat right, sleep, play lacrosse, play wall ball, practice shooting, and come back stronger. That's what you can control.
Hebrewhammer

Post by Hebrewhammer »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:12 am Let’s get on topic: jobs are description of duties and responsibilities and expectations. For all the moral talk there’s next to no talk about the wave of layoffs that includes Gray. But when a nice guy who the locals like comes up…no way we can discuss actual liek performance and accountability. That’s the HWS way! (Jodi Dean is still getting paid and I have to believe she blew her tenure up with her behavior and comments).

Four straight years of declining records: 6-3, 7-6, 5-8, 4-9.

Could argue we were close to being in A10 tourney but hopes aren’t that high which isn’t good based on expectations for the job.

23-7 against a good but not great Cornell. 4-0 before anyone paid attention on the team vs Albany.

What was the halftime score vs Richmond? 14-2 maybe.

Q4 loss to UMASS

Uncompetitive Vs St Joes

2023: nearly blew large leads to Romo and Colgate, did blow a large lead to Dartmouth.

2022: red largely clean year but even missing 2-3 starters the SHU loss was bad. Mediocre Lehigh team early season win is too 4-5 highlight in Raymond’s ten year career (NEC title, GTown and Cornell wins in weak years for those teams and that’s really it-lots of Ws agains Canisius, Siena, MSM, SHU and rising D2 teams.

2021: more or less lost control while in Covid and w Knox. 6-3 w two wins over MSM

2019: sickening finish to season twice v RoMo and nearly let SHU back into a semi game we were up by like 7-8 late. Loss to LIU and OT win over Wagner.

2018: 4 win season

2017: NEC final should’ve made everyone here throw up. Pressler grata but completely embarrassed Raymond coaching that day

2016: great run on Browns back but some nasty reg season losses and unfortunately got punished by an excellent Towson team
In the play in.

2015: lost last four games of season incl MSM last win of season was a dominant 7-6 OT win over Wagner

Nobody can say with a straight face in 2014 that this body of work with a highly diluted schedule and in a weaker conference would be a reasonable and acceptable outcome over a decade for this program. It’s….that….simple. No notable wins and lots of eye catching losses.

Does anyone recall the game played the day Kerwick was fired? 10-6 physical emasculation of a ranked Loyola team. And I think he wasn’t great mainly for future and attrition reasons. That win was two years after they beat Cuse and also he won ECaC coy in the year he was hired. We can lower or ignore standards but then what’s the point of discussion or caring about any of this.

In my world guys are expected to generate with their teams a min of $2-$5mm in revenue every year. They might get a second year if one is bad. GE, Merrill and others have consistently cut bottom “X” % every year. Folks need to stop talking about morality on people’s jobs and who’s using what anonymously or not (it I’m on record with board members and certain admin it ain’t anonymous, the faux tough guys who want to make some moral calling out or whatnot just don’t matter or are important to me so they don’t need to know that’s just ego/inflated sense of self and they are attempting to project back on others clearly.

Last thing that’s a specious bs argument:

Just because the landscape has changed is not a lifetime employment excuse for no standard or accountability. Anyone who believes that to be the case as some have embedded in their arguments to continue to make excuses aren’t exactly living the life of leadership themselves. So far if one read all the arguments in support they would be tantamount to speculation about unquantifiable aspects combined with a demand that we lower expectations. How many employees tell their stakeholders how the job description and perfomance should be defined. Or if you want to make that case man up and say it straight. Except that's risky of offending where he could lose his job. The entire last few podcasts are him trying to thread the needle while not offering any tangible evidence of who, what, where, when or why so why even bother with the podcast.
Your finance job sounds very impressive
lakelax

Post by lakelax »

Laxgunea wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:06 pm Finally got around to the podcast. As Raymond said, chirping is what Fanlax is for. I thought his summary of the season and what to do moving forward was pretty solid: new systems on O anD that are looser and let the guys play more freely. Work the new systems to fit the guys we have. I even heard him wonder if he should've played a longer bench this year. In the end, I thought he took responsibility for the season and knows he's got to figure out how to get the guys playing 4 quarters.
Putting that all to the side, the team is in the off season. Lift, eat right, sleep, play lacrosse, play wall ball, practice shooting, and come back stronger. That's what you can control.
Glad to finally be on here. As an alum and an avid reader of the forums, I love to hear how much pride surrounds this program still. I have a few concerns though…

Raymond is extremely power driven.
He fails to adapt to change within the game (transfer portal)
He is too stubborn to make change because he wants to prove his way is the right way (which hasn’t been working for the past year)

Honestly, something needs to change, and he needs a wake up call. From what I’ve heard, kids dislike him at the end of the day. It’s time for a change.

I think we can expect to see some notable players leave this program coming within the next few weeks. If this next recruiting class, which I’m hearing is good and the first athletes that have been awarded athletic scholarships, is not good, then we are done for. We need depth. We need guys that can play.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Welcome aboard LakeLax! Your key point

"He is too stubborn to make change because he wants to prove his way is the right way (which hasn’t been working for the past year)"
should read "years".

Maybe, just maybe, Coach should listen to others rather than his own thoughts. Because for the past 2 seasons, he sure hasn't changed anything from what we can see. His teams are 16-23 over the past 3 seasons. 7-6 in '22, 5-8 in '23 and 4-9 in '24. See a trend? 3 years is a decent statistical sample. I'm leaving out the '20 covid season and the conference only season of '21. Yes the 2019 was 11-5 with a stacked offense. So... here we are with the 2024 season over. What is changing so that we can AT LEAST make the conference playoffs in a 6 team conference with the top 4 teams have shot to make it to the NCAA tourney?? Not being able to realize that what has been tried isn't working for the past 3 season is akin to that definition of insanity.
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

lakelax wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:57 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 7:06 pm Finally got around to the podcast. As Raymond said, chirping is what Fanlax is for. I thought his summary of the season and what to do moving forward was pretty solid: new systems on O anD that are looser and let the guys play more freely. Work the new systems to fit the guys we have. I even heard him wonder if he should've played a longer bench this year. In the end, I thought he took responsibility for the season and knows he's got to figure out how to get the guys playing 4 quarters.
Glad to finally be on here. As an alum and an avid reader of the forums, I love to hear how much pride surrounds this program still. I have a few concerns though…

Raymond is extremely power driven.
He fails to adapt to change within the game (transfer portal)
He is too stubborn to make change because he wants to prove his way is the right way (which hasn’t been working for the past year)

Honestly, something needs to change, and he needs a wake up call. From what I’ve heard, kids dislike him at the end of the day. It’s time for a change.

I think we can expect to see some notable players leave this program coming within the next few weeks. If this next recruiting class, which I’m hearing is good and the first athletes that have been awarded athletic scholarships, is not good, then we are done for. We need depth. We need guys that can play.
Amen. I would take the word “dislike” away - its not a dislike, its just a lack of enjoyment. Its not fun to work your tail off every day, watch it not work, know exactly what needs to change as players, bring it up to coach(s), only to see nothing change. We will never have 3 midfield lines because it’s not our system. Our system is to pick some horses, ride them win or lose until they get injured (trust me I was injured multiple times in my 4 years) or until it works. And if it doesnt work, wait until next year and try again with new horses. I think the podcast comments about self reflection is maybe targeting the alumni on fanlax ironically, You have to signal hope for the upcoming games and years to keep your job. Especially in the middle of a large capital campaign which all of us have likely been called upon to support.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”