ivy league 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PizzaSnake

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by PizzaSnake »

norcalhop wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:55 am AQs upsets will make many strong teams left out this year.
“Coffee’s for closers.”
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:00 am
norcalhop wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:55 am AQs upsets will make many strong teams left out this year.
“Coffee’s for closers.”
Always Be Closing
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Quakers really hammered Cornell’s offensive players,
of course, especially Kirst.

It looked to me the intimidation factor was part of the game
plan, and Quakers were willing to live with the penalties
given Carroll is in net.

Not convinced that will work against Princeton.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

If Michigan is the AQ from the Big 10 (only way they get in) neither the BE nor Ivy get more than 1 at large. And that's not guaranteed. Everybody hope for a Penn St win tonight.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

faircornell wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:10 pm All tremendously worthy honorees. Congratulations to them. As I noted on the Cornell thread, it is a bit surprising that Ryan Goldstein received no recognition. Goldstein led the Ivy Frosh in both goals (14) and points (22).
Is that just in Ivy play your referencing because Nate kabiri has 50pts right now
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

10stone5 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:13 am
“Coffee’s for closers.”
Always Be Closing
One of my favorite films. I also saw the play. It was great.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

joewillie78 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:22 am
DA/PU wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:42 am
The Orfling wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:26 am
DA/PU wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:28 pm I would be pretty annoyed if big East gets 3 teams and Ivy only 1. Big East is not that strong top to bottom. Only the AQ at this point gives ivies any peace of mind. League deserves an at large IMO but a lot to shake out with upset minded nova and Michigan. Psu looks legit though.
I am guessing Cornell still makes it into the NCAAs, along with the AQ winner (Penn or Princeton). I could also see both Penn and Princeton getting in, maybe, with Cornell on the outside looking in, if Princeton wins the AQ. Penn is sitting at #9 in RPI after tonight's games; Cornell at #12; Yale #13. It would be quite frustrating for the Big Red to be iced out with the close losses to ND and Denver but the RPI math is tough to overcome and the RPI that gaveth in 2022 may taketh in 2024.

There's a world where the Ivy League could have gotten 3 bids, but a few too many high-profile out of conference losses (Penn to Georgetown and UNC; Yale to PSU; Cornell to Denver and PSU; Princeton to Syracuse and Maryland) signals that it's not in the cards, even though the Ivies had some reasonably good out-of-conference wins also (Penn over Duke; Yale over Denver; Harvard over Michigan; Cornell over Syracuse). If the Ivy League is a 1-bid team that will be frustrating but it can happen in bid-stealing seasons when the RPI of a conference takes a hit with a couple of teams that really struggle out of conference (Dartmouth and Brown this year).

I continue to think that Princeton, although inconsistent earlier in the year, is closing strong: their defense looks pretty good; their FOGO McMeekin has heated up; Gianforcaro on a good day is as good as any goalie in the country; and they can score in bunches with Mackesy, Kabiri, Burns et al. I am thinking they repeat the regular season result and beat Penn to get the AQ, and if they are the unseeded 9 team the 8 seed will not like the matchup . . . not one little bit.
As a Princeton guy I’m thrilled with how their young squad is playing. Penn will be really tough. Carroll can shut the door on any team if he plays like he did last night.
If Princeton beats Penn, surely Cornell is OUT, and if I were a Penn fan (much like I was in 2019, when Cornell beat ND at ND), I would be extremely upset if they chose Cornell OVER Penn, after Penn beat Cornell TWICE, and one of those at a place where no one has beaten Cornell up until last night.

Look, I'm a diehard Cornell fan, but Penn beat us TWICE, and deserves the bid over Cornell, win or lose.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
In 2015, Brown got an NCAA bid and Princeton did not based on head to head. Princeton had a better resume with wins over Hopkins, Cornell and Yale. All tournament teams.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:43 pm
“Coffee’s for closers.”
Always Be Closing
A lesser known parody classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_vSirIJEsY
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 2:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:43 pm
“Coffee’s for closers.”
Always Be Closing
A lesser known parody classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_vSirIJEsY
3rd Prize is You're Fired !
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

10stone5 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:19 am Quakers really hammered Cornell’s offensive players,

given Carroll is in net.

The "forklift" and drop was pretty wild.

Said at the outset of the season: Squeakers rise and fall with Carroll. As for whether a physical game "works" against Princeton, we'll have to see if Princeton can exploit any resultant penalties better than Cornell. I was struck at how physically average to small Penn is at attack and midfield, coupled with bruisers on defense. The diversity of scoring and replacement of Cam by others had to be giving the Cornell d-coordinator fits. Incidentally, what happened to Gabe Furey?

I want to ask you, did you observe anything odd about the gbs on that surface? I'm hoping with a game's worth of experience on that field Penn does better in the gb column. Oh, and that there is a monsoon downpour... :)

Having said all of this I'm torn between rooting for Penn and St.Joe's. Either way, be good to see Philly represented.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:14 pm
faircornell wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:10 pm All tremendously worthy honorees. Congratulations to them. As I noted on the Cornell thread, it is a bit surprising that Ryan Goldstein received no recognition. Goldstein led the Ivy Frosh in both goals (14) and points (22).
Is that just in Ivy play your referencing because Nate kabiri has 50pts right now
My understanding is that All Ivy honors are intended to be just for Ivy play. So, yes. these numbers are just for Ivy play.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

10stone5 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:19 am Quakers really hammered Cornell’s offensive players,

given Carroll is in net.

If the body slam, hit from behind and hit on the head were part of the game plan, there should have been ejections. I thought that the hit from behind was particularly dangerous.
Last edited by faircornell on Sat May 04, 2024 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

faircornell wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:25 pm

given Carroll is in net.

If the body slam, hit from behind and hit on the head were part of the game plan, there should have been elections. I thought that the hit from behind was particularly dangerous.
You really think that is a possibility? Based on what? Does Penn have a rep for poor sportsmanship I'm unaware of?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:45 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:25 pm

given Carroll is in net.

If the body slam, hit from behind and hit on the head were part of the game plan, there should have been elections. I thought that the hit from behind was particularly dangerous.
You really think that is a possibility? Based on what? Does Penn have a rep for poor sportsmanship I'm unaware of?
No... I mentioned in another post that I don't think that they were part of the game plan. I can't see Coach Mutphy endorsing such a strategy.
UMDLAX

Post by UMDLAX »

Congrats to Princeton and Penn for making the Ivy League Finals. Well done!

I was fortunate enough to meet many, many Princeton fans and families before their Yale game. Wonderful group!

However, is it really necessary to have some big tall guy in the stands shouting at the opposing team and parents the entire game?
Did not care to hear him shouting his opinion that Coach Shay did not deserve his award.

We are all in this together. It's just a game after all.
His behavior was reprehensive and should not be tolerated by the Princeton faithful.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

I was actually thinking of going to the game today as the visiting fans that I met during the Friday games were wonderful people who were very respectful of all the other teams fans.

I got many Penn fans who told me that they felt sorry for the inevitable that Cornell was now probably out, but in their opinion still deserved better.

That being said, the weather has reverted to its normal self, and I'm tired of the cold, windy, and blustery conditions that I fought all year.

Good luck to 2 great teams today, and in the Big Dance.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

UMDLAX wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:50 am Congrats to Princeton and Penn for making the Ivy League Finals. Well done!

I was fortunate enough to meet many, many Princeton fans and families before their Yale game. Wonderful group!

However, is it really necessary to have some big tall guy in the stands shouting at the opposing team and parents the entire game?
Did not care to hear him shouting his opinion that Coach Shay did not deserve his award.

We are all in this together. It's just a game after all.
His behavior was reprehensive and should not be tolerated by the Princeton faithful.
Another sighting of the lesser spotted free-ranging as!hat in the wild…
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Congratulations to Princeton; they are playing great right now and if I were a seeded team I wouldn’t love facing them in the NCAAs. The announcers think it will be one Ivy bid, so we will see. A lot of upsets at the Conference tournament AQ level broke the wrong way from an Ivy bid perspective, but certainly are fun from an “any given day” perspective.
Typical Lax Dad

The Orfling wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:16 pm Congratulations to Princeton; they are playing great right now and if I were a seeded team I wouldn’t love facing them in the NCAAs. The announcers think it will be one Ivy bid, so we will see. A lot of upsets at the Conference tournament AQ level broke the wrong way from an Ivy bid perspective, but certainly are fun from an “any given day” perspective.
I don’t know how Princeton doesn’t get a 8 seed. Two losses by one goal each. That Brown game stinks but team was off for 12 days and looked like in the first quarter.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

The Orfling wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:16 pm Congratulations to Princeton; they are playing great right now and if I were a seeded team I wouldn’t love facing them in the NCAAs. The announcers think it will be one Ivy bid, so we will see. A lot of upsets at the Conference tournament AQ level broke the wrong way from an Ivy bid perspective, but certainly are fun from an “any given day” perspective.
Princeton’s offense was humming today.

If you don’t have a high-octane O, the 2024 NCAA tournament is going to be a tough gig.

Congratulations to Princeton. As for Penn, terrific season … best wishes next year.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”