ivy league 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by bearlaxfan »

faircornell wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:45 pm
The Orfling wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:19 pm
Ezra White wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:34 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:44 pm Daly just resigned.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Here's a story.
Best wishes to Coach Mike Daly. (This situation reads to me like a buyout.) Daly's players and alums really loved him; seems like an absolute quality person and class act all the way around.

And good luck to Bruno in the upcoming coaching search; one wonders if they "got a guy" in mind or are just committing to the search process with no preconceptions of who they might be targeting.
+💯 ... also, I wonder if this position will be in high demand with other coaches. Daily knows lacrosse. One wonders if he got the admissions and administrative support necessary to complete with the most "die hard" Ivy programs.
New facility. Is it an impressive enough facility for recruiting? IDK. Indoor (not full-field) practice facility budgeted. Previous AD was D1 lax player.
New AD axed longtime women's coach of a squad that has never made the IL tourney.
And, any AD that doesn't understand that men's lacrosse is one of the marquee sports of the school (based more on ancient history it's true, 2015/16 excepted) should get that message PDQ.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

All Ivies announced. Brandau Player of the Year, Willem Firth Rookie of the Year; Shay Coach of the Year.

https://ivyleague.com/news/2024/5/1/men ... unced.aspx

PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Matt Brandau, Yale (Sr., A)

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Willem Firth, Cornell (Fr., M)

COACH OF THE YEAR
Andy Shay, Yale

ALL-IVY FIRST TEAM
CJ Kirst, Cornell (Sr., A)*
Matt Brandau, Yale (Sr., A)*
Sam King, Harvard (Jr., A)
Max Krevsky, Yale (Jr., M)
Hugh Kelleher, Cornell (Sr., M)
Cam Rubin, Penn (Sr., M)
Brendan Lavelle, Penn (Sr., D)*^
Colin Mulshine, Princeton (Jr., D)^
Charlie Cave, Brown (So., D)^
Jayson Singer, Cornell (Jr., D)^
Patrick Pisano, Yale (So., D)^
Emmet Carroll, Penn (Sr., G)
Machado Rodriguez, Yale (FO)*
Jack Stuzin, Yale (Jr., LSM)
Andrew O’Berry, Harvard (Sr., SSM)
Marquez White, Princeton (Sr., SSM)

ALL-IVY SECOND TEAM
Coulter Mackesy, Princeton (Jr., A)
Aidan McLane, Brown (Jr., A)
Michael Long, Cornell (Sr., A)
Logan Ip, Harvard (So., M)
James Shipley, Penn (5th, M)
Chad Palumbo, Princeton (So., M)
Collin Bergstrom, Harvard (Sr., D)^
Peter Blake, Penn (5th, D)^
Thomas Goguen, Dartmouth (So., D)^
Ethan Till, Penn (Jr., D)^
Michael Bath, Princeton (Jr., D)^
Michael Gianforcaro, Princeton (Sr., G)
Andrew McMeekin, Princeton (So, FO)
Brendan Staub, Cornell (So., LSM)^
Greg Campisi, Harvard (Sr., LSM)^
Jack Monfort, Yale (Sr., SSM)

*unanimous selection
^team expanded due to ties in voting

HONORABLE MENTION
Carson Kuhl, Yale (Jr., A)
Teddy Malone, Harvard (So., A)
Nate Kabiri, Princeton (Fr., A)
Spencer Wirtheim, Cornell (Sr., M)
Willem Firth, Cornell (Fr., M)
Henry Bonnie, Dartmouth (Sr., M)
Johnny Keib, Yale (Jr., M)
Patrick Hackler, Yale (Sr., M)
Christian Barnard, Harvard (Sr., G)
Marc Psyllos, Cornell (Sr., FO)
Mark Witt, Brown (Sr., LSM)
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

All tremendously worthy honorees. Congratulations to them. As I noted on the Cornell thread, it is a bit surprising that Ryan Goldstein received no recognition. Goldstein led the Ivy Frosh in both goals (14) and points (22).
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

faircornell wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:10 pm All tremendously worthy honorees. Congratulations to them. As I noted on the Cornell thread, it is a bit surprising that Ryan Goldstein received no recognition. Goldstein led the Ivy Frosh in both goals (14) and points (22).
Yes, I agree about young Mr. Goldstein. Perhaps it's that the competition was sterner among attackmen. And I agree, all tremendously worthy honorees. That first-team attack line is superlative.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

FannOLax wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:21 pm
faircornell wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:10 pm All tremendously worthy honorees. Congratulations to them. As I noted on the Cornell thread, it is a bit surprising that Ryan Goldstein received no recognition. Goldstein led the Ivy Frosh in both goals (14) and points (22).
Yes, I agree about young Mr. Goldstein. Perhaps it's that the competition was sterner among attackmen. And I agree, all tremendously worthy honorees. That first-team attack line is superlative.
Also interesting, and perhaps partly why Firth won ROTY, is that Firth's natural position is attack. He was moved to offensive midfield because with Kirst, Long, and Goldstein, Cornell is loaded at attack, and the coaches wanted to get Firth on the field. Such adaptability is a laudable trait. Also his box lacrosse background makes him a valuable asset for in-close midfield plays.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Ezra White wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:07 pm
Also interesting, and perhaps partly why Firth won ROTY, is that Firth's natural position is attack. He was moved to offensive midfield because with Kirst, Long, and Goldstein, Cornell is loaded at attack, and the coaches wanted to get Firth on the field. Such adaptability is a laudable trait. Also his box lacrosse background makes him a valuable asset for in-close midfield plays.
Yes. Clearly, Firth was viewed at the Hill Academy as the successor to Jeff Teat. Firth is a remarkable player. If I may be slightly irreverent, in reading various publications (as well as Cornell Lacrosse bios), it's clear that legacy admissions is a "hot button" and sensitive topic in the Ivies. Perhaps legacy All Ivy awards are now sensitive as well :P .
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

faircornell wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:50 pm
Yes. Clearly, Firth was viewed at the Hill Academy as the successor to Jeff Teat. Firth is a remarkable player. If I may be slightly irreverent, in reading various publications (as well as Cornell Lacrosse bios), it's clear that legacy admissions is a "hot button" and sensitive topic in the Ivies. Perhaps legacy All Ivy awards are now sensitive as well :P .
"Succesor to Jeff TeaT? Don't want to make a habit of giving that #51 to a specially selected player or anything! 😁
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:03 pm
faircornell wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:50 pm
"Succesor to Jeff TeaT? Don't want to make a habit of giving that #51 to a specially selected player or anything! 😁
Touche!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

After Thursday's games, even the bracketologists seem to be saying to every Ivy involved, "Just win. Don't make it a discussion."
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Here’s hoping for a healthy Ivy tournament for all four teams involved. No matter what teams advance to Sunday and which team grabs the brass ring, I will be rooting for the Ivy entrants in the NCAA tournament. Good luck to the Ivy League players, coaches, families and fans this weekend.

Joewillie, tell us where you’ll be sitting and what hat you’ll have on so we can look for you on the broadcast?
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

The Orfling wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 1:31 pm Here’s hoping for a healthy Ivy tournament for all four teams involved. No matter what teams advance to Sunday and which team grabs the brass ring, I will be rooting for the Ivy entrants in the NCAA tournament. Good luck to the Ivy League players, coaches, families and fans this weekend.

Joewillie, tell us where you’ll be sitting and what hat you’ll have on so we can look for you on the broadcast?
50 yard line about 1/2 way up with my green HOPSHIRE hat and Big RED sweatshirt.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Congratulations to Princeton on a strong win over Yale. (I suspect Yale will be bubble out now of the NCAA tournament and, if so it was an enjoyable season to watch.)
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

And fittingly in this year of parity, #4 seed Penn knocks off Cornell. Terrific game by Penn’s defense, including another gem from Emmett Carroll. The Quakers looked like the team that beat Duke. Congrats to both Princeton and Penn and good luck to both teams on Sunday.
DA/PU

Post by DA/PU »

I would be pretty annoyed if big East gets 3 teams and Ivy only 1. Big East is not that strong top to bottom. Only the AQ at this point gives ivies any peace of mind. League deserves an at large IMO but a lot to shake out with upset minded nova and Michigan. Psu looks legit though.
Ice1570

Post by Ice1570 »

DA/PU wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:28 pm I would be pretty annoyed if big East gets 3 teams and Ivy only 1. Big East is not that strong top to bottom. Only the AQ at this point gives ivies any peace of mind. League deserves an at large IMO but a lot to shake out with upset minded nova and Michigan. Psu looks legit though.
There is a zero percent chance that the Big East will get three teams in. If Georgetown loses, they are not getting in.
DA/PU

Post by DA/PU »

Ice1570 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:34 pm
DA/PU wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:28 pm I would be pretty annoyed if big East gets 3 teams and Ivy only 1. Big East is not that strong top to bottom. Only the AQ at this point gives ivies any peace of mind. League deserves an at large IMO but a lot to shake out with upset minded nova and Michigan. Psu looks legit though.
There is a zero percent chance that the Big East will get three teams in. If Georgetown loses, they are not getting in.
Good to know. Thanks.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I am guessing Cornell still makes it into the NCAAs, along with the AQ winner (Penn or Princeton). I could also see both Penn and Princeton getting in, maybe, with Cornell on the outside looking in, if Princeton wins the AQ. Penn is sitting at #9 in RPI after tonight's games; Cornell at #12; Yale #13. It would be quite frustrating for the Big Red to be iced out with the close losses to ND and Denver but the RPI math is tough to overcome and the RPI that gaveth in 2022 may taketh in 2024.

There's a world where the Ivy League could have gotten 3 bids, but a few too many high-profile out of conference losses (Penn to Georgetown and UNC; Yale to PSU; Cornell to Denver and PSU; Princeton to Syracuse and Maryland) signals that it's not in the cards, even though the Ivies had some reasonably good out-of-conference wins also (Penn over Duke; Yale over Denver; Harvard over Michigan; Cornell over Syracuse). If the Ivy League is a 1-bid team that will be frustrating but it can happen in bid-stealing seasons when the RPI of a conference takes a hit with a couple of teams that really struggle out of conference (Dartmouth and Brown this year).

I continue to think that Princeton, although inconsistent earlier in the year, is closing strong: their defense looks pretty good; their FOGO McMeekin has heated up; Gianforcaro on a good day is as good as any goalie in the country; and they can score in bunches with Mackesy, Kabiri, Burns et al. I am thinking they repeat the regular season result and beat Penn to get the AQ, and if they are the unseeded 9 team the 8 seed will not like the matchup . . . not one little bit.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

AQs upsets will make many strong teams left out this year.
DA/PU

Post by DA/PU »

The Orfling wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:26 am
I am guessing Cornell still makes it into the NCAAs, along with the AQ winner (Penn or Princeton). I could also see both Penn and Princeton getting in, maybe, with Cornell on the outside looking in, if Princeton wins the AQ. Penn is sitting at #9 in RPI after tonight's games; Cornell at #12; Yale #13. It would be quite frustrating for the Big Red to be iced out with the close losses to ND and Denver but the RPI math is tough to overcome and the RPI that gaveth in 2022 may taketh in 2024.

There's a world where the Ivy League could have gotten 3 bids, but a few too many high-profile out of conference losses (Penn to Georgetown and UNC; Yale to PSU; Cornell to Denver and PSU; Princeton to Syracuse and Maryland) signals that it's not in the cards, even though the Ivies had some reasonably good out-of-conference wins also (Penn over Duke; Yale over Denver; Harvard over Michigan; Cornell over Syracuse). If the Ivy League is a 1-bid team that will be frustrating but it can happen in bid-stealing seasons when the RPI of a conference takes a hit with a couple of teams that really struggle out of conference (Dartmouth and Brown this year).

I continue to think that Princeton, although inconsistent earlier in the year, is closing strong: their defense looks pretty good; their FOGO McMeekin has heated up; Gianforcaro on a good day is as good as any goalie in the country; and they can score in bunches with Mackesy, Kabiri, Burns et al. I am thinking they repeat the regular season result and beat Penn to get the AQ, and if they are the unseeded 9 team the 8 seed will not like the matchup . . . not one little bit.
As a Princeton guy I’m thrilled with how their young squad is playing. Penn will be really tough. Carroll can shut the door on any team if he plays like he did last night.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

DA/PU wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:42 am
The Orfling wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 12:26 am

As a Princeton guy I’m thrilled with how their young squad is playing. Penn will be really tough. Carroll can shut the door on any team if he plays like he did last night.
If Princeton beats Penn, surely Cornell is OUT, and if I were a Penn fan (much like I was in 2019, when Cornell beat ND at ND), I would be extremely upset if they chose Cornell OVER Penn, after Penn beat Cornell TWICE, and one of those at a place where no one has beaten Cornell up until last night.

Look, I'm a diehard Cornell fan, but Penn beat us TWICE, and deserves the bid over Cornell, win or lose.

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”