Hobart 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FMUBart

Re: Hobart 2025

Post by FMUBart »

Interesting that the Hobart website announcing the A10 selections states at the end, "...beset by injuries...4-9" Why is it that EVERY year we are bitten by the injury bug? I think we can all agree that the game was much more physical during the prior decades, and yet I don't remember anything more than a few injuries here and there back in the day--only season ending injury I recall in my 4 years was defensemen Tim Clark tearing his ACL against Team Canada at Homewood during a post season invitational. Perhaps it is due to overuse of the same personnel and they get worn down; however, many of the injuries seem to occur in the offseason/preseason.

Not sure I agree with lack of execution being the culprit during games. Further, if Coach Raymond is not going too deep into the bench for PT, then I would surmise the reserves aren't ready for prime time.. My wish list is for more Chad Back types and less of the smurfs, especially at SSDM(I realize I'm a broken record). My HS coach(a Hobart lax grad, btw), used to say, "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop"... With more scholarship money coming on-line, need to bigger, faster & stronger athletes...
slumdogmillionaire

Post by slumdogmillionaire »

Im well aware that Adam Hardy is helping out with Triad Elite down in NC, seems like the club is doing very well. Big thanks to Triad for giving us Adam Shea as well (could we see a Shea PLL appearance??). On the otherhand, an Adam Hardy re-addition to the program could provide leaps and bounds in terms of culture and locker room morale. I do have great confidence in the team moving forward. A healthy battle between Wilson and Faiola, a new and hungry two headed dragon at the X with Valent and Schofield (could incoming Fake be the 3rd? IMG recruit is intriguing), and a "one year wiser" unit down on D. After going 4-9 the boys have to be hungry. Saw a couple of them having a time along 5 and 20, seems like they're enjoying each other's company which is a great sign of strong culture. Cherish this last month at school seniors.

What are the odds of any changes or additions? Sam Mueller was an excellent player, and is an even better mind. Would hate to have him go but love to see him succeed as a coordinator or operations manager elsewhere. Any news on the replacement for S&C Coach Gray as well? He was a former coach for the Cincinnati Bengals, though many people complained about our injuries and ailments, it would be much worse without him. Tremendous loss as well. The future is bright but there is a critical summer and fall season that lies ahead.

Just need to beat the Bonnies and UMass and/or HPU and the team is playing with house money in the tourney next year. Any word on the location for next years A10??
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FMUBart wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:30 am Interesting that the Hobart website announcing the A10 selections states at the end, "...beset by injuries...4-9" Why is it that EVERY year we are bitten by the injury bug? I think we can all agree that the game was much more physical during the prior decades, and yet I don't remember anything more than a few injuries here and there back in the day--only season ending injury I recall in my 4 years was defensemen Tim Clark tearing his ACL against Team Canada at Homewood during a post season invitational. Perhaps it is due to overuse of the same personnel and they get worn down; however, many of the injuries seem to occur in the offseason/preseason.

Not sure I agree with lack of execution being the culprit during games. Further, if Coach Raymond is not going too deep into the bench for PT, then I would surmise the reserves aren't ready for prime time.. My wish list is for more Chad Back types and less of the smurfs, especially at SSDM(I realize I'm a broken record). My HS coach(a Hobart lax grad, btw), used to say, "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop"... With more scholarship money coming on-line, need to bigger, faster & stronger athletes...
I am of course not a big Syracuse lacrosse fan (although I begrudgingly watch them cuz they're fun), but I am a huge Syracuse Orange football fan. We are the Syracuse Orange football of DI college lax. Every year it seems like half the starting lineup of the Orange football team goes down with season-ending injuries. They then get destroyed because of lack of depth. Sound familiar?

Yes, we need more Chad Bachs on our team. Jerry Schmidt and Dave Urick used to recruit athletes and turn them into lacrosse players. That's not going to happen in today's lacrosse world, but you still do want to recruit studs when you can. Look for those diamonds in the rough that can be developed.

Just a note on size and the SSDM position. I watched Cortland play Potsdam last night in the SUNYAC semifinals (Potsdam won, 8-7). Cortland has a SSDM listed as 5'7" and 140 lbs. (about my size when I got to Hobart). When I saw that on the roster, I found it pretty amusing because it's exceptionally small, even for DIII lacrosse. Then I saw him hit the field as one of the starting SSDMs. One of the best players out there. Great body position, quick feet, and a demon on ground balls. So size, although I'd like to see more of it on our roster, isn't the absolute must-have at the SSDM position. Just btw, Cortland lost mostly because of their Hobartesque shooting touch. Just could not hit the cage, and when they did, the Potsdam goalie was exceptional.

Final note. I appreciate how hard our team played all year. Absolutely can't fault the effort and heart of the players during a trying season.
thehashslingingslash

Post by thehashslingingslash »

Hebrewhammer wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:58 am
stevestevenson wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:00 am
Hebrewhammer wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:39 pm Interested to see the strides Kinslow makes in his second year, hoping to see some more time from him. I also think we have much to be excited for at attack, particularly with Snellenberg. He’s already got the size, but would love to see him pack on 30-40 more pounds this off season.
Snellenberg is already around 230 I believe. I doubt 260-270 is going to be productive, although we have had some big bodies find success in the past.
Was not aware Snellenberg was that big, maybe not 30-40 pounds. However, if he gained a solid 10 pounds I would love to see his production if he could still move at 250. I’m thinking of the big barrel chested attack men that have been successful in the past (Cloutier, JGJr etc). On the other side of the field I’m excited to see Nolan lead the defense in their second year playing together. Hoping to see more of Mike Bennett as well. Does anyone have their ear to the ground on graduating seniors with eligibility that may return? Believe Porter Johnson and Josh Duby have time remaining
Agreed, snellenburger is a big body who likes to bang and is dangerous at 5 and 5. I think 240 is the perfect weight class for him. Excited to see if he can pack a few on this offseason. I suggest he gets on the "see food" diet :lol: Always worked for me in my hay day
LinSudblax

Post by LinSudblax »

Hobart College, nestled in Geneva, New York, boasts a rich history dating back to 1822. But it wasn't until the late 19th century that lacrosse found its home on the picturesque fields of Hobart. Since then, the sport has become an integral part of the college's identity, shaping the experiences of students and athletes alike.

Under the guidance of legendary coaches like Dave Urick and current head coach Greg Raymond, the Statesmen have consistently displayed a commitment to excellence on and off the field. Their dedication to the fundamentals of the game combined with a relentless work ethic has propelled them to success time and time again.

In recent years, Hobart Lacrosse has continued to build upon its storied legacy, consistently competing at the highest levels of Division I lacrosse. The team's commitment to recruiting top-tier talent and developing players both athletically and academically has earned them respect and admiration across the lacrosse community.

As the sun sets behind the rolling hills of the Finger Lakes, the legacy of Hobart Lacrosse continues to unfold. With each pass, shot, and save, the Statesmen are writing their own chapter in the annals of lacrosse history, proving that no matter the size of the school or the scope of the competition, true greatness knows no bounds.

Onward & upward!
stevestevenson

Post by stevestevenson »

thehashslingingslash wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:22 pm
Hebrewhammer wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:58 am
stevestevenson wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:00 am
Hebrewhammer wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:39 pm Interested to see the strides Kinslow makes in his second year, hoping to see some more time from him. I also think we have much to be excited for at attack, particularly with Snellenberg. He’s already got the size, but would love to see him pack on 30-40 more pounds this off season.
Snellenberg is already around 230 I believe. I doubt 260-270 is going to be productive, although we have had some big bodies find success in the past.
Was not aware Snellenberg was that big, maybe not 30-40 pounds. However, if he gained a solid 10 pounds I would love to see his production if he could still move at 250. I’m thinking of the big barrel chested attack men that have been successful in the past (Cloutier, JGJr etc). On the other side of the field I’m excited to see Nolan lead the defense in their second year playing together. Hoping to see more of Mike Bennett as well. Does anyone have their ear to the ground on graduating seniors with eligibility that may return? Believe Porter Johnson and Josh Duby have time remaining
Agreed, snellenburger is a big body who likes to bang and is dangerous at 5 and 5. I think 240 is the perfect weight class for him. Excited to see if he can pack a few on this offseason. I suggest he gets on the "see food" diet :lol: Always worked for me in my hay day
I think that's a great reason to bring Ashmore in. If I remember correctly in his playing days they asked him to put on some weight and I think he played around 240-250. I forget the S&C coach then (there's been a ton) but I think he also served as a nutritionist. Get Max up in the high 200's and you have a player that adds a completely different element to this offense. Could be a guy like Payton Cormier from Virginia. Just a thought. Very excited to see some of these guys come back after the summer.
jh9

Post by jh9 »

Definitely think snellenberg could pack on a few lbs. hobart will struggle to beat top 20 teams with speed and Snellenberg is one of the few people on the roster who could really turn into a big guy for us if he focuses on getting into the high 200s or low 300s
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bartfromboston wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:51 pm Kinslow never enrolled - he was never on the roster or at the school. Not sure if he is “coming back” or not.

On the comments about roster size and play time, etc. the comment about kids being wrapped tight in games versus practice is just not what I saw. Kids played terrible in games and there was no changes to the lineups for poor performance (except goalie). So i have no idea why anyone who started would be nervous about their position because nothing changed throughout the entire year. Except for James Greene and Swisher playing much more in the beginning part of the year and seemingly getting demoted for the A10 schedule. I think we had an issue with conditioning where we had kids injured constantly and we just couldn’t finish because we were fatigued. and I believe that is directly connected to not playing half of our roster at all through the season.
Too bad on kinslow. I had this "gut" feeling, which is of course 50/50 historically (nailed it on Madonna), that Kinslow could be a killer close D man for us under the radar. Hope he comes next year. Always wonder what Conor Durkin mightve dont but he was burnt out on lacrosse transferred to Syracuse and just chilled out instead.

Swisher didn't play at all after week 6 or 7. Wasnt sure if it was CD or injury.

I got the sense that Greene and Peterkins PT were reduced at that point as they tried integrating Herlihy and Barthelme back into the offense. Herlihy for just 1-2 games, Barthelme a little more in and out. But once the other guys minutes were reduced for that they didn't get them back even when the others were back out so they just ran the other starters more. Until the very end if you note greene was in there a bit more last two games.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

Everyone should be prepared for lots of change. Going to be a completely new team next year. This was a hard year for coaches and players. Next year isn’t going to be any easier and Coach is not a style to excite players to return for another tough season. I wish I was wrong but lived through his ego crap. Great group of boys I’m certain as we always have them. Hip!
wormburner

Post by wormburner »

I heard the boys are going to face-off against the German National Team on their summer trip. One last chance for the class of 2024 to get a W. Anyone know if we will be able to stream that game. Best,

WB
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

LinSudblax wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:46 pm Hobart College, nestled in Geneva, New York, boasts a rich history dating back to 1822. But it wasn't until the late 19th century that lacrosse found its home on the picturesque fields of Hobart. Since then, the sport has become an integral part of the college's identity, shaping the experiences of students and athletes alike.

Under the guidance of legendary coaches like Dave Urick and current head coach Greg Raymond, the Statesmen have consistently displayed a commitment to excellence on and off the field. Their dedication to the fundamentals of the game combined with a relentless work ethic has propelled them to success time and time again.

In recent years, Hobart Lacrosse has continued to build upon its storied legacy, consistently competing at the highest levels of Division I lacrosse. The team's commitment to recruiting top-tier talent and developing players both athletically and academically has earned them respect and admiration across the lacrosse community.

As the sun sets behind the rolling hills of the Finger Lakes, the legacy of Hobart Lacrosse continues to unfold. With each pass, shot, and save, the Statesmen are writing their own chapter in the annals of lacrosse history, proving that no matter the size of the school or the scope of the competition, true greatness knows no bounds.

Onward & upward!
Written by AI?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SMAIN wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:23 pm
LinSudblax wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:46 pm Hobart College, nestled in Geneva, New York, boasts a rich history dating back to 1822. But it wasn't until the late 19th century that lacrosse found its home on the picturesque fields of Hobart. Since then, the sport has become an integral part of the college's identity, shaping the experiences of students and athletes alike.

Onward & upward!
Written by AI?
Certainly noteworthy that this has been flooded by new posters. Have a feeling one or two folks driving it with their own intentions not transparent to the rest. Positive but either someone very close to one of the two proposed
Alum coaches, a staff member seeing Daly and Stimmel out trying to flood this with noise or some random party that is screwing around.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

Domino 1 dropping. James Greene not returning is the rumor in Geneva.
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

Prediction 1 - brundage interviews for Marquette job
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Laxbro19 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:14 am Domino 1 dropping. James Greene not returning is the rumor in Geneva.
That would suck. Is that a guess or did you hear something specific? Any word on other players? I think he’s going to be a senior so a transfer doesn’t make sense to me.
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

Never said transfer. Tough life playing at Hobart and it’s only for a certain type of player.
fourrings1988

Post by fourrings1988 »

^ could not agree more. it is not for everyone. back in my day there were plenty of guys who didn't stick around long enough to get as many rings as me
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Laxbro19 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:15 am Never said transfer. Tough life playing at Hobart and it’s only for a certain type of player.
Can you specify from your experience?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

50+ guys on a team, and each will have their own experience. I am interested in your experience too, Laxbro19, but am also aware that every team has its internal conflicts. Throw in conflicts with parents, fans, and administration, and it is a pretty complicated job. Can't please everyone. Even with winning record.
Greene may not be returning, but that may be unrelated to the team experience or his experience of Raymond. As far as I know, Kinslow's departure had nothing to do with lacrosse (he did matriculate, but I'm told he is not at Hobart anymore).
For the record, I don't think the dominos are going to start falling. I'd be really sorry to see Brundage go, but if he did I think we'd figure it out.If he can get the Marquette interview, he'd be a fool not to take it. That's just the world of coaching.
Next year is full of promise. The seniors of 2024 were a tight group and really seemed to be great people. But there is no denying that the team lacked the spark it needed to succeed. Next year is a new start. Let's see what the next class can do.
Is the team playing Germany this summer? Where are they going?
Laxbro19

Post by Laxbro19 »

Laxgunea wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:30 am 50+ guys on a team, and each will have their own experience. I am interested in your experience too, Laxbro19, but am also aware that every team has its internal conflicts. Throw in conflicts with parents, fans, and administration, and it is a pretty complicated job. Can't please everyone. Even with winning record.
Greene may not be returning, but that may be unrelated to the team experience or his experience of Raymond. As far as I know, Kinslow's departure had nothing to do with lacrosse (he did matriculate, but I'm told he is not at Hobart anymore).
For the record, I don't think the dominos are going to start falling. I'd be really sorry to see Brundage go, but if he did I think we'd figure it out.If he can get the Marquette interview, he'd be a fool not to take it. That's just the world of coaching.
Next year is full of promise. The seniors of 2024 were a tight group and really seemed to be great people. But there is no denying that the team lacked the spark it needed to succeed. Next year is a new start. Let's see what the next class can do.
Is the team playing Germany this summer? Where are they going?
Very mature and Hobart focused commentary which I deeply appreciate. I’m going to be blunt. We have very competent leadership that don’t understand how to motivate players. That is our issue. And that is not going to change unless people look themselves in the mirror. And that is why we are not reaching our goals. It’s not talent or size or skill. It’s motivation. And that is one players perspective but I am far from alone. We can win the A10 with the team we have.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”