Typical Lax Dad

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

coda wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:08 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:01 pm
coda wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:02 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:49 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:46 pm
coda wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:12 pm Have to guess the Ivy takes a step back. Princeton has been gutted. Penn struggled on O with Handley. Farrare will be missed. Cornell and Yale look like the only preseason teams likely for the tournament. Can Yale continue their Air Raid version of lacrosse and make the tournament?
Princeton may have the best FOGO/Goalie combo in the league next season along with potentially the best defense. Offense returns a good amount of experience. Lost a lot though. Time will tell.
Just ran across this old post….I thought Princeton may exceed expectations despite the players that graduated and moved on.
They have surprised me. Goalie been rock solid as usual. Faceoff has not come together. They are actually a dangerous team. Madalon has done a really good job. Seem to be peaking at the right moment. Might steal Yale's tournament bid. .Though Yale's injuries have really opened things up for them.
McMeekin is 55% with 7 goals and 2 assists. That 55% might be closer to winning 59% with that offensive production. Rodriguez was the best FOGO in the league but not sure there is a better tandem than Gianforcaro and McMeekin combined (Gianforcaro carrying more water, admittedly). Princeton had a lot of injuries last year and a lot of these sophomores and juniors got valuable experience. I thought they could surprise some teams but 9-4 is way above expectations. 8-5 would have be a great season considering the personnel losses.
Yale - 56% on faceoffs, that is after losing their top 2 FOGOs and putting up some down right ugly faceoff numbers the last few games
Dartmouth- 52.5%
Princeton- 50.9%
Brown- 48.1%
Cornell- 47.1%

hard to look at a 50.9% faceoff average on the year as a strength. Gianforcaro is a straight up stud.. But agree they have done well.
Yes. Yale has the best FOGO and unit in the league. Has had a long record of very good FOGOs. I wasn’t using back up FOGOs or back up goalies when I postulated. I made the comment last year and was basing it on Gianforcaro and McMeekin. Someone else may have a better combination. It’s debatable.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:52 pm
coda wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:12 pm Have to guess the Ivy takes a step back. Princeton has been gutted. Penn struggled on O with Handley. Farrare will be missed. Cornell and Yale look like the only preseason teams likely for the tournament. Can Yale continue their Air Raid version of lacrosse and make the tournament?
Princeton may have the best FOGO/Goalie combo in the league next season along with potentially the best defense. Offense returns a good amount of experience. Lost a lot though. Time will tell.
Just ran across this old post….I thought Princeton may exceed expectations despite the players that graduated and moved on.
They have surprised me. Goalie been rock solid as usual. Faceoff has not come together. They are actually a dangerous team. Madalon has done a really good job. Seem to be peaking at the right moment. Might steal Yale's tournament bid. .Though Yale's injuries have really opened things up for them.
McMeekin is 55% with 7 goals and 2 assists. That 55% might be closer to winning 59% with that offensive production. Rodriguez was the best FOGO in the league but not sure there is a better tandem than Gianforcaro and McMeekin combined (Gianforcaro carrying more water, admittedly). Princeton had a lot of injuries last year and a lot of these sophomores and juniors got valuable experience. I thought they could surprise some teams but 9-4 is way above expectations. 8-5 would have be a great season considering the personnel losses.
Yale - 56% on faceoffs, that is after losing their top 2 FOGOs and putting up some down right ugly faceoff numbers the last few games
Dartmouth- 52.5%
Princeton- 50.9%
Brown- 48.1%
Cornell- 47.1%

hard to look at a 50.9% faceoff average on the year as a strength. Gianforcaro is a straight up stud.. But agree they have done well.
Yes. Yale has the best FOGO and unit in the league. Has had a long record of very good FOGOs. I wasn’t using back up FOGOs or back up goalies when I postulated. I made the comment last year and was basing it on Gianforcaro and McMeekin. Someone else may have a better combination. It’s debatable.
McMeekin is 62% against Ivy opponents. Also scored 5 goals in this span.

Brown - 50%
Cornell - 58%
Penn - 59%
Dartmouth - 61%
Harvard - 69%
Yale 77%

6% vs UMD, 39% vs UNC, 39% vs Lehigh really hurt his overall percentage. But he's done very well in conference play.
Typical Lax Dad

GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:00 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:52 pm
Dartmouth- 52.5%
Princeton- 50.9%
Brown- 48.1%
Cornell- 47.1%

McMeekin is 62% against Ivy opponents. Also scored 5 goals in this span.

Brown - 50%
Cornell - 58%
Penn - 59%
Dartmouth - 61%
Harvard - 69%
Yale 77%

6% vs UMD, 39% vs UNC, 39% vs Lehigh really hurt his overall percentage. But he's done very well in conference play.
It’s too bad Rodriguez is down. I hate to see players miss time. You can’t get those games back. I believe 5 goals is probably worth another 2-3% in face-off wins. Anyway, Princeton has exceeded expectations this season and the goalie and FOGO have contributed to it.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

On Yale and faceoffs: Yale's #3 FOGO was playing hurt against Princeton as well. When you go to a game (I got to see the Yale-Princeton game in person) and see all of the Yale players on the sidelines in sweats/not dressed, it's really something. Very good coaching job to have hung in there as well as they have but the recent spate of injuries at that one key position -- one that was a strength earlier in the season -- has been tough to overcome. Last year's Yale #1 FOGO, #8, who is excellent, would not appear to be coming back. This year's #1 FOGO, Rodriguez, might be back for the ILT but that's a position where the risk of re-injury is particularly high so who knows. Yale does not have great defensive efficiency numbers and the extra possessions from the faceoff edge through much of the season was pretty integral to their chances against top teams. It's possible this is one of those star-crossed years where you appreciate all the great lacrosse we got and hope for a healthier year in 2025.

Before we get to the ILT, congratulations to the Big Red for the regular season Ivy championship and getting the #1 seed. Cornell has been a ton of fun to watch this year and winning the league after the departure of Ierlan and Adler, even with Mr. Kirst in the house, is a testament to great team play and good coaching. I was also extremely impressed by Princeton -- they were firing on all cylinders -- and when Gianforcaro is hot he is the definition of a brick wall. Emmett Carroll of Penn can also lift his team with that sort of other-worldly play in goal so stay tuned this weekend.
Typical Lax Dad

The Orfling wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:28 pm On Yale and faceoffs: Yale's #3 FOGO was playing hurt against Princeton as well. When you go to a game (I got to see the Yale-Princeton game in person) and see all of the Yale players on the sidelines in sweats/not dressed, it's really something. Very good coaching job to have hung in there as well as they have but the recent spate of injuries at that one key position -- one that was a strength earlier in the season -- has been tough to overcome. Last year's Yale #1 FOGO, #8, who is excellent, would not appear to be coming back. This year's #1 FOGO, Rodriguez, might be back for the ILT but that's a position where the risk of re-injury is particularly high so who knows. Yale does not have great defensive efficiency numbers and the extra possessions from the faceoff edge through much of the season was pretty integral to their chances against top teams. It's possible this is one of those star-crossed years where you appreciate all the great lacrosse we got and hope for a healthier year in 2025.

Before we get to the ILT, congratulations to the Big Red for the regular season Ivy championship and getting the #1 seed. Cornell has been a ton of fun to watch this year and winning the league after the departure of Ierlan and Adler, even with Mr. Kirst in the house, is a testament to great team play and good coaching. I was also extremely impressed by Princeton -- they were firing on all cylinders -- and when Gianforcaro is hot he is the definition of a brick wall. Emmett Carroll of Penn can also lift his team with that sort of other-worldly play in goal so stay tuned this weekend.
Yale was decimated with injuries. They were my preseason league favorite. Not too many teams can get by without two starting attackmem and a first middie among other losses. Ramsey tried to gut it out but came up lame after his first draw. It is demoralizing. Still some season left but has to sting as the team was poised to make noise. I will say the defense needs work. Despite losing those weapons on offense, Yale still put up huge offensive numbers.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Coulter Mackesy is Ivy Offensive POW

Andrew McMeekin is Ivy Defensive POW
coda

Post by coda »

The Orfling wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:28 pm On Yale and faceoffs: Yale's #3 FOGO was playing hurt against Princeton as well. When you go to a game (I got to see the Yale-Princeton game in person) and see all of the Yale players on the sidelines in sweats/not dressed, it's really something. Very good coaching job to have hung in there as well as they have but the recent spate of injuries at that one key position -- one that was a strength earlier in the season -- has been tough to overcome. Last year's Yale #1 FOGO, #8, who is excellent, would not appear to be coming back. This year's #1 FOGO, Rodriguez, might be back for the ILT but that's a position where the risk of re-injury is particularly high so who knows. Yale does not have great defensive efficiency numbers and the extra possessions from the faceoff edge through much of the season was pretty integral to their chances against top teams. It's possible this is one of those star-crossed years where you appreciate all the great lacrosse we got and hope for a healthier year in 2025.

Yale is a train wreck. I think if Yale makes it to the Ivy Championship game, Shay deserves Ivy coach of the year. I know they were basically the co-favorite, but injuries have been crazy for them this year.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

And Cornell's Knust has been playing out of his mind the last few games (saved 72% against Dartmouth last weekend). So, this weekend should see some fantastic goal keeping.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

To be clear on Yale's faceoffs against Princeton ... it was not a contest. It was the equivalent of watching a high school JV player trying to face off against a seasoned veteran for Princeton. 21-6 was the final tally but with the two immediate turnovers it was closer to 23-4. Try that one on for size. Yale has zero chance of even being competitive on Friday if Rodriquez does not play. Game over, season over.

It is remarkable what Shay has gotten out of this team. Two starting attack, best midfielder, starting defensemen, and starting second line midfielder all gone for the season. And NOW, on top of that, the starting two FOGOs with the third FOGO for the most part inoperable. Never seen anything even close to this.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Ezra White wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:34 pm

And Cornell's Knust has been playing out of his mind the last few games (saved 72% against Dartmouth last weekend). So, this weekend should see some fantastic goal keeping.
Yes, great point. I have a lot of admiration for how Knust hung in there when the talented younger goaltender got some starts; obviously kept his head in the game and maintained a team-first mentality; and then came back firing on all cylinders. Seems like a great kid and strong leader and he has been standing on his head for the Big Red.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Lax3 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 pm To be clear on Yale's faceoffs against Princeton ... it was not a contest. It was the equivalent of watching a high school JV player trying to face off against a seasoned veteran for Princeton. 21-6 was the final tally but with the two immediate turnovers it was closer to 23-4. Try that one on for size. Yale has zero chance of even being competitive on Friday if Rodriquez does not play. Game over, season over.

It is remarkable what Shay has gotten out of this team. Two starting attack, best midfielder, starting defensemen, and starting second line midfielder all gone for the season. And NOW, on top of that, the starting two FOGOs with the third FOGO for the most part inoperable. Never seen anything even close to this.
I agree with Lax3's point about Shay's (and staff's) coaching job this year -- it's truly something. I just wanted to re-emphasize that the #3 FOGO discussed above had a leg bandaged like an Egyptian mummy! Clearly not healthy but he hung in there and battled, even on one good leg, and I'm sure the team is grateful he's been there to step into the breach. No doubt he's gotten some great experience this year as well; I remember the leap that Conor Mackie made Year 2 to Year 3 at face-off and both Ramsey and Rodriguez have improved over their time at Yale as well.

I also agree with Lax3 that it's tough to imagine Yale upending this Princeton squad, with how well the Tigers are playing right now, if the Bulldogs can't get more of an equal chance at winning possessions at the X. I'm fairly philosophical about it all, other than being sorry things might not break better to give Matt Brandau a chance to headline a postseason run (and give Yale fans more of a chance to watch Matt Brandau) -- injuries are one of those things in sports and Yale's had a good long stretch living on the sunny side of the faceoff X.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Cornell has had significant injuries as well. Cascadden's torn ACL was a tough blow at the X. Walker Wallace, Bozzi, Davis. Mikey Long missing the Dartmouth game. Jordan Stevens should be coach of the year for his piecing together the defense and getting them ready each week. I think the Big Red will equalize the goaltending as compared to the Franklin Field loss and the offense is really humming now. Carroll will have to withstand an onslaught for Penn to have a chance Friday night.
coda

Post by coda »

Lax3 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 pm To be clear on Yale's faceoffs against Princeton ... it was not a contest. It was the equivalent of watching a high school JV player trying to face off against a seasoned veteran for Princeton. 21-6 was the final tally but with the two immediate turnovers it was closer to 23-4. Try that one on for size. Yale has zero chance of even being competitive on Friday if Rodriquez does not play. Game over, season over.

heard Machado should be back for the tournament. If that happens it completely changes the match -up vs Princeton, assuming he is near 100% healthy..
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Daly just resigned.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:44 pm Daly just resigned.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Here's a story.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:57 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:50 pm Thanks! I changed the spelling. IL stats has Caddigan with 3 goals, and a total of 15 for Cornell. I'll check Cornell's stats....

The Cornell web page credits Caddigan with 3 goals as well.
At the end of the game, live stats had Caddigan with 4 goals. Now it says 3. So I stand corrected. He reminds me of Steve Mock. The ball is in his stick for 0.1 second! He is a great shooter.
Apparently, Caddigan's 4th goal has been restored! https://cornellbigred.com/sports/mens-l ... core/59364
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Ezra White wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:34 pm

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Here's a story.
Best wishes to Coach Mike Daly. (This situation reads to me like a buyout.) Daly's players and alums really loved him; seems like an absolute quality person and class act all the way around.

And good luck to Bruno in the upcoming coaching search; one wonders if they "got a guy" in mind or are just committing to the search process with no preconceptions of who they might be targeting.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:19 pm
Ezra White wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:34 pm

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Here's a story.
Best wishes to Coach Mike Daly. (This situation reads to me like a buyout.) Daly's players and alums really loved him; seems like an absolute quality person and class act all the way around.

And good luck to Bruno in the upcoming coaching search; one wonders if they "got a guy" in mind or are just committing to the search process with no preconceptions of who they might be targeting.
+💯 ... also, I wonder if this position will be in high demand with other coaches. Daily knows lacrosse. One wonders if he got the admissions and administrative support necessary to complete with the most "die hard" Ivy programs.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

All Ivy selections should be coming out any day. This will be a challenging year for voters. It's highly competitive field, especially at attack and in goal.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

faircornell wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:44 pm All Ivy selections should be coming out any day. This will be a challenging year for voters. It's highly competitive field, especially at attack and in goal.
Good topic. I predict Kirst, King, Brandau 1st team attack. Goalie hard to predict! I’d guess Carroll for 1st team, Gianforcaro 2nd team, Knust HM. No clue on defense or midfield. Even with the injuries and 1 missed league game, I think Rodriguez at 1st team FOGO.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”