Hobart 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Hobart 2025

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Alright Hobart fans and returning players with the taste of bile in your mouths. May I introduce you all to Ten Second Tom as a inspiration for how we should think about 2024:

https://m.imdb.com/video/embed/vi3554329625/?vPage=1

The challenge:
- replacing a large outgoing class
- reworking the offense and defense, especially shooting and off ball
Movement /
- depth at FOGO
- second line midfield
- SSdM

The opportunity:
- fresh minutes opportunity for kids we hope can elevate their games between now and next fall
- terrific FR in Patterson, Valent and I’d throw Rhine in their as a future all conference player among other youngsters
- new season, blank slate
- reconfigure offense
- scholarships kicking in and new endowment money maybe helps get some
Canadians in
- the FR class looks strong IMO though size still isn’t there

Not comprehensive so build off of this
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
GeneralBart

Re: Hobart 2025

Post by GeneralBart »

Think I would include Faiola with the FR you mentioned. He stood tall at the end of the Bonnie’s game, unlike what we have seen in some games this year. I know he had some tough games early but seems to have improved some as the year went on. How many other players can you say that about?

The kid from South Side seems to be a player. Who else should we be looking out for?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GeneralBart wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:49 pm Think I would include Faiola with the FR you mentioned. He stood tall at the end of the Bonnie’s game, unlike what we have seen in some games this year. I know he had some tough games early but seems to have improved some as the year went on. How many other players can you say that about?

The kid from South Side seems to be a player. Who else should we be looking out for?
I like Faoila but I like Wilson more than some here too. The rebounds need improvement but I think he’s very good.

The WY kid is a complete unknown but…

Hallam is a polished middie who’ll be out there day one.

Cade cordinglu, cano at hum, Hamilton a 2 way. Winterbottom Raymond’s kind of kid on d.

The kid I think could be a game change two way and perhaps the most special recruit we’ve had in 20yrs is Sheldon Broughton.

I could be totally wrong this is talking to people who live in their school areas or familiar with plua a few clips. But i am super high on this kid:

https://beachesjralacrosse.ca/player/sheldon-broughton/

https://youtu.be/uMNPjMvPRX0?si=fJxKqbzmBDC4OYNa
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Let’s play out the upside scenario:

We’re fine between Wilson and Faoila. That competition winner gives us confidence Vs prior years. Plausible/

Schoefield is a ok and Strange is legit and FO with them being Valent is stronger than prior years. Plausible.

Close D is ok w Firth, Rhine, Comelia, Galiani healthy and others. Plausible.

Attack gets settled with Patterson, Rosa and Delano and midfield settled into town quality lines. Peterkin and Greene out together strong full years (great stretches for each this year but not consistent).

Midfield ? - tons of potential here’s who we have-Peterkin, Considine, Greene, Swisher, Schleicher, FR Hallam, FR Broughton. Then what? I’d like to see Wimer play two way personally. Big ? At midfield depth.

LSM - ? Cavo and …

SSDM: here’s where I get optimistic. FOGO and goalie solid and close D we can count on. I envision four SSDMs. Top two are some combo of Wimer/dino/brought in and race is great 4th SSdM who can play o. They all can play both ways/. If healthy picture those horses. Plus maybe Schleicher and Danny Campbell.

So if all that breaks right we still don’t know at midfield and LSM but everything else going the way we hope could get us a 2 seed and 8-9 wins.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I totally spaced on n soitoropoukus for FR as he’s been terrific this year/
See Martin, Malcolm
brodad

Post by brodad »

Plus Evnin at middie. Plenty of players to be optimistic about. Will coaches be able to improve/adapt/learn?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I was thinking about a comment in the 24 thread about St Bonny looking at this game as one that they could or would win. We all toss around the “any given day” type axioms but reality is we want and expect more than that from Hobart and by that I mean fine that everyone believes they can win going in but there’s still some teams that we should walk in and make sure everyone knows what time it is and destroy that fake confidence quick like a typical Canisius game respectfully to that program it’s just how it’s been 95%+ of the time.

It was clear and they were plain about it, LeMoyne was expecting to take our lunch money this year. Same with St Bonny. All the ankle biters are looking at us as broken and take their shot and putting us down, hopefully long term. I hope no one leaves. To going to do some dumb “if they are real they’ll stick it out” fake tough guy guilt trip on anyone. It’s their lives.

But…absent a kid going to a real title contender which isn’t likely other than maybe two kids, there’s a really fun and interesting opportunity to bring Hobart back to where it’s supposed to be. That’s not pitching some fantasy promised land. What I’m talking about has been mentioned before. Nobody wants to play us. Doesn’t mean top teams won’t beat us but they see the schedule and know that they have to show up off the jump and that they’ll be dragging their a**es of the field no matter what knowing they played a g*d da*n GAME. Push back in the programs that have surpassed us the last 15yrs like Albany and Lehigh. Knock over a Goliath or two here or there. Be that f**king otherworldly l prick nuisance who’ll never go away and scare you more than even the best teams beyond w/l. Not quite vintage UMass thuggery but dancing in that zone. No more 15-2 games vs Bryant, who let’s be honest not only wildly out coached Raymond but emancipated our teams half the time bullying and punishing not always within the game but they were just pension us and taking our lunch money. What was the score at one out vs Richmond? 14-2? That stops. And if anyone gets on a big run then we bring out our McSorleys and Tie Domis and they will be running more slowly henceforth

I think anyone at this stage is playing to take that essence back for this great program and that’s a fun thing to play for if you’re not one of 6-9 schools realistically. Doing that is greatness. Winning a PL or CAA title and one and done is awesome but it’s not greatness.

I think that’s the opportunity next year.
See Martin, Malcolm
brodad

Post by brodad »

Stilwell will be back too, middie or attack.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Dino coming back would be nice - I dont think he has used a year yet because he was injured last year
Julian Race is very underrated
Peterkin has size and speed and is tough - he could be the Bach fill in
JJ coming back with probably 2 years left
Attack could be lethal but Delano is better at middie and could use him there, if not midfield is lots of new players
FOGO and goal should be in good shape
Defense will be much better IF we keep everyone
Question marks - Envin, Stilwell, Swisher, Cavo, Campbell, Fiaola - all didnt see much time and not sure who will step up. I could see Fiaola leaving - he was very sought after and I’m sure chose Hobart because of how close his high school was. But with Wilson, i just dont see him getting a chance.
Greene didnt play as much as he should have - I would be pissed if I were him seeing all the kids that played in front of him and that made no sense.

we need to get through the next 2 months with no portal losses and maybe pick up a kid or two, preferably a pole or o-mid
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bartfromboston wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:11 pm Dino coming back would be nice - I dont think he has used a year yet because he was injured last year
Julian Race is very underrated
Peterkin has size and speed and is tough - he could be the Bach fill in
JJ coming back with probably 2 years left
Attack could be lethal but Delano is better at middie and could use him there, if not midfield is lots of new players
FOGO and goal should be in good shape
Defense will be much better IF we keep everyone
Question marks - Envin, Stilwell, Swisher, Cavo, Campbell, Fiaola - all didnt see much time and not sure who will step up. I could see Fiaola leaving - he was very sought after and I’m sure chose Hobart because of how close his high school was. But with Wilson, i just dont see him getting a chance.
Greene didnt play as much as he should have - I would be pissed if I were him seeing all the kids that played in front of him and that made no sense.

we need to get through the next 2 months with no portal losses and maybe pick up a kid or two, preferably a pole or o-mid
Greene kills me. Not him but his usage. He’s even if nicked up, still crazy athletic. Yes he still hangs his stick too much and makes a few mistakes but I see him as a kid who has to get loose and warm up and then they hit it and they are in the flow. Both need more minutes. Both but especially Greene if you leave him out there and live with the mistakes that’s aren’t existential I think they both just iron it up with a bounce in their step and head up and in the zone. I truly you stick those kids in as if not starters playing > 60% of the offensive possessions you could see a string if like 3,1/4.2/5,2/3,3 games and w en where they are proactively involved in the Gb battles. But they don’t get enough time to get in the flow
See Martin, Malcolm
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

You hit the nail on the head. Safety over performance. That is exactly what I dislike. We are putting kids in that might not make as many mistakes because they dont have the upside to make them. it looks to me like we prefer those kids on the field and then leave it up to the few that can make plays to make them. That is how you lose kids like James Greene, but given he is a senior unlikely that will happen with him. We better use him more next year
stevestevenson

Post by stevestevenson »

Where are we at with the Ashmore rumors? I believe inside lacrosse picked that up from Henry Mann. Was not sure if anyone on here heard anything either way.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

stevestevenson wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:33 pm Where are we at with the Ashmore rumors? I believe inside lacrosse picked that up from Henry Mann. Was not sure if anyone on here heard anything either way.
Hank the Tank!! This is the only site I've heard Ashmore mentioned.
315lax

Post by 315lax »

GeneralBart wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:49 pm Think I would include Faiola with the FR you mentioned. He stood tall at the end of the Bonnie’s game, unlike what we have seen in some games this year. I know he had some tough games early but seems to have improved some as the year went on. How many other players can you say that about?

In 4 out of the 5 games he saw actual time in he out performed Wilson. Can’t hold the Cornel game against him as the entire team collapsed in the second half.
Last edited by 315lax on Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
315lax

Post by 315lax »

I believe there will be a solid team next year with many talented players returning. I also believe that with the right culture and coaching they can be a contender in the A10. I hope they can improve upon the later and get back on rhe path to being a force to reckon with.
315lax

Post by 315lax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:20 pm
SSDM: here’s where I get optimistic. FOGO and goalie solid and close D we can count on. I envision four SSDMs. Top two are some combo of Wimer/dino/brought in and race is great 4th SSdM who can play o. They all can play both ways/. If healthy picture those horses. Plus maybe Schleicher and Danny Campbell.
Would love to see Campbell next year at SSDM. Not sure about his speed but his size would certainly compensate for it.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

I agree on Fiaola. I think he and Wilson are a dead heat. But coach said in a podcast that there was no controversy for goalie and that Wilson is his man. To me, that is just immature and not thought thru. You dont have to say that, you could just compliment both and move on. Last weeks podcast he made a sarcastic comment about kids that want to play more - with a throw away comment about how the coaches know what is best. Another non-thinking comment. You dont need to visibly and vocally tell everyone that you are set in your ways and not willing to change. If there is one kid that is a big risk for the portal, it’s Fiaola. He would get taken fast and start at lots of D1 programs. But i love Wilson too, so this is where you need to watch your words and keep both kids feeling love and engaged that there is a fight for the starter and maybe a by committee role and play the hot hand. The UMASS game needed a change and we just couldn’t do it, or wouldn’t do it.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

315lax wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:41 pm
Would love to see Campbell next year at SSDM. Not sure about his speed but his size would certainly compensate for it.
You are forgetting about Race
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

I did not like the tone of the last podcast. A little too defiant and defensive.

As for goalie, you really need two you are willing to go with. See Cornell‘s experience this year. That might not be enough to keep Faiola around though. I prefer him as the (first) starter.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Bartfromboston wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:12 am
315lax wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:41 pm
You are forgetting about Race
I like Race as the shorty in man down, and maybe situationally, but we need the size at SSDM with guys like Wimer. Also, not thrilled with the smurf attack of Delano, Rosa, Patterson...Patterson at attack and bring the others out of the box. Hobart needs to recruit more size, period...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”