Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU77

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by CU77 »

The guy with the one-liners was Booker's brother George Corrigan.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:44 pm
drunkmonkey30 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:25 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:40 pm During the Notre Dame game, after Ryan Goldstein scored, the ESPN+ announcer described Ryan as "skinny as a chimney sweep with the hands of a mohel.!

LOL! https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VAmi8WUK-6c
That announcer was awesome! had a one liner or metaphor for almost every play.
Pretty sure that was Booker Corrigan -- he has a ton of fun on the mic and he brings a lot of energy to the games he calls. I enjoyed his call also. The "hands of a mohel" line is an all-timer.
Was he implying that Ryan circumsized Entenmann?
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Remembering Coach Moran on the 2nd anniversary of his passing. Rest in peace Coach!
Richie.LopezDrawingSmall.jpg
Richie.LopezDrawingSmall.jpg (107.9 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Nice portrait - my preferred medium, that style ☘️
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Wyatt Knust is named to the USILA Team of the week.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:52 am Cornell Dartmouth game notes: https://cornellbigred.com/news/2024/4/2 ... rosse.aspx
No matter how 1 sided this matchup appears, I again go back to a couple years ago when the Red barely survived in Hanover. Dartmouth, as the article stated have had some very good teams on the ropes.

The Reds preparation and intensity for this past Harvard game was the best all year, and they need that again, as the road has not been very friendly to Cornell this year.

Their is so much on the line for the Red that I expect them to have the pedal to the metal and play like they are playing the best team in the country.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

joewillie78 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:38 am
laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:52 am Cornell Dartmouth game notes: https://cornellbigred.com/news/2024/4/2 ... rosse.aspx
No matter how 1 sided this matchup appears, I again go back to a couple years ago when the Red barely survived in Hanover. Dartmouth, as the article stated have had some very good teams on the ropes.

The Reds preparation and intensity for this past Harvard game was the best all year, and they need that again, as the road has not been very friendly to Cornell this year.

Their is so much on the line for the Red that I expect them to have the pedal to the metal and play like they are playing the best team in the country.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
This has "trap" written all over it, coaches must have them ready to GO at the first whistle.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

joewillie78 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:38 am

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I think you’re right, joewillie78, but I also think your outstanding young coaching staff — not to mention experienced team leaders like Kirst, Long, Blake, Wirthheim, Follows — will have the Big Red fired up and ready to play.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I don't mean to put the ultimate jinx on the Big Red, but there is virtually no chance that Dartmouth will win this game.
I'm that confident in the coaches and players.
A "trap game" is a game against an underdog, but credible team. Not one that is outgunned personnel-wise and 0-5 in the Ivies.
Even if the boys come out playing flat as a pancake (think Yale, who trailed Dartmouth 7-0 earlier this season and still came back to win going away), the talent disparity (...and the fact the game is meaningful to Cornell for both the ILT and an NCAA bid) is just too great.

Reference was made to a recent escape vs. Dartmouth.
Yes - it's VERY hard to believe from today's perspective, but it happened in 2022, the year Cornell advanced to the NCAA Final vs. Maryland.
I think the 8-7 win was a function of several cumulative circumstances:
-Cornell was adjusting to having lost Lombardi for the year and then Blake the prior Saturday. And I believe that Licciardi was just moved to the 1st line and Wirtheim from attack to middie. And I believe Follows was injured as well.
-A long bus ride and a very cold Hanover day added to a very sub-par Cornell performance.
-In the weeks to come, the team did not play well at all - a miracle win vs. Syracuse, a bad loss to Army, a bad loss to Brown, and a must, season-saving win vs. Princeton. The team was so "off," I remember thinking after the Army game that they could lose out.
-But after a first round ILT loss to Yale, the boys got a full week+ of rest, regrouped, and made the great NCAA run, beating Ohio State, Delaware and Rutgers.
LGR
SkunkApe

Post by SkunkApe »

2024 squad is all business. They have answered the bell multiple times this season. Glad to see a complete defensive effort last weekend. Singer is peaking at the right time and our short sticks really stepping up. Coach Stevens has done a great job with all the injuries. Obviously need to focus our efforts on Dartmouth. I think the key will be midfield production. Time for second line to make their mark. Like to see Holmes thinking shoot first! LGR
SkunkApe

Post by SkunkApe »

Hot take- watching the Brown v Dartmouth replay or get prepped for tomorrow, Brown announcers are the best in the league. Need them as them voice of the ILT! Nice job!
Lager

Post by Lager »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:51 pm I don't mean to put the ultimate jinx on the Big Red, but there is virtually no chance that Dartmouth will win this game.
I'm that confident in the coaches and players.
A "trap game" is a game against an underdog, but credible team. Not one that is outgunned personnel-wise and 0-5 in the Ivies.
Even if the boys come out playing flat as a pancake (think Yale, who trailed Dartmouth 7-0 earlier this season and still came back to win going away), the talent disparity (...and the fact the game is meaningful to Cornell for both the ILT and an NCAA bid) is just too great.

Reference was made to a recent escape vs. Dartmouth.
Yes - it's VERY hard to believe from today's perspective, but it happened in 2022, the year Cornell advanced to the NCAA Final vs. Maryland.
I think the 8-7 win was a function of several cumulative circumstances:
-Cornell was adjusting to having lost Lombardi for the year and then Blake the prior Saturday. And I believe that Licciardi was just moved to the 1st line and Wirtheim from attack to middie. And I believe Follows was injured as well.
-A long bus ride and a very cold Hanover day added to a very sub-par Cornell performance.
-In the weeks to come, the team did not play well at all - a miracle win vs. Syracuse, a bad loss to Army, a bad loss to Brown, and a must, season-saving win vs. Princeton. The team was so "off," I remember thinking after the Army game that they could lose out.
-But after a first round ILT loss to Yale, the boys got a full week+ of rest, regrouped, and made the great NCAA run, beating Ohio State, Delaware and Rutgers.
LGR
Just a poorly thought out comment. How can you say something like this?

Will the big red win? Much more likely than not. However, to say Dartmouth has no chance is just arrogant and foolish. A national runner-up Cornell squad barely slipped past Dartmouth 2 years ago. Dartmouth jumped out to a 7 goal lead on Yale. They lost by 3 to a good Penn team. They lost by 3 to a rising Brown squad. Do better.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Hey Lager, give the pretentious moralizing a rest, why doncha? This is a forum for expressing opinions, even ones you don't like.

And: VRR said the Green have "virtually no chance", not "no chance". You said the Green are "much more likely than not" to lose. That sounds pretty much the same as "virtually no chance" to me.

And here is the Red margin of victory over the Green in recent years:

2023: +11
2022: +1
2019: +10
2018: +11
2017: +9
2016: +15
2015: +6

VRR explained the 2022 outlier as the start of a mid-season slump for the Red due to some injury-induced line-up changes. Now that this game has been moved from mid-season to last game of the regular season, and given that winning vs losing has a clear consequence for the Red (hosting vs not hosting the ILT), I think we can expect the Red not to be starting a slump this time around.

So yeah: Dartmouth has virtually no chance.
Lager

Post by Lager »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:35 am Hey Lager, give the pretentious moralizing a rest, why doncha? This is a forum for expressing opinions, even ones you don't like.

And: VRR said the Green have "virtually no chance", not "no chance". You said the Green are "much more likely than not" to lose. That sounds pretty much the same as "virtually no chance" to me.

VRR explained the 2022 outlier as the start of a mid-season slump for the Red due to some injury-induced line-up changes. Now that this game has been moved from mid-season to last game of the regular season, and given that winning vs losing has a clear consequence for the Red (hosting vs not hosting the ILT), I think we can expect the Red not to be starting a slump this time around.

It has nothing to do with morals or class. It has to do with the fact that it's idiotic to think Dartmouth doesn't even have a chance.

"Slump"? the 2022 team was capable of playing some very high level lacrosse, but they weren't some all talented monolith. Penn and Brown whacked them, plain and simple. Dartmouth nearly got their pound of flesh as well. I'd argue the 2023 squad was an overall better team.

And yeah, there's a difference between thinking it's very likely Cornell wins tomorrow and thinking Dartmouth doesn't have a chance. I'd give Dartmouth somewhere in the neighborhood of a 5-10% chance to win tomorrow. To think Dartmouth has a 1% or less chance is just foolish.
Red4Life

Post by Red4Life »

Lager wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:59 am
CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:35 am Hey Lager, give the pretentious moralizing a rest, why doncha? This is a forum for expressing opinions, even ones you don't like.

It has nothing to do with morals or class. It has to do with the fact that it's idiotic to think Dartmouth doesn't even have a chance.

"Slump"? the 2022 team was capable of playing some very high level lacrosse, but they weren't some all talented monolith. Penn and Brown whacked them, plain and simple. Dartmouth nearly got their pound of flesh as well. I'd argue the 2023 squad was an overall better team.

And yeah, there's a difference between thinking it's very likely Cornell wins tomorrow and thinking Dartmouth doesn't have a chance. I'd give Dartmouth somewhere in the neighborhood of a 5-10% chance to win tomorrow. To think Dartmouth has a 1% or less chance is just foolish.
I, and assuming like many on this thread - always find VRR’s comments and observations among the most well thought out and insightful on the entire site !

With the continual turnover of personnel on college teams these days - it’s all but pointless to compare teams / performances etc from seasons long in the rear view mirror!

Go VRR & LGR!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

There are several things that I don't like about the setting of the game as a Cornell fan. It's at 4PM in a cold New Hampshire springtime with temperatures dropping, likely into the 40's with a Westering sun. Dartmouth has a very capable FOGO and goaltender. They have offensive players who can score. My recollection is that similar field conditions (although possibly worse in 2022) slowed the Red down a bit in the close game mentioned. I'd also take the Yale/Dartmouth game as cautionary about the skills of the Big Green. From social media posts, it looks like Cornell is driving up today. As VRR notes, I'm sure that the coaches and players are well aware of all of this. Not a time to under-estimate an opponent.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:56 am There are several things that I don't like about the setting of the game as a Cornell fan. It's at 4PM in a cold New Hampshire springtime with temperatures dropping, likely into the 40's with a Westering sun. Dartmouth has a very capable FOGO and goaltender. They have offensive players who can score. My recollection is that similar field conditions (although possibly worse in 2022) slowed the Red down a bit in the close game mentioned. I'd also take the Yale/Dartmouth game as cautionary about the skills of the Big Green. From social media posts, it looks like Cornell is driving up today. As VRR notes, I'm sure that the coaches and players are well aware of all of this. Not a time to under-estimate an opponent.
Temp supposed to be 66 at game time and a few degrees lower at end. Hope so. I'll be dressed for that. Never take an Ivy game for granted.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:56 am From social media posts, it looks like Cornell is driving up today.
Not sure what this means.

Driving from Ithaca? That's almost a 6 hr. drive.
Driving from somewhere else? Boston is 2 hrs.
Anything like this seems crazy to me.

Why wouldn't the team come up on Friday and stay in Hanover?
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

I don’t think the team will think they can just throw the jerseys on the field to get a win with everything that is at stake I also don’t think any game in the Ivies is a gimme. I’m as nervous and apprehensive as I am with any conference game. I’ll be happy with a win come 6 pm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”