Be better Merrimack

D1 Mens Lacrosse
coda

Re: Be better Merrimack

Post by coda »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:41 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:11 pm Boy this kid is wrong and it’s not good but refs should discourage choppiness seems a long way from training warriors. We’ve made this game the way that we’ve made pets useless in the wild.
I was thinking the same thing. We’ve taken a ritualized warfare training activity and turned it into something else.

However, probably better else one or more would have ended ip with no teeth. Oh wait, box lacrosse.
I didnt say it, but when I saw the post about lacrosse bringing people together, I thought of watching box at 6 nations. I totally recommend going. The craziest lacrosse fans you have ever seen. Not sure I have seen a more intense crowd at any other sporting event.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:11 pm Boy this kid is wrong and it’s not good but refs should discourage choppiness seems a long way from training warriors. We’ve made this game the way that we’ve made pets useless in the wild.
I was thinking the same thing. We’ve taken a ritualized warfare training activity and turned it into something else.

However, probably better else one or more would have ended up with no teeth. Oh wait, box lacrosse.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

However, probably better else one or more would have ended ip with no teeth. Oh wait, box lacrosse.
I’m still in the camp of you try to take stressors out of a system and it leads to larger problems. Of course some may think I’m a monster but in coaching I told the kids everything on the field better be a lacrosse play. You can make those plays with the intensity of a murderous Thor but the goal is to posses the ball and score more. If you always have that goal and aren’t trying to injure anyone then you should be playing with the intensity that knocks kids out of your game (wind knocked out this stuff) or makes them not want to get back on the field or have the ball. If kids get injured that’s an accident in sports if you’re playing the game. Never hold back because you don’t know what that kid wants to do to you to win/
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:28 am

I’m still in the camp of you try to take stressors out of a system and it leads to larger problems. Of course some may think I’m a monster but in coaching I told the kids everything on the field better be a lacrosse play. You can make those plays with the intensity of a murderous Thor as long as it's within the rules but the goal is to posses the ball and score more. If you always have that goal and aren’t trying to injure anyone then you should be playing with the intensity that knocks kids out of your game (wind knocked out this stuff) or makes them not want to get back on the field or have the ball. If kids get injured that’s an accident in sports if you’re playing the game. Never hold back because you don’t know what that kid wants to do to you to win/
I added what's in bold because I'm making the assumption that's a detail you want to make sure people understand. ;)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:39 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:28 am

I’m still in the camp of you try to take stressors out of a system and it leads to larger problems. Of course some may think I’m a monster but in coaching I told the kids everything on the field better be a lacrosse play. You can make those plays with the intensity of a murderous Thor as long as it's within the rules but the goal is to posses the ball and score more. If you always have that goal and aren’t trying to injure anyone then you should be playing with the intensity that knocks kids out of your game (wind knocked out this stuff) or makes them not want to get back on the field or have the ball. If kids get injured that’s an accident in sports if you’re playing the game. Never hold back because you don’t know what that kid wants to do to you to win/
I added what's in bold because I'm making the assumption that's a detail you want to make sure people understand. ;)
No one ever reads critically or thoroughly anymore so I'm sure more than one will be offended.

The issue becomes a super physical play in that grey area of the rules. Lot of crosscheck calls aren't crosschecks but they blasted the other kid so hard that ref will call it. Holding, pushing there's a few. I think it's failry evident if you are watching who is playing the game in earnest vs someone who has made some other thing an equal or higher priority. In that case, I skew to the side of the initiator as to intention to hurt but not injure.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:54 pm

I didnt say it, but when I saw the post about lacrosse bringing people together, I thought of watching box at 6 nations. I totally recommend going. The craziest lacrosse fans you have ever seen. Not sure I have seen a more intense crowd at any other sporting event.
https://youtu.be/7o1gRu-QQVg?si=XvCmUx8dcmv-2ZLR
See Martin, Malcolm
coda

Post by coda »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:03 pm

I have seen 8 year olds drop helmets and gloves in a bench clearing brawl. It’s rough up there
thoughtbot

Post by thoughtbot »

Laxfan1414 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 pm
thoughtbot wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:12 pm
ICGrad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:36 pm
coda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:09 pm I also think kicking the kid off is a bit extreme.
Imagine throwing around slurs directed at Native Americans at a lacrosse game, of all things. I'd have kicked him off my team for being such an unbelievable f/ckwit. I mean, seriously?!?
Candidly Id like to hear more about what the athletics department and coaching staff are doing to address this issue. Nothing excuses the behavior of the individual and that person has been punished. The staff is who have set the culture that a young player thought it was ok to deliver such a remark - that would seem like the largest issue to me.
Tell that to Coach Pressler. Give me a break.

Everyone sharpen the pitchforks. Let’s ruin some peoples lives because of something that allegedly was said during a lacrosse game.
Imagine calling this "alleged" when nobody involved has disputed that it happened...
thoughtbot

Post by thoughtbot »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:48 pm Coach Morgan built a program that was mid D2 into dominance. Mack has been hamstrung by silly NCAA and conference restrictions about opting up a division. They have been scrapping and clawing for relevance. The man can coach.

His teams play tough, with a chip on their shoulders. If anyone saw their games vs LeMoyne or Adelphi there was an edge to those battles. They never backed down.

So now they are playing a chippy game vs an Albany team that plays the same way with conference tourney implications at home.

In the heat of a battle in a scrum, a dumb, heated scrap takes place. STILL NO EXCUSE for a 21 year old kid in a fight to slur a racial slur, but I imagine there were lots of words thrown each way.

Mack's coaches and admin took a swift and immediate response.
The admin took action. The coaches didnt. Conflating both isnt really an accurate portrayal of events. Edge to games is good. Having an apathetic attitude until your AD has to be involved is not
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

On another note, Merrimack just beat Bryant. Do they make the AE Tournament if Albany beats Binghamton?
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

coda wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:22 pm

I have seen 8 year olds drop helmets and gloves in a bench clearing brawl. It’s rough up there
Never understood that. You want to remove your protection and throw down? Fine, go ahead and punch me in my face mask with your bare hand...

Me, I'm remaining equipped and keeping my club, er, crosse... Going to suck to be you. :evil:
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

thoughtbot wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:00 pm
Laxfan1414 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 pm
thoughtbot wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:12 pm
ICGrad wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:36 pm
coda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:09 pm I also think kicking the kid off is a bit extreme.
Imagine throwing around slurs directed at Native Americans at a lacrosse game, of all things. I'd have kicked him off my team for being such an unbelievable f/ckwit. I mean, seriously?!?
Candidly Id like to hear more about what the athletics department and coaching staff are doing to address this issue. Nothing excuses the behavior of the individual and that person has been punished. The staff is who have set the culture that a young player thought it was ok to deliver such a remark - that would seem like the largest issue to me.
Tell that to Coach Pressler. Give me a break.

Everyone sharpen the pitchforks. Let’s ruin some peoples lives because of something that allegedly was said during a lacrosse game.
Imagine calling this "alleged" when nobody involved has disputed that it happened...
"Fine people on both sides..."
coda

Post by coda »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:55 pm

Never understood that. You want to remove your protection and throw down? Fine, go ahead and punch me in my face mask with your bare hand...

Me, I'm remaining equipped and keeping my club, er, crosse... Going to suck to be you. :evil:
That is a rule basically written in stone. If you keep your helmet and gloves on the boys will mock you for weeks
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

coda wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:30 pm

That is a rule basically written in stone. If you keep your helmet and gloves on the boys will mock you for weeks
Uh huh. With broken knuckles/hands and other assorted injuries. But sure, try the mockery.
coda

Post by coda »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:57 pm
coda wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:30 pm

Uh huh. With broken knuckles/hands and other assorted injuries. But sure, try the mockery.
It’s the hockey culture. Been that way forever
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

So Morgan resigned. People happy about that or not?
coda

Post by coda »

nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:42 pm So Morgan resigned. People happy about that or not?
Feels very Pressler like.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

coda wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:47 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:42 pm So Morgan resigned. People happy about that or not?
I don't know the fact. But reminds me of the famous Ray Donovan quote, "which office do I go to to get my reputation back?"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:53 pm
coda wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:47 pm
I don't know the fact. But reminds me of the famous Ray Donovan quote, "which office do I go to to get my reputation back?"
crazy times. Can only imagine the chaos that has been his life of late. As a college coach once told me “putting your livelihood in the hands of 18-23 y/o players is one high risk career”.

https://merrimackathletics.com/news/202 ... coach.aspx
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Having not witnessed the incident, would someone clarify how Merrimack's coach reacted/interacted wit the refs and as to how he handled the players actions? TIA

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”