ACC Tournament - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: ACC Tournament - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:32 am I wonder why the ACC decided to change the format this year. I'm glad they did. Spreading the tournament out over a week and a half makes more sense than jamming it into 4 days the way they used to. Too many big games between the best of the best to have it all over in a long weekend. Cool that the games will be in South Bend. (Anyone making the trip?) They have a nice facility. I also find it intriguing that the highest seed of the two teams left gets to play at home. Very cool new wrinkle. So we get 6 days to revel in the hype between the semifinals and the final. The play-in game is also a nice new feature. Next year perhaps they have 2 play-in games with Clemson joining the field, or the top 2 seeds will have byes. In any event--it all starts this week. Some of the games in the quarters will barely be watchable for me. The Tar Heels will stomp whichever team they draw. Yawn. Pretty sure Syracuse will do the same to Ginny. Yawn. BC will crush VT as well but I have to watch that cuz love. Duke/Notre Dame might actually be a close game if the Irish bring their best Fight. Ve shall see, ve shall see...

2022 ACC Women’s Lacrosse Championship
First Three Rounds at Arlotta Stadium, Notre Dame, Indiana

Wednesday, April 27 – First Round
2 p.m. – No. 8 Pitt vs. No. 9 Louisville

Friday, April 29 – Quarterfinals
Noon – No. 1 North Carolina vs. No. 8 Pitt/No. 9 Louisville winner
2:30 p.m. – No. 4 Duke vs. No. 5 Notre Dame
5 p.m. – No. 2 Boston College vs. No. 7 Virginia Tech
7:30 p.m. – No. 3 Syracuse vs. No. 6 Virginia

Sunday, May 1 – Semifinals
1 p.m. – UNC/Pitt/Louisville winner vs. Duke/Notre Dame winner
3:30 p.m. – Boston College/Virginia Tech winner vs. Syracuse/Virginia winner

Saturday, May 7 (at site of highest remaining seed)
6 p.m. – Championship Game

All games televised on ACC Network
Carolina coach Jenny Levy takes a swipe at the schedulers of this years ACC format in the postgame interview.

cltlax

Post by cltlax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:01 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:54 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:46 pm Did the commentator really just reference final exams as a reason why Dook is taking a beating? I am not a fan of either program, but come on. How about ‘Wow, Notre Dame is putting an ass kicking on Dook?’ Games are decided on the field. No play well, no win game.
She did. Remember Duke is the most academic school in the acc...wait, in the ncaa....so naturally academics come first.

All of the above was written in sarcastica font.
As a proud Demon Deacon, I applaud the sarcastica. The university of New Jersey at Durham … buh-bye.
Go Deacs! Watcher, I'm a proud alum as well.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:50 am hmmm said..."BC is going to need Hall to step up like she did in semis last year."

The above statement is true, but the chances of that happening a 2nd time are super-slim and Not. If you're betting, take Not!
Rachel Hall in ACC play has a Sv. Pct of 29%. Her overall Sv. Pct in 17 games is 34%. BC may have won a Title last year with Hall "stepping up" in the Semifinal and Final, but that cannot be a strategy going forward. Hall will have to climb Mount Olympus to step up this post season.

I say this all the time, "One can't predict the future from what has happened in the past", especially in regards to sports. Did anyone give BC a chance to win a national title last year based on Hall's play going into the big dance?

No doubt, Hall is having a rough year. I’m sure she knows it better than anyone. I wonder how she (or any player for that matter) deals with it. Her teammates and coaching staff I’m certain are supportive and encouraging. She might find her groove again. It’s certainly not impossible.

One thing is different this year from last – BC‘s defense has improved. Courtney Taylor has been a great addition. Hollie Schleicher has been outstanding. Excellent Sydney Scales has one more year of experience as do Hunter Roman and Melanie Welch. Midfielders Belle Smith and Cassidy Weeks have also been solid and have themselves added another year of experience to round out the stalwart defensive corps. I don’t know if there is a better defensive unit in D1 today. If this D plays the way they’ve been playing or *gasp* gets even better this May, they could win another national title, maybe an ACC trophy to boot.

Hall may or may not find her '21 championship weekend mojo again, but the way this team is starting to play, they might not need her to. I’m not saying it’s a recipe for success, but it just might be enough this year to win—not only to repeat as national champs, but to snag the ACC title, as well. We shall see.

And we haven't even factored in the high powered BC offense…
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

"Hall may or may not find her '21 championship weekend mojo again, but the way this team is starting to play, they might not need her to. I’m not saying it’s a recipe for success, but it just might be enough this year to win—not only to repeat as national champs, but to snag the ACC title, as well. We shall see."

No; BC is plenty good at both ends and between the 30s. But you have to get stops, because eventually a good team will get them. At this point, BC is banking on UNC having a terrifically bad day. I wish her and them all the best. As between BC and UNC, I'll root for BC. But I'm not seeing it.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

https://twitter.com/theACC/status/15231 ... gr%5Etweet

I know it's customary for the ACC to limit their all-tournament selections to players from teams that at least make the semifinals, but I was really hoping to see DiFatta on this list.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:34 am "Hall may or may not find her '21 championship weekend mojo again, but the way this team is starting to play, they might not need her to. I’m not saying it’s a recipe for success, but it just might be enough this year to win—not only to repeat as national champs, but to snag the ACC title, as well. We shall see."

No; BC is plenty good at both ends and between the 30s. But you have to get stops, because eventually a good team will get them. At this point, BC is banking on UNC having a terrifically bad day. I wish her and them all the best. As between BC and UNC, I'll root for BC. But I'm not seeing it.
You mean Rachel Hall consistently posting a 32% save percentage isn't going to cut it? It's only slightly below her season average of 34%. She's going to have to have a game where she stands on her head again to beat UNC. They're going to need her to be a lot better than she's been to even get that far. It's not all her fault. The BC defense is giving up shots that it would be hard for any goalie to save.
OuttaNowhereWregget

2024 ACC Tournament - Seeds, schedule and thoughts

April 24-28 – Quarterfinals-Championship
American Legion Memorial Stadium, Charlotte, N.C.

Wednesday, April 24 – Quarterfinals

11 a.m. – No. 1 Syracuse vs. No. No. 9 Louisville
2 p.m. – No. 4 North Carolina vs. No. 5 Virginia
5 p.m. – No. 2 Notre Dame vs. No. 7 Clemson
8 p.m. – No. 3 Boston College vs. No. 6 Duke

Friday, April 26 – Semifinals

5 p.m. – Syracuse/Louisville vs. North Carolina/Virginia
8 p.m. – Notre Dame/Clemson vs. Boston College/Duke

Sunday, April 28 – Championship Game

Noon – Semifinal Winners

All games televised on ACC Network
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Really glad ACC has already kicked off their tournament, that said, I think EVERY other conference final is the following weekend. ACC girls get a LONG break between games.
OuttaNowhereWregget

The marquee matchup on Wednesday is #5 Virginia vs #4 North Carolina. Too bad they stuck it at 2pm instead of later in prime time. No matter--I'll watch it on tape delay when I get home. The rest of the quarterfinal games should be fairly easy wins for the top seeds.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:31 am The marquee matchup on Wednesday is #5 Virginia vs #4 North Carolina. Too bad they stuck it at 2pm instead of later in prime time. No matter--I'll watch it on tape delay when I get home. The rest of the quarterfinal games should be fairly easy wins for the top seeds.
Hoping the feed works on the office network lol.
OuttaNowhereWregget

spidey44 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:31 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:31 am The marquee matchup on Wednesday is #5 Virginia vs #4 North Carolina. Too bad they stuck it at 2pm instead of later in prime time. No matter--I'll watch it on tape delay when I get home. The rest of the quarterfinal games should be fairly easy wins for the top seeds.
Cooking up some lines for the quarters...?
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:08 am
spidey44 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:31 am
Cooking up some lines for the quarters...?
Indeed. Standby.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Huh. Going to have to "work" from home today.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I might have to miss my AARP meeting but the time works for me.
Kinda cool, I'll get to see three of my new friends on TV today. ;)
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:45 am Huh. Going to have to "work" from home today.
Couldn't ask for better spacing. Now you just have to hope the yelling lady doesn't get assigned play-by-play duties.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:03 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:45 am Huh. Going to have to "work" from home today.
Couldn't ask for better spacing. Now you just have to hope the yelling lady doesn't get assigned play-by-play duties.
I am sort of assuming Leah will do these games. At least she knows a bit about the rules and is enthusiastic.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:35 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:03 am
I am sort of assuming Leah will do these games. At least she knows a bit about the rules and is enthusiastic.
Good chance it's Jay Alter and SSB. We'll know in less than 2 hours now.
Hello

Post by Hello »

How much could the outcome of the tournament impact final NCAA seeding?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

And...we get started with a terrible green card call.

And a really long VAR review....
Last edited by Seacoaster(1) on Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:06 am And...we get started with a terrible green card call.
This may get out of control quickly ......Hopefully Louisville can keep it somewhat competitive.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”