Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:07 pm He feels more like Shack to me; but agreed a Stanwick is the comparison
My post even bringing them up was in response to someone saying that the guys coming in next year will push for starting attack roles.

With everyone lamenting the lack of dodging, the comments about Ford and Gardiner don't seem to support them displacing upperclassmen.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:19 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:07 pm He feels more like Shack to me; but agreed a Stanwick is the comparison
My post even bringing them up was in response to someone saying that the guys coming in next year will push for starting attack roles.

With everyone lamenting the lack of dodging, the comments about Ford and Gardiner don't seem to support them displacing upperclassmen.
Well, the attack right now is Erksa, Malever, and Maltz/Kelly. One of those spots could be up for grabs as Maltz will be graduating and I’m p certain Kelly is out of eligibility as well (he played in four games in 2021; this stuff is weird now, but that usually is a year used up.) That could open a spot on the wing for a guy like Gardiner. Maybe they choose to portal it. But you’ll need a shooter in that spot.

Erksa and Malever are both not producing anywhere near what’s needed for this team to compete for championships. Erksa’s turnovers are crippling and Malever unfortunately just does not have any burst after the injury. I think, as others have touched on, consideration should be made to bumping Erksa down to midfield and running him out of the box. You’re losing Siracusa and Koras from the midfield, so you will need production there. Attack right now is not working for him. That could absolutely open up a spot for Ford, who has what Erksa lacks in passing, vision, lacrosse IQ, etc. Erksa might be a better dodger, but it doesn’t manifest itself against good teams, so right now it’s not a massive add to the team.

Malever is the wild card. The way he looks now, it looks Joey Epstein-ish. But it’s been 12 games. He could come back looking much better next year and he’s an easy starter. I imagine he stays in one of the spots to start because if he does find the burst and confidence again, he adds so much.

So you’re not necessarily asking them to displace upperclassmen as you are filling a hole you’ll have at attack and then reallocating personnel by position.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

Gardiner can definitely give them some dodging punch that they lack right now. I’ve seen him a decent amount as my son and his friends have played him at Gonzaga and on the summer club circuit. He can get to the goal. I think more as a middle but time will tell.

I think Kelly has another year. But honestly, the attack needs to be upgraded
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Wells Stanwick would be my second choice as a clone for Ford Jr.
(Ford) grew up supporting Johns Hopkins — the school where his grandfather went. Towson offered an obvious appeal because his father played lacrosse there. However, Maryland’s success caught his eye.

Ford Jr.’s high school coach at Boys’ Latin School of Maryland, Brian Farrell, played long-stick middie for Maryland men’s lacrosse and helped Ford Jr. make the decision on where he’d play in college.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:56 pm Wells Stanwick would be my second choice as a clone for Ford Jr.
(Ford) grew up supporting Johns Hopkins — the school where his grandfather went. Towson offered an obvious appeal because his father played lacrosse there. However, Maryland’s success caught his eye.

Ford Jr.’s high school coach at Boys’ Latin School of Maryland, Brian Farrell, played long-stick middie for Maryland men’s lacrosse and helped Ford Jr. make the decision on where he’d play in college.
I'll say Jay Carlson. Crafty.

Also, I assume an 8-5 Terps team with a tough schedule and a couple excellent wins would still be a safe bet for the tournament? This is not a scary team at all, but it would still suck from a 1 or 2 seed's perspective to draw Tillman early in the tournament. Like when we got UVA in '22; they weren't usual UVA, but it still sucked to draw them.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They’re in the tournament 100%. They’re still a seed right now, so even if there’s bid stealing they have a clear path over multiple teams.
Terpsfan17

Post by Terpsfan17 »

They are a maybe as a seed

Quint coming for Maryland offense again lol

https://laxallstars.com/quint-kessenich ... 22nd-2024/

sounds oddly familiar to the group on this board
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:34 pm They’re in the tournament 100%. They’re still a seed right now, so even if there’s bid stealing they have a clear path over multiple teams.
Even with a loss to PSU? I figure that may just send them on the road.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

JerrysWorld wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:33 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:34 pm They’re in the tournament 100%. They’re still a seed right now, so even if there’s bid stealing they have a clear path over multiple teams.
As long as we don't have to go to ND or UVA, I don't think seed matters much to this team. They're just as likely to beat other top teams on the road as they are to lose to a lower seed at home. I bet the committee will try hard to get Terps-Hoyas in the first round.
viho

Post by viho »

Terpsfan17 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:41 pm They are a maybe as a seed

I’ve got no problem with Qs top 10 and agree with him that MD should hit the gas and play even faster half field sets.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

keno in reno wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:07 pm
JerrysWorld wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:33 pm
As long as we don't have to go to ND or UVA, I don't think seed matters much to this team. They're just as likely to beat other top teams on the road as they are to lose to a lower seed at home. I bet the committee will try hard to get Terps-Hoyas in the first round.
I don’t think UVA is a lock for a home game if they lose out. And I think they have ND plus ACC semis. So it’s a possibility.

We are their best win.
Finster

Post by Finster »

viho wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:56 pm
Terpsfan17 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:41 pm They are a maybe as a seed

I’ve got no problem with Qs top 10 and agree with him that MD should hit the gas and play even faster half field sets.

I made this point here recently. I don’t understand slow play when you’ve got Weirman. It makes no sense to not go fast if you’re likely to win more face offs.
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

Makes no sense. The offense plays painfully slow. Quint's assessment was spot on. Players looked slow and tentative. Passed up on a good shot in favor of continuing to pass the ball around the outside. This isn't an issue of talent, it's the game plan.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

sportsfan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:24 pm Makes no sense. The offense plays painfully slow. Quint's assessment was spot on. Players looked slow and tentative. Passed up on a good shot in favor of continuing to pass the ball around the outside. This isn't an issue of talent, it's the game plan.
I strongly disagree with it isn’t an issue of talent. It is.

But I also strongly agree that the game plan needs to be to start playing faster. Especially with Wierman.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

JerrysWorld wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:47 pm
sportsfan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:24 pm Makes no sense. The offense plays painfully slow. Quint's assessment was spot on. Players looked slow and tentative. Passed up on a good shot in favor of continuing to pass the ball around the outside. This isn't an issue of talent, it's the game plan.

But I also strongly agree that the game plan needs to be to start playing faster. Especially with Wierman.
Lack of on field leadership
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Some MD recruits playing this afternoon

BL vs McDonogh @4:14

McDonogh (Md.)
‘25 Aidan Seibel G
‘25 Eli Schaller M (#27j

Boys' Latin (Md.)
‘24 Spencer Ford A (#18)
‘25 Matthew Higgins A (#5)

https://www.youtube.com/live/NY-W1wEWX2 ... 7kB1uWDBC3
fsclax

Post by fsclax »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:52 pm

What surprises me, regarding talent, is that there are a number of players who aren't much better, if at all, than they were a couple years ago. Is that on them or does the system hold them back? Other than being injured, it seems odd to peak with a couple years remaining.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

fsclax wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:44 pm
AreaLax wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:52 pm

What surprises me, regarding talent, is that there are a number of players who aren't much better, if at all, than they were a couple years ago. Is that on them or does the system hold them back? Other than being injured, it seems odd to peak with a couple years remaining.
Let's be fair here, several guys are better than a couple years ago.
Kelly barely played his first 2 years. Siracusa couldn't crack the lineup and Spanos redshirted. Koras is much more impactful. Two guys who have noticeably struggled both had severe knee injuries. That said, this offense is awful
Finster

Post by Finster »

This thread reads like a post-mortem on a wasted season. You guys are performing an autopsy on the patient while he’s still alive, already looking at 2025. Man.

Tillman could turn this around with one decision: go uptempo. You’ve got an AA first teamer at FOGO but you take the full shot clock to get off crud shots. THAT MAKES NO SENSE EVEN IF YOUR TEAM NEEDS BETTER SHOOTERS. Make it take it. Let the boys feast.
Pork42

Post by Pork42 »

6 on 6 : If you can't win a match up then get your short stick match up, stuff the crease with big guys screening the goalie, get to the middle and let it fly, maybe have Maltz down there and others for garbage goals. Kind like hockey. Hit a few defenseman with with some shots, they just might move out of the way next time leaving someone open and for God's sake have a backup.
Transition: Spend alot of time on this.
Shooting: extended practice. Recommend 1 hour of shooting meditation before falling asleep. Maybe some hypnotherapy.
Have a practice barefoot on natural grass.
Players who react better when mad make them mad.
Coddle the one who need coddling.
It's all so simple have fun.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”