The Independent State Legislature Doctrine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
faircornell

Re: SCOTUS

Post by faircornell »

Lax Fidelis wrote:This question is addressed to those who have been closely following the nomination process. An article that I read earlier today stated that Mitch McConnell told Trump to not nominate Kavanaugh. Anyone know why Mitch recommended that?

As for OD ignoring the Senate leader's advice, what's new? A king doesn't need counselors when he's a very stable genius. :roll:
My recollection is that McConnell simply said that the "paper trail was too long" implying that there were too many issues that could sidetrack the process. This was something that was reported shortly after the nomination was announced, but I don't recall the source.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Trump calls this a big con job but says he could be swayed.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

tech37

Post by tech37 »

man... this has the feeling of Duke Lacrosse all over it.
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

This Swetnick woman seems like a complete whore. Just google her name and you can find she is promiscuous with lots of STDs lol.
Farfromgeneva is a sissy soy boy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote:man... this has the feeling of Duke Lacrosse all over it.
This “case” has a crooked district attorney?
“I wish you would!”
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:
just trying to be funny?...or too literal?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

What makes you say this?

Four accusers:

one of whom took the trouble to agree to testify before a Senate Committee, and

another who retained a lawyer and submitted a declaration.

What's the parallel tech, just the subject matter and the fact that we may never really know what the heck happened?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Just curious, if anyone knows: How did the Committee majority choose Mitchell?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

tech37 wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:
just trying to be funny?...or too literal?
Other than the subject, not sure how this is like the Duke case. There are people that are falsely accused from
Time to time. Did you see the articles about the girl from NJ that accused two college football players of “raping” her. Turned out to be false. But I am not of the opinion that most women lie about assault charges. I am all for investigating and clearing a person. Not doing a real investigation is just criminal. The FBI investigated the Anita Hill case in 4 Days. It’s not that complicated. Clear the man’s name.
“I wish you would!”
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

The accuser at Duke wanted to punish the privileged preppy brats.

What the motive here? Why would Ford throw herself in front of this train?
If you believe it's to punish a guy who assaulted her years ago, well, then it proves he did it.

I certainly don't believe she is sacrificing her (until now) peaceful life in order to save the country from the reversal of Roe v Wade.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

seacoaster wrote:Just curious, if anyone knows: How did the Committee majority choose Mitchell?
Cause she has that motherly, non-threatening appeal.

Or, no other decent DA who prosecutes sex crimes would have any part of it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

seriously? wrote:
seacoaster wrote:Just curious, if anyone knows: How did the Committee majority choose Mitchell?

Let's hope that Mitchell surprises to the upside in how she handles this situation. If she looks to illuminate each account carefully, rather than act as an advocate for the R's intent to ram Kavanaugh through, then that would be helpful. If she simply acts as an inquisitor of Ford and a defender of Kavanaugh, her gender will not likely be a sufficient shield for the GOP Senators.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Trinity wrote:Trump calls this a big con job but says he could be swayed.
Why is that a bad thing? It shows he has loyalty. If I tell you I saw your wife kissing another man, would you immediately divorce her?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Sorry, I meant how did they find Mitchell? Who recommended her? Were other folks in the running?

It just seems a little unusual to pick a sex crimes prosecutor to conduct a relatively balanced examination of two witnesses not involved in a criminal trial.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

seacoaster wrote:Sorry, I meant how did they find Mitchell? Who recommended her? Were other folks in the running?

It just seems a little unusual to pick a sex crimes prosecutor to conduct a relatively balanced examination of two witnesses not involved in a criminal trial.
Probably because the me too (bowel) movement will not disparage a women for asking questions of a sexual nature, much safer than old white men. At least the water will not get muddied post interview by saying men asking questions were insensitive and misogynistic.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DMac

Post by DMac »

Get your coffee and bagels fellas, show's about to begin. I hope BK goes down, believe he got away with a lot of stuff as a privileged prep and college boy but it's caught up with him. Too long ago to be held accountable now? Don't know, don't care. Had he been held accountable/called out back then would he be where he is now? Payback is a complain, eh?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

seriously? wrote:

Don't know why they picked her, but she has a bit of an issue surrounding her. Maricopa county had a problem in the prosecution of sex offenders. Joe Arpaio was clearly part of the problem. Some folks thought the DA (Mitchell) was as well. Others claim she was part of the solution. I don't know or have an opinion. I really don't think it matters (Mitchell being used) other than it illustrates the problem with the 11 dwarfs.

I think what is clear is that the Republicans are going to attempt to play the innocent till proven guilty gambit.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote:I think what is clear is that the Republicans are going to attempt to play the innocent till proven guilty gambit.
As opposed to the Democrats who believe you are guilty until proven innocent. Come on man, you are better than that.
~Livy

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DMac wrote:Get your coffee and bagels fellas, show's about to begin. I hope BK goes down, believe he got away with a lot of stuff as a privileged prep and college boy but it's caught up with him. Too long ago to be held accountable now? Don't know, don't care. Had he been held accountable/called out back then would he be where he is now? Payback is a complain, eh?
Interesting perspective. What I find interesting is that this would normally be the reaction of most of Trump's base (know you are not a Trump supporter). Elitist snob thinks he is above us, looking down. Clearly not what they are saying about him.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”