Any win over Maryland is satsifying.
DougELax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by DougELax »

Where is that big wooden crab?
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Quint keeps citing Columbia blue when it's now Hopkins Blue. Not surprised.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I am happy for the Blue Jays and glad they won. They beat a really good Maryland team.

Having said that … the O did just about everything they could to lose this game. Stupid penalties. Inconsistency. Lack of aggressiveness.

The Hopkins D, now clearly the best in the nation, stole this one. Ierlan was great in goal.

But the O needs some serious work. Crawley has some work to do.

Can’t recall the last time I was so p*ssed after a win against Maryland.

They’re not going to beat teams with better offenses like this.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Here’s my big picture take - these teams are pretty evenly matched, but the Jays are just a bit better.

Ps - you want to talk about pathetic offense? Imagine being a Terps fan. Go see what those guys are saying on their thread.
DougELax

Post by DougELax »

Just thankful for the win. Have to give Maryland D a little credit for poor Hopkins offense, BUT offense needs to be better than that. Ierlan back to back saves should make Sport Center Top Ten plays tonight. Awesome.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Man,

were those offenses horrific.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

"The Hopkins D, now clearly the best in the nation"

They are good, but I don't know about clearly best. This offensive performance certainly was :? however
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Offense really misses English in a game like this, especially with a less-than-100% Melendez. Maryland is one of the few teams, like JHU, where they feel comfortable switching any defender to any dodger. English really can't be guarded by a shortie and would have made a difference.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DougELax wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:12 pm Just thankful for the win. Have to give Maryland D a little credit for poor Hopkins offense, BUT offense needs to be better than that. Ierlan back to back saves should make Sport Center Top Ten plays tonight. Awesome.
Coach Crawley better NOT be smiling after this game.

He should be p*ssed.

The entire Hopkins O should be p*ssed at themselves.

The important thing for PM and Crawley to understand is this:

The Hopkins D is masking some serious deficiencies on O.

The Blue Jays need to seriously revamp their O, beginning with getting more aggressive play from their big middies. Opponents are comfortable routinely shortsticking guys like Collison, Peshko, and Grimes. Not out of necessity, but preference.

THAT is really telling. THAT needs to change.

If they don’t amp up the O, the Blue Jays are going to get exposed in the NCAA tournament.

The Hopkins D is good enough to win a national championship.

In contrast, the O has become a problem.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

norcalhop wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:08 pm Quint keeps citing Columbia blue when it's now Hopkins Blue. Not surprised.
officially, Hopkins calls it Sprit Blue (PMS 284), but outside of Homewood, its still a shade of Columbia blue

https://brand.jhu.edu/color/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_blue
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:24 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:08 pm Quint keeps citing Columbia blue when it's now Hopkins Blue. Not surprised.
officially, Hopkins calls it Sprit Blue (PMS 284), but outside of Homewood, its still a shade of Columbia blue

Colors here: https://hopkinssports.com/sports/2018/6 ... facts.aspx
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:24 pm

and Here:

https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/Joh ... 6369.EJUG5
Last edited by norcalhop on Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JayBlue

Post by JayBlue »

I’ve been critical of our goalie in the past but what a great performance, so happy for him. The rest of the defense and short stick middies played great as well. One of the best all around team defensive games I’ve watched. I was surprised with all the Maryland turnovers and I don’t think they could beat us 1 v 1. If our defense doesn’t have to slide and create opportunities, we’re going to be very tough to beat!
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

JayBlue wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:33 pm I’ve been critical of our goalie in the past but what a great performance, so happy for him. The rest of the defense and short stick middies played great as well. One of the best all around team defensive games I’ve watched. I was surprised with all the Maryland turnovers and I don’t think they could beat us 1 v 1. If our defense doesn’t have to slide and create opportunities, we’re going to be very tough to beat!
Ierlan is a few standard deviations above any Hopkins goalie in the past 10 years.
JayBlue

Post by JayBlue »

Also, didn’t Quint let slip last year that no one likes Maryland unless you went there? He doesn’t even know who he likes at this point. Get him out of there!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Anyway …

… congratulations to the Blue Jays. They probably clinched a top 8 seed in the NCAA tournament.

That means one more home game at Homewwod in the first round.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

You just beat your most bitter rival for the second consecutive regular season - after having lost 6 of the 7 you have played them in the past 3 years under the current head coach - want to give the Crab Trophy back? As they say in golf - they don't ask for pictures.

I am not going to kill Quint for using "Columbia Blue" many old timers still think it's Columbia Blue and Black not Hopkins Blue not Spirit Blue - it's Pantone 284 whatver you want to call it. Columbia Blue is Pantone 290.

I am going to kill him about his second half performance which was shameful. One defense - which held the opponents to 7 goals was apparently the 1979 Hopkins team reincarnated. The other - which held the #5 or #6 ranked team to 5 goals was getting by on incredible offensive ineptitude. He tried to recover a little bit at the very end by talking about Chayse and the meaning of the rivalry amongst alums but it fell way short of a color commentator woefully one sided about one team ironically not the one he played for.

Get some rest - come back energized - The 2024 Spirit/Hopkins Blue and Black will take the field one more time at Homewood on May 11/12.

Just a great performance by Chayse and the defense.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”