Tewaaraton Award 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxfan1313

Re: Tewaaraton Award 2024

Post by laxfan1313 »

Chousnake wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:55 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:03 pm
Finster wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:57 pm My $0.02 on the Tewaaraton 2024.

Pending Yale, UVA, and Cornell team tournament results, and obviously remaining individual output, today my ranking is the following:

1. Matt Brandau

2. Connor Shellenberger

3. CJ Kirst

I don’t seee anyone else remotely close to these three. Nor do I see anyone else winning the award even if their team wins the championship and they excel while doing so. I think these three are that far ahead.
I like the first 2... CJ kirst, I don't see it happening this year, unfortunately. 54 points this year at #20 in the nation. Think he's a terrific player but a bit underwhelming point totals this year. And, Michael Long has more points than him.
I'm not saying Kirst deserves the award, but he's 3 points behind Shelly and ahead of him in PPG. He's 9th in PPG. And his contribution on the ride is often overlooked.

I don't see how Brandau is not the odds on favorite right now. All this talk about schedule and opponents and teammates and shots is ridiculous. He's the best player in the nation this season so far by a large margin and the only people saying otherwise are ACC and B10 fans who just don't accept that the Ivy League is on a par with those conferences.
CJ will be back at Cornell next year so if he doesn't win it this year, he'll be a favorite next year.
another fan

Post by another fan »

I agree that Brandau is having a great year and is the favorite for the Tewaarton.

As to Kirst, I'm not sure this is much of a factor in Tewaarton consideration, but those who have seen him regularly know that he is a very complete player. In addition to attributes that have already been mentioned he is great riding-- 14 caused turnovers in 11 games are numbers more usually seen with poles. He's also great coming up with contested ground balls.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Pending Yale, UVA, and Cornell team tournament results, and obviously remaining individual output, today my ranking is the following:

1. Matt Brandau

2. Connor Shellenberger

3. CJ Kirst

I don’t seee anyone else remotely close to these three. Nor do I see anyone else winning the award even if their team wins the championship and they excel while doing so. I think these three are that far ahead.
I like the first 2... CJ kirst, I don't see it happening this year, unfortunately. 54 points this year at #20 in the nation. Think he's a terrific player but a bit underwhelming point totals this year. And, Michael Long has more points than him.
I'm not saying Kirst deserves the award, but he's 3 points behind Shelly and ahead of him in PPG. He's 9th in PPG. And his contribution on the ride is often overlooked.

I don't see how Brandau is not the odds on favorite right now. All this talk about schedule and opponents and teammates and shots is ridiculous. He's the best player in the nation this season so far by a large margin and the only people saying otherwise are ACC and B10 fans who just don't accept that the Ivy League is on a par with those conferences.
Brandau may be the the best player in the country (haven't seen him this season so I don't know), but the Ivy League is certainly not on par with the ACC. The B1G is a bit down this year, but it's still better than the Ivy.
molo

Post by molo »

I thought so, too, at the beginning of the season. I’m not sure I agree now.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

keno in reno wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:55 pm

1. Matt Brandau

2. Connor Shellenberger

3. CJ Kirst

Brandau may be the the best player in the country (haven't seen him this season so I don't know), but the Ivy League is certainly not on par with the ACC. The B1G is a bit down this year, but it's still better than the Ivy.
Yes, Ivy teams are a wretched 3-4 this season against both ACC and B1G teams, clearly "not on par." :roll: #1 Notre Dame's 18-17 recent rout of Cornell and Maryland's 14-13 overtime thrashing of Ivy 5th-place Brown abundantly illustrate your point.
coda

Post by coda »

1. Matt Brandau

2. Connor Shellenberger

3. CJ Kirst

I think the Ivy plays a different game. It is much more offensive. They have 4 players in the top 10 in the country in pts per game. There are only 2 players in the country averaging over 6 pts a game, both are in the Ivy (King and Brandau). By comparison the Big 10 and ACC have 1 each in the top 10 (Malone and Spallina).
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Gobigred wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:57 pm

1. Matt Brandau

2. Connor Shellenberger

3. CJ Kirst

Yes, Ivy teams are a wretched 3-4 this season against both ACC and B1G teams, clearly "not on par." :roll: #1 Notre Dame's 18-17 recent rout of Cornell and Maryland's 14-13 overtime thrashing of Ivy 5th-place Brown abundantly illustrate your point.
You can be as hyperbolic as you want, but Notre Dame is better than every Ivy. So is UVA. So is Duke; they have a long history of losing to worse teams early in the season. Now that Syracuse is much improved, they make the ACC that much better than Ivy teams.

Cornell can beat anyone in the tournament for sure. But they would be multi-goal underdogs against the top 3 ACC's. Not sure about Yale (I haven't seen them). None of the other Ivies would have a chance against the top 3 ACC teams when it matters.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

keno in reno wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:23 pm

1. Matt Brandau

2. Connor Shellenberger

3. CJ Kirst

You can be as hyperbolic as you want, but Notre Dame is better than every Ivy. So is UVA. So is Duke; they have a long history of losing to worse teams early in the season. Now that Syracuse is much improved, they make the ACC that much better than Ivy teams.

Cornell can beat anyone in the tournament for sure. But they would be multi-goal underdogs against the top 3 ACC's. Not sure about Yale (I haven't seen them). None of the other Ivies would have a chance against the top 3 ACC teams when it matters.
How many games had 'Cuse played when they met Cornell? Not exactly early in the season.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

The goal posts have changed.
Now its, no chance against the top three ACCs.

I’m personally taking the time, time permitting, to catch as much of Brandau as possible before he’s gone.

He’s having a Lyle Thompson, Grant Ament type of season.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:42 pm The goal posts have changed.

I’m personally taking the time, time permitting, to catch as much of Brandau as possible before he’s gone.

Sorry, what are the original goalposts?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

keno in reno wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:16 pm

Sorry, what are the original goalposts?
I'm not advocating any particular Tewaaraton winner, but to your point:

1) Lyle's Thompson's most productive season: 7.11 points/game
2) Matt Brandau's current season: 7.17 points/game
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

1. Matt Brandau

2. Connor Shellenberger

3. CJ Kirst

And your support for these "hyperbolic" assertions is what? I see nothing.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Gobigred wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:42 am

1. Matt Brandau

2. Connor Shellenberger

3. CJ Kirst

To be fair, I agree with Keno: UNC is better than Columbia.

😜
bjred

Post by bjred »

2024 Men's 25 Nominees

Matt Brandau, Yale – Sr., Attack
Kenny Brower, Duke – Grad. Student, Defense
Graham Bundy Jr., Georgetown – Grad. Student, Midfield
Emmet Carroll, Penn – Sr., Goalie
Will Coletti, Army West Point – Jr., Face-Off
Liam Entenmann, Notre Dame – Grad. Student, Goalie
Jack Fracyon, Penn State – Jr., Goalie
Chayse Ierlan, Johns Hopkins – Grad. Student, Goalie
Cole Kastner, Virginia – Sr., Defense
Pat Kavanagh, Notre Dame – Grad. Student, Attack
Sam King, Harvard – Jr., Attack
CJ Kirst, Cornell – Sr., Attack
Shane Knobloch, Rutgers – Sr., Midfield
Coulter Mackesy, Princeton – Jr., Attack
TJ Malone, Penn State – Grad. Student, Attack
Will Mark, Syracuse – Grad. Student, Goalie
Brennan O’Neill, Duke – Sr., Attack
Jake Piseno, Albany – Grad. Student, Defense
Connor Shellenberger, Virginia – Grad. Student, Attack
Joey Spallina, Syracuse – Soph., Attack
Alec Stathakis, Denver – Grad. Student, Face-Off
Luke Wierman, Maryland – Grad. Student, Face-Off
Dalton Young, Richmond – Grad. Student, Attack
Ajax Zappitello, Maryland – Sr., Defense
Josh Zawada, Duke – Grad. Student, Attack
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Finster wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:35 am
Gobigred wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:42 am

1. Matt Brandau

2. Connor Shellenberger

3. CJ Kirst

To be fair, I agree with Keno: UNC is better than Columbia.

😜
Columbia better than Wake Forest? Where's the rest of the vaunted ACC? Two-thirds of the league afraid to compete? :lol:
coda

Post by coda »

I just look at the schedules of the top players.
Brandau has had far and away the easiest schedule. He has played 3 good defenses (PSU, Denver, and Penn)
Kirst and Shelly have had a much tougher road. Kind of crazy, given the goals Cornell is putting up, but they have played a killer schedule on the defensive side of the ball (DEnver, OSU, PSU, Penn, Cuse, and ND)..Kirst's biggest issue is Long is having a very similar year
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

bjred wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:09 am 2024 Men's 25 Nominees

Crazy 13 of 25 are graduate "students"!
ACC w/ 6 and B10 w/ 3
coda

Post by coda »

CU88a wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:34 am
bjred wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:09 am 2024 Men's 25 Nominees

Crazy 13 of 25 are graduate "students"!
ACC w/ 6 and B10 w/ 3
The list is rough. I dont see how you have Entenmann and Mark on there and no Gianforcaro. Not sure how Wierman in on there and no Wietfeldt, who has been better and dominated the head to head.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

1. Matt Brandau

2. Connor Shellenberger

3. CJ Kirst

Haven’t you argued MOV doesn’t matter previously? If incorrect no worries but I think I’ve observed that before. Is your position that MOV does matter?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:01 pm

1. Matt Brandau

2. Connor Shellenberger

3. CJ Kirst

I think the Ivy plays a different game. It is much more offensive. They have 4 players in the top 10 in the country in pts per game. There are only 2 players in the country averaging over 6 pts a game, both are in the Ivy (King and Brandau). By comparison the Big 10 and ACC have 1 each in the top 10 (Malone and Spallina).
Problem is the bottom 1-2 are typically well below the bottom of their conferences. Could be smoothed out with OOC but there’s a difference there between Dart/UMich/rutgers/UNC. Brown losing to many odd duck schools this year and then beating pton has me more questioning the middle of the Ivy than declaring it strong this year/
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”