thatsmell

Re: TV Announcers Consternation Station

Post by thatsmell »

Gotcha. Makes more sense.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

I loved Boyle's intermission comments where he compared Garnsey's sudden eligibility helping Notre Dame to a WWE match where the good guy is on the wrong side of a beating then gets rescued by another wrestler who suddenly appears out of the crowd and bursts into the ring to help him. Cracked me up.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Suspended by ND for academics
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I applaud ND for trying to have a more stringent academic standard than the ncaa policy. Many schools do this. I just question the teeth or point of said standard if he was just suspended from games and not practices. I get that it’s a penalty to miss games, but seems counterintuitive to suspend him so he can focus on academics only to have him spend 5 hours a day with the lax team practicing/running/lifting etc. That is all.
Congrats to Garnsey for getting his act together. I hope the IL keyboard jockeys who covered Garnsey’s suspension with such fervor do follow up stories about his hard work to get back to playing games.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Academic eligibility rules are determined by the ncaa not the school. Everyone that is an ncaa athlete has the same requirements. The issue for the stronger academic schools is that it’s harder for student athletes to maintain those requirements set by the ncaa.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Some schools have higher standards than the NCAA mandates
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I think it's a legitimate question as to whether ANY school is doing academic suspensions based on tougher standards than the NCAA.

I've never heard of such happening, including at Ivies, which do indeed have their own, tougher, conference rules on all sorts of topics.

But perhaps I'm mistaken?

Personally, I have some empathy on this topic. I received an academic probation letter during the summer after my freshman year (1.5 GPA, failed 3 of 9 courses, 2 in spring trimester...never showed up for classes, tests, etc in them - couldn't get out of bed, serious Depression)...warning me that even a C going forward would result in my dismissal. I was a mess, but very, very late in that spring semester my girlfriend, future wife, realized how deep I was and helped me begin to dig out of the depression and re-engage. I went to the three profs I had classes with that term, having never been in their classrooms, never received a syllabus, etc and begged them for extra work and a chance to take the final. Worked my tail off for the final three weeks. Working hard again felt good. One passed me with a C-, the others straight F's.

Over the summer I continued to make a little progress toward confronting the hole I'd dug, in so many ways. I signed up for 4 instead of 3 classes for fall term, (having had 2 AP credits coming in, I needed just 1 credit to catch up). The Dean called me in and said, what in the world are you thinking, you couldn't handle 3 courses! I said, don't worry, I'm going to go to class. And I did. Got a straight A in government and said, ok that's my major. Graduated with honors in dual major, chose to do a thesis, etc. No more C's or below.

Kids go through all sorts of things in those years, sometimes way beyond their comprehension and 'control'. All sorts of things can be a struggle, even for those who seemingly have everything 'in control' and positive.

I can't even imagine, though, what it must be like to be so in the public spotlight!
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sun May 19, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

I was hoping to get a different announcing crew today.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Me too.

Quint is sniffing Spencer’s jock every time he touches the ball and silence from him after Ament dives. He seems to want to talk up O’Keefe to minimize Ament?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

I am glad we have got to point where we can complain about TV announcers for lax.
thetruth

Post by thetruth »

Drink every time either Anish or Quint refers to some player as a former high school football player. It’s as if they’re trying to justify the sports athletic chops by saying “hey, these guys played football in high school!!”
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

"Big 12 football defense." Ummmm, sure, okay.
oldsportsfan

Post by oldsportsfan »

Does any one know what the time of possession was for each team. Seems like it was Penn St. by a lot
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Do Paul and Quint realize they aren't in college anymore ? Or even close ? Please stop trying to sound like you are of the same generation that you are covering. Ugh...
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

flyerfan17 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:13 pm Do Paul and Quint realize they aren't in college anymore ? Or even close ? Please stop trying to sound like you are of the same generation that you are covering. Ugh...
If the games were not so good I would turn it off.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Please, please, for the love of GOD, no more Anish/ Quint/ Carc
renault

Post by renault »

DaneFan wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:18 pm
flyerfan17 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:13 pm Do Paul and Quint realize they aren't in college anymore ? Or even close ? Please stop trying to sound like you are of the same generation that you are covering. Ugh...
If the games were not so good I would turn it off.
Also pretty embarrassing that Carc dresses like a 19-year-old every time he's on TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiOMbqPHFwo
tb toad

Post by tb toad »

Hats off to Anish who closed the door for anyone else in the race for the Pulitzer Prize in journalism with his philosophic breakthrough, "The only way to beat Penn St. is to outscore them". Wonder if that can be applied to other sports as well.

Thanks sooo much.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

renault wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:53 pm Carc dresses like a 19-year-old
really, truly embarrassing... the flat bill... really?
primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:50 pm Please, please, for the love of GOD, no more Anish/ Quint/ Carc
AGREED! Why can't we have grown ups?

Boyle, Ward, and Cottle would be the dream line-up to me. I am sure I am not getting the "proper" mix of color and play by play, but so what?
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

thetruth wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:52 pm Drink every time either Anish or Quint refers to some player as a former high school football player. It’s as if they’re trying to justify the sports athletic chops by saying “hey, these guys played football in high school!!”
I think this urge to justify permeates their presentation. Let the play on the field show the players abilities. No need to hype - the players are really good.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”