Brown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
bearlaxfan

Re: Brown 2024

Post by bearlaxfan »

mountainred wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:09 pm
wayfarer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:25 pm One example of an intra-IVY head coaching poach. I don't recall the circumstances but Gaudet is a Dartmouth alum.

https://dartmouthsports.com/sports/mens ... audet/1587
Another example:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Miller_(basketball) Didn't go well for the Quakers.

Maybe the rule is you can only raid Brown? :D
Heh. One of my profs (late 1970s) who had been around when the league formed (1954?) said the only reason Brown was invited in was so the other schools had some easy wins in hand. Don't know placement of his tongue relative to his cheek.
tmast33

Post by tmast33 »

Was the prof "Herr Schneer"?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

One disappointing thing about the lack of assists is that the Daly staff has been good at recruiting all-around attack. He's usually had two starters comfortable & competent at working from behind the goal. Started with Molloy (not his guy of course) & McCaleb, then McCaleb & Kniffin (one of my favorite players- I don't know who worked on his stringing, but he would put a pass into the stands almost every game), Cook & DMac. Wonder how much losing Cook halfway through '22 season affected the team, despite the fact they made the ncaa tourney anyway.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Brown +5 is easy money on DK
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

"Anger is an energy. Anger is an energy."- John Lydon.

Angry team squeaks out a win to keep slim ILT hopes alive. Couldn't attend, watched w/o sound on phone. Looked like Brown was double-shifting the first midfield, but they had enough energy to get through 60 mins.
#38 had a good first half; much needed.
Seemed Tigers looked at the relative records and thought they could sleepwalk to a win. They were very passive most of the first half. And then when they upped their energy they got back in the game but were still stuck playing Brown's slash & dash style. They couldn't get their precision offense working consistently enough, #11 was making just enough saves, #77 & wings winning just enough f/o's that Princeton could not pull ahead to put more pressure on Bruno.
White Shoes

Post by White Shoes »

Big win for sure. Princeton was definitely on their heels at the start and Brown winning 4 FO's in a row early was big. They started out moving the ball well in the first quarter, lots of passing and even a couple of assists. When they went back to more one on one in second quarter, Tigers started to come back. Game almost got away from them even with a 6 goal lead, but they hustled enough to win it. My question is why were the coaches not running a passing offense in the first 9 games? It works even if they still aren't getting many assisted goals, because they are getting better looks when the D is moving, and today at least they were getting more shots on goal and making those shots count.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

3 assists total, all by middies, on 13 goals and White Shoes is right, it's a step forward. Hooo boy. Tigers 8 of 12 goals assisted. Saw only last 1/3 of 1st quarter & even with that I was: this doesn't look like the usual offensive offense. Cutters. Passes getting to cutters! SOG!: 26 of 39 for the game.
3rd quarter saw some shots off clean faceoff wins & easy clears that are certainly Brown's DNA, but didn't fall, and that's when Princeton got the momentum, but Bears held up.
My previous post I claimed slim chances still remain for ILT. After yesterday is that accurate? 3-3 could do it? Home game v Dartmouth Bears will be favored. At Cambridge, +1, +2? Getting to 3-3, outside of ebola outbreaks at the conference leaders, what will it take?

Still hate the current athletic dept. website, and my issues are on both android & iOS platforms. Anyone else?
Last edited by bearlaxfan on Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Really nice win! Winning goal by #13 was spectacular. Goalie was amazing too.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Congratulations to Brown on a really great win over Princeton. Not just because it's been a tough season and they got a win over a ranked opponent, but as a "stand-alone game" it was outstanding; Brown's composure in hanging in there during two Princeton runs (game was tied at 8-8 and again at 12-12) was impressive.
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Small steps. Another win in next game get the season turned around. Still time They have shown they can play with the best and lose to the least. But that was a big win against a quality opponent
baylax72

Post by baylax72 »

Agreed. Congrats to the team and coaches on a very solid win with their backs against the wall. Beating PU is always special. Keep it up against the Big Green - intriguing match up of coach versus former player.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Brown's IL Tourney began 4/13. Next game has the coach/captain dynamic. Massey 83% Brown win. Can Brown win and still be knocked out of IL Tourney chance before the Harvard game?

And something I asked much earlier: is just making the IL tourney your aim for this program? Is that enough? Because that's all it is. That's not what it is for Yale, Cornell, Princeton, & Penn.
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

If Brown beats Dartmouth they cannot be eliminated this week, regardless of Princeton/Penn outcome.

If Princeton beats Penn this week, Brown will need them to lose to Yale next week. Princeton/Yale game on 4/27 is at noon, while Harvard/Brown is at 3:30p. Stakes will be clear. If Princeton beats Yale, after having beat Penn, Brown will be eliminated prior to start of Harvard game even with win vs Dartmouth.

Bottom line: Beat Dartmouth and keep hope alive for another week.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

bearlaxfan wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:25 am Brown's IL Tourney began 4/13. Next game has the coach/captain dynamic. Massey 83% Brown win. Can Brown win and still be knocked out of IL Tourney chance before the Harvard game?

And something I asked much earlier: is just making the IL tourney your aim for this program? Is that enough? Because that's all it is. That's not what it is for Yale, Cornell, Princeton, & Penn.
Our goal should be making the ILT EVERY year. Our goal should be making the NCAA's. It definitely should not be, let's pray that we win 4 games and sneak into the ILT.
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Goal should always be National Champions. If you dont start there you will never get there as a goal.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

IvyBrown wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:31 pm Goal should always be National Champions. If you dont start there you will never get there as a goal.
Understand that thinking but healthiest is to have multiple goals. Binary all or nothing approaches tend to lead to other distortions that impact execution.

I always like the approach ascribed to Coach K of breaking the game downs. Win the next two minutes. Ok now win this next two minutes.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Anyone know Daly's contract status? Asking for a friend :roll:

But seriously, it's needed knowledge so fans can get a handle on framing how the coaching, recruiting, and other program decisions are being made and what the future prospective and perspective seems to be for a team that's currently 2-9 and has been a mid-Ivy at best under the current regime.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I don't know anything about the above question but love a good Cinderella story so wishing Brown good luck today and would be delighted to see them win out in Ivy League play and make the ILT if the breaks go their way. In my playing days (zzzz ... snore . . . I know) I was rarely on a dominant team and had plenty of experience of playing for pride, teammates, moral victories and all those intangibles; I can absolutely appreciate a team like Brown playing so hard down the stretch despite an excruciating start to the season.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:07 pm
IvyBrown wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:31 pm Goal should always be National Champions. If you dont start there you will never get there as a goal.
Understand that thinking but healthiest is to have multiple goals. Binary all or nothing approaches tend to lead to other distortions that impact execution.

I always like the approach ascribed to Coach K of breaking the game downs. Win the next two minutes. Ok now win this next two minutes.
A motocross racer once told me: it's a race from corner to corner...
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Competitive 1st half, seems fortunate BG started off shooting low as #11 was on those. Bruno's #29 is shooting more than early in the year and that's a good thing, it seems like earlier he was passing up potential shots. Maybe just a function of a new guy feeling comfortable/gaining confidence. Need more from attack. Again. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”