coda wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:51 pm
Chousnake wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:22 pm
coda wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:38 pm
Chousnake wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:15 pm
coda wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:00 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:18 pm
Hooz123 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:50 am
Finster wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:52 am
faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:19 pm Brandau would be a great player wherever he played.

The Ivies have taken a significant step up in the past decade in terms of athleticism and overall competitiveness. 5 Ivy teams are currently in the Top 20.
Matt Brandau is certainly making a case for himself. 9 points yesterday.

I still lean Shellenberger but Brandau is making this year an extremely competitive race. That said, for his last three games, each team has a defense capable of shutting down one offensive star: Hofstra, Albany, and Princeton. Yale ought to win all three, just not sure Brandau will put up huge numbers.
Princeton just lost to a 2-win team...Ivy league is mid this year.

Cornell just lost to the #1 team in D1 by all of a goal with 5 seconds left.

Care to revise your statement?
They also lost 20-9 to Penn State. I am guessing there someone in between those 2 games. In the end the Ivy has some serious offenses, but defensively they are not very good (apologies to Penn). They are like the old Big 12 in college football
I just watched Cornell come within a few bad bounces of beating high and mighty ND and you still want plant a flag this offense-defense thing? Yale and Cornell seem to have offenses that are so good, they can give up 15+ goals to anyone and still win the game. Despite your comment, I highly doubt you believe UVa and Cornell have comparable defenses

Virginia gave up 18 goals today to a team that scored 4 goals vs Syracuse. How do you explain that? This season changes from week to week and game to game.
It’s almost like you should watch the season and make statements based on all the games, instead of 1 weekend. UVA is 12th in the nation giving up 9.73 goal per and Cornell is in the 60s giving up over 13. If you want to hang your hat on UVa pulling a goalie every week, so be it. I happen to think that was more the exception, than the rule.

Seems you actually agree with my comment. Why else say they have offenses that can win, when they give uo 15 goals? That is what I said. Relying on winning shootouts come the tournament is really tough. Takes 1 good goalie performance and it’s a quick exit. That is what happened vs PSU.
Losing in the tournament because the opposing goalie stood on his head can happen to any team. A win is a win. There are no style points for winning 12-9 rather than 16-13. And you obviously agree with me when you point out that you shouldn't base a season on one game and use UVA today and Cornell vs PSU as examples. That PSU game is an outlier. Maybe UVA's loss today was just that as well.

Cornell lost three games by one goal - two in OT and 1 with 6.4 seconds left. Any of those games could have gone the other way. Cornell won two games by a goal - one in OT and one with a few seconds left. Those could have gone the other way too. All were against top 20 teams. That is the way this season is. Anybody in the top 15 can beat another top 15 team, whether you are talking about an ACC team, B10, Ivy or Big East. To constantly bang the ACC B10 drum like you do and base it solely on one side of the field is just misplaced and , based on the season so far, wrong.
You are just talking in circles. Let me know if you think Cornell or Yale has a good defense
So are you. I think Yale and Cornell are good teams and are in the mix with the other 10-12 top teams to be playing on Memorial Day weekend . Do you not agree?
I have continually said great offense and bad defenses. You talk about everything, but whether or not you think their defenses struggle.
Gobigred

Re: Tewaaraton Award 2024

Post by Gobigred »

I thought ND's defense "struggled" today. UVA's, too.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Gobigred wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:21 pm I thought ND's defense "struggled" today. UVA's, too.
They did. Cornell was consistently able to pick off poles and get Kirst / Long matched up on shorts, and ND was still inexplicably slow to go. Kirst was left on an island with shorties 3x at least.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

mdk01 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:05 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:20 pm
Finster wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:30 am
NYlax222 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:15 am Both excellent players, but i don't agree that leading the nation in PPG should be final arbiter, for the good reasons cited by other on this thread. And its no knock at all on Brandau to point out that quality of opponent should matter, and the Ivy teams not exactly known this year for elite defenses. Not knocking either player, just dont' think leading nation in points should determine the award.

There's 'leading the nation in PPG', then there's REALLY leading the nation in PPG. Brandau is so far out there, you have to consider the spread regardless of who they play.

And ftr, I still think Shellenberger deserves it and is likeliest to win (I just don't think Yale is going to get far enough in the tournament, if they even make it...and Brandau probably needs that to occur...if Yale did win the Natty, my gut tells me he'd in the Tewey rather easily, in spite of how great Shellenberger is)
If everything else held steady AND Yale made it Memorial Day weekend (I don't think they'd have to win it all, but he'd need to go out swinging), I think Brandau would be such a huge part of the reason for that degree of team success that it would be his. That's not likely, but remains possible. Even final 8 is possible. Just have to perform against top teams at similar level.

There's a bunch of winners who didn't make it to Memorial Day, multiple who didn't make it to the weekend.

And I'm a Shellenberger fan and would love to see it corrected; just does so much to make everyone better...but I love that he cares far more about the Championship than personal awards.
Brandau made quite a case for himself with a 20 point week. You make a good point about the need to reach the final 8. If he keeps up anything like this pace and Yale played MDW I think it's his.
Which is unlikely but still possible.
Finster

Post by Finster »

This all started when ‘Hoos’ (the poster) called the Ivies ‘mid’, ie: weak.

It’s obvious to anyone that the Ivies are anything but weak.
molo

Post by molo »

Quite obvious to this ACC fan that the Ivies are far from weak. The second best team in the ACC lost to a team that may of may not make the ILT. Another team that could make the ILT outplayed the third best team in the ACC, and the best team in the Ivy League beat the fourth—maybe third—best team in the ACC.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Odds are off the charts that Schnellenberger and O'Neill will both have professional careers far superior to Brandau, especially with the latter already lined up for a Wall Street job starting this summer. And there is every likelihood that the teams with the most five stars - UVA and Duke - are going to go further in the NCAA playoffs this year than the team with a lot of four stars and a bunch of hurt starters.

But if the Tewaarton is based on the player who has the best season, there is no doubt it is Brandau. He is the most unselfish seven point per game player this viewer has ever seen, playing within the system that the coach has created. Has drawn the opposing team's best pole for his entire career and has still smashed the records of Ben Reeves ... in less games. If you like lacrosse, watch this kid play and enjoy it. It is a subtle thing of beauty the way he manages the offensive end of the field.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Lax3 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:58 pm Odds are off the charts that Schnellenberger and O'Neill will both have professional careers far superior to Brandau, especially with the latter already lined up for a Wall Street job starting this summer. And there is every likelihood that the teams with the most five stars - UVA and Duke - are going to go further in the NCAA playoffs this year than the team with a lot of four stars and a bunch of hurt starters.

But if the Tewaarton is based on the player who has the best season, there is no doubt it is Brandau. He is the most unselfish seven point per game player this viewer has ever seen, playing within the system that the coach has created. Has drawn the opposing team's best pole for his entire career and has still smashed the records of Ben Reeves ... in less games. If you like lacrosse, watch this kid play and enjoy it. It is a subtle thing of beauty the way he manages the offensive end of the field.
It's been great to see Matt Brandau getting a lot of recognition this year. Just wanted to echo Lax3's point about the unselfishness (and not just through assists). Brandau had one of the best ground balls I can remember late in the game vs. Hofstra with Yale hanging on with a one goal lead at 13-12. On a rebounded Yale shot, Brandau kicked the ball out of the scrum towards the end line, sprinted to the end line to keep it in, then pivoted direction, dived, and won it from a Hofstra pole. Yale kept possession and ultimately scored the insurance goal in the win. When your offensive superstar leads by example like that, there's no wonder Yale has been so strong in ground balls this year.

Here's a link to video of the ground ball via Twitter: https://x.com/orfling/status/1780679384833098102
molo

Post by molo »

I earlier that the winner would be a member of a team that makes a deep run in the playoffs, in other words, O’Neill, Shellenberger, Pat Kavanagh, or the other big lefty who plays for the Ivy team that I think will give the farthest. I’m not sure how far Yale will go, but Brandau is so far ahead in points that it’s hard to think anyone will catch him. He’s in Thompson territory, and their teams didn’t make it to MDWE.
The pro comment is irrelevant to me. It goes to the best college player in a given year. Good luck to the young man and his team, and I’ll hold off on reviving that old Laxpower discussion, which always belonged on the politics thread anyway.
coda

Post by coda »

molo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:25 pm I earlier that the winner would be a member of a team that makes a deep run in the playoffs, in other words, O’Neill, Shellenberger, Pat Kavanagh, or the other big lefty who plays for the Ivy team that I think will give the farthest. I’m not sure how far Yale will go, but Brandau is so far ahead in points that it’s hard to think anyone will catch him. He’s in Thompson territory, and their teams didn’t make it to MDWE.
The pro comment is irrelevant to me. It goes to the best college player in a given year. Good luck to the young man and his team, and I’ll hold off on reviving that old Laxpower discussion, which always belonged on the politics thread anyway.
Honestly, I would love to see it go to Pisano.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:26 pm
molo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:25 pm I earlier that the winner would be a member of a team that makes a deep run in the playoffs, in other words, O’Neill, Shellenberger, Pat Kavanagh, or the other big lefty who plays for the Ivy team that I think will give the farthest. I’m not sure how far Yale will go, but Brandau is so far ahead in points that it’s hard to think anyone will catch him. He’s in Thompson territory, and their teams didn’t make it to MDWE.
Honestly, I would love to see it go to Pisano.
I understand the sentiment but given that Albany roster does have some talent and an experienced successful coach I feel like realistically a LSM winning the T from anyone should be clear that they’re f”ed with out the guy/. I’ve seen Albany this year. I feel like Marr is getting complacent and his time is over in the spotlight though like many long tenured good coaches sunsetting I bet he has one more run. All this being said albanys performance this year considering the overall team talent and coaching doesn’t suggest his play has been so profoundly impactful and elite as to deserve to be the first or a unique off the run winner of the award
I think the kid is excellent and this isn’t criticism just a reality check. Last year everyone was talking about Checo at Lehigh. Realistically the last LSM I thought deserved it was formally listed as a defenseman but I recall him playing Ont enter side of the field on par with a LSM was Brian Karalunas at Nova. They had talent around him but he was the difference between left and afterthought when he was there.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
molo

Post by molo »

I would, too, and that’s why I’m looking forward to seeing him versus Brandau. I just don’t think it’s going to a defenseman on a team that’s not having a great season. I guess his best position is LSM, but against UVA Ct he took face-off wings but covered Shellenberger. I assume he always covers the opposite team’s best player but is so good on gbs and has such a smooth stick that he runs a lot of lsm. Takes me back to hs coaching when my best defenseman was too good on gbs not to run both pole and close.
coda

Post by coda »

molo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:16 pm I would, too, and that’s why I’m looking forward to seeing him versus Brandau. I just don’t think it’s going to a defenseman on a team that’s not having a great season. I guess his best position is LSM, but against UVA Ct he took face-off wings but covered Shellenberger. I assume he always covers the opposite team’s best player but is so good on gbs and has such a smooth stick that he runs a lot of lsm. Takes me back to hs coaching when my best defenseman was too good on gbs not to run both pole and close.
He is just a great watch. Good cover guy, GBs, great in transition. It won’t happen. Twaaraton is basically the Heisman, just replace QB with attackman
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

coda wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:23 pm
molo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:16 pm I would, too, and that’s why I’m looking forward to seeing him versus Brandau. I just don’t think it’s going to a defenseman on a team that’s not having a great season. I guess his best position is LSM, but against UVA Ct he took face-off wings but covered Shellenberger. I assume he always covers the opposite team’s best player but is so good on gbs and has such a smooth stick that he runs a lot of lsm. Takes me back to hs coaching when my best defenseman was too good on gbs not to run both pole and close.
He is just a great watch. Good cover guy, GBs, great in transition. It won’t happen. Twaaraton is basically the Heisman, just replace QB with attackman
The off the run guy who in reality should’ve won it was Josh Hawkins
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

And I hear you and agree-Bart played them this year so I saw him with intention.

There’s another way to deal with this than perpetually complain about it being an A award of course. If we who all talk and complain focused on other awards and made
It known a that we collectively value other awards the market would hear that faster than them changing their mind as to approach on the T.
See Martin, Malcolm
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah but the one time he is a little tired and step behind will kill you. I’m sure you are a better coaching mind than me but I’d think I’d prefer taking a nasty atheltic middle and giving him a pole
See Martin, Malcolm
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:31 pm
And I hear you and agree-Bart played them this year so I saw him with intention.

There’s another way to deal with this than perpetually complain about it being an A award of course. If we who all talk and complain focused on other awards and made
It known a that we collectively value other awards the market would hear that faster than them changing their mind as to approach on the T.
when was the last schmiesser award thread started on fanlax?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:55 pm

If you care enough you could start one. People often talk and then spend their money in different ways. I’m just suggesting that it might be more effective to work to elevate something else rather than have this same commentary for what, 10. 20, 40 years? (Realize award is < 25yrs old my point is more why not do a comparative “buy/build” analysis)
See Martin, Malcolm
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:11 pm

If you care enough you could start one. People often talk and then spend their money in different ways. I’m just suggesting that it might be more effective to work to elevate something else rather than have this same commentary for what, 10. 20, 40 years? (Realize award is < 25yrs old my point is more why not do a comparative “buy/build” analysis)
yes, i was agreeing with you.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:13 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:11 pm

yes, i was agreeing with you.
Ahh sorry though you were telling me to do it as if it was my obligation. My bad
See Martin, Malcolm

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”