Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by faircornell »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:34 am
faircornell wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:38 am To the point immediately above, "Blatant Lacrosse" (I'm not sure who that is) published an early bracketology that assumed Yale won the ILT, and their bracket did not include Cornell. I wonder how likely the Red are to be excluded if they win out in the regular season, but don't win the ILT.
VERY LIKELY,
The CHC(and I know 77) hates me using that acronym, but their is precedent as someone alluded to 2012, and of course the most blatant ommission in 2019.

Obviously, Syracuse, even though we beat them would be chosen ahead of Cornell as their metrics (SOS, RPI) is better than us, and if both Yale and Cornell do NOT win the IVY AQ, then Yale (who we also beat) would be chosen over Cornell as they have a higher RPI.

Right now, sadly, unless we get the IVY AQ, we are out.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Thanks CU77 and JoeWillie! Grim outlook for sure. I think that Cornell is well positioned for the first round of the ILT, but facing Penn, Princeton or Yale are all "coin flips" in terms of walking away with a win. Being at home would certainly help.

Not to dwell on misspent youth, but when I saw "CHC", I thought that it might have something to do with the Chapter House or the Continuous Reunion Club (CRC).
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Depends on Georgetown.
Ivies could still get two at large.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:53 am Depends on Georgetown.
Ivies could still get two at large.
Yes, but if the ILT winner is Penn or Princeton, would Cornell be chosen over Yale for the second? Dicey.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

faircornell wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:26 am
faircornell wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:38 am To the point immediately above, "Blatant Lacrosse" (I'm not sure who that is) published an early bracketology that assumed Yale won the ILT, and their bracket did not include Cornell. I wonder how likely the Red are to be excluded if they win out in the regular season, but don't win the ILT.
VERY LIKELY,
The CHC(and I know 77) hates me using that acronym, but their is precedent as someone alluded to 2012, and of course the most blatant ommission in 2019.

Obviously, Syracuse, even though we beat them would be chosen ahead of Cornell as their metrics (SOS, RPI) is better than us, and if both Yale and Cornell do NOT win the IVY AQ, then Yale (who we also beat) would be chosen over Cornell as they have a higher RPI.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Thanks CU77 and JoeWillie! Grim outlook for sure. I think that Cornell is well positioned for the first round of the ILT, but facing Penn, Princeton or Yale are all "coin flips" in terms of walking away with a win. Being at home would certainly help.

Not to dwell on misspent youth, but when I saw "CHC", I thought that it might have something to do with the Chapter House or the Continuous Reunion Club (CRC).
We absolutely need to get home field as their is such a discrepancy in our record at and away from Schoellkopf.

I'm not saying they are a "bad" road team but good things seem to happen at the Kopf, and bad things seem to happen when away.

Either way, I know this team will play hard to the bitter end, and as a fan, that's all I can ask.

In my opinion, they have already had a great season, the games, besides PSU, have been so much fun, and they have played the best teams in the country to basically a draw.

The season may not end like we want it to, but all we can ask for is to have a shot, and we certainly still have that.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:33 am
VERY LIKELY,

Gobigred
Joewillie78

We absolutely need to get home field as their is such a discrepancy in our record at and away from Schoellkopf.

I'm not saying they are a "bad" road team but good things seem to happen at the Kopf, and bad things seem to happen when away.

Either way, I know this team will play hard to the bitter end, and as a fan, that's all I can ask.

In my opinion, they have already had a great season, the games, besides PSU, have been so much fun, and they have played the best teams in the country to basically a draw.

The season may not end like we want it to, but all we can ask for is to have a shot, and we certainly still have that.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Agreed on the "great season". A lot to have enjoyed and be really positive about.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

I sometimes suspect the selection committee leans toward teams with big stars on them with an eye toward growing the popularity of the sport. Yale has Brandau and Cornell has Kirst and also Ryan Goldstein is a story in itself with his genetic pedigree, Tim and Tina. Mikey Long is also keeping up a torrid pace. The Big Red has a good enough SOS & RPI to be a strong candidate for an at large bid. In my opinion, beating Harvard & Dartmouth & winning a first round game in the ILT ought to be good enough. Any other scenario short of winning the IVY AQ may put Cornell on the bubble.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

VERY LIKELY,

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Do you think this discrepancy is driven by location more than match up? Seems like the games they’ve lost on the road are against some of the tougher opponents on their schedule, but I’m not as close to it as you are.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

BigTurn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:42 am
VERY LIKELY,

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Do you think this discrepancy is driven by location more than match up? Seems like the games they’ve lost on the road are against some of the tougher opponents on their schedule, but I’m not as close to it as you are.
Yes, they beat Yale at home when Yale was #1 RPI, and they beat Syracuse at home when the Cuse was #3 in the country.

They lost by 1 in OT to Penn that most certainly could have been a W at the Kopf, as could have been that loss with all the penalties at Denver.

This past game was a neutral site, and given, again it was a 1 goal game, another possible W had it been at home.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:28 pm
BigTurn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:42 am
VERY LIKELY,

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Yes, they beat Yale at home when Yale was #1 RPI, and they beat Syracuse at home when the Cuse was #3 in the country.

They lost by 1 in OT to Penn that most certainly could have been a W at the Kopf, as could have been that loss with all the penalties at Denver.

This past game was a neutral site, and given, again it was a 1 goal game, another possible W had it been at home.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Again, will defer to you on all things Big Red, but would say you don’t really know how good a win or loss is until seasons end. Dont think Yale or Cuse will be looked at as top 5 wins come late May, but just my 2 cents.
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:06 pm I had the good fortune to be at the game today. It would be great if Cornell could play a game on LI every season. Just a great atmosphere before the game in the parking lot and in a standing room only stadium. The stands were packed and there were spectators on the grass behind both goals.

Just a heart breaking loss today. I too feared a blow out coming into this game. One thing I can say is that I don't think there is a team that has more grit and heart than Cornell. Early on, ND looked bigger, faster, and stronger. When it was 6-2, I thought it might be a long afternoon, but I commented that "we had right where want them." I was joking, but it was somewhat prophetic. It looked difficult at halftime down 11-7 too.

I don't know what Buczek does at halftime, but this team always seems to play much better in the second half. Cornell played a tremendous 3rd quarter and it was back and forth in the 4th quarter.

The attack was outstanding today. I challenge anybody to make a case how this is not the best attack unit in college lax after today. 21 points from Kirst, Long, and Goldstein. Kudos to Psyllos. He is just incredibly gritty and keyed the 3rd quarter comeback, particularly on a day when they faced a a ND team that clears exceptionally well. The extra possessions just were not coming from the ride, so a 50% face off win rate was essential. Knust was great as well.

Kelleher, First, and Wirtheim were on their games as well. The defense played better than the score would indicate.

The last two minutes were just an unfortunate way to end such a great game. First, the missed call on the clear push with possession when Singer picked up the loose ball with 1:30 left was baffling. He picked up the ground ball and took two steps and was shoved to the ground. I don't care if it's the first minute or last, that is a penalty. At minimum, call a loose ball push and give Cornell the ball.

The wrap check on Goldstein with 40 seconds left was just unfortunate. I think he passed up the pass to the player streaking up field because it was Box. Still, the pass was probably the play there. The range of emotions on that sequence went from frustration over the no call to elation with the ND turnover to despair . Then Kavanaugh throws an errant pass with 8 seconds left and the ground ball somehow ends up in a ND stick.

It is clear to me that the teams in the top 10-15 can each beat the other. They are all evenly matched. Any claim that one team is clearly better than another is pure garbage. There is real parity this season and the tournament is wide open. No team or conference is dominant . Not even close.

Again, what a great coaching job by Buczek and Stevens today. Nothing to be ashamed of. Just disappointment that things did not bounce their way and frustration at the non-call at a crucial point in the game.
The wrap check on Goldstein was more than unfortunate - it was game changing. There is a serious mis-match in size/speed between him and Faison. The play was to pass the ball to the open guy up field right away, regardless of who that guy is. If I remember correctly, Cornell still had a time-out. Passing ahead gets the ball closer to the RL when Cornell can call the TO. Turning the ball over that close to the midfield line is almost always disastrous. Goldstein will learn from that.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

I'm sure he will. That is a very common freshman mistake, even for someone as talented as Goldstein. These players are so used to being able to carry the ball in high school that getting them to hit the open man immediately isn't always the first instinct, especially on non-scoring plays like that one. I notice it frequently in freshmen LSM's clearing the ball who don't realize how quickly gaps can close and how fleeting the window to hit that open man really is.
SkunkApe

Post by SkunkApe »

Goldstein has steadily improved since his debut at Princeton. Seeing the field better, less forced feeds and starting to finish more consistently. While missing the pass upfield was painful, it may prove to be a valuable lesson to him over rest of his time at Cornell. Look out for another step forward by Goldstein this weekend. Time to get dialed in for Harvard!

LGR
molo

Post by molo »

As someone who follows the ACC closely—there is a highly regarded freshman attackman on my favorite teams and the best player on the weakest ACC team is a freshman—I’m not sure there’s a freshman attackman in the ACC that I would trade for Goldstein. He’s fundamentally sound, he doesn’t hog the ball, and he doesn’t showboat.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

molo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:16 pm As someone who follows the ACC closely—there is a highly regarded freshman attackman on my favorite teams and the best player on the weakest ACC team is a freshman—I’m not sure there’s a freshman attackman in the ACC that I would trade for Goldstein. He’s fundamentally sound, he doesn’t hog the ball, and he doesn’t showboat.
Not taking anything away from Goldstein, but I can think of a few freshmen ACC attackers that I'd take before him ;)
coda

Post by coda »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:08 pm
molo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:16 pm As someone who follows the ACC closely—there is a highly regarded freshman attackman on my favorite teams and the best player on the weakest ACC team is a freshman—I’m not sure there’s a freshman attackman in the ACC that I would trade for Goldstein. He’s fundamentally sound, he doesn’t hog the ball, and he doesn’t showboat.
Not taking anything away from Goldstein, but I can think of a few freshmen ACC attackers that I'd take before him ;)
Without a doubt. I think Duffy is the easy #1 choice as a Freshmen attack. #1 reason is he gets the #1 pole and the offense is on his back. He is doing OK, plenty to critique, but he is in a terrible situation. Lot of the Freshman that are doing well are in very good situations and have limited pressure on them. You really can only guess how they will fare, when they have to shoulder the load on offense.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

coda wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:17 pm
Without a doubt. I think Duffy is the easy #1 choice as a Freshmen attack. #1 reason is he gets the #1 pole and the offense is on his back. He is doing OK, plenty to critique, but he is in a terrible situation. Lot of the Freshman that are doing well are in very good situations and have limited pressure on them. You really can only guess how they will fare, when they have to shoulder the load on offense.
There's plenty of doubt. According to Massey, UNC has an SOS of 21 while Cornell's is 3. Against easier competition, Duffy is averaging 4.5 PPG. Meanwhile, against significantly tougher competition and with two attack teammates averaging 5.19 (Long) and 4.91 (Kirst) PPG, Ryan Goldstein is averaging 4.17 PPG. I wouldn't trade Ryan for anyone. I note that the Big Red attack is averaging 14.27 PPG, only about 1 point less than the historic French, Levine, McEneaney trio. Impressive although the latter rarely played more than 2 1/2 quarters.
coda

Post by coda »

laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:53 pm
There's plenty of doubt. According to Massey, UNC has an SOS of 21 while Cornell's is 3. Against easier competition, Duffy is averaging 4.5 PPG. Meanwhile, against significantly tougher competition and with two attack teammates averaging 5.19 (Long) and 4.91 (Kirst) PPG, Ryan Goldstein is averaging 4.17 PPG. I wouldn't trade Ryan for anyone. I note that the Big Red attack is averaging 14.27 PPG, only about 1 point less than the historic French, Levine, McEneaney trio. Impressive although the latter rarely played more than 2 1/2 quarters.
SOS talk is a bit misleading. SOS does not correlate always to great defense. Goldstein is getting the 3rd pole and he is asked to be a cog in the machine. He is still has 11 turnovers in 5 starts. That is tied for 2nd on the Cornell team. Imagine the turnover numbers, if he was asked to QB the offense and get a #1 pole. If I go back a few pages I bet I can find some posts talking about how great Firth is also.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Firth is a great player,
there's no doubt.

Goldstein has improved his game from the old Radnor days, for lack of better phrasing, by many multiples.
coda

Post by coda »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:01 pm Firth is a great player,
there's no doubt.

Goldstein has improved his game from the old Radnor days, for lack of better phrasing, by many multiples.
Yes. I saw him last year at Salisbury and he really struggled. Was covered by Q Kilrain though, so makes more sense now.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

coda wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:12 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:53 pm
SOS talk is a bit misleading. SOS does not correlate always to great defense. Goldstein is getting the 3rd pole and he is asked to be a cog in the machine. He is still has 11 turnovers in 5 starts. That is tied for 2nd on the Cornell team. Imagine the turnover numbers, if he was asked to QB the offense and get a #1 pole. If I go back a few pages I bet I can find some posts talking about how great Firth is also.
In twice as many games (12 vs 6) Duffy has 3 times as many turnovers (33 vs 11). Ryan boasts a 50% shot % while Duffy's is 25%. Ryan has 8 GBs in 6 games. Duffy 14 in 12 games. I'll keep Ryan.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”