Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Red4Life

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by Red4Life »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:52 pm Goldstein should have made that pass to the wide open man.
I’ll take the 98% great playing #30 has brought to the big red offense for an occasional missed passing oppty - kid is non stop hustle / rides hard / for frosh - amazingly strong lax IQ -(admittedly had some strong lax influence with dad and uncle) - what a great great lacrosse game today
On to the masters !!

Let’s go red!!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Cornell now #10 RPI, #3 SOS.

Pretty good but probably not good enough for the CHC.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Finster

Post by Finster »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:57 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:47 pm That was a push.
You can’t be serious? Cornell got all the calls. Typical NY homer Long Island nonsense

Notre Dame is heavy on Long Island recruits.

https://fightingirish.com/sports/mlax/roster/
Finster

Post by Finster »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:15 pm Cornell now #10 RPI, #3 SOS.

Gobigred
Joewillie78

JoeWillie, I had many friends in the stands today. We were all pulling for Cornell. If nothing else, I doubt any team wants to see them again this year. Yale and Cornell deserve to make the NCAA Tournament.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Finster wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:17 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:15 pm Cornell now #10 RPI, #3 SOS.

Gobigred
Joewillie78

JoeWillie, I had many friends in the stands today. We were all pulling for Cornell. If nothing else, I doubt any team wants to see them again this year. Yale and Cornell deserve to make the NCAA Tournament.
Thanks Fin.
Just hoping they can win ILT and not leave it to the committee.

We shall see.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
mfp

Post by mfp »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:56 pm Congrats to both teams for putting on an absolute show for all lacrosse fans.

The stars definitely were out today with the likes of Kirst, Long, the Kavanaughs etc.

Classic game where neither team deserved to lose.

As for Cornell, as I said before, the IVY LEAGUE is their ticket to the big dance.

Win the Ivies and host, is always the goal.

Obviously, the Big Red can play with anyone but the only way to guarantee that and avoid the CHC (Cornell Hating Committee) is win the ILT.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Good, sound reaction, Joewillie78. Were there a few missed/bad calls? Sure. Going both ways. Were there a few plays where players could have made better/different decisions and/or executed better? Of course. But, all in all, it was a great, fun, entertaining game that was well played. Both goalies had mediocre save % but I don’t blame them—those two offenses are very good. Likewise, I don’t think Cornell’s defense was terrible—some mistakes as mentioned earlier—but Notre Dame has a ton of talent and resilience.

And don’t forget that we Cornell fans look at the game through red-colored glasses. Should Goldstein have passed at the end? In hindsight, yes. From the other point of view, what a tremendous play by Faison to cause that turnover.

A different bounce on a few loose balls (like the one at the very end that led to the winning goal) and Cornell comes away with a “W”.

Great game to the Cornell team. Hope to see Notre Dame again this season!
Pork42

Post by Pork42 »

I love how Cornell plays. Heart Hussle ect they press hard on D and seem to find that extra gear. What's in the water in upstate NY?
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Cornell is v good ! Top 5 and FF4 possibility
molo

Post by molo »

Superb attack and first midfield. Gave the number one team all they could handle.
molo

Post by molo »

Superb attack and first midfield. Gave the number one team all they could handle.
molo

Post by molo »

CU77

Post by CU77 »

Great game. Would have been great to get the win (duh!), but beforehand I was more worried about a blowout loss, which clearly didn't happen. The Red were competitive throughout. #3 in particular elevated his game to a new high, a worthy wearer of that number.
joewillie78 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:15 pm probably not good enough for the CHC [Cornell Hating Committee]
OK, I just gotta say, this "CHC" stuff is silly. It was true up through 2008, when it was a function of the official selection criteria. Those changed in 2009 (because the NCAA finally recognized that the old criteria were stooopid). I have been following the sport and mulitple ranking systems closely for all those years, and I am here to say that the Committee's selections and seedings have been, in every single year starting in 2009, defensible. They have not exhibited any notable bias towards particular teams or conferences. We have seen non-traditional teams like OSU get a #3 seed, Marquette get a #6 seed. Two years ago, 6 of 7 Ivies were selected, 5 given seeds, with only one ACC team selected, and not given a seed.

This is not to say that the Committee's process is consistent from year to year; it pretty clearly is not. But that's what happens when you don't have a single formula. And no single formula is perfect or even close to perfect. So you either use a formula (as hockey does), or inject randomness from 5 assistant ADs who never took a statistics class, and will weight things like head-to-head resuls differently from year to year.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

77 ,
I always respect your views, BUT ever since 2019, when we beat ND at ND, and we had very similar resumes, and they chose ND and left Cornell out, I will never trust the CHC again.

That's why, even though we lost today, and it's tough, BUT the more important game is Saturday against Harvard, and winning the ILT to take it out of the committee's hands.

Sorry but that's just the way I feel.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Thank God for frequent flier miles, as I made the long trip north to watch a terrific game. I don't believe in what I'll coin as "pyrric defeats," but this team is certainly resilient. Down 4 a few times at risk of separation and they come right out of the box at half and outplay ND.
-No comment from me on officiating as I believe that typically, losers do the complaining. I've noticed for a few weeks now that the refs seem to be swollowing their whistles; far less penalties in Cornell's last few games including one where none were called. Yes, they missed the blatant push from behind (which resulted in loss of possession no less), but Cornell miseed a few chances to go two up, but never did. The tying goal hurt - within 6 seconds coming out of a timeout. And then on the last possessio, when Cornell forces the ball on the ground with two Cornell players seemingly closest and about 8 seconds left I said, great, we're going to OT. Ball goes right to the wrong stick and one pass later it's over.
A few Misc. thoughts...
-A very physical game; everyone on the field was all-in. As we've come to expect, Psyllos was exemplary - he took 11 straight FOs in the first before Petrakis came on, and all FOs in the 2nd half. With a heavily taped hammie, courtesy of last week.
Offense
-1st line was exceptional; in the 4th, Wirtheim kept running by has man causung ND to rotate, enabling Kelleher to free up for step-ins at least 3 times toward the end.
-Really surprised how effective we were in getting shorties on our attackmen who feasted; ND didn't seem able to prevent this.
-1st line mids logged a ton of minutes, an excellent day
Defense
-IMO, we simply had some bad short-stick matchups on NDs 1st line. For example, I didn't like a small Box on #8 who lookd about 6'4", can run, and really shoot it as an effective dodger. No Blake on him?
Other
-I thought on whole, given the opponent, Cornell had a prety good day clearing.
-ND's wings are very good and had a big edge there.
-Knust - 18 goals or not, IMO, he was terrific. He's a big time shot stopper.
***I'm convinced the Ivies will only get 2 to the NCAAs, an AQ and one at-large. If Cornell doesn't win the AQ, we need Yale to. Regardless, despite today's great effort, the boys almost HAVE to beat Harvard to make the NCAAs, unless they win the AQ. "Close" loses mean nothing to the Selection Committee. The coaches and players need to regroup and rise to the occassion next Saturday against a very credible team.
LGR
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:51 pm 77 ,
I always respect your views, BUT ever since 2019, when we beat ND at ND, and we had very similar resumes, and they chose ND and left Cornell out, I will never trust the CHC again.

That's why, even though we lost today, and it's tough, BUT the more important game is Saturday against Harvard, and winning the ILT to take it out of the committee's hands.

Sorry but that's just the way I feel.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
ND was not who edged Cornell out in ‘19. It was 8-8 Hopkins who only got in off of back to back wins over Maryland.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

One question on rules, which may have changed in the last year or two.
On Cornell last (brief) possession, when I think it was Dooley who made an excellent play getting the ball to Goldstein. I was expecting Coach B to call time out since Goldstein was under duress, though by an o-mid, not a pole. Is the team in posession not allowed to call a time out there, or does the ball first have to cross what used to be called "the attack zone?"
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:02 pm One question on rules, which may have changed in the last year or two.
On Cornell last (brief) possession, when I think it was Dooley who made an excellent play getting the ball to Goldstein. I was expecting Coach B to call time out since Goldstein was under duress, though by an o-mid, not a pole. Is the team in posession not allowed to call a time out there, or does the ball first have to cross what used to be called "the attack zone?"
Correct. Can only call a time out past your offensive restraining line.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

BigTurn wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:08 pm
VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:02 pm One question on rules, which may have changed in the last year or two.
Correct. Can only call a time out past your offensive restraining line. Similar situation where Entenmann had to run it all the way down to the box.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:02 pm …Dooley who made an excellent play getting the ball to Goldstein…
Dooley has been making key end of game plays.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Cornell fans -- what a great game. I am sure you are proud of your team for the tremendous effort on a national stage. I'm only sad the Big Red didn't get the win. So many great plays and players; I did catch myself thinking that if the Ivy League had an "11th player award" or "grittiest player award" Marc Psyllos should get it; what an absolute warrior that guy is.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”