D1 Men NCAA Tournament

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: D1 Men NCAA Tournament

Post by wgdsr »

Badlands wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 4:25 pm Even more of a joke call in UVA’s favor than the non-call on the obvious double dribble in the basketball tournament.
you mean the one after tt was intentionally fouling?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

10stone5 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:45 pm Please, though, no replay.
Just work with the refs more on how to distinguish a goal versus not a goal.
not sure any training is gonna help that guy. he must've had a full year of physics at some point, and it didn't sink in.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ugh. awful push call on nd.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

This. There is no physical process that could allow the ball to cross the plane, and then bounce out at the height of the crossbar and traveling straight out. My guess (and Quint's) is that the ref was fooled by the net fluttering (from the impact on the crossbar). But a goal simply cannot be scored with the ball traveling along that particular trajectory. (So sez this fan, who happens to have a PhD in physics.)
My D was a philosophy major and even she said, 'there is no way a ball can bounce that far out by hitting net'.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Big Dog wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:54 pm
This. There is no physical process that could allow the ball to cross the plane, and then bounce out at the height of the crossbar and traveling straight out. My guess (and Quint's) is that the ref was fooled by the net fluttering (from the impact on the crossbar). But a goal simply cannot be scored with the ball traveling along that particular trajectory. (So sez this fan, who happens to have a PhD in physics.)
My D was a philosophy major and even she said, 'there is no way a ball can bounce that far out by hitting net'.
Actually, it bounced downward with the first bounce just beyond UMD's #42's feet. This could have been from hitting tight net, but I don't think so. The net would have needed to have been extremely tight to have bounced with as much momentum that it rolled as far as it did. But not impossible.

I actually thought an earlier shot hit net and bounced out, but it was called a pipe.

When they slowed it down, it sure as heck looks to be pipe, not net, was what was hit. I'd like an enhanced close up view in order to be 100% sure, but sure looks close to 100%. If it hit any pipe, the physics make it impossible to bounce away from the goal mouth, yet have half the ball fully cross the line.
It aint over yet

Post by It aint over yet »

Attendance numbers for today’s game ? Anyone? Bueller Bueller !
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:21 pm I'd like an enhanced close up view in order to be 100% sure, but sure looks close to 100%. If it hit any pipe, the physics make it impossible to bounce away from the goal mouth, yet have half the ball fully cross the line.
ummm... the entire ball.needs to cross the line. which means past any pipe also.
and ya don't need to see enhanced. it hit the pipe. 100%.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:29 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:21 pm I'd like an enhanced close up view in order to be 100% sure, but sure looks close to 100%. If it hit any pipe, the physics make it impossible to bounce away from the goal mouth, yet have half the ball fully cross the line.
ummm... the entire ball.needs to cross the line. which means past any pipe also.
and ya don't need to see enhanced. it hit the pipe. 100%.
Ohhh, I quite agree. I'm saying that the ball goes into the net, if the ball is even half way over the line...that's just the physics. So, IF it hit pipe, it definitely didn't even go half past the center of the pipe. Otherwise it ends up in the net.

And, sure, I too think it hit pipe. 99+% sure.

I'd just like a more enhanced view to reach 100% certainty. On TV, from that distance and the speed of the replay, it's extremely difficult to reach 100%...slow it down, get it closer, I think there'd be zippo doubt. And I'm already at 99+% !

I also didn't hear a pipe ping from the broadcast, though I don't know that they pick that up every time...

In other words, the only way that's a goal is no pipe was hit, just tight net.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

There was one angle that looked like it could have been in and I guess if the official had that exact same look he could think he was certain but that's an awful lot of ifs. That being said, not sure it changed the outcome
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

It aint over yet wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:24 pm Attendance numbers for today’s game ? Anyone? Bueller Bueller !
From Patrick Steven’s twitter

Announced crowd today of 8,017. Of the 47 predetermined quarterfinal sites since 1996, this was the 29th largest crowd of the bunch.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

AreaLax wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:41 pm
It aint over yet wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:24 pm Attendance numbers for today’s game ? Anyone? Bueller Bueller !

Announced crowd today of 8,017. Of the 47 predetermined quarterfinal sites since 1996, this was the 29th largest crowd of the bunch.
For those 4 teams at Hofstra, on a beautiful day is not a good sign
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

flyerfan17 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:51 pm

Kind of makes you wonder what the attendance would have been at a true "southern" location for the teams that played today and having the Sunday teams play at Hofstra instead. Might have been better. Might not. Same thing happened in '99 with the "southern" QFs played at Princeton.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

Chuckman wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:42 pm
random observer wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:31 pm
b1w7o9y7h wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:29 pm Or karma evening out things? The clear foot on the crease should have negated a first half Maryland goal (if there was instant replay). And the clear pipe non-goal should have not counted (if there was instant replay). Net result - each team got a goal that should not have counted. Am I not seeing that right?
Bingo. Announcers were right that the UVA goal call was more inexcusable, but ultimately there is no difference. Each team got a goal that they shouldn't have. Slate is clean.
No. VA was offsides on one of their first half goals.. So two for VA and One for MD.

Frankly the offside and foot in the crease were nothing compared to the horrendous call at end. Should never have been called , or at least talked over with some discussion. Just the place ball bounced to should have given refs some doubt.
Oh well. It’s over. It’s done. Virginia headed to Philly. Conrad should be 1st Team AA. Tillman lost this game.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Actually Terps should likely not even be here, on that dive last week his foot was also on the crease just before he went airborne.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

HowieT3 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:59 pm
flyerfan17 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:51 pm

Kind of makes you wonder what the attendance would have been at a true "southern" location for the teams that played today and having the Sunday teams play at Hofstra instead. Might have been better. Might not. Same thing happened in '99 with the "southern" QFs played at Princeton.
Really stupid to hold this game a few miles from the PGA Championship. It's a cool location, but Hofstra shouldn't have bid on this one.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

rasheed wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:47 pm
b1w7o9y7h wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:29 pm Or karma evening out things? The clear foot on the crease should have negated a first half Maryland goal (if there was instant replay). And the clear pipe non-goal should have not counted (if there was instant replay). Net result - each team got a goal that should not have counted. Am I not seeing that right?
Bingo. Announcers were right that the UVA goal call was more inexcusable, but ultimately there is no difference. Each team got a goal that they shouldn't have. Slate is clean.
No. VA was offsides on one of their first half goals.. So two for VA and One for MD.

Frankly the offside and foot in the crease were nothing compared to the horrendous call at end. Should never have been called , or at least talked over with some discussion. Just the place ball bounced to should have given refs some doubt.
Oh well. It’s over. It’s done. Virginia headed to Philly. Conrad should be 1st Team AA. Tillman lost this game.
UVA crossbar goal.

The ball rocked off the crossbar and went out of bounds near midfield, yes the net moved a little. There is no way a ball that crosses the line goes that far off the bounce. On TV it was a no brainer, live it should have been brainer. Absolutely the worst call I have ever seen in 40 years of watching the game.
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

xxxxxxx wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:30 pm
rasheed wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:47 pm

UVA crossbar goal.

The ball rocked off the crossbar and went out of bounds near midfield, yes the net moved a little. There is no way a ball that crosses the line goes that far off the bounce. On TV it was a no brainer, live it should have been brainer. Absolutely the worst call I have ever seen in 40 years of watching the game.
agreed - anyone going to Philly for the final four should check out dirty franks - one of my https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/zm9w ... ove-dives in the country...
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

agreed - anyone going to Philly for the final four should check out dirty franks - one of my https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/zm9w ... ove-dives in the country...
[/quote]

Ah yes. Philly is one of the country’s great cities and Franks is one of its great bars. I lived a few blocks from there for 4 years and always enjoyed the extremely eclectic clientele. Outside of a place in old city where you could get a six pack of PBR tall boys, in the cans, at the bar for 5 dollars, Frank’s might have been my Philly favorite. For outstanding, upscale Mexican in a great environment, try Tequillas. And for extraordinary Cuban in a dream setting, you have two options, Cuba Libre Ana Alma de Cuba, get a reservation and go to one of those places.
laxguru123

Post by laxguru123 »

Can Notre Dame just get an average goalie? Please

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”