Eclipse - fact or fiction

General Chatter
ardilla secreta

Eclipse - fact or fiction

Post by ardilla secreta »

Did nobody find the Eclipse 24 worth experiencing.

I went to the Eclipse 17 in Nebraska and that was interesting though only a partial. I could stay home this time and see the total eclipse. Incredible experience to see. The total darkness happened so fast. Too cool.
IMG_7370.jpeg
IMG_7370.jpeg (119.17 KiB) Viewed 124 times
IMG_7388.jpeg
IMG_7388.jpeg (75.1 KiB) Viewed 124 times
IMG_7387.jpeg
IMG_7387.jpeg (64.33 KiB) Viewed 124 times
youthathletics

Re: Eclipse - fact or fiction

Post by youthathletics »

Very cool.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
richard

Post by richard »

First experience was in 1969. I was taking SAT test at Gilman and walked outside afterwards to the strangest light I’d ever seen. This weekend we went to Boonville NY in the total area. The temperature dropped at least 10 degrees in 3 minutes and the darkness came in really quickly. We had heavy cloud cover during the totality so that added to the darkness. It was some eerie stuff.

Had cocktails too.
molo

Post by molo »

I didn’t notice anything special in Baltimore although I talked to someone who said it was quite an experience. We live in the same zip code. It was not noticeable to me at all,
tech37

Post by tech37 »

richard wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:46 pm First experience was in 1969. I was taking SAT test at Gilman and walked outside afterwards to the strangest light I’d ever seen. This weekend we went to Boonville NY in the total area. The temperature dropped at least 10 degrees in 3 minutes and the darkness came in really quickly. We had heavy cloud cover during the totality so that added to the darkness. It was some eerie stuff.

Had cocktails too.
Pretty neat... I wasn't expecting the change in temperature, the biggest surprise IMHO. We found ourselves with a group of about 50-60 people, a few dogs, and many spring peepers chattering in a pond not too far away, taking it in from a high point overlooking Lake George (95% totality). A few people put on jackets as temp dropped, the dogs seemed completely unfazed and the peepers didn't miss a beat before, during, or after eclipse.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I wasn't too thrilled with the whole eclipse happening from the very beginning. If there's anything we don't need here in the Cuse it's more gray and dark, and it has been a particularly gray winter with few days of sunlight....depressing overcast and gray for way too long stretches this year. Initially the forecast for Monday was sunny and warm in the mid 60s, and this area was said to be a pretty much perfect place to view the phenomenon. Of course it didn't turn out to be that way as there was cloud coverage but the temp was a nice 60+ degrees. I would have been on the porch of the Cobblestone eclipse or not as it's Monday and Alicia is on (wasn't there last Monday :( ...that was the look on everyone's face when they walked in and saw she wasn't on). Heading over on my bike I was kind of surprised at the amount of traffic, and the foot traffic on the sidewalks was heavy, everyone was hustling and bustling about to get to their eclipse viewing spot. The Cobblestone opens at two, there's a coffee shop across the street. I was thinking on my way over (1:45 or so) there was going to be some yuppie aszwhole with a mocha frappe sitting in my seat at my table as it's a pretty prime spot for eclipse viewing. Fortunately that didn't happen as that coffee shop patron with his/her frappe wouldn't have been sitting there when this bar patron came out on the porch with his Yuengling. Yes, when it got dark it did happen fast but the coming on of it didn't happen fast. It just got grayer and grayer and looked more and more like just another one of those way too many gray days we get here, I wasn't thrilled. The temp did indeed drop quickly but you could feel that coming on too. The temp was still reading 61 degrees but that's the chilliest 61 degrees I've ever felt, people went from t-shirts to sweatshirts pretty quickly and it never did warm back up. The eclipse was cool (literally too) but I'm fine with the fact that it''ll be a long time before we see another one.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Where I live the 2017 eclipse was more complete than this year's - ~85-90% compared to ~65-70%. In both instances I was lucky to have completely cloud free days for the experiences. It definitely got darker in 2017 but I don't recall a temperature drop like the one I experienced this year. Perhaps that's because 2017 happened on a 90 degree August day and the radiation of ground heat better countered this year's heat loss from insolation. In both instances I thought the change of light quality, tonality, etc. was crazy and incomparable to describe. Saying it was "sort of twilighty" doesn't do it justice. Hope I'm around in 2045!

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”