Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by HopFan16 »

norcalhop wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:57 am
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:42 am
Powellfan22 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:39 am
norcalhop wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:39 am Enjoying the moment for now, but it is shocking how much is lost next year. The entire attack and 1st midfield along with almost all of the starting defense will be gone to graduation.
That’s … not true. Collison is only a sophomore. Melendez has another year of eligibility if he wants it. I think Bauer does too. I think Smith does too. I mean, they lose a lot but that’s part of the game. You build towards moments like this, and so far at least Hopkins is making the most of it, which is what they are supposed to do.
Powellfan is correct:
Degnon/Angelus/Peshko/Szuluk/Ierlan are the starters that HAVE to go. If you like Ayers and H. Chauvette to impersonate the departing attackmen - the biggest unknown hole aside from goalie is SSDM. Martin/Jaronski/Aviles HAVE To go. Intel suggests Ince will not use his final year of eligibility. Raposo and Arteaga have another year. Other important players that probably can't be snuck by the NCAA are Grimes/McDermott/Stoebner.

Everybody loses important players next year - particularly PSU & MD - Rutgers loses their two biggest guns - For Michigan Tiernan and Ronda I suppose could come back (Tiernan was hurt it appears in '22 @ Lehigh but they both be 6 years in. The Buckeyes may appear to lose the least.
Good call. Forgot about Collison - and meant to say most of the 1st midfield. Agreed that Chauvette will fill one of the gaps left.
That still might be wrong — I don't know his plans yet but Bauer should have another year if he wants it. That'd be 2/3 first line middies back.

Bauer, Smith, Melendez, Deans, Raposo, Evans, C. Chauvette, Arteaga — some of those guys will likely be back.

+ Collison, Ayers, H. Chauvette, English back from injury, Callahan, Kilrain — holes to fill for sure but lots of talent to play around with. ND, Duke, UVA, Cuse, PSU, etc. are all hit with some pretty heavy losses too. Next year could be real interesting but that's a discussion for the summer.

OSU this weekend.
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

norcalhop wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:00 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:49 am
primitiveskills wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:34 am Gotta love QK's bit. How much internal turmoil did he have to go through to drop Duke all the way to #3?
LOL - I said before I am not sold on Duke - think their mid-field would really have to step up for them to make a serious run but they are last year finalists - with alot back from last year - #3 in RPI and they are 10-3 so he's not necessarily wrong. Also still at #3 SOS

QK was also on point with his Hopkins analysis - including identifying Ohio State as a "trap game"

He still takes his veiled shots at Hopkins though as evidenced by:
- How many times can he mention Garret Degnon's 3rd senior day? I think vaguely implying something was not quite right
- "Announced 5,800" whenever somebody says "announced" the implication it was fewer - maybe that's the shot "06 was talking about with Hopkins alums - in defense of them - it looked to be a pretty nasty day - alot of the younger alums bring their kids to Homecoming - last thing I would want to do is take a 5 and 3 year old out for two plus hours in that weather.
- He tiptoed right up to the line IMO when Aviles turned the ball over on the clear and while it was completely appropriate for an analyst to point out the Hopkins defense was tired and Penn State needed to take advantage in a close game it kind of seemed like the "chop their head off" was tinged with rooting for it to happen. He never used such visceral language when Hopkins had the ball.
- He carries some light worded disdain for Crawley's offense - "minimally invasive" is now his catchphrase but he's worded it in other ways too
- There was some disdain left over for shooting choices by Hopkins - "all day every day twice on Sunday" comes to mind - apparently even with a slightly worse shot percentage and the exact same number of saves by the Hopkins goalie - PSU did not take many poor shots

I think as the Top analyst he should maybe think about the following. If rested Hopkins indeed has one of the better defenses in the country. #1 SOS and the opponents Shot Percentage is 26%. That means you have to get to exactly 50 shots on average to score 13 goals. Opponents are averaging 38 shots per game. You are going to win or be pretty close in alot of lacrosse games if your opponents shoot 26% and the volume of shots is not in the stratosphere. Couple that with a less than dominant face-off performance and you have an offense that wants to take it deep in the shot clock and rely on above average shooting so some of the perimeter minimal invasiveness is very much intended.
He's not well liked by many Hopkins lax alums for a reason. Likely has an axe to grind or wants to appear extra impartial.
I'd say some of this is cherry picking points to create a perspective to support a certain narrative against Q. QK is less negative towards JHU than a lot of alumni on this forum are when team isn't performing to expectations
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:03 pm
norcalhop wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:00 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:34 am Gotta love QK's bit. How much internal turmoil did he have to go through to drop Duke all the way to #3?
LOL - I said before I am not sold on Duke - think their mid-field would really have to step up for them to make a serious run but they are last year finalists - with alot back from last year - #3 in RPI and they are 10-3 so he's not necessarily wrong. Also still at #3 SOS

QK was also on point with his Hopkins analysis - including identifying Ohio State as a "trap game"

- How many times can he mention Garret Degnon's 3rd senior day? I think vaguely implying something was not quite right
- "Announced 5,800" whenever somebody says "announced" the implication it was fewer - maybe that's the shot "06 was talking about with Hopkins alums - in defense of them - it looked to be a pretty nasty day - alot of the younger alums bring their kids to Homecoming - last thing I would want to do is take a 5 and 3 year old out for two plus hours in that weather.
- He tiptoed right up to the line IMO when Aviles turned the ball over on the clear and while it was completely appropriate for an analyst to point out the Hopkins defense was tired and Penn State needed to take advantage in a close game it kind of seemed like the "chop their head off" was tinged with rooting for it to happen. He never used such visceral language when Hopkins had the ball.
- He carries some light worded disdain for Crawley's offense - "minimally invasive" is now his catchphrase but he's worded it in other ways too
- There was some disdain left over for shooting choices by Hopkins - "all day every day twice on Sunday" comes to mind - apparently even with a slightly worse shot percentage and the exact same number of saves by the Hopkins goalie - PSU did not take many poor shots

I think as the Top analyst he should maybe think about the following. If rested Hopkins indeed has one of the better defenses in the country. #1 SOS and the opponents Shot Percentage is 26%. That means you have to get to exactly 50 shots on average to score 13 goals. Opponents are averaging 38 shots per game. You are going to win or be pretty close in alot of lacrosse games if your opponents shoot 26% and the volume of shots is not in the stratosphere. Couple that with a less than dominant face-off performance and you have an offense that wants to take it deep in the shot clock and rely on above average shooting so some of the perimeter minimal invasiveness is very much intended.
He's not well liked by many Hopkins lax alums for a reason. Likely has an axe to grind or wants to appear extra impartial.
I'd say some of this is cherry picking points to create a perspective to support a certain narrative against Q. QK is less negative towards JHU than a lot of alumni on this forum are when team isn't performing to expectations
I like QK.

His legacy as one of the greatest goalies in Hopkins lacrosse history is vastly underappreciated.

At his best, I think he is the best color commentator for lacrosse.

He is also the most prominent sportscaster to graduate from Hopkins in the last few decades. Covers college football (sideline reporter), college wrestling, and lacrosse. I think his ultimate goal is to get a gig as a color commentator for college football. He’s getting awful close to that goal.

Keep him separated from Anish and Carc, and he does a terrific job.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:45 pm
I like QK.

His legacy as one of the greatest goalies in Hopkins lacrosse history is vastly underappreciated.

He is also the most prominent sportscaster to graduate from Hopkins in the last few decades. Covers college football (sideline reporter), college wrestling, and lacrosse. I think his ultimate goal is to get a gig as a color commentator for college football. He’s getting awful close to that goal.

DocBarrister 8-)
Sheehan and Q is a good combo. I also like him and Dixon together.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:07 pm
I like QK.

DocBarrister 8-)
Sheehan and anyone is a good combo. ;)

DocBarrister :P
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:19 pm
nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:07 pm
I like QK.

DocBarrister 8-)
Sheehan and anyone is a good combo. ;)

DocBarrister :P
Dixon is good.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

No question Q has been hard on Hopkins for years, but I think he is mellowing and now more fair. But I made several of those those same points to my wife as we were watching the game: 'yeah, it's a shot, but not a good shot. Right to the goalie's net, with not much heat.' And yes, our O seems to take quarters off. We also struggle against the Zone. (think Rutgers, or EMO - a far cry from the days of, 'Foul a Jay, and the band will play'.). That's on Coach C.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Mike Bloomberg met with the team at Cordish after the Penn State win. Ronny D with a guest appearance.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5g9c78JVgT/?img_index=1

If he wants to earmark half a billion for the program, I wouldn't mind
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Towson and Georgetown are 16-2 since their losses early in the season to Hopkins. Program was ready in February despite the D word ending.

Carc does the hard core homer thing for Syracuse. No thanks. Quint is tart. Good. I think the issues are that in game he doesn't do enough xs and os or explaining why a veteran Hopkins offense at home had exactly one goal in however many minutes it was to start the game. Fracyon was making stops-what else?

Offense gets another great test this weekend. These are older Ohio States game notes from maryland lead in but statistically against a competitive schedule they've been strong defensively.
https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/news/2024 ... s-saturday

Ohio State leads the conference with 35.18 ground balls per game and ranks in the top 10 nationally in the category.
The Buckeyes have also earned top-20 marks nationally in caused turnovers per game (9.00), scoring defense (9.55), faceoff win percentage (.577) and clear percentage (.884).
Ohio State's defense has held four opponents to their lowest scoring performances of the season – including the top-10 scoring offenses of Virginia and Penn State – and six to their second lowest.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:17 pm Mike Bloomberg met with the team at Cordish after the Penn State win. Ronny D with a guest appearance.

Think of the NIL - I'm sure Degnon's smiling face could sell a whole lot of Bloomberg terminals.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:17 pm Mike Bloomberg met with the team at Cordish after the Penn State win. Ronny D with a guest appearance.

With his current net worth of 106.2 billion, 1/2 billion is practically pocket change for Mike.
Last edited by Hoponboard on Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

As a reminder of how our lives used to be, go look at the Army/Colgate box score. Army lost 14-11. Army won 80% of the face-off and put more shots on cage (29-20). But, Colgate's goalie saved 18/29 (62%) and Army's goalie saved 6/20 (30%). Remember how hard it was to win with the 40% goaltending? Imagine even where the team would be this year with our usual 48% goaltending rather the 56% were getting.

Thanks, #22.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Excellent. We will need Bloomberg money to upgrade our facilities when we join the B1G as a full member. Looking forward to watching Johns Hopkins football play Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State in the new 70,000-seat Bloomberg Field.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:15 pm

Excellent. We will need Bloomberg money to upgrade our facilities when we join the B1G as a full member. Looking forward to watching Johns Hopkins football play Michigan, Penn State, and Ohio State in the new 70,000-seat Bloomberg Field.

DocBarrister
NIL is/will be the next battlefront for recruits
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

nyjay wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:09 pm As a reminder of how our lives used to be, go look at the Army/Colgate box score. Army lost 14-11. Army won 80% of the face-off and put more shots on cage (29-20). But, Colgate's goalie saved 18/29 (62%) and Army's goalie saved 6/20 (30%). Remember how hard it was to win with the 40% goaltending? Imagine even where the team would be this year with our usual 48% goaltending rather the 56% were getting.

Thanks, #22.
Goalie play is the great equalizer. In the past decade, only Eric Schneider comes to mind as an above average goalie for this program.

if only the stars aligned and we had dominant face off play this year as well.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

The man in the second and third pictures is this guy, who is more important to the programs future than any player, coach, or recruit.
https://president.jhu.edu/profiles/fritz-w-schroeder/

Daniels making a token appearance is not really news. Bloomberg and that man with a signed 64 jersey-presumably Bloombergs graduation year is.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:29 pm

The man in the second and third pictures is this guy, who is more important to the programs future than any player, coach, or recruit.
https://president.jhu.edu/profiles/fritz-w-schroeder/

Daniels making a token appearance is not really news. Bloomberg and that man with a signed 64 jersey-presumably Bloombergs graduation year is.
You are so unbelievably weird
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:22 pm Ohio State's defense has held four opponents to their lowest scoring performances of the season – including the top-10 scoring offenses of Virginia and Penn State – and six to their second lowest.
Check your facts Sgt. Friday - Penn State scored 12 against Ohio State - I believe Penn State just played a team that held then to 8. Same with UVA - Hopkins "held" them to 14 as well - which was their output against Ohio State. Just looking at their schedule - holding Denver to 9 and Maryland to 8 are probably their best defensive performances.

It is clear that Ohio State is a talented defensive team. The issue for them is the other side of the field. The math is pretty easy. They average almost exactly 10.5 goals per game. In their 6 wins they average 12.5 goals per game - with likely the best overall output the 14 against Rutgers. Conversely - against the much tougher half of the schedule - in their 6 losses they average??? 8.5 goals per game. Equal number of possessions - Hopkins stands a decent chance.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:34 am
jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:22 pm Ohio State's defense has held four opponents to their lowest scoring performances of the season – including the top-10 scoring offenses of Virginia and Penn State – and six to their second lowest.
Check your facts Sgt. Friday - Penn State scored 12 against Ohio State - I believe Penn State just played a team that held then to 8. Same with UVA - Hopkins "held" them to 14 as well - which was their output against Ohio State. Just looking at their schedule - holding Denver to 9 and Maryland to 8 are probably their best defensive performances.

It is clear that Ohio State is a talented defensive team. The issue for them is the other side of the field. The math is pretty easy. They average almost exactly 10.5 goals per game. In their 6 wins they average 12.5 goals per game - with likely the best overall output the 14 against Rutgers. Conversely - against the much tougher half of the schedule - in their 6 losses they average??? 8.5 goals per game. Equal number of possessions - Hopkins stands a decent chance.
That was from the Ohio State game notes prior to the Maryland game.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Well UVA only scored 13 on Harvard on March 30 - so I guess the the SI department of OSU has to up their game

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”