Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by jhu06 »

A win next week and they clinch a bye, a win and a terp loss to a Rutgers program that per dixon hasn't beaten testudo since 1980 and they clinch the conference regular season title.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Blue Jays currently have:

1 top 5 RPI win (Virginia),

1 top 10 RPI win (Penn State),

2 top 15 RPI wins (Georgetown, Michigan), and

1 top 20 RPI win (Towson).

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:04 pm Blue Jays currently have:

DocBarrister
Michigan fell to 17 with the loss tonight. Otherwise that is correct.

I believe the Jays will be seeded #2 or #3 if there are new bracketologies this week.

But, again, all that matters right now is the Buckeyes. Got to keep it going.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:20 pm

DocBarrister

I believe the Jays will be seeded #2 or #3 if there are new bracketologies this week.

This week goals

-Figure out the wings
-Figure out how to start stronger at faceoff
-Figure out how to use the strong defense and goaltending to score more transition goals
-Figure out how to score more earlier in the game and avoid sluggish offensive starts
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:31 pm

DocBarrister

This week goals

-Figure out the wings
-Figure out how to use the strong defense and goaltending to score more transition goals
-Figure out how to score more earlier in the game and avoid sluggish offensive starts
We also need more Big Guy play from Collison, Grimes, and Peshko.

I’m not talking about the type of play Collison scored on in OT. Not talking about the nice give-and-gos that Peshko scored on.

I’m talking about the pure and simple power dodge that Collison almost scored on in the waning seconds of regulation against Penn State.

More plays like THAT.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:51 pm

DocBarrister

This week goals

-Figure out the wings

I’m not talking about the type of play Collison scored on in OT. Not talking about the nice give-and-gos that Peshko scored on.

I’m talking about the pure and simple power dodge that Collison almost scored on in the waning seconds of regulation against Penn State.

More plays like THAT.

DocBarrister
Grimes has kind of disappeared again. And agreed with some, focus should be on Ohio State and then UMD. I'd rather not worry about Rutger's RPI.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

norcalhop wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:06 pm

DocBarrister

This week goals

-Figure out the wings

More plays like THAT.

DocBarrister
Grimes has kind of disappeared again. And agreed with some, focus should be on Ohio State and then UMD. I'd rather not worry about Rutger's RPI.
Degnon delivers pretty much every game, Angelus delivers most games, after that it's been a rotating cast of Melendez/Peshko/Grimes/Collison/Chauvette/Ayers/Bauer giving them enough to win most games. Sort of depends on what the opponent can or can't stop that week. Jaronski and Martin can shoot, we know Deans and Smith aren't afraid to let it fly. They're playing with a lot of confidence on d and with the issues on faceoff and offense would be great to see them push more transition which PM has said he wants to do. They certainly have the depth and communication to the point where if they flop having an ssdm or lsm making a run they have guys back who can recover.

Rutgers had a lot on the line tonight and showed up. Ohio State will too next weekend.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:01 am
norcalhop wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:06 pm

DocBarrister

This week goals

-Figure out the wings

More plays like THAT.

DocBarrister
Degnon delivers pretty much every game, Angelus delivers most games, after that it's been a rotating cast of Melendez/Peshko/Grimes/Collison/Chauvette/Ayers/Bauer giving them enough to win most games. Sort of depends on what the opponent can or can't stop that week. Jaronski and Martin can shoot, we know Deans and Smith aren't afraid to let it fly. They're playing with a lot of confidence on d and with the issues on faceoff and offense would be great to see them push more transition which PM has said he wants to do. They certainly have the depth and communication to the point where if they flop having an ssdm or lsm making a run they have guys back who can recover.

Rutgers had a lot on the line tonight and showed up. Ohio State will too next weekend.
Forgot that Rutgers and Michigan were playing tonight. Michigan losing just goes to show it's any given sunday now.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Enjoying the moment for now, but it is shocking how much is lost next year. The entire attack and 1st midfield along with almost all of the starting defense will be gone to graduation.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

norcalhop wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:39 am Enjoying the moment for now, but it is shocking how much is lost next year. The entire attack and 1st midfield along with almost all of the starting defense will be gone to graduation.
That’s … not true. Collison is only a sophomore. Melendez has another year of eligibility if he wants it. I think Bauer does too. I think Smith does too. I mean, they lose a lot but that’s part of the game. You build towards moments like this, and so far at least Hopkins is making the most of it, which is what they are supposed to do.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Powellfan22 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:39 am
norcalhop wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:39 am Enjoying the moment for now, but it is shocking how much is lost next year. The entire attack and 1st midfield along with almost all of the starting defense will be gone to graduation.
That’s … not true. Collison is only a sophomore. Melendez has another year of eligibility if he wants it. I think Bauer does too. I think Smith does too. I mean, they lose a lot but that’s part of the game. You build towards moments like this, and so far at least Hopkins is making the most of it, which is what they are supposed to do.
Powellfan is correct:
Degnon/Angelus/Peshko/Szuluk/Ierlan are the starters that HAVE to go. If you like Ayers and H. Chauvette to impersonate the departing attackmen - the biggest unknown hole aside from goalie is SSDM. Martin/Jaronski/Aviles HAVE To go. Intel suggests Ince will not use his final year of eligibility. Raposo and Arteaga have another year. Other important players that probably can't be snuck by the NCAA are Grimes/McDermott/Stoebner.

Everybody loses important players next year - particularly PSU & MD - Rutgers loses their two biggest guns - For Michigan Tiernan and Ronda I suppose could come back (Tiernan was hurt it appears in '22 @ Lehigh but they both be 6 years in. The Buckeyes may appear to lose the least.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

In the last 4 minutes and overtime,
Collison had the regulation time go ahead goal, the off the post near regulation game-winning goal, and the overtime game winning goal.
LaxAllStars

Post by LaxAllStars »

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

#3 in Media IL poll
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

You are what we call in the sports biz a "doomer," my friend. Listen to your own advice — enjoy the moment. Worry about next year in June. And has others have mentioned, we will lose some important pieces, but not as much as you think.

A top 4 ranking is nice but A) the last time they were ranked this high they promptly sh*t the bed, so one would hope they are blocking out the noise and staying even steven to focus on the Buckeyes and B) we are at the point in the season when the RPI starts to actually tell you something, so that's probably worth paying more attention to than the rankings — which are a fun exercise but completely meaningless in terms of tournament selection and seeding.

Collison also had two huge goals late in the 4th against UVA to win that game. Something in the water with these Canadian middies who seem to save their best for crunch time — first Tinney now Collison.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

LaxAllStars wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:00 am QK has JHU at #4

https://laxallstars.com/quint-kessenich ... -8tt-2024/
Gotta love QK's bit. How much internal turmoil did he have to go through to drop Duke all the way to #3?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:34 am
LaxAllStars wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:00 am QK has JHU at #4

https://laxallstars.com/quint-kessenich ... -8tt-2024/
Gotta love QK's bit. How much internal turmoil did he have to go through to drop Duke all the way to #3?
Nobody is going to be surprised if they ultimately end up back in the Final Four, but man, they have not looked particularly impressive since shellacking Princeton over a month ago. Again maybe they finish there but they are absolutely not the 3rd best team in the country right now. I'd have them towards the back end of the top 10.

Having said that, right around this time last year is when they started to turn on the jets. Lost to ND and then beat UVA (as they always do in the regular season) the following week and rattled off six straight wins to make the title game. BUT the job of poll voter is not to predict where teams will end up in May — it's where they are today. And Duke ain't 3.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:34 am Gotta love QK's bit. How much internal turmoil did he have to go through to drop Duke all the way to #3?
LOL - I said before I am not sold on Duke - think their mid-field would really have to step up for them to make a serious run but they are last year finalists - with alot back from last year - #3 in RPI and they are 10-3 so he's not necessarily wrong. Also still at #3 SOS

QK was also on point with his Hopkins analysis - including identifying Ohio State as a "trap game"

He still takes his veiled shots at Hopkins though as evidenced by:
- How many times can he mention Garret Degnon's 3rd senior day? I think vaguely implying something was not quite right
- "Announced 5,800" whenever somebody says "announced" the implication it was fewer - maybe that's the shot "06 was talking about with Hopkins alums - in defense of them - it looked to be a pretty nasty day - alot of the younger alums bring their kids to Homecoming - last thing I would want to do is take a 5 and 3 year old out for two plus hours in that weather.
- He tiptoed right up to the line IMO when Aviles turned the ball over on the clear and while it was completely appropriate for an analyst to point out the Hopkins defense was tired and Penn State needed to take advantage in a close game it kind of seemed like the "chop their head off" was tinged with rooting for it to happen. He never used such visceral language when Hopkins had the ball.
- He carries some light worded disdain for Crawley's offense - "minimally invasive" is now his catchphrase but he's worded it in other ways too
- There was some disdain left over for shooting choices by Hopkins - "all day every day twice on Sunday" comes to mind - apparently even with a slightly worse shot percentage and the exact same number of saves by the Hopkins goalie - PSU did not take many poor shots

I think as the Top analyst he should maybe think about the following. If rested Hopkins indeed has one of the better defenses in the country. #1 SOS and the opponents Shot Percentage is 26%. That means you have to get to exactly 50 shots on average to score 13 goals. Opponents are averaging 38 shots per game. You are going to win or be pretty close in alot of lacrosse games if your opponents shoot 26% and the volume of shots is not in the stratosphere. Couple that with a less than dominant face-off performance and you have an offense that wants to take it deep in the shot clock and rely on above average shooting so some of the perimeter minimal invasiveness is very much intended.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:42 am
Powellfan is correct:
Degnon/Angelus/Peshko/Szuluk/Ierlan are the starters that HAVE to go. If you like Ayers and H. Chauvette to impersonate the departing attackmen - the biggest unknown hole aside from goalie is SSDM. Martin/Jaronski/Aviles HAVE To go. Intel suggests Ince will not use his final year of eligibility. Raposo and Arteaga have another year. Other important players that probably can't be snuck by the NCAA are Grimes/McDermott/Stoebner.

Everybody loses important players next year - particularly PSU & MD - Rutgers loses their two biggest guns - For Michigan Tiernan and Ronda I suppose could come back (Tiernan was hurt it appears in '22 @ Lehigh but they both be 6 years in. The Buckeyes may appear to lose the least.
Good call. Forgot about Collison - and meant to say most of the 1st midfield. Agreed that Chauvette will fill one of the gaps left.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:49 am
primitiveskills wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:34 am Gotta love QK's bit. How much internal turmoil did he have to go through to drop Duke all the way to #3?
LOL - I said before I am not sold on Duke - think their mid-field would really have to step up for them to make a serious run but they are last year finalists - with alot back from last year - #3 in RPI and they are 10-3 so he's not necessarily wrong. Also still at #3 SOS

QK was also on point with his Hopkins analysis - including identifying Ohio State as a "trap game"

He still takes his veiled shots at Hopkins though as evidenced by:
- How many times can he mention Garret Degnon's 3rd senior day? I think vaguely implying something was not quite right
- "Announced 5,800" whenever somebody says "announced" the implication it was fewer - maybe that's the shot "06 was talking about with Hopkins alums - in defense of them - it looked to be a pretty nasty day - alot of the younger alums bring their kids to Homecoming - last thing I would want to do is take a 5 and 3 year old out for two plus hours in that weather.
- He tiptoed right up to the line IMO when Aviles turned the ball over on the clear and while it was completely appropriate for an analyst to point out the Hopkins defense was tired and Penn State needed to take advantage in a close game it kind of seemed like the "chop their head off" was tinged with rooting for it to happen. He never used such visceral language when Hopkins had the ball.
- He carries some light worded disdain for Crawley's offense - "minimally invasive" is now his catchphrase but he's worded it in other ways too
- There was some disdain left over for shooting choices by Hopkins - "all day every day twice on Sunday" comes to mind - apparently even with a slightly worse shot percentage and the exact same number of saves by the Hopkins goalie - PSU did not take many poor shots

I think as the Top analyst he should maybe think about the following. If rested Hopkins indeed has one of the better defenses in the country. #1 SOS and the opponents Shot Percentage is 26%. That means you have to get to exactly 50 shots on average to score 13 goals. Opponents are averaging 38 shots per game. You are going to win or be pretty close in alot of lacrosse games if your opponents shoot 26% and the volume of shots is not in the stratosphere. Couple that with a less than dominant face-off performance and you have an offense that wants to take it deep in the shot clock and rely on above average shooting so some of the perimeter minimal invasiveness is very much intended.
He's not well liked by many Hopkins lax alums for a reason. Likely has an axe to grind or wants to appear extra impartial.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”