Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ruffled_Feathers

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

norcalhop wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:41 am
jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:13 am They're in the ncaa tournament. They lose the next 3 and they're 8-6 with wins over uva, penn state, michigan, georgetown, et al.

Cotter said at the end of the broadcast it was the last win in the last possession in 6 years. doesn't seem right but oh well.

Apparently haven't won in Columbus since 2002.
https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... o-state/90

A win over ohio state clinches a big ten tournament first round bye. A win plus a maryland loss next week clinches the conference regular season title. Worst they can do right now is finish 4th in the conference and get a first round big ten home game.
https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... iversity/1

Hm, not sure how to parse that cotter comment, but agreed that it doesn't seem right based on the above results.
Your link doesn't really offer anything in relation to that statement unless I'm the one with the reading comprehension issue. He seems to be saying that this is the first time in however long that the Jays have had a "final" possession scoring victory against anybody. Meaning like game is tied and the go ahead goal is scored in the waning seconds/minute or sudden victory overtime. Presumably most of the Jays one goal wins in years have been either by sitting on a one goal lead for multiple minutes and keep away possessions or the lead getting tighter in a barely hanging on kind of fashion.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sunday morning thoughts:
- Both goalies were truly outstanding - did think Hopkins was trying to be too perfect and just not shooting in the first half - essentially same number of face-offs/saves/groundballs and they had 5 more turnovers and PSU ends up with 9 more shots? Maybe one of the few true statements in those types of sports - can't score if you don't shoot
- Malone/Costin and Traynor were the only Nittany Lions to score
- My comments about Kilrain stand but Hopkins only real defensive lapse was again those three times we thought it was a good idea to let a SSDM handle Malone with little support. He makes you pay for your mistakes - especially the last one where Kllrain switched and the SSDM stayed with the pick setter too for a couple of seconds - like the end of the Beatles record #7/#7/#7
- Turnover numbers were probably the difference - Szuluk's stick in the passing lane was just one of those huge plays
- If you look "trap game" up in the Encyclopedia there will be a picture of the upcoming Ohio State game - night game/standing room only/hot goalie/defensive minded team (of their 6 losses - all to some of the who's who of lacrosse this year - UVA/Notre Dame/Cornell/Denver/Maryland & Penn State - Cornell scored the most 15 and the largest margin of defeat was 6 to UVA @ Klockner) and you just had this huge OT win and the next Hopkins game after Ohio State sometimes means something to some people
- Looks like Wierman had his way with the OSU face-off men but they are still at 56% through 12 games - Fyock is at 54% Save percentage. In some ways the game being close to sold out might help Hopkins keep the juice and energy level up - long range forecast suggest a front coming through Columbus during the week but Sunday could be really nice - high of 75.
- Hopkins players have to understand how important this game is - win this game (assuming Rutgers doesn't pull any monumental upsets - if they do so much the better) and then you have clinched at least the #2 spot in the BIG if PSU can handle Michigan in State College - lose this game and anything can happen. I agree they are probably in the NCAA's - this is all about the path to Phiadelphia. Given Hopkins is playing last next week - they will know the outcome of the next 3 BIG games and exactly where they stand.
- Of the 10 listed as Starters from the Hopkins - OSU game last year and the 10 that apparently lined up against Maryland yesterday - there is only 1 common name - Marcus Hudgins on defense - now players like Allen/Cool/Shean/Eiland obviously were playing in both games but thought that was really notable.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:21 am
jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:13 am They're in the ncaa tournament. They lose the next 3 and they're 8-6 with wins over uva, penn state, michigan, georgetown, et al.

Cotter said at the end of the broadcast it was the last win in the last possession in 6 years. doesn't seem right but oh well.

A win over ohio state clinches a big ten tournament first round bye. A win plus a maryland loss next week clinches the conference regular season title. Worst they can do right now is finish 4th in the conference and get a first round big ten home game.

Hm, not sure how to parse that cotter comment, but agreed that it doesn't seem right based on the above results.
Your link doesn't really offer anything in relation to that statement unless I'm the one with the reading comprehension issue. He seems to be saying that this is the first time in however long that the Jays have had a "final" possession scoring victory against anybody. Meaning like game is tied and the go ahead goal is scored in the waning seconds/minute or sudden victory overtime. Presumably most of the Jays one goal wins in years have been either by sitting on a one goal lead for multiple minutes and keep away possessions or the lead getting tighter in a barely hanging on kind of fashion.
I haven't gone back to look through every game but just off the top of my head I know that isn't right. There was the infamous Mount St. Mary's game in 2020 — Jays won in OT. I'm not a mathematician but I'm pretty sure that was less than six years ago.

The quality of the ESPN announcing has taken a nosedive this year. Anish seems to be calling fewer games and when he does, it's apparent that he's not watching as much lacrosse as he used to. He called UNC's Collin Krieg one of the best goalies in the country yesterday in the UNC/UVA game. That hasn't been true for three years. Meanwhile Carc is just insufferable, Cotter tries but frequently gets stuff wrong or doesn't pay attention and misses important calls. Quint to me is the only one kind of holding it all together. Still feel like he overcompensates for any potential Hopkins bias by going too far in the other direction (e.g. essentially accusing Aviles of murder vs. Navy a few weeks ago), but he knows his stuff.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:05 am I haven't gone back to look through every game but just off the top of my head I know that isn't right. There was the infamous Mount St. Mary's game in 2020 — Jays won in OT. I'm not a mathematician but I'm pretty sure that was less than six years ago.
Yes he forgot the infamous victory in 2020. BUT - if you give him an understandable pass on overlooking that one game - since the season was cancelled - it look like the last OT victory for Hopkins was against Georgetown in 2018 - the Kyle Marr comeback game. Plus Cotter didn't know squat about Hopkins OT victories - a producer fed it to him.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:05 am Sunday morning thoughts:
- Both goalies were truly outstanding - did think Hopkins was trying to be too perfect and just not shooting in the first half - essentially same number of face-offs/saves/groundballs and they had 5 more turnovers and PSU ends up with 9 more shots? Maybe one of the few true statements in those types of sports - can't score if you don't shoot
- Malone/Costin and Traynor were the only Nittany Lions to score
- My comments about Kilrain stand but Hopkins only real defensive lapse was again those three times we thought it was a good idea to let a SSDM handle Malone with little support. He makes you pay for your mistakes - especially the last one where Kllrain switched and the SSDM stayed with the pick setter too for a couple of seconds - like the end of the Beatles record #7/#7/#7
- Turnover numbers were probably the difference - Szuluk's stick in the passing lane was just one of those huge plays
- If you look "trap game" up in the Encyclopedia there will be a picture of the upcoming Ohio State game - night game/standing room only/hot goalie/defensive minded team (of their 6 losses - all to some of the who's who of lacrosse this year - UVA/Notre Dame/Cornell/Denver/Maryland & Penn State - Cornell scored the most 15 and the largest margin of defeat was 6 to UVA @ Klockner) and you just had this huge OT win and the next Hopkins game after Ohio State sometimes means something to some people
- Looks like Wierman had his way with the OSU face-off men but they are still at 56% through 12 games - Fyock is at 54% Save percentage. In some ways the game being close to sold out might help Hopkins keep the juice and energy level up - long range forecast suggest a front coming through Columbus during the week but Sunday could be really nice - high of 75.
- Hopkins players have to understand how important this game is - win this game (assuming Rutgers doesn't pull any monumental upsets - if they do so much the better) and then you have clinched at least the #2 spot in the BIG if PSU can handle Michigan in State College - lose this game and anything can happen. I agree they are probably in the NCAA's - this is all about the path to Phiadelphia. Given Hopkins is playing last next week - they will know the outcome of the next 3 BIG games and exactly where they stand.
- Of the 10 listed as Starters from the Hopkins - OSU game last year and the 10 that apparently lined up against Maryland yesterday - there is only 1 common name - Marcus Hudgins on defense - now players like Allen/Cool/Shean/Eiland obviously were playing in both games but thought that was really notable.
OSU is not a trap game. First, Jays have not won in Columbus since 2002. Second, losing to Buckeyes would be a worst hit to RPI than losing to Terps. Third, OSU plays everyone tough. Hop will have to bring their A effort to prevail.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sure it is - all the trappings are there - Huge OT Win against last year national semi-final team when you were trailing virtually the entire game. Following week is Maryland (enough said). Ohio State is 6-6 - signature win is Rutgers? Air Force? Utah? Bellarmine? Most of the players from Hopkins were on the field when they beat Ohio State by 9 goals - not many from Ohio State were. Jays RPI might be going up - their national ranking too. Sounds like a sell-out home crowd for a desperate team that can't afford to fall to 1-3 in the BIG cementing at best the 4/5 or 6 seed and if they lose to Michigan the following week - no NCAAs unless they win the BIG. Hopkins better pay strict attention - walking into a potential S storm.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:35 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:06 pm Great game. Only nit from my POV was the team was playing not to lose vs playing to win (with about 2 minutes left, they stalled that possession and did not generate any type of offense) during second to last possession of regulation when they were up by 1.
Milliman or Crawley I forget talked in the past about wanting to work deep into possessions to get matchups but today it felt like they just couldn't get the offense going because of the penn state defense and work fracyon was doing. There also wasn't much in transition which was surprising because usually when you're playing sound defense, your goalie is humming as ierlan was, and you've got ssdms that know how to go up the field you're getting breaks the other way.

Back to the smurf comment, collison was caught on d late in the 3rd or 4th and held up well I thought in a possession that turned into a penn state turnover.
Hopkins uses a lot of 2-man from the high wing when to initiate offense, but Penn St did a really effective job shutting of the adjacent pass and thus preventing us from getting into the 2-man game. The last play was one of the few times they didn’t do that, and once Bauer dusted Haus, it was game over.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Quint Kessenich, the Three Amigos, color commentary, ND game,

"Seek Love!"
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:21 am

Yes, it's difficult to understand what exactly he meant by that. My interpretation was no last possession wins in the series. If he meant Hopkins in general, I guess that makes more sense? But anyways, a pedantic point at this moment.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:28 pm Quint Kessenich, the Three Amigos, color commentary, ND game,

"Seek Love!"
Can someone tell him to Seek help?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

norcalhop wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:04 pm Yes, it's difficult to understand what exactly he meant by that. My interpretation was no last possession wins in the series. If he meant Hopkins in general, I guess that makes more sense? But anyways, a pedantic point at this moment.
I think it is clear that a producer told him in his earpiece that Hopkins had not won an OT game since 2018 - forgetting the MSM game in 2020.

I guess I am missing the point about "Seek Love" - what was the context? - given the tragedy at UVA several years ago - many still wear the One Love shirts. Who cares? He still makes very good points at times.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Hopkins RPI at #2. I guess we want Michigan to continue to win - keeps them in the Top 20
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

norcalhop wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:05 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:28 pm Quint Kessenich, the Three Amigos, color commentary, ND game,

"Seek Love!"
Can someone tell him to Seek help?
51 is right. They're not out of the woods.
-Only tickets currently available are standing room only-they're expecting a crowd
-Haven't won in columbus since 2002
-Desperate opponent
-Maryland following week
-Tested opponent-they've played uva/cornell/denver/maryland/penn state
-1 in the conference in gbs/scoring defense
-2 in cts/clearing/faceoffs
-Fyock is 1 in gaa
-They have guys who are 3/6/7 in cts
-Burke is 3 in conference in faceoffs

Basically penn state but on the road with a better faceoff/clearing and worse offense

Then it's a short week leading into Maryland (who has a 7pm saturday home game).
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:38 pm Hopkins RPI at #2. I guess we want Michigan to continue to win - keeps them in the Top 20
Does it really matter? One goes up one goes down. We beat them both. (once conference play starts, where everyone plays everyone else...)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Big Dog wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:34 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:38 pm Hopkins RPI at #2. I guess we want Michigan to continue to win - keeps them in the Top 20
Does it really matter? One goes up one goes down. We beat them both. (once conference play starts, where everyone plays everyone else...)
It doesn't really change our own RPI but we want Michigan to stay in the top 20 so that stays as a quality win. I suppose there is a scenario in which Rutgers wins this game and both Rutgers and Michigan finish in the top 20 — so in that case we'd actually want Rutgers to win — but that seems pretty unlikely. Rutgers is pretty far out right now.

If Michigan wins, they are 12 and Rutgers is 28. If Rutgers win, they move up to 23, and Michigan falls to 17. So it wouldn't be devastating for Michigan, but puts them on the edge.

The other thing is if Michigan wins this and keeps winning, they could technically end up in the top 10, which would be even better than Rutgers finishing in the top 20, IMO.

All of this is to say, no, it doesn't really matter all that much, but one extra top 20 win could in theory be the difference between being seeded, say, 3rd, and facing Towson or St. Joes, vs. 4th or 5th, and facing Georgetown or Yale. Not worth losing sleep over but every little bit helps.

Jays are in an excellent position either way. Ohio State's the only thing they should be worrying about now.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Rutgers is down in 'Others Receiving Votes', #23, at least in this poll (which the BTN follows), so they coudl easily jump back into the T20. (Colgate won, but tOSU lost.). Anyone know which poll the Selection Committee favors?

https://usila.org/news/2024/4/1/mens-la ... eek-9.aspx
Last edited by Big Dog on Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Big Dog wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:07 pm Rutgers is down in 'Others Receiving Votes', #23, at least in this polll, so they coudl easily jump back into the T20. (Colgate won, but tOSU lost.). Anyone know which poll the Selection Committee favors?

I'm referring to the RPI, not the rankings, which are meaningless

https://pro.lacrossereference.com/rpi-d1-men
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:08 pm
Big Dog wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:07 pm Rutgers is down in 'Others Receiving Votes', #23, at least in this polll, so they coudl easily jump back into the T20. (Colgate won, but tOSU lost.). Anyone know which poll the Selection Committee favors?

That's a circular argument. If RPI is what matters, and our RPI won't change regardless of who wins tonite, then why does a T20 win count more than a T25?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Big Dog wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:11 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:08 pm

That's a circular argument. If RPI is what matters, and our RPI won't change regardless of who wins tonite, then why does a T20 win count more than a T25?
:roll:

Because the committee values a top 20 RPI win more than a 21+ win. Hope that helps

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”