media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: media matters

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

frmanfan wrote:
youthathletics wrote:This is getting a bit carried away. Why is everything friggen political or racist.....Jeez. Coast Guard member flashes white power hand signal on TV

If anyone has kids, especially teenagers, and even I did this when I was a kid....you made this sign to force someone to look, a joke, a gag, whatever you call it. Sometimes we would simply point. like the old trick to point to someones shirt to make them look down. If you are Instagram, these type of funny gags are all over the place....and yes even by non-white people.
So I am sitting here reading this post, having never heard of this hand signal before, and I realize that I am leaning on my left arm, with my head supported by my left hand, in, you guessed it, the exact same position as the guy in the photo. When I thought about it, I realize it is a common pose for me when I am on the phone. Is it a white power sign if you never knew about it? Am I subliminally signalling?

Silly.
Of course it would be silly. No intent, no signal.

But apparently the Coast Guard thought there was actual intent and removed him. We'd certainly hope that such action was based on whatever else they knew or learned about his beliefs that would confirm that he most likely knew exactly what he was doing. A little social media research would likely reveal such, but hey, if they didn't bother then indeed shame on them...but you wanna bet if they bothered? My bet would be on the Coast Guard bothering.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote:so racism isnt racism if it's not the president's buddies?
So, CotB, is it Not racism if it IS one of the president's buddies?

Are you perfectly cool with these 'dudes' and what they are signaling?

I get that you want to say that someone else may 'hate whites' (undoubtedly someone may) but are you suggesting that 'white power', 'white supremacy' is therefore justified?

Just asking where you come down on this.
opposite of what im saying.

no.

no.

where i come down is i value equality over convenience.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:
ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote:so racism isnt racism if it's not the president's buddies?
So, CotB, is it Not racism if it IS one of the president's buddies?

Are you perfectly cool with these 'dudes' and what they are signaling?

I get that you want to say that someone else may 'hate whites' (undoubtedly someone may) but are you suggesting that 'white power', 'white supremacy' is therefore justified?

Just asking where you come down on this.
opposite of what im saying.

no.

no.

where i come down is i value equality over convenience.
Thanks for the answer. I think we agree by and large.

Not sure what you mean by "I value equality over convenience" though.

As a heads up, your post really did seem to suggest a different point of view, seemingly making light of these 'dudes' and their 'white power' signaling.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

ahh ok yes, thanks.

id rather have everyone treated equal- it's what (i think!) our founding docs say. though that's been in dispute before! :P :oops: :oops:

what i dont support is convenience. racism against a person of a certain color = not ok; yet racism against a person of a certain color = ok.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Bandito

Post by Bandito »

thatsmell wrote:The original snarky, gotcha headline doesn’t help the NYT.

“Nikki Haley’s View of New York Is Priceless. Her Curtains? $52,701.”

The headline writer should be demoted. Pretty irresponsible. It’s crap like this that gives reporters a hard time in the field and give Trump’s bs credibility.
This is how stupid Democrats are. This is completely fake news as they were purchased by the Obama Admin. This is why a majority of Americans don't trust the media or Democrat politiicians.
Farfromgeneva is a sissy soy boy
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

New Yorker - getting dissed by the NYT for the quality of their reporting on the second Kav accusation.

Is this another Rolling Stone level of journalism?

if so, will they ever learn....?
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Bandito wrote:
thatsmell wrote:The original snarky, gotcha headline doesn’t help the NYT.

“Nikki Haley’s View of New York Is Priceless. Her Curtains? $52,701.”

The headline writer should be demoted. Pretty irresponsible. It’s crap like this that gives reporters a hard time in the field and give Trump’s bs credibility.
This is how stupid Democrats are. This is completely fake news as they were purchased by the Obama Admin. This is why a majority of Americans don't trust the media or Democrat politiicians.
Chinese companies, along with some House of Sauds, are using burner cards to buy up Michelle Obama's book tour tickets. Paid 'extras' will fill the seats. Fact, that will go unreported. Wanna take a wild guess how many members of the press will take a poll of the attendees, especially the $3k floor seaters? Hope the weather for Social D. is good in Hampton Beach, but the strippers will probably be gone with this cold weather push. HUH
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Ronan and Jane found other witnesses and the victim actually spoke to them. The Times Team did not accomplish that. The New Yorker reached the required standard. Times, no. This should cheer you. The media is careful. Frank’s boy is Batman to victims of sexual assault and very careful not to risk that.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
ChairmanOfTheBoard

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/26/billion ... -time.html
The billionaire LA Times owner calls social media the 'cancer of our time'
Social platforms may have revolutionized how people get information, but they've also been criticized for spreading "fake news."
"The short attention span we're creating in this millennium is actually very dangerous," says the owner of the LA Times.

Late last year, ex-Facebook executive Chamath Palihapitiya said on CNBC that social media is creating a society that confuses "popularity" with "truth."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ChairmanOfTheBoard wrote:https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/26/billion ... -time.html
The billionaire LA Times owner calls social media the 'cancer of our time'
Social platforms may have revolutionized how people get information, but they've also been criticized for spreading "fake news."
"The short attention span we're creating in this millennium is actually very dangerous," says the owner of the LA Times.

Late last year, ex-Facebook executive Chamath Palihapitiya said on CNBC that social media is creating a society that confuses "popularity" with "truth."
I have been saying this for years.......
“I wish you would!”
ChairmanOfTheBoard

same. agreed
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

The attached article delves deep into this topic of the impact of social media and how we as a society decide on "truth": https://www.nationalaffairs.com/publica ... -knowledge

The writer makes a lot of very good points - although there are several places where I think he gets defensive an a little myopic.
asked about Vice President Dick Cheney's insinuations that Kerry's election would lead to a devastating attack on the United States. "Well," replied Trump, "it's a terrible statement unless he gets away with it." With that extraordinary declaration, Trump showed himself to be an attentive student of disinformation and its operative principle: Reality is what you can get away with.
This is the problem of social epistemology, which concerns itself with how societies come to some kind of public understanding about truth. It is a fundamental problem for every culture and country, and the attempts to resolve it go back at least to Plato,
The answer is that we need an elite consensus, and hopefully also something approaching a public consensus, on the method of validating propositions. We needn't and can't all agree that the same things are true, but a critical mass needs to agree on what it is we do that distinguishes truth from falsehood, and more important, on who does it.
Who can be trusted to resolve questions about objective truth? The best answer turns out to be no one in particular. The greatest of human social networks was born centuries ago, in the wake of the chaos and creedal wars that raged across Europe after the invention of the printing press (the original disruptive information technology).
One rule is that any hypothesis can be floated. That's free speech. But another rule is that a hypothesis can join reality only insofar as it persuades people after withstanding vigorous questioning and criticism. That's social testing. Only those propositions that are broadly agreed to have withstood testing over time qualify as knowledge, and even they stand only unless and until debunked.

The community that follows these rules is defined by its values and practices, not by its borders, and it is by no means limited to scholars and scientists. It also includes journalism, the courts, law enforcement, and the intelligence community
(although in that last passage, I think he puts forward a rather high-minded version of today's established media...)
To protect the wide end of the funnel, we disallow censorship. We say: Alt-truth is never criminalized. At the same time, to protect the narrow end of the funnel, we regulate influence. We say: Alt-truth is always ignored. You can believe and say whatever you want. But if your beliefs don't check out, or if you don't submit them for checking, you can't expect anyone else to publish, care about, or even notice what you think. Striking this balance is difficult, and maintaining it involves a lot of implicit social cooperation. The constitution of knowledge requires high degrees of both toleration and discipline, neither of which is easy to come by.
the implications of troll epistemology come into sharper focus. By insisting that all the fact checkers and hypothesis testers out there are phonies, trolls discredit the very possibility of a socially validated reality, and open the door to tribal knowledge, personal knowledge, partisan knowledge, and other manifestations of epistemic anarchy. By spreading lies and disinformation on an industrial scale, they sow confusion about what might or might not be true, and about who can be relied on to discern the difference, and about whether there is any difference. By being willing to say anything, they exploit shock and outrage to seize attention and hijack the public conversation.
First, social media created a distribution platform for disinformation. Putting stuff out there costs effectively nothing. Mobilizing troll armies of humans and bots is easy and cheap.

Second, software learned to hack our brains. Sophisticated algorithms and granular data allowed messages and images to be minutely tuned and targeted.

Third, the clickbait economy created a business model. Disinformation went from vandalistic to profitable
Charges that academia, journalism, and other evidence-based enterprises are bogus, biased, illegitimate, racist, oppressive, secular-humanist, and so on are nothing new, and they contain important grains of truth. Although the marvel of our knowledge-making institutions is how well they have functioned (especially compared to the alternatives), it's reasonable to worry about, for example, liberal bias in traditional media and a replication crisis in establishment science. The answer, however, is to remediate the defects, not to trash the institutions.
And so if universities are rackets, merely imposing some opinions on everyone else or pursuing someone's political agenda, then the constitution of knowledge is a racket, too. If universities foster cultures of conformity rather than of criticism, if they traffic in politicized orthodoxies and secular religions, then the winner is not social justice but trolling. Which is all downside.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Fair being fair, Fox News should be congratulated for recognizing a problem and do something about it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fox-n ... spartandhp
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu72 wrote:Fair being fair, Fox News should be congratulated for recognizing a problem and do something about it.

Good riddance.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Wow. Rosey O'Donnell sounds calm, rational & reasonable, ...compared to Nicole Wallace & Steve Schmidt. TDS.

Maybe they should have groomed her as McCain's VP candidate.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Rosie is much sharper than Potus and a far more decent human being. After 9/11 Trump claimed a loss and took 150k for himself. Rosie suffered a loss and gave NYC a million bucks. Schmidt must really make you squirm, huh?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Typical Lax Dad wrote:
jhu72 wrote:Fair being fair, Fox News should be congratulated for recognizing a problem and do something about it.

Good riddance.
If fair's fair, the guy never should have been invited onto a legitimate news outlet in the first place. Oh, wait....
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Trump thinks it’s awesome to body slam a reporter. Not that he could do it. He has to drive his golf cart on the greens because he’s such a lump of blubber.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Trinity wrote:Trump thinks it’s awesome to body slam a reporter. Not that he could do it. He has to drive his golf cart on the greens because he’s such a lump of blubber.

These your peeps, trinity? Didn't see this on Maddow or Coopers shows, did you? Morning joe?

https://abcstlouis.com/news/nation-worl ... d-violence
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Trinity wrote:Trump thinks it’s awesome to body slam a reporter. Not that he could do it. He has to drive his golf cart on the greens because he’s such a lump of blubber.
Mr Gianforte, 56, pleaded guilty to assaulting a journalist from the UK's Guardian newspaper on the eve of his election last year.

He was ordered to pay $385 (£304), complete 40 hours of community service and 20 hours of anger management counselling.
Not the least bit surprising our Liar-in-Chief would support a clown like Gianforte.

Return to “POLITICS”