Brown 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Brown 2024

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:28 pm
Laxnation wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm Coaching is the main problem for several reasons. The offensive coaches do not know how to utilize the talent they have, the offense is predictable and easy to defend, players are undisciplined with stupid turnovers and they don't seem to value fast ball movement.
Not trying to be a dick from another school here, but wasn't Daly supposed to be some sort of D3 offensive genius who'd won multiple titles? Hired to continue Tiffany's run-&-gun style that was one foot away from a D1 national championship? Have I got all that wrong, or is D1 just too different a nut from D3? (Genuinely asking)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM

Scott Nelson must’ve been Buddhist and reincarnated!

Of course there a weird super exaggerated aura around everything Tufts lacrosse it seems so not all on brown fans z
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Laxnation wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm Coaching is the main problem for several reasons. The offensive coaches do not know how to utilize the talent they have, the offense is predictable and easy to defend, players are undisciplined with stupid turnovers and they don't seem to value fast ball movement.
Not trying to be a dick from another school here, but wasn't Daly supposed to be some sort of D3 offensive genius who'd won multiple titles? Hired to continue Tiffany's run-&-gun style that was one foot away from a D1 national championship? Have I got all that wrong, or is D1 just too different a nut from D3? (Genuinely asking)
Kirwan or Daly?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

I don't know enough lax history, but have there been a lot of coaching success stories going D3 to D1? Urick. Brown's previous D3 hire (also a 3x National Champion) did nothing on College Hill. As a non-lacrosse-player, how much does Daly contribute to Xs & Os compared to his defining program culture?

I do know there are no institutions knocking down the doors to steal away Brown's ACs. So how much is coaching vs recruiting? And how well is recruiting 1) identifying talent, 2) attracting talent, 3) working with admissions? That's where the Athletic Director earns his $$$: figuring out why a program is failing.

The run & gun was an outlier style before the shot clock and teams trying it had an advantage. Now it's not such an outlier, not such an advantage.

Brown's made 4 ncaa tourneys in the last 27-ish years, gotten past the first round once. We want better, but we are reacting is if what we're seeing is out of the ordinary. Sadly it's not. Someone close to the program says the next recruiting class is strong. Good thing!
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Also found this:

https://laxallstars.com/brown-lacrosses ... aly-years/

Seems like it's just hard to transfer D3 success to D1.

IIRC, Tiffany's final-four team also benefited from a great FOGO and a great goalie. Given that, you can probably run any damn style you want and be successful.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Mike Daly can coach.

His results at Brown have been disappointing.

Both things can be true.

I am sure it’s real tempting to fall into the D3 to D1 narrative trap. Don’t do it. You are better than that, Brown fans.

If you go through Brown’s year over year results, there were some lean years with Lars as well. Perhaps the fix is more institution based than coaching based. Just my two cents.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Admin support: endowed coaching chair, new training & office facility, indoor practice facility (not full-field) budgeted, previous AD was a lacrosse player.
Now this doesn't prove admin support, but it sure does imply admin support.
A while back I knew a Brown Assistant AD- not involved in lacrosse, and that person said Brown's M.O. for years was: cut a new coach some admissions slack for 3-5 years, and then conditions would tighten up. This was a while ago, but not ancient history. I want to believe it's not M.O. now.

I looked at Shay's record at Yale, and it took 7 years to get clearly above .500. Sadly for Bruno, our resources can't match Yale's potential resources if they chose to use them. He was hired almost a generation ago (yow!) and the lacrosse world is different.
But Brown's program doesn't look like it's treading water or slowly getting better. It looks like it is going backwards. And this year the team's top 2 offensive players are transfers. Transfers, like professional free agents, are for filling holes, rounding out rosters, not building programs. It's not a promising look.
My criticism is based on what other posters here, who mostly seem to be closer to knowing the program and the sport (my experience is middle-school, wood shaft, first STX plastic head 😂) say is a talented roster. If Brown's men's lacrosse team is talented enough to compete in the IL, coaching is the issue.
baylax72

Post by baylax72 »

The below is from Quint K's weekly top 20 released this morning. Am I reading this right that Brown is not in the top 73 D1 teams in scoring offense? The Penn numbers tell a compelling story given their success so far this year.

Ivy Scoring defense national rank (73 teams rated)

Penn 14
Princeton 25
Harvard 42
Brown 47
Dartmouth 56
Yale 60
Cornell 65

Ivy Scoring Offense national rank

Yale 2
Cornell 3
Harvard 4
Princeton 21
Dartmouth 48
Penn 52
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

baylax72 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:43 am The below is from Quint K's weekly top 20 released this morning. Am I reading this right that Brown is not in the top 73 D1 teams in scoring offense? The Penn numbers tell a compelling story given their success so far this year.

Penn 14
Princeton 25
Harvard 42
Brown 47
Dartmouth 56
Yale 60
Cornell 65

Yale 2
Cornell 3
Harvard 4
Princeton 21
Dartmouth 48
Penn 52
ncaa site Brown scoring defense 54, scoring offense 68. All the numbers a bit different than Quint's. Maybe Q's from before this weekend?

Lax Reference defense efficiency 57, offense efficiency 68
BrownDad

Post by BrownDad »

bearlaxfan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:07 am
baylax72 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:43 am The below is from Quint K's weekly top 20 released this morning. Am I reading this right that Brown is not in the top 73 D1 teams in scoring offense? The Penn numbers tell a compelling story given their success so far this year.

Penn 14
Princeton 25
Harvard 42
Brown 47
Dartmouth 56
Yale 60
Cornell 65

Yale 2
Cornell 3
Harvard 4
Princeton 21
Dartmouth 48
Penn 52
ncaa site Brown scoring defense 54, scoring offense 68. All the numbers a bit different than Quint's. Maybe Q's from before this weekend?

I was at the game on Saturday and I kept hearing one of the Brown fans yelling to "set it up" when we were on offense. I kept thinking to myself "set up what?" IMO our offense is better when we're in transition, not when we're trying to "run a play". And yes I realize how ridiculous that observation is.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

BrownDad wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:33 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:07 am

Penn 14
Princeton 25
Harvard 42
Brown 47
Dartmouth 56
Yale 60
Cornell 65

Yale 2
Cornell 3
Harvard 4
Princeton 21
Dartmouth 48
Penn 52

I was at the game on Saturday and I kept hearing one of the Brown fans yelling to "set it up" when we were on offense. I kept thinking to myself "set up what?" IMO our offense is better when we're in transition, not when we're trying to "run a play". And yes I realize how ridiculous that observation is.
Hey they DID change up the set offense: #29 dodged to the middle, not down the alley as previously! ;)

They don't let the SSDMs shoot enough in transition! As long as there's a backup, guys, let 'er rip!

After intense video study of the win, I've determined that for future success we require Larken Kemp to attend and continue harassing refs and the opposition H.C. as he did in the UMass game.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Last time we had a record like this is when Brown went 2-11 in 2006 under Scott Nelson. That was the worst record in the history of the program. Hoping we don’t match that “record.”
Laxnation

Post by Laxnation »

Brownlax wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:57 pm Last time we had a record like this is when Brown went 2-11 in 2006 under Scott Nelson. That was the worst record in the history of the program. Hoping we don’t match that “record.”
I don't see them winning another game. Daly tinkers with the offensive line up weekly instead of playing his best players to build chemistry. The coaches have the minds of children and switch players around instead of simply acknowledging that their out dated offense will never work with the personal they have. Defensives are on their best dodging midfielders like fly's on you know what and are not worried about the attack at all. Another poster said that Daly is paid from an endowment, I hope he hasn't sold out because of it. This team has a few players that could start anywhere, what a shame.
White Shoes

Post by White Shoes »

Good point about not pressing the transition game. D short stick middies and poles seem to always pull it out and wait for the substitutions. What happened to the famous Brown State and/or Tufts run and gun? Still not much of a passing game. 9 games in and still no one with 10 or more assists. Only 2 players have more than 4. Our offensive efficiency, goals per offensive possessions, is better than only 7 teams in DI. 2024 is guaranteed to have a losing record now, so that makes 4 losing records out of the last 6 full seasons. Something has to change.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:40 pm After intense video study of the win, I've determined that for future success we require Larken Kemp to attend and continue harassing refs and the opposition H.C. as he did in the UMass game.
Or quietly suit up. He was a fun one to watch!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Brown at CU Saturday, after Big Red's wild win yesterday and the upcoming CU game Sunday 4/14 vs ND: TRAP GAME!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

bearlaxfan wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:48 am Brown at CU Saturday, after Big Red's wild win yesterday and the upcoming CU game Sunday 4/14 vs ND: TRAP GAME!
ETA: Anyone else finding Brown's athletic webpages have interminable download times?
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

Can we salvage this year? Absent winning every game the rest of the way - interested in -
1. Thoughts final record - This year
2. What does the future hold? What is needed to win?
3. What is considered improvement this year?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

IvyBrown wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:24 pm Can we salvage this year? Absent winning every game the rest of the way - interested in -
1. Thoughts final record - This year
2. What does the future hold? What is needed to win?
3. What is considered improvement this year?

Final record? Dartmouth's wins so far have been Holy Cross, Siena, Vermont. Will Brown be favored at home against Big Green? UMass win is stronger than Dartmouth's, but it's pretty lonely. Bryant's wins to date: PC, BU, Manhattan, Fairfield, UMass Lowell, NJIT. Brown gets them in Providence.
In the IL games, does anyone think there will be a repeat of 2022? Can Bears get to 4 wins total? Dartmouth, Bryant, one other Ivy pickoff? The Dartmouth game is the only one they might be favored in, given current records.

Future? Have you seen some of the freshmen on display around the rest of IL this year?

What is considered improvement? Wins. Getting to 10 goals scored before opposition reserves are getting some playing time, too. The D isn't giving up as many wide open crease goals as they were early this year. That's been tightened up.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:12 pm The Dartmouth game is the only one they might be favored in, given current records.
Massey has Brown as a big favorite over Dartmouth and a slight favorite over Bryant:
https://masseyratings.com/clax2024/933
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:48 am Brown at CU Saturday, after Big Red's wild win yesterday and the upcoming CU game Sunday 4/14 vs ND: TRAP GAME!
Actually, I thought the Syracuse game was the "trap" game, as to me, the most important games are the IVY games and trying to not only get into the ILT but also host. Winning the ILT takes it out of the hands of the CHC, which stands for Cornell Hating Committee.

So in that regards, our next "trap" game is against the #1 team in the country.

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”