Possible face-off changes

D1 Mens Lacrosse
IvyBrown

Re: Possible face-off changes

Post by IvyBrown »

If every time a team scored in basketball would you like to have the two centers do a jump ball at center court?

Feel like some tweaks are inevitable

I like to FOGOs but it is a bit of an odd rule no?
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

IvyBrown wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:36 pm If every time a team scored in basketball would you like to have the two centers do a jump ball at center court?

Are we really back to this? No face-offs was tried in 1979. The team scored upon got possession at midfield after a goal. It was soooooo bad it lasted a single year.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

IvyBrown wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:36 pm If every time a team scored in basketball would you like to have the two centers do a jump ball at center court?

are they reducing tv timeouts, the 35 fouls per game and 30-40 free throws next year, all of which stop the game interminably? it takes 2 hours to play a 60 minute lacrosse game, you'd be very fortunate to get out @ 2 hours for a 40 minute hoops game.

they're different games. you may like sixes, tho.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

It’s an exciting part of the game. I think it has outsized impact though. Don’t know how to fix it . Maybe every 2 goals have a face off ?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:35 pm It’s an exciting part of the game. I think it has outsized impact though. Don’t know how to fix it . Maybe every 2 goals have a face off ?
fix what? one set of solutions for coaches that want their numbers "fixed" is to coach up wing play (undercoached), work harder at tieing up exits briefly (a lot allowed nowadays) and play out the faceoff and pressure longer.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:45 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:35 pm It’s an exciting part of the game. I think it has outsized impact though. Don’t know how to fix it . Maybe every 2 goals have a face off ?
fix what? one set of solutions for coaches that want their numbers "fixed" is to coach up wing play (undercoached), work harder at tieing up exits briefly (a lot allowed nowadays) and play out the faceoff and pressure longer.
+1
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

What if they ban the pinch and pop? You can still win it forward to yourself, but every faceoff has to be a groundball pick up.

In 2015 they stopped letting fogo's carry the ball in the back of their sticks, in hope that'd make for more scrums. It didn't exactly work- but maybe it could help here?

I think most people just have a problem when a fogo is good enough to pinch and pop to himself everytime... when wings dont even get a chance at the gb. At least now, you're making the fogo pick up a gb (sometimes similar to a baby's first steps). Which may lead to more scrums / equal playing field. For example, that SJU fogo that transferred in does really well on pinch and pops, but looks nervous when trying to pick up gb's when he doesn't win it cleanly.

Idk what the answer is here. But I do know that I don't want to see the clamp get replaced by lasers. I also don't want to see the faceoff get banned, completely.
Last edited by GaitsRightHand on Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:55 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:45 pm
+1
+100
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:25 pm No further questions at this time.
https://twitter.com/FlowGo37/status/1775333647211438107
What does this post mean? And why , in a game that had 40 face offs, do these two warrant scrutiny? Both goals were scored because of defensive breakdowns and strategic errors.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Chousnake wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:08 pm
What does this post mean? And why , in a game that had 40 face offs, do these two warrant scrutiny? Both goals were scored because of defensive breakdowns and strategic errors.
3 goals scored in 30 seconds or less. 1 to tie, 1 to win it, 1 for it to be tied again and sent to OT. I dont think it gets much better than that?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Maybe we should do away with goalies...no goalies allowed in basketball and goalies can have an outsized impact on the game... ;)

Seriously, having a great face-off group, whether a win it to yourself guy or a battle it out group should matter...but we keep seeing contests where the initial face-off is won by the 'better' FOGO, and yet the possession is so contested, ride is so hard, that early turnovers end up resulting in similar actual offensive possessions.

Obviously dominating that battle is an advantage. Being dominated is a disadvantage.

But nevertheless, a hot goalie and stout defense can create the stops necessary to create enough O chances to win if the O is efficient...it's a team game.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:14 pm Maybe we should do away with goalies...no goalies allowed in basketball and goalies can have an outsized impact on the game... ;)

Seriously, having a great face-off group, whether a win it to yourself guy or a battle it out group should matter...but we keep seeing contests where the initial face-off is won by the 'better' FOGO, and yet the possession is so contested, ride is so hard, that early turnovers end up resulting in similar actual offensive possessions.

Obviously dominating that battle is an advantage. Being dominated is a disadvantage.

But nevertheless, a hot goalie and stout defense can create the stops necessary to create enough O chances to win if the O is efficient...it's a team game.
Coaching the face-off unit is just as important as finding a good face-off man.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Olderbarndog

Post by Olderbarndog »

Allow one sub following a faceoff. LSM or FOGO? Two shorts on the wings?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:29 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:14 pm Maybe we should do away with goalies...no goalies allowed in basketball and goalies can have an outsized impact on the game... ;)

So is officiating the faceoff, which does not happen.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
coda

Post by coda »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:03 pm What if they ban the pinch and pop? You can still win it forward to yourself, but every faceoff has to be a groundball pick up.

In 2015 they stopped letting fogo's carry the ball in the back of their sticks, in hope that'd make for more scrums. It didn't exactly work- but maybe it could help here?

I think most people just have a problem when a fogo is good enough to pinch and pop to himself everytime... when wings dont even get a chance at the gb. At least now, you're making the fogo pick up a gb (sometimes similar to a baby's first steps). Which may lead to more scrums / equal playing field. For example, that SJU fogo that transferred in does really well on pinch and pops, but looks nervous when trying to pick up gb's when he doesn't win it cleanly.

Idk what the answer is here. But I do know that I don't want to see the clamp get replaced by lasers. I also don't want to see the faceoff get banned, completely.
I think this is what people really want. Not to completely ban face-offs, but to get away from the pinch and pop. I think people would be happy if the only move was as basically a laser. But I suspect even in that circumstances, there will be outliers where a single fogo changes the game
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:04 pm

i'm with you on a lot of stuff, youth. but not this. guys make calls, and they miss calls occasionally. but not more frequently on faceoffs.. and it's a tough adjudication.

most coaches with or without a stud mail it in. period.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:14 pm
Chousnake wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:08 pm
3 goals scored in 30 seconds or less. 1 to tie, 1 to win it, 1 for it to be tied again and sent to OT. I dont think it gets much better than that?
it doesn't . but that'll get no play.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:37 pm

i'm with you on a lot of stuff, youth. but not this. guys make calls, and they miss calls occasionally. but not more frequently on faceoffs.. and it's a tough adjudication.

No doubt, calls are missed, I get that...but that does not discount we are missing an opportunity to clean it up without changing the rules. I just believe the officials need better positioning and mechanics for this event. With a 3 man team, after the ref sets the ball, maybe he does not back out behind players, but continues to straddle the midline with the another official working behind.....thinking line judge and back judge like football. Every game that has a camera view down the line, you clearly see players setting up in a 'leaning' (advantage) position.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
laxfanatic

Post by laxfanatic »

Leave it alone! Stop changing the rules with the faceoff every year. Coach them counter moves. Its the only position on the field where the two guys battle it out together and the faceoff guys are the most humble of all the players on the field!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:13 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:37 pm

No doubt, calls are missed, I get that...but that does not discount we are missing an opportunity to clean it up without changing the rules. I just believe the officials need better positioning and mechanics for this event. With a 3 man team, after the ref sets the ball, maybe he does not back out behind players, but continues to straddle the midline with the another official working behind.....thinking line judge and back judge like football. Every game that has a camera view down the line, you clearly see players setting up in a 'leaning' (advantage) position.
rubbin's racin'.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”