Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
laxfan9999

Re: Games Today

Post by laxfan9999 »

Is O’Grady hurt? She didn’t play the last couple of games but then came in late against Maryland.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Weather forecast for tomorrow's Cuse-Cornell game.....very bummed about this.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/forec ... 4ecad699eb
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

hmmm wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:46 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:39 pm
hmmm wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:20 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:19 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:41 pm
MolonLaxe wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:11 pm Speaking of Hopkins, I think was happy to see them beat JMU, but missed the game. Should be an interesting last 4 games of the regular season coming up. I can see winning 2, but I think Maryland kills them and I’d slightly favor Michigan, but they could pull off the upset. Thoughts on JHU?
I'm curious--why do you suppose this?

The replay is still up if you have a chance to watch it. They were very impressive--Hop was. If they go at the Terps like they went at the Dukes, they'll win.

https://www.centennialconference.tv/?B=936442
I think Hopkins has a good team for sure. McCormack has done a great job in his first season there. Picking up Doucette was a no brainer—she’s a veteran leader that can help that defense so much. My hope is they come in hot like they did against JMU and I’m hoping for a top game of the year matchup.

I’d give Hopkins a slight edge offensively in this game, but Hopkins doesn’t have a defense as good as Maryland’s. Hopkins lost two close games against two teams with top defenses (Cuse and Denver). They dropped another close one to a team with a very similar defense level (Navy).

I think Maryland has a significant edge defensively over Hopkins. Sterling is a little better than Doucette and the overall defense is better.

If the D plays up to potential, I don’t see Hopkins getting a ton of goals in this matchup. Hence, edge for Maryland, as they did a good job of putting up points on a lot of solid defenses this year, Michigan included.
You named the Hopkins men’s team losses. Hop lost to Loyola, Penn and Northwestern.

4 of the last 5 MD/Hop games have been one goal MD wins. Tough to think Hop wins since it’s never happened, but thinking MD “kills them” is an interesting take. Who has MD killed this year
Thanks for catching my error on the games! I love watching the men’s team this season and I messed up the losses in my head.

What’s the definition of kills them in this case? What’s the requirement for GD? 10+? 6-8+? They had a few big wins against lesser comp. I don’t have a definitive answer, but I’m anticipating an opportunity for a letdown/collapse by Hopkins. It’s still a transition situation with the coaching staff and I’m not expecting a miracle here.

My hope is Hopkins beats the brakes off of Maryland. I’m no MD fan and I’d like to see the underdog pull off a big win here. However, I just don’t see it happening with how this season is going.
You do realize this is TM's second season at Hop right?
Yes, I do. No coach has all of his own players in year 2 unless you're Dion Sanders.
NULax2

Post by NULax2 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:22 am
I’m somewhat stunned by the amount of focus on coastal Carolina. It’s the 36th best regional university in the south according to usnews. I hadn’t heard of many of the schools ranked above it and I wager most posters on this board haven’t either. Conway is not in the top 36 prettiest college towns in the south. It’s a mid tier-ish women’s lacrosse program. Playing lacrosse doesn’t exactly help your chances of admission since they let in 80 percent of applicants anyway!

What’s the fascination?
[/quote]

It's 10 miles to Myrtle Beach. I didn't know that until I visited MB. :lol:
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

DMac wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:39 am Weather forecast for tomorrow's Cuse-Cornell game.....very bummed about this.
Wouldn’t seem right if we didn’t have some semisolid chunks of slushy sh*t flying sideways to welcome the Orange. We are the consummate hosts here in I-town. Even Syracuse people complain about the weather here. Don't worry though, D, there are plenty of places to get warm (and by plenty I mean all the running cars in the lot). Tailgate, party favors and ticket are all on me if you make the trip.

Real feel in the 30s with gusts over 20 mph out of the East(!) will make it spicy for one and all, though we might get a little wind block from the Schoellkopf crescent. Orange best not look past this one… yellCornell
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

NULax2 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:05 pm
I’m somewhat stunned by the amount of focus on coastal Carolina. It’s the 36th best regional university in the south according to usnews. I hadn’t heard of many of the schools ranked above it and I wager most posters on this board haven’t either. Conway is not in the top 36 prettiest college towns in the south. It’s a mid tier-ish women’s lacrosse program. Playing lacrosse doesn’t exactly help your chances of admission since they let in 80 percent of applicants anyway!

What’s the fascination?

My son loves it. But thank you for letting me know he’s mediocre. 😁.
Last edited by Deacon022 on Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

Deacon022 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:27 pm

What’s the fascination?

And full disclosure. He chose CCU over South Carolina after being accepted and they had a 30% acceptance rate last year. So yes. I already knew he is a moron.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Deacon022 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:29 pm

What’s the fascination?

And full disclosure. He chose CCU over South Carolina after being accepted and they had a 30% acceptance rate last year. So yes. I already knew he is a moron.
Sounds to me like your son is aware that he has 65 or so years of being an adult, and wants to have some fun, combined with school work, for a while. Not moronic. A choice. Totally get it.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:34 pm

What’s the fascination?

Sounds to me like your son is aware that he has 65 or so years of being an adult, and wants to have some fun, combined with school work, for a while. Not moronic. A choice. Totally get it.
Yes. I was just making a joke. He has a good head in his shoulders. Although I think he would have a ball at UofSC as well. He realized (told by family member) it didn’t matter if he goes to SC or CCU. Where he wants to get into after college can be hook based and he has it. So unless he was going to Cornell or an Ivy it wouldn’t have mattered. Plans to graduate there and then go to a graduate school and move on. Nah, After thinking about it he’s back to being a moron. My son didn’t realize the hockey rink was two hours from school in Conway.
DMac

Post by DMac »

GratefulRed wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:15 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:39 am Weather forecast for tomorrow's Cuse-Cornell game.....very bummed about this.
Wouldn’t seem right if we didn’t have some semisolid chunks of slushy sh*t flying sideways to welcome the Orange. We are the consummate hosts here in I-town. Even Syracuse people complain about the weather here. Don't worry though, D, there are plenty of places to get warm (and by plenty I mean all the running cars in the lot). Tailgate, party favors and ticket are all on me if you make the trip.

Real feel in the 30s with gusts over 20 mph out of the East(!) will make it spicy for one and all, though we might get a little wind block from the Schoellkopf crescent. Orange best not look past this one… yellCornell
Right, consummate hosts for ice sculpturers and waterproof parka salesman.
Lived in I-town for a year...then I moved to Va Beach.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

What’s the fascination?

Obviously have no idea what what into your son’s decision process. Playing women’s lacrosse probably wasn’t part of his consideration. 😉

But for those who are trying to use their lacrosse prowess to uplevel their school options, coastal doesn’t seem like an obvious choice.

And remain surprised so many posters on this board are paying a lot of attention to their coaching staff!!
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

What’s the fascination?

Obviously have no idea what what into your son’s decision process. Playing women’s lacrosse probably wasn’t part of his consideration. 😉

But for those who are trying to use their lacrosse prowess to uplevel their school options, coastal doesn’t seem like an obvious choice.

And remain surprised so many posters on this board are paying a lot of attention to their coaching staff!!
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:18 pm

What’s the fascination?

Not all kids are looking to "level up" their college by using lacrosse. IMO this is partially why Duke under performs year in and year out now. Great tool to get into Duke, but many of those kids don't want to play (or so it seems).

IWLCA Sports Recruits had Coastal Carolina as the #3 most favorited school for 2023. Why?

1. Close to the beach (mentioned already)
2. Great social media presence selling who and what the team is
3. Probably considered a "party" school
4. Coaching staff (see below)
5. Their baseball team is a powerhouse team and won a National Championship about 7 years ago--if you're a college baseball fan, you 100% know Coastal as a baseball school
6. Coastal is putting money into everything to grow the school and to grow the lacrosse program--that explains the social account posts

Coastal historically gets crapped on by the forum and other forums as a "not serious" lacrosse school, a potentially poor academic school, or just a party school. It's the bane of existence for many a parent on the East Coast and for some, it's considered shameful to send a kid to Coastal (see poor dad above that has a "moron" son that plays hockey :lol: ). The change of the head coach a few years ago was intriguing based on her background (Loyola player and former coach at Furman) and her associate head coach that played for Northwestern (and won a national championship while there). Then they hired Jill Girardi (NU grad and AU Pro) as an assistant for the 2023 season (but she left for Hopkins in the summer).

The jury is (partially) out on if the team is a complete bust, a disappointment, or just about anything else based on early performances. But let's not overthink it and let's move on.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

MolonLaxe wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:57 pm

What’s the fascination?

Not all kids are looking to "level up" their college by using lacrosse. IMO this is partially why Duke under performs year in and year out now. Great tool to get into Duke, but many of those kids don't want to play (or so it seems).

IWLCA Sports Recruits had Coastal Carolina as the #3 most favorited school for 2023. Why?

5. Their baseball team is a powerhouse team and won a National Championship about 7 years ago--if you're a college baseball fan, you 100% know Coastal as a baseball school
6. Coastal is putting money into everything to grow the school and to grow the lacrosse program--that explains the social account posts

Coastal historically gets crapped on by the forum and other forums as a "not serious" lacrosse school, a potentially poor academic school, or just a party school. It's the bane of existence for many a parent on the East Coast and for some, it's considered shameful to send a kid to Coastal (see poor dad above that has a "moron" son that plays hockey :lol: ). The change of the head coach a few years ago was intriguing based on her background (Loyola player and former coach at Furman) and her associate head coach that played for Northwestern (and won a national championship while there). Then they hired Jill Girardi (NU grad and AU Pro) as an assistant for the 2023 season (but she left for Hopkins in the summer).

The jury is (partially) out on if the team is a complete bust, a disappointment, or just about anything else based on early performances. But let's not overthink it and let's move on.
Moving on. And thanks for the additional perspective.
BigRedChant

Post by BigRedChant »

Since there is interest in the Coastal program…. A question and a note —

1) somebody mentioned that there was the expectation Coastal would take a step up this year - would making the tourney for the first time count ? (They, of course, have to beat Liberty this Thursday before that talk should really be allowed)

2) I’m not sure why anybody would know this, but since there was talk of the Coastal defense- a team made up of Coastal and Denver commits won the IL committed academy championship last summer beating an all Stanford team in the final game. One of the 23s that is playing a lot now played a significant role on the team. There were also many times that the defense on the field was all future Coastal players.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:57 pm

What’s the fascination?

Should’ve had #7. The football team was ranked in 2021 and 2022. And yes. I was embarrassed to tell people my son chose coastal over Carolina. First words out of everyone’s mouth, “oh. That’s a party school.” Every school in my opinion is a party school if you party.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Syracuse at Cornell at 3:00 today [ESPN+] in cloudy, probably drizzly, cold Ithaca. Can't even go to that killer Farmer's Market.

Back to talking about Coastal Carolina.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Based on what I'm seeing, drizzly might be a nice relief for this one. Red sky in morning and all that...big red sky in Cuse this morning and I think even more red in Ithaca. Scary game in lousy conditions.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:46 am Syracuse at Cornell at 3:00 today [ESPN+] in cloudy, probably drizzly, cold Ithaca. Can't even go to that killer Farmer's Market.

Fair, but let's shift to East Carolina since they play Clemson today. Sitting at 3-8, it appears they lack the success of last year. Others in the thread and forum had them pegged for some success in 2024, but other than some close losses, they aren't getting it done. Are the former supporters hiding in the wings and just keeping quiet, hoping no one noticed? Do we have to call out names?

I haven't watched much of East Carolina to know how they are playing, but it's not optimal. Anyone have any insight???
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:21 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:46 am Syracuse at Cornell at 3:00 today [ESPN+] in cloudy, probably drizzly, cold Ithaca. Can't even go to that killer Farmer's Market.

Fair, but let's shift to East Carolina since they play Clemson today. Sitting at 3-8, it appears they lack the success of last year. Others in the thread and forum had them pegged for some success in 2024, but other than some close losses, they aren't getting it done. Are the former supporters hiding in the wings and just keeping quiet, hoping no one noticed? Do we have to call out names?

I haven't watched much of East Carolina to know how they are playing, but it's not optimal. Anyone have any insight???
Yes! ECU was another “up and comer.”

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”