Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
another fan

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by another fan »

Both defenses stiffened in the 2nd half. Carroll was fantastic— his most painful save being against Long 1 on 1.
Tully did not seem to be seeing the ball early but came alive late and made some big stops.

Poor Gilmartin—he has been having a great season, but slid to Shipley at the end, leaving Rubin, of all people, alone. I also agree that our time management when holding for the last shot seems to kill too much time, leaving us with a poor or no shot. I’d also like to see a change on emo— maybe try 16 for 23. Blake was very good in the middle of the field; unfortunately not so much on d. I thought Jack Parker (24) looked decent in a couple runs as a d mid.

Despite this frustrating loss, I think our D played much better than in prior games. Quick turnaround for Syracuse— currently hanging with ND. LGR
CU77

Post by CU77 »

OK, time for the hockey team to get revenge on Denver and go to the Frozen Four!
Last edited by CU77 on Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

That was just a frustrating game and somewhat ugly game. When the offense was clicking early, the defense (SSDMs) was struggling, Tully was not seeing the ball, and Penn was winning face offs. When the defense settled down, Psylos started winning draws, and Tully came on, the offense went stagnant. I thought Cornell stopped moving the ball in the second half and spent too much time trying to dodge 1 on 1. Penn's defense really stepped up, but with all that talent, 4 goals in 3 quarters is hard to understand after a 6 goal first quarter. There were just too many turnovers. The 1 on 1 dodging led to some desperation plays as the shot clock ran down in the second half. I don't understand why Cornell runs the offense from behind the goal at x when the shot clock gets below 10-15 seconds. When the ball is up top as the shot clock runs down, you can get a shot off. It's not possible to get a shot off behind the cage.

Goldstein has been fantastic, but he had a rough day today with some untimely turnovers and inexplicably passing up a shot at an open net in the 4th quarter.

The game was played on Penn's terms from the 2nd quarter on.

Cornell had a great chance to win in their second OT possession when Long had an open shot from 5 yards out, but Carroll make a great save. The last possession in regulation and the first and third possession in OT were not good, however. They held the ball too long at the end of regulation and didn't get off a shot. The first and third OT possessions ended with turnovers on forced/errant passes. When Cornell gets that many chances to win a game, they usually convert. One of the trademarks of the Buczek era has been the ability to get clutch late game wins . They had opportunities today, but it just didn't go their way and they atypically lost a close one.

Give the defense and Tully credit for a good effort today. Tully really came up big late in the game. Psylos and Petrakis won key draws in the second half.

I have not seen the stats, but it seemed Cornell had too many turnovers and failed clears. Credit again to Psylos for a gritty game.

It would have been nice to open 3-0 in the Ivies against three of the tougher opponents. Now the rest of the season will be spent on the bubble with little room for error.
Last edited by Chousnake on Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Redman2

Post by Redman2 »

Saw the game live

After a rough start, the defense was very stout - especially considering the injuries. Great Cornell crowd - parents, students, alumni. Spirited LGR chants all game. Penn crowd paled in comparison.

Offense seemed stuck after opening quarter. 30 was not a factor - perhaps under the weather? Inexplicably, 30 seemed content to give up the ball without dodging etc. Despite offensive lethargy the Red has great chances to win the game at the end of regulation and in the OTs. I assumed the game was over when 1 got the ball and with a clean look. Ironically, set up by a dodge and pass from 30.

If you would have told me before the game that Penn would score 10 goals in regulation, I would have looked forward to a Big Red win.

A fun game and a great effort.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

After Rubin scored his third goal, I wondered why a pole wasn't assigned to him. His 6th goal was the game winner. The loss of Davis, Wallace and Bozzi has hurt a defense that couldn't afford those hits. Tully had 6 great saves in the 4th quarter to keep the Big Red in the game. Next up: a resurrected Syracuse program that will be favored. Let's see how they do in Ithaca weather unlike dome conditions. I predict Cornell will show up.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Chousnake wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:46 pm That was just a frustrating game and somewhat ugly game. When the offense was clicking early, the defense (SSDMs) was struggling, Tully was not seeing the ball, and Penn was winning face offs. When the defense settled down, Psylos started winning draws, and Tully came on, the offense went stagnant. I thought Cornell stopped moving the ball in the second half and spent too much time trying to dodge 1 on 1. Penn's defense really stepped up, but with all that talent, 4 goals in 3 quarters is hard to understand after a 6 goal first quarter. There were just too many turnovers. The 1 on 1 dodging led to some desperation plays as the shot clock ran down in the second half. I don't understand why Cornell runs the offense from behind the goal at x when the shot clock gets below 10-15 seconds. When the ball is up top as the shot clock runs down, you can get a shot off. It's not possible to get a shot off behind the cage.

Goldstein has been fantastic, but he had a rough day today with some untimely turnovers and inexplicably passing up a shot at an open net in the 4th quarter.

Cornell had a great chance to win in their second OT possession when Long had an open shot from 5 yards out, but Carroll make a great save. The last possession in regulation and the first and third possession in OT were not good, however. They held the ball too long at the end of regulation and didn't get off a shot. The first and third OT possessions ended with turnovers on forced/errant passes. When Cornell gets that many chances to win a game, they usually convert. One of the trademarks of the Buczek era has been the ability to get clutch late game wins . They had opportunities today, but it just didn't go their way and they atypically lost a close one.

Give the defense and Tully credit for a good effort today. Tully really came up big late in the game. Psylos and Petrakis won key draws in the second half.

I have not seen the stats, but it seemed Cornell had too many turnovers and failed clears. Credit again to Psylos for a gritty game.

It would have been nice to open 3-0 in the Ivies against three of the tougher opponents. Now the rest of the season will be spent on the bubble with little room for error.
Wow, Cornell on the bubble, imagine that?
For me "Cornell on the bubble" means, you get this from the committee;

"The team from Ithaca had a great season and beat some great teams BUT they just didn't quite do enough when compared to other teams"

So what does that mean? Simple, make sure you get in the Ivy League Tournament and win it, otherwise as usual, Cornell is Bubble OUT.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:18 am
Chousnake wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:46 pm That was just a frustrating game and somewhat ugly game. When the offense was clicking early, the defense (SSDMs) was struggling, Tully was not seeing the ball, and Penn was winning face offs. When the defense settled down, Psylos started winning draws, and Tully came on, the offense went stagnant. I thought Cornell stopped moving the ball in the second half and spent too much time trying to dodge 1 on 1. Penn's defense really stepped up, but with all that talent, 4 goals in 3 quarters is hard to understand after a 6 goal first quarter. There were just too many turnovers. The 1 on 1 dodging led to some desperation plays as the shot clock ran down in the second half. I don't understand why Cornell runs the offense from behind the goal at x when the shot clock gets below 10-15 seconds. When the ball is up top as the shot clock runs down, you can get a shot off. It's not possible to get a shot off behind the cage.

"The team from Ithaca had a great season and beat some great teams BUT they just didn't quite do enough when compared to other teams"

So what does that mean? Simple, make sure you get in the Ivy League Tournament and win it, otherwise as usual, Cornell is Bubble OUT.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Hmmm, sounds like bitter memories of 2019, when Cornell beat Notre Dame in South Bend and lost in the ILT semis and didn't make the NCAA tourney while the Irish got in (and lost in the first round). This year, a win over Notre Dame is probably worth more, and if you couple beating the Irish with beating Cuse, you are in without winning the ILT. The Ivy is good this year, especially Penn, Princeton, Cornell and Yale. Cornell has already played its three toughest Ivy opponents, and is 2-1 in conference with a very realistic shot at finishing 5-1.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:14 am

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Hmmm, sounds like bitter memories of 2019, when Cornell beat Notre Dame in South Bend and lost in the ILT semis and didn't make the NCAA tourney while the Irish got in (and lost in the first round). This year, a win over Notre Dame is probably worth more, and if you couple beating the Irish with beating Cuse, you are in without winning the ILT. The Ivy is good this year, especially Penn, Princeton, Cornell and Yale. Cornell has already played its three toughest Ivy opponents, and is 2-1 in conference with a very realistic shot at finishing 5-1.
As much as I would love a victory over Cuse Tuesday night here are options to consider and which you prefer:

W vs. Cuse and L vs. Brown
L vs. Cuse and W. Vs Brown

For me, again, I would love a W vs Cuse but of the 2 above, I will take the Latter, and another Ivy win all day.

I know many would argue that beating Cuse would immediately take Cornell off the bubble, but my cynicism toward the selection committee makes me prefer IVY WINS and an ILT win, to take it out of the hands of the committee.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Cornell - Penn...in retrospect.
I thought about the game last night and my first reaction when figuratively replaying the tapes in my mind was that the offense scored 10 goals, caught a few pipes, and faced an excellent goalie who had an excellent day. Not bad. However, when giving the offensive showing more thought, there were really two very different games: 6 goals in the first 6+ minutes (great looks, made things look easy) and 4 goals the remainder of the game, plus two OTs.
What changed? As I initially posted, with Penn's defense extended, Cornell had great success with skip passes and interior passes. Penn's D was spread out and necessitated long slides. They then went to a packed defense, sticks in passing lanes, and made great decisions as to whether/when to slide throughout. The result, lots of tipped and intercepted passes by Cornell's O, no more interior stuff, and no more skips. What could have been done differently? I don't think the issue was lack of ball or player movement. You scheme based on your strengths and what the defense gives you. Cornell kept trying to force slides/rotation with downhill dodges and reversals. But again, Penn's decision making was very good, so not much success. At the end, you could see that Buczek was trying to run a few "set plays" - he had Kelleher (and Wortheim) dodge from behind the cage several times, trying to isolate him or force slides for a possible dish to the wing. Close on a few occasions, but no cigar. More big-little stuff? Perhaps.
Other:
-If before the game someone told me that Psyllos/Petrakis would go over 50%, I would have really liked "our" chances.
-Slowly but surely, the attrition suffered by losing defenders (i.e., Davis, Bozzi, Wallace) is starting to take its toll.
-Tully - just didn't seem to react well to the shots Penn scored on for 3 quarters; granted I think all of them were hands free 10-12 yard stuff which you can't fault a goalie on, but he still didn't seem to react well. Definitely upped his game in the 4th and OT. Regardless, I wonder if we'll see Knust on Tuesday. I say this because of Knust's excellent outing in relief of Ierlan in Cornell's great come from behind win over the Orange two seasons ago. Also, Syracuse runs a dangerous offense and I believe has an excellent F/O game. 'Don't want to damage Tully's confidence.
*No rest for the weary.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:24 am At the end, you could see that Buczek was trying to run a few "set plays" - he had Kelleher (and Wortheim) dodge from behind the cage several times
I would have liked to have seen Long dodge from X.
mfp

Post by mfp »

This is probably pointing out the obvious, but the Penn game highlights the very fine line between success and failure at this level of lacrosse. The Princeton game could easily have resulted in a loss; the Penn and Denver games could easily have resulted in wins. It's feasible that Cornell would be 7-1 at this point in the season (and likely at/near the top of the rankings) and it's also feasible that Cornell would be 4-4. (I'm giving credit that "solid" wins like the one vs. Yale would not change, but that may be a bad assumption. Look at last year when we beat Yale handily during the season and lost handily in the Ivy tournament.)

Now, looking ahead... In terms of the NCAA tournament, being regular season Ivy league champions only matters for how your record impacts RPI. An Ivy win/loss is not distinguished from an out-of-conference win/loss. Unless I don't understand the criteria, the selection committee does not value regular season championships (aside from your win-loss record and your RPI). [To be clear, I think a regular season championship is a huge accomplishment. I would argue that sustained success over the course of a season is more impressive than having two great games to win the league tournament. But I digress...]

On top of that, I don't believe that the selection committee puts weight on close wins/losses—it's the final outcome that matters. We lost to Penn. It doesn't matter that it was in 2OT. We got a win vs. Princeton. It doesn't matter that it took a defensive takeaway and pole goal with less than two seconds remaining. We lost to Denver—the questionable penalties that led to the loss don't matter. All that matters is the scoreboard and we are 5-3.

There are five regular-season games left. Three predicted wins (Brown, Harvard and Dartmouth) and two predicted losses (Syracuse and Notre Dame). If rankings are a good predictor of results, that would leave us at 8-5. Hard to imagine that we make the NCAA tournament with that record (without winning the Ivy tournament). It's pure prognostication, but I see two paths to the NCAA tournament for this team that is good enough to make a run but may not get the opportunity:

1. Win out in the Ivy league and "steal" one game vs. Syracuse or Notre Dame. That would leave put us at 9-4 with an additional high-quality, high-RPI win.

2. If we don't do that—I hate to say it—but it's probably win the Ivy tournament or bust. Well...maybe not "bust" but very much on the bubble, on the outside looking in.

This team is so good most of the time. I think Cornell could make an impact in the NCAA tournament. It would be a shame if this team doesn't get the opportunity to do that.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

mfp wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:31 pm This is probably pointing out the obvious, but the Penn game highlights the very fine line between success and failure at this level of lacrosse. The Princeton game could easily have resulted in a loss; the Penn and Denver games could easily have resulted in wins. It's feasible that Cornell would be 7-1 at this point in the season (and likely at/near the top of the rankings) and it's also feasible that Cornell would be 4-4. (I'm giving credit that "solid" wins like the one vs. Yale would not change, but that may be a bad assumption. Look at last year when we beat Yale handily during the season and lost handily in the Ivy tournament.)

Now, looking ahead... In terms of the NCAA tournament, being regular season Ivy league champions only matters for how your record impacts RPI. An Ivy win/loss is not distinguished from an out-of-conference win/loss. Unless I don't understand the criteria, the selection committee does not value regular season championships (aside from your win-loss record and your RPI). [To be clear, I think a regular season championship is a huge accomplishment. I would argue that sustained success over the course of a season is more impressive than having two great games to win the league tournament. But I digress...]

On top of that, I don't believe that the selection committee puts weight on close wins/losses—it's the final outcome that matters. We lost to Penn. It doesn't matter that it was in 2OT. We got a win vs. Princeton. It doesn't matter that it took a defensive takeaway and pole goal with less than two seconds remaining. We lost to Denver—the questionable penalties that led to the loss don't matter. All that matters is the scoreboard and we are 5-3.

There are five regular-season games left. Three predicted wins (Brown, Harvard and Dartmouth) and two predicted losses (Syracuse and Notre Dame). If rankings are a good predictor of results, that would leave us at 8-5. Hard to imagine that we make the NCAA tournament with that record (without winning the Ivy tournament). It's pure prognostication, but I see two paths to the NCAA tournament for this team that is good enough to make a run but may not get the opportunity:

1. Win out in the Ivy league and "steal" one game vs. Syracuse or Notre Dame. That would leave put us at 9-4 with an additional high-quality, high-RPI win.

2. If we don't do that—I hate to say it—but it's probably win the Ivy tournament or bust. Well...maybe not "bust" but very much on the bubble, on the outside looking in.

This team is so good most of the time. I think Cornell could make an impact in the NCAA tournament. It would be a shame if this team doesn't get the opportunity to do that.
Completely agree. If we lose to both Cuse and ND, then our singular path is an ILT championship.

Split with Cuse and ND, and an ILT
appearance and we are bubble.

Win against both Cuse and ND and we are a lock.

Cornell is a good team but many good teams get left out. I love watching them and they give 100%, and that's all we can ask as fans. The rest is basically let the chips fall where they may.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

mfp wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:31 pm It's pure prognostication, but I see two paths to the NCAA tournament ...
I think your prediction is spot on, except that the "predicted" wins are anything but automatic (i.e., I wouldn't be shocked if Cornell beat Syracuse but lost to Harvard or Brown) and personally, I would still be pretty nervous for Cornell to be sitting @ 9-5 on selection Sunday. In other words, a 4-1 finish with a win over Syracuse or ND, and a loss in the first round of the Ivies, and I think Cornell has to really sweat out the bubble. Remember, a 10-5 Cornell team was on the outside looking in in 2019, despite a number of quality wins over tourney teams.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

ICGrad wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:35 pm
mfp wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:31 pm It's pure prognostication, but I see two paths to the NCAA tournament ...
I think your prediction is spot on, except that the "predicted" wins are anything but automatic (i.e., I wouldn't be shocked if Cornell beat Syracuse but lost to Harvard or Brown) and personally, I would still be pretty nervous for Cornell to be sitting @ 9-5 on selection Sunday. In other words, a 4-1 finish with a win over Syracuse or ND, and a loss in the first round of the Ivies, and I think Cornell has to really sweat out the bubble. Remember, a 10-5 Cornell team was on the outside looking in in 2019, despite a number of quality wins over tourney teams.
That team should’ve been in over 8-8 Hopkins, who barely snuck their way in with a bad resume outside beating Maryland 2x. Was fantastic watching them get embarrassed at ND
mfp

Post by mfp »

ICGrad wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:35 pm
I agree that the predicted wins are not guaranteed. I have watched a little of Harvard’s games against Yale and Princeton. Despite losing three in a row (I think), Harvard is a very good team and will be dangerous against Cornell. Not sure about Brown (up and down this year) and Dartmouth (rebuilding under a new coach), but both have talent and are capable of pulling an upset.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

7-0 Cuse, Red has 2 saves and 2 shots (on or off goal), 4:40 to go Q1
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

….and 1 faceoff win as a result of false start.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
CU77

Post by CU77 »

actually 4 FO wins, 3 by Cuse fault
CU77

Post by CU77 »

With 15 sec to go in Q1, after a LONG delay of officials conferring, Cuse somehow draws two nonreleaseable penalties, one for 1 min and one for 3 min, and their OC Marsh is apparently ejected.

Never seen anything like it.

Red holds the ball to end Q1.

Cuse up 7-2.

Reminder: in 1976, Cornell was down 7-2 to UMd at the half in the national championship game.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:14 am

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Small detail, but ND smoked Hopkins first round that year and lost to Duke in OT in the quarters.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”