Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
njbill

Re: Games Today

Post by njbill »

NULax2 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:16 pm DU pulls it out in the end, scoring 5 straight to win 11 - 10 over GT

lol, like the OSU/PSU game.
Phew. For a second there, I thought we were going to have to start discussing whether Ricky has learned how to coach.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

njbill wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:56 pm
NULax2 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:16 pm DU pulls it out in the end, scoring 5 straight to win 11 - 10 over GT

Phew. For a second there, I thought we were going to have to start discussing whether Ricky has learned how to coach.
No chance of that; get yourself a beer.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Idk. They blew the 3 goal lead at the end but still a good showing by them.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 pm My daughter told me I officially have a problem. I’m watching a D2 game. Tampa vs Florida Southern. Honestly. Not much different than games I’ve watched with middle of the road D1 teams. They seem to turn the ball over less than the Penn State v Lehigh game I saw.
Enjoy those D2 games…..those kids can play. Top 10 are about right where you speak. Usually entertaining games at the top of the table but at the bottom it is hard to watch and there are some overmatched teams in whatever game their playing in.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:49 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 pm Everybody is flawed and everybody is a contender. The talent is spread around and nobody is playing at a consistent and high quality level. Probably the best odds are with a team like Penn loaded with experience and a great blueprint for consistency.
File under: Essexfenwick whistling past the graveyard.

"...Anyone but Northwestern, anyone but Northwestern, please, anyone but Northwestern..."
Northwestern , BC and Loyola with their terp coaches are my second favorites. Anybody but UNC
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:31 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:49 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 pm Everybody is flawed and everybody is a contender. The talent is spread around and nobody is playing at a consistent and high quality level. Probably the best odds are with a team like Penn loaded with experience and a great blueprint for consistency.
File under: Essexfenwick whistling past the graveyard.

"...Anyone but Northwestern, anyone but Northwestern, please, anyone but Northwestern..."
Northwestern , BC and Loyola with their terp coaches are my second favorites. Anybody but UNC
Haha--that's right, you always do go at it with the North Carolina people, don't you?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Bart wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 pm
Relax77 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 pm My daughter told me I officially have a problem. I’m watching a D2 game. Tampa vs Florida Southern. Honestly. Not much different than games I’ve watched with middle of the road D1 teams. They seem to turn the ball over less than the Penn State v Lehigh game I saw.
Enjoy those D2 games…..those kids can play. Top 10 are about right where you speak. Usually entertaining games at the top of the table but at the bottom it is hard to watch and there are some overmatched teams in whatever game their playing in.
It was a good game. Some weird decisions at the end. The top level talent on the two ranked teams could definitely play D1. It just must suck when these teams have to play other teams. I looked at their schedules and a ton of blowouts.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 pm
It was a good game. Some weird decisions at the end. The top level talent on the two ranked teams could definitely play D1. It just must suck when these teams have to play other teams. I looked at their schedules and a ton of blowouts.
Anything below the top 25 in d1 is god awful Many girls at top d2 schools could easily play on top 25 d1 teams Some don’t want to live eat breathe lax I know many a nursing student that were flat out told by top d1 programs it’s not possible to do Tuck the pretentious in a little
Bart

Post by Bart »

Yes. There tend to be blowouts unfortunately. Each league seems to have 1 or two good teams at the top then it drops out. The NE10 used to be stacked but 3 of their teams went D1.

Fischer is on the money with the pre professional degrees and allied health degrees.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Fischer wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:17 pm
Anything below the top 25 in d1 is god awful Many girls at top d2 schools could easily play on top 25 d1 teams Some don’t want to live eat breathe lax I know many a nursing student that were flat out told by top d1 programs it’s not possible to do Tuck the pretentious in a little

That's a bit unfair. Honestly believe the gap between 16 and 40 is usually pretty minimal. The difference is one or two more difference makers or more often just coaching and experience. For instance if Ohio State (a team ranked around 40) beat Princeton (a team ranked in high teens) would that really shock you?

I would agree that once you get past 50, talent declines pretty fast.

Here is a question for debate.

Which of the following teams (if any) would win a D2 natty?

- Coastal Carolina
- Davidson
- Lehigh
- Arizona State
- Mercer
Bart

Post by Bart »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:00 pm

That's a bit unfair. Honestly believe the gap between 16 and 40 is usually pretty minimal. The difference is one or two more difference makers or more often just coaching and experience. For instance if Ohio State (a team ranked around 40) beat Princeton (a team ranked in high teens) would that really shock you?

- Coastal Carolina
- Davidson
- Lehigh
- Arizona State
- Mercer
I think the drop is a bit more steep than you think outside the top 25. As to your question, I don’t know. Those might be interesting games. As a barometer, Lindenwood is only a few years out from being a National Champion.

Those crossover games would certainly be fun to see. Unfortunately they stopped in the 90’s
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

- Coastal Carolina
- Davidson
- Lehigh
- Arizona State
- Mercer
Honestly. Maybe just ASU. Long shot Mercer. Coastal isn’t good. I know you are big on them but they took a HUGE step back this year. Watched a few of their games. Way too inconsistent. Lehigh has a tremendous goalie. But their offense is really only three kids who can score. Those same three turn it over religiously. I mean ridiculously a lot and most of the time unforced. Mercer I think had a really great season last year, took a step back. Davidson is in the Coastal department. So maybe Arizona State.

I’ve watched multiple Pace and Adelphi games. Seen Tampa, E Stroudsberg, Westchester and now Florida Southern. I think those teams could give the aforementioned teams a really good game with probably beating ASU 50% of the times
Of course before the nuts come out and attack me because one of their kids go to one of those schools, It’s just my opinion and I really don’t know anything. I’m also two hours into my drinking session. 😉
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Bart wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:30 pm

- Coastal Carolina
- Davidson
- Lehigh
- Arizona State
- Mercer
I think the drop is a bit more steep than you think outside the top 25. As to your question, I don’t know. Those might be interesting games. As a barometer, Lindenwood is only a few years out from being a National Champion.

Those crossover games would certainly be fun to see. Unfortunately they stopped in the 90’s

Idk Bart. This year more than any the 17-25 spots don’t look great. Just look where some of the teams that were there a few weeks ago are now. I can see a team like Holy Cross beating Navy. Penn State is still in the Top 25 and I wouldn’t be suprised if Howard beat them if they played. That’s a joke but you get the point. 😁

And to jump on your point about Lindenwood, Queens and LeMoyne were top teams in D2 two years ago as well. Queens was unbeatable and then choked. LeMoyne was consistently in the top 10
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

- Coastal Carolina
- Davidson
- Lehigh
- Arizona State
- Mercer

Bart, my point was that the bottom 5 or 6 of the top 25 just isn't that good. This year, there are no elite teams, probably 4 or 5 outstanding teams, 10 or 12 very good teams and then a lot of mediocrity, which is being propped up by a bunch of Ivies with 15 seniors on their rosters.

If you go to the poll thread, folks really don't even know who to put 20-25. Are Colorado and Fairfield really that much better than Ohio State, Duke or Richmond?

To your Lindenwood point, they played Maryville (#5 or 6 in D2) in a fall ball game. The score was something like 19-5.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:57 pm

- Coastal Carolina
- Davidson
- Lehigh
- Arizona State
- Mercer
Honestly. Maybe just ASU. Long shot Mercer. Coastal isn’t good. I know you are big on them but they took a HUGE step back this year. Watched a few of their games. Way too inconsistent. Lehigh has a tremendous goalie. But their offense is really only three kids who can score. Those same three turn it over religiously. I mean ridiculously a lot and most of the time unforced. Mercer I think had a really great season last year, took a step back. Davidson is in the Coastal department. So maybe Arizona State.

I’ve watched multiple Pace and Adelphi games. Seen Tampa, E Stroudsberg, Westchester and now Florida Southern. I think those teams could give the aforementioned teams a really good game with probably beating ASU 50% of the times
Of course before the nuts come out and attack me because one of their kids go to one of those schools, It’s just my opinion and I really don’t know anything. I’m also two hours into my drinking session. 😉
Agree that Coastal disappointed this year. Actually think their offense is decent but their defense is unwatchable and just not well coached.

I actually think Davidson is on the way up, but probably one year away. Tons of young offensive talent. My upset pick of the weekend is them over UMass.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

On a side note Does anyone know why masera hasn’t played the last two games?
CTra

Post by CTra »

MolonLaxe wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:13 pm Hot take here. The #1 should be Northwestern. Making Maryland #1 was just so undeserved and showed people were grasping at straws.

I’m fine with Michigan moving to #1, but I’m not fully bought in until I see them play Northwestern on 4-20.
Why should Northwestern be #1? The top ranked team should not lose to an unranked and inconsistent opponent (Penn State). Sorry.
CTra

Post by CTra »

Not at all. Everybody is flawed and everybody is a contender. The talent is spread around and nobody is playing at a consistent and high quality level. Probably the best odds are with a team like Penn loaded with experience and a great blueprint for consistency.
[/quote]

I would love for Penn to go all the way and bring home the Natty.
Bart

Post by Bart »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:49 pm

- Coastal Carolina
- Davidson
- Lehigh
- Arizona State
- Mercer

Bart, my point was that the bottom 5 or 6 of the top 25 just isn't that good. This year, there are no elite teams, probably 4 or 5 outstanding teams, 10 or 12 very good teams and then a lot of mediocrity, which is being propped up by a bunch of Ivies with 15 seniors on their rosters.

If you go to the poll thread, folks really don't even know who to put 20-25. Are Colorado and Fairfield really that much better than Ohio State, Duke or Richmond?

To your Lindenwood point, they played Maryville (#5 or 6 in D2) in a fall ball game. The score was something like 19-5.
I don’t disagree with you. My comment of the top 25 was in D2. So my inability to convey a coherent thought was on full display.

Didn’t know about the fall scrimmage, but I am not surprised. Lindenwood is having a nice yeat.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”