Cornell 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
another fan

Re: Cornell 2024

Post by another fan »

faircornell wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am The high-production first-years (Goldstein and Nikolic) return to their home town of Philadelphia this weekend. Penn might be the toughest defense that Cornell has faced all year. Penn's games thus far have been relatively low scoring affairs. Goalie Emmet Carroll is saving an average of 60% of shots faced, and close defender Peter Blake was Ivy Defensive POW last week. It should be quite a battle.

GO BIG RED!
And Lavelle pretty much shut down O’Neill when Penn beat Duke.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am
joewillie78 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am
faircornell wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am The high-production first-years (Goldstein and Nikolic) return to their home town of Philadelphia this weekend. Penn might be the toughest defense that Cornell has faced all year. Penn's games thus far have been relatively low scoring affairs. Goalie Emmet Carroll is saving an average of 60% of shots faced, and close defender Peter Blake was Ivy Defensive POW last week. It should be quite a battle.

GO BIG RED!
Great challenge for the Big Red, who seemingly upped their game, once league play started. Besides those 2 freshman, who have been playing at an elite level, we also have Gilmartin, who has been stellar defensively, and of course our Goalie, who from my eye test, does not play like a freshman.

Penn obviously is a great team, having taken down then #1 Duke. Our offense in my opinion, at times is unstoppable, but Penns defense may prove me wrong as this defense is elite with a superb goaltender.

Good luck to both teams, as like with the Princeton and Yale games, I'm sure we are in for another classic Ivy contest.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
And Firth! 3rd in points... 15G & 5A for 20 points. At least 2 points every game this season.

5 freshman studs getting quality time. Good things for the future.
Without question... five tremendous Frosh. I was thinking about the times when players returning to their home town had above expectation performances to stymie the Big Red.

As a note to Cornell posters, I followed Joe Willie's many recommendations on this thread, and tried a Flower Power at the Statler Bar. It's a great IPA!
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

GO BIG RED!
Great challenge for the Big Red, who seemingly upped their game, once league play started. Besides those 2 freshman, who have been playing at an elite level, we also have Gilmartin, who has been stellar defensively, and of course our Goalie, who from my eye test, does not play like a freshman.

Penn obviously is a great team, having taken down then #1 Duke. Our offense in my opinion, at times is unstoppable, but Penns defense may prove me wrong as this defense is elite with a superb goaltender.

Good luck to both teams, as like with the Princeton and Yale games, I'm sure we are in for another classic Ivy contest.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
And Firth! 3rd in points... 15G & 5A for 20 points. At least 2 points every game this season.

I think Firth's productivity has a lot to do with how the coaches are using him. IIRC, his background is in playing attack. But, partly to get him on the field, he's playing midfield now. Yet if you look at the goals he scores, they're often from up close. And I don't mean he's starting high and either carrying the ball on a dodge to get close or that he's running (perhaps with a pick) to catch the ball on his way up close. Instead, he's often playing as a close midfielder, something like a 4th attacker, which also frees up the so-called "official" attackmen to play farther away. Long's goals from outside/up high are a prime example.

If this observation is correct, then credit to the coaches for designing their tactics to take maximal advantage of their personnel.

Am I crazy or imagining this, or have others noticed something similar?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

You are correct, Ezra. Firth was a star attackman in Canada. He's a "sniper" and (in my recollection) tends to shoot fairly close to the net.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Ezra White wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

GO BIG RED!

Gobigred
Joewillie78

I think Firth's productivity has a lot to do with how the coaches are using him. IIRC, his background is in playing attack. But, partly to get him on the field, he's playing midfield now. Yet if you look at the goals he scores, they're often from up close. And I don't mean he's starting high and either carrying the ball on a dodge to get close or that he's running (perhaps with a pick) to catch the ball on his way up close. Instead, he's often playing as a close midfielder, something like a 4th attacker, which also frees up the so-called "official" attackmen to play farther away. Long's goals from outside/up high are a prime example.

If this observation is correct, then credit to the coaches for designing their tactics to take maximal advantage of their personnel.

Am I crazy or imagining this, or have others noticed something similar?
You are absolutely not imagining it, and I saw it live in the Yale game. Firth is so versatile and "4th attackman" seems like the right fit, and I concur with great coaching to take advantage of Firths incredible skills.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Thank you both for confirming my observations.

To add something along these line, I've noticed RG30, especially when he's close to the keeper, faking a shot one way and then, when the goalie goes for his fake, putting the ball in net at another spot. This is partly because Goldstein's quickness gives him time to fake and shoot. Nonetheless, it seems some of his teammates just shoot as quickly as they can, which can often work, but against some goalies (I won't say "better," just different style) a quick fake may be most effective.

Of course, if enough players on the team adopt this style, goalies will stop going for the first fake. If so, then the quick shots will also become more effective. :)
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

faircornell wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

GO BIG RED!

Gobigred
Joewillie78

Without question... five tremendous Frosh. I was thinking about the times when players returning to their home town had above expectation performances to stymie the Big Red.

As a note to Cornell posters, I followed Joe Willie's many recommendations on this thread, and tried a Flower Power at the Statler Bar. It's a great IPA!
Glad you enjoyed the Flower Power. I did not know they had it at the Statler Bar. I will stop by the next time I'm on campus, which should be Tuesday for the Cuse game.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Ezra White wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm Thank you both for confirming my observations.

To add something along these line, I've noticed RG30, especially when he's close to the keeper, faking a shot one way and then, when the goalie goes for his fake, putting the ball in net at another spot. This is partly because Goldstein's quickness gives him time to fake and shoot. Nonetheless, it seems some of his teammates just shoot as quickly as they can, which can often work, but against some goalies (I won't say "better," just different style) a quick fake may be most effective.

Of course, if enough players on the team adopt this style, goalies will stop going for the first fake. If so, then the quick shots will also become more effective. :)
Watching Goldstein go from "X" last week reminded me of watching his father play.

One of the great strengths of Cornell's offense seems to be the multiple types of individual scoring styles and threats that the Big Red puts in front of a defense.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

I know we have a HUGE game today against a great team in Penn, but I am also looking forward to Tuesday night at the Kopf against the geat Syracuse team and the forecast so far is............AWFUL.

Lots of rain and damn cold, upper 30's.

Get the woodstove and chicken Soup ready, as again, I will be frozen by the time I get home.

Oh well, the last game I went to the Kopf, the weather was awful but the Big Red were hot. Maybe that repeats.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

How hard is it to add the shot clock to the score banner on the broadcast. I don't understand how in 2024 some broadcasts don't do this. Frustrating
CU77

Post by CU77 »

9-9 end of Q3. Saves: Penn 14, Cornell 5
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Chousnake wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:10 pm How hard is it to add the shot clock to the score banner on the broadcast. I don't understand how in 2024 some broadcasts don't do this. Frustrating
Very frustrating, I agree.

A couple of weeks ago, someone remarked that Kirst sometimes has a tendency to hold on to the ball too long, which results in shot clock violations/pressure. Perfect example at the end of the 3rd, when he held the ball for 25+ seconds despite being really well covered and despite not being able to get any separation. By the time he passed the ball to Goldstein with 3 seconds left, it was way too late. Very poor possession.

Need the first quarter Cornell to show back up. 6 goals in the first 10 minutes, 3 in the next 35.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Didn't love that last possession in regulation by Cornell. Rather than hold the ball, move it around and get the Penn defense moving. There are so many goal scorers on this team. It's ok if you shoot with 15 seconds left rather than not getting a good shot at all. Now Cornell has to face off again....
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Tully with a big save in OT
CU77

Post by CU77 »

And Penn takes it. Red had plenty of opportunities in OT, couldn't make any go
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Damn

Hell of a defensive effort by Penn. Got to hand it to them. Still, a frustrating loss.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Tough loss. Long had a great look in OT, but Cornell wasted two other opportunities to win the game by turning the ball over. Just too many empty offensive possessions today and some great stops by Carroll.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Great effort by both teams in what figured to be a knock down drag out fight.

Cornell should not be ashamed of the effort, as they always give 100% , but sometimes come up short.

Carroll was fantastic for Penn.

2-1 in the Ivy still has them in good shape, and I believe most when you said we play Princeton, Yale, and Penn, 2 of which were on the road would be happy with 2-1.

Syracuse on Tuesday night will be another brutal game, in what looks like very poor conditions.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Tough loss. A W would have put the Big Red in great Ivy position with head to head W's against Princeton, Yale, and...Penn. Not to be. Now the boys draw two top 5 teams in their next three games.....
Here are my thoughts...in descending order:
-At 6-2 after about 6+ minutes, the O got one more goal the entire half. 4 more the entire game, with Penn ahead 9-4.
-At about the 6-2 mark, Penn made a key defensive change. Stopped extending and really packed things in. With a pole on Goldstein and the packed D, he was largely taken out of things. Additionally, the great interior cross-field opportunities that existed largely disappeared. The 2nd line was no threat - they put on pole on Nikolic after his second goal and 18 and 42 couldn't win match-ups, so defenders stayed home. On the 1st line, when Long had a ss they tried to let him draw a slide and then find an open man. Nada. Penn was extremely judicious and well connected on support slides all day. So many possessions, there was simply not much there. Some sloppy passing connections certainly didn't help matters.
-The opportunities to win were certainly there at 10-10, in regulation, and multiple times in OTs 1 and 2. Not to get a shot on the last touches twice at the end - ouch.
-No Wallace today at LSM. Danny Boccafola backed up Rayhill. Jack Parker did nicely as the 5th shortie. Aiden Blake had some very tough moments.
*On the winning goal, WHY is a shortie trying to support a pole on his man (Shipley)? Shipley hits the wide open Rubin and it's over as Gilmartin can't get back. Talk about deja vu - think #7 trying to support Follows twice at the end resulting in the winning goal in the NCAA 1st round vs. Michigan.
*While I know nothing about Penn's attackmen, I do know Rubin and Shipley. The announcer kept questioning the decision to pole Shipley and not Rubin. My question is why not double pole the middies - both of them?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”