OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

hmmm wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:19 pm The fact that she is so talented is why it’s so frustrating she’s on the ground so much. She goes down as soon as she’s touched. Opposing teams literally have a scout team player falling down in practice constantly to prepare for it. She doesn’t need to do that to put up points. She is great on FPs and she benefits from those calls when they’re made. She gets them at home. When she doesn’t get them as at PSU she just looks silly on the ground begging for calls. Don’t take advantage of the way the game is officiated. Just play the game.
I don't completely disagree with you, hmmm. I think you're overstating things a bit but we all have our differing perspectives. I do know she spent the greater part of the night in the hospital once after being crosschecked badly. That may have had an affect on her--I don't know. Maybe she figures on some level that going down will dissuade her defenders from being rough with her. Maybe she doesn't want to ever experience that kind of pain again. Maybe the coaching staff encourages her to do it--I'm just spit-balling here--I don't know. Truth be told, I never would have gone on the defense for her if it hadn't been dropped at my feet as if to say, "What about her?" I saw some of what you're saying at the BC game I attended and thought, "What is she doing?" But more so for allowing herself to get trapped by two defenders before passing off to a teammate than the falling. I know the refs didn't buy it. She's one of my favorite players. She plays for my favorite team. Naturally I'm going to defend her. Naturally I'm going to turn a somewhat blind eye to her foibles. Can you honestly say you'd criticize a player in detail who did that if she played on your favorite team? Would you be as descriptive? Maybe you would. I choose to focus on her strengths. Not saying I'm right for doing so--but that's where I am with her at this point.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Is Madison Taylor a Flopper?

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:12 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:07 am To the (jealous? envious?) folks (which includes on-field opponents) complaining about Madison Taylor falling down too easily this year, you might factor a few production numbers into the equation. So far this season, Taylor leads the team in points with 55, of which 37 are goals and 18 are assists. She's 18 of 27 on free position for a not too shabby .667 percentage. DMac might not be impressed due to his high (and not unreasonable in my estimation) standard but still, pretty good rate of conversion. She's also tallied 7 GB's, 6 CT's and 32 DC's to round out her contribution to the team.

So, you detractors, you among the envious--go ahead on with your flop talk. A player of Madison Taylor's worth can fall down on my team All. She. Wants. when she puts up numbers consistently the way she does and the way she has done since she first stepped foot on the college playing field. Oh--and she can make plays like this. You know you'd love to have her on your team--flops and all.
Is she an extremely talented player? Yes. Does the have a great compete level? Yes. Does she embellish more than I think many posters find seemly? Yes. Would I take her on my team? For sure…
I like how you stated that. Thanks for weighing in.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:17 pm
hmmm wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:19 pm The fact that she is so talented is why it’s so frustrating she’s on the ground so much. She goes down as soon as she’s touched. Opposing teams literally have a scout team player falling down in practice constantly to prepare for it. She doesn’t need to do that to put up points. She is great on FPs and she benefits from those calls when they’re made. She gets them at home. When she doesn’t get them as at PSU she just looks silly on the ground begging for calls. Don’t take advantage of the way the game is officiated. Just play the game.
I don't completely disagree with you, hmmm. I think you're overstating things a bit but we all have our differing perspectives. I do know she spent the greater part of the night in the hospital once after being crosschecked badly. That may have had an affect on her--I don't know. Maybe she figures on some level that going down will dissuade her defenders from being rough with her. Maybe she doesn't want to ever experience that kind of pain again. Maybe the coaching staff encourages her to do it--I'm just spit-balling here--I don't know. Truth be told, I never would have gone on the defense for her if it hadn't been dropped at my feet as if to say, "What about her?" I saw some of what you're saying at the BC game I attended and thought, "What is she doing?" But more so for allowing herself to get trapped by two defenders before passing off to a teammate than the falling. I know the refs didn't buy it. She's one of my favorite players. She plays for my favorite team. Naturally I'm going to defend her. Naturally I'm going to turn a somewhat blind eye to her foibles. Can you honestly say you'd criticize a player in detail who did that if she played on your favorite team? Would you be as descriptive? Maybe you would. I choose to focus on her strengths. Not saying I'm right for doing so--but that's where I am with her at this point.
I’m not a fan of all the flopping and the head grabbing that goes on in this great sport. Obviously as a parent of a defender those are my feelings on it. It’s hard enough to defend in wlax without drawing imaginary fouls and even worse cards. Sure, gamesmanship is part of sports and is to be expected. There are certain players that have a rep for it. And the NCAA knows it’s a problem and passed a new rule to card for flopping. And I’m still yet to see one. Every time 25 was on the ground rolling around like she got hit in the head but the refs didn’t call a foul shouldn’t she have gotten carded? That’s truly a question. Why have the rule if it’s not used? And if the ref didn’t see a foul on the defense, why is she allowed to roll around on the ground begging for a call? If they’d start issuing cards and enforcing the rule my guess is we’d start to see a lot less of it.
OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:25 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:17 pm
I’m not a fan of all the flopping and the head grabbing that goes on in this great sport. Obviously as a parent of a defender those are my feelings on it. It’s hard enough to defend in wlax without drawing imaginary fouls and even worse cards. Sure, gamesmanship is part of sports and is to be expected. There are certain players that have a rep for it. And the NCAA knows it’s a problem and passed a new rule to card for flopping. And I’m still yet to see one. Every time 25 was on the ground rolling around like she got hit in the head but the refs didn’t call a foul shouldn’t she have gotten carded? That’s truly a question. Why have the rule if it’s not used? And if the ref didn’t see a foul on the defense, why is she allowed to roll around on the ground begging for a call? If they’d start issuing cards and enforcing the rule my guess is we’d start to see a lot less of it.
Agreed 100%. I asked a ref about it earlier in the week. She said the refs should be saying to the player something along the lines of, "Look, I'm on to you. I'm not buying what you're doing. Next time--I'll card you for flopping." Obviously that's not happening. For whatever reason, the refs aren't treating this as something to crack down on. I think they should too. Interesting to note--she spoke of rewarding the defense as a key reason she would crack down on the flopping if she was still reffing in D1.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Brawwk! Win-the-Draw-Win-the-Game BRAAWWK!

cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Literally the only person on this board talking about "Win the draw, with the game".
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cltlax wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am Literally the only person on this board talking about "Win the draw, with the game".
And the draw advantage, in any case, kept Loyola in this game.
OuttaNowhereWregget

cltlax wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am Literally the only person on this board talking about "Win the draw, Win the game".
OuttaNowhereWregget

So Syracuse plays no one until Thursday, April 18th when they scale The Heights to face their arch nemesis. A nifty 5pm start time on ESPNU. Emma Ward noted on her recent visit to The Meg Show--"They've had our number." Indeed they have, four times in a row since that fateful day in late May of 2021. I'm guessing the Orange are about due...
DMac

Post by DMac »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am
cltlax wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 am Literally the only person on this board talking about "Win the draw, with the game".
And the draw advantage, in any case, kept Loyola in this game.
Enter the Cuse D, they had 10 CTs...pretty much negates that DC advantage for the Hounds.
That group can be mighty tough to deal with.
DMac

Post by DMac »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am So Syracuse plays no one until Thursday, April 18th when they scale The Heights to face their arch nemesis. A nifty 5pm start time on ESPNU. Emma Ward noted on her recent visit to The Meg Show--"They've had our number." Indeed they have, four times in a row since that fateful day in late May of 2021. I'm guessing the Orange are about due...
No one except for every team bringing their A+ game looking to knock the Orange off.
laxdadpat

Re: Brawwk! Win-the-Draw-Win-the-Game BRAAWWK!

Post by laxdadpat »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:40 pm Image
Draw control is just 1 part of the game that is important.

There are 3 stats that show how well a team is keeping possession of the ball that I lump together.
Draw Controls - Loyola +7
Turnovers - Cuse +8
Bround Balls - Cuse +5
Cuse had a +6 for the game yesterday.

The most important stats are shots on goal and goals, but a team doesn't get shots if they lose possession of the ball.

Cuse 16 goals on 26 SOG - 61% 2/4 FPS
Loyola 13 goals on 17 SOG - 76% (wow!) 4/4 FPS

Cuse won that game thanks to the low amount of shots on goal by Loyola.
Loyola come away saying how do we get more shots.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

laxdadpat wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:40 pm Image

There are 3 stats that show how well a team is keeping possession of the ball that I lump together.
Draw Controls - Loyola +7
Turnovers - Cuse +8
Bround Balls - Cuse +5
Cuse had a +6 for the game yesterday.

The most important stats are shots on goal and goals, but a team doesn't get shots if they lose possession of the ball.

Cuse 16 goals on 26 SOG - 61% 2/4 FPS
Loyola 13 goals on 17 SOG - 76% (wow!) 4/4 FPS

Cuse won that game thanks to the low amount of shots on goal by Loyola.
Loyola come away saying how do we get more shots.
Thanks Pat; good and informative post. In the second half, I sort of thought Loyola was really looking for layups or really clear-lane step downs, and that, for example, No. 11 should have used that awesome face dodge and speed to get a few more shots off.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

Here are the stats from the other big game last night.

Draw Controls - Penn +4
Turnovers - Penn +3
Ground Balls -MD +2
Penn a +5 for the game yesterday.

Penn 13 goals on 25 SOG - 52% FPS 2/4
Maryland 9 goals on 14 SOG - 64 % FPS 2/4

Penn won that game thanks to the +11 SOG
Maryland shot 64%, but only got 14 SOG, can't win that way.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am So Syracuse plays no one until Thursday, April 18th when they scale The Heights to face their arch nemesis. A nifty 5pm start time on ESPNU. Emma Ward noted on her recent visit to The Meg Show--"They've had our number." Indeed they have, four times in a row since that fateful day in late May of 2021. I'm guessing the Orange are about due...
No one except for every team bringing their A+ game looking to knock the Orange off.
Yeah--but you know and I know and we both know that Louisville, Cornell, Pittsburgh and Clemson are no match for this team.
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxdadpat wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:40 pm
Absolutely, positively 100%

That is my whole point in continuing to hammer this.
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

We both agree as do most everyone in lacrosse.

It is unique in that 1 lady can basically create the occasional +10 or more possession advantage in any game almost by herself(3 women on the circle).

It's not a coincidence that Florida #6 is leading the nation with 149 draw controls this year.

As a team Florida is +96 on draw control for the year and is leading the nation is goals per game.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Not making a prediction, but would I be surprised even the least little bit if Ohio State beats visiting Penn State tonight?

OuttaNowhereWregget

Will Johns Hopkins Finally Lift the Unliftable?

There's a prop that figures prominently in the 1975 film classic One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. A huge and seemingly unliftable floor mounted marble sink. At one point Randall Patrick McMurphy claims he will lift the sink, throw it through a window to make an exit path to go downtown and watch the World Series at a bar with his friend Cheswick. No one thinks he can do it. McMurphy takes bets. Taber bets a dollar that he can't lift it, Martini bets a dime and Harding bets $25. With all the bets recorded, Mac goes about trying to lift it. Though he grunts and strains and flexes his muscles to their limit, he can't even budge the thing. He walks out of the room defeated but says on his exit, “At least I tried.” putting the other patients to some shame.

So what does all this have to do with Johns Hopkins’ upcoming game versus Maryland, you may ask? Up till now, Maryland has been for Johns Hopkins the immovable, unliftable object. 24 times in a row (25 if you go back to 1979 when Johns Hopkins was still D3) the Blue Jays have failed to beat Maryland. To be clear, Johns Hopkins has never defeated Maryland in the 48+ years of their existence. Tomorrow night at Homewood they'll get another opportunity to lift the heretofore unliftable immovable object. Wednesday night 6pm on ESPNU. For my part, I want to see Hop finally lift that thing...
OuttaNowhereWregget

Interesting to note...

Madison Taylor had offers to play for Michigan, Florida and (fanfare) Syracuse. But she chose Northwestern.

In 35 career games played, Taylor has so far tallied 103 goals, 38 assists, 41 GB’s, 15 CT’s and 98 DC’s.

Imagine that player with those numbers on any of those teams? What a day for a daydream... 🎶

She made the right choice...

0:02 clip

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”