Key Bridge Collapse: What Happened?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: Key Bridge Collapse: What Happened?

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:17 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:17 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:24 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:17 pm
That link says nothing of concern.....every mechanical system has issues, every single one.
.... wrong link posted initially. NOW CORRECTED.
https://gulfnews.com/world/americas/dal ... 1564016334
That article confirms nothing of significance mechanically. The 2016 Antwerp dock collision does not cite any mechanical issues. Most likely caused by shiphandling by a probably different crew. Unfounded, sensationalist speculation. Thanks for posting.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -says.html
Ms Mitchell should be talking to the NTSB & not the media.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:34 pm
That link says nothing of concern.....every mechanical system has issues, every single one.
That article confirms nothing of significance mechanically. The 2016 Antwerp dock collision does not cite any mechanical issues. Most likely caused by shiphandling by a probably different crew. Unfounded, sensationalist speculation. Thanks for posting.

You should put her in her place.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:02 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:34 pm

You should put her in her place.
Has she talked to NewsMax yet ?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:23 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:10 pm ......aaaaaand, right on cue, TeamTinFoil is doing their thing online.

I wish there was a way to round them all up, put them in ONE city, and let them drive each other crazy with their nonstop conspiracies, and leave the rest of us with an IQ above room temperature alone.
Wasn’t it an oriental ship?
Did Julie Mitchell tell you that ?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Multiple US and Australian papers reporting recent employment infractions of Grace Ocean the Dali owner and Maersk the client of Grace Ocean. The infractions include wrongful termination of whistleblowers.
The ship’s owner, Grace Ocean Private Ltd., and operator, Synergy Marine, “have been sued at least four times in U.S. federal court on allegations of negligence and other claims tied to worker injuries on other ships owned and operated by the Singapore-based companies,” according to The Associated Press.

Maersk was also sanctioned last year by the U.S. Labor Department for allegedly stopping employees from reporting safety concerns, documents published by The Lever revealed.

According to a July 14, 2023 Labor Department letter to Maersk regarding an Occupational Safety and Health Administration investigation, the Danish company “suspended and then terminated” a worker “in retaliation for reporting unsafe conditions and contacting the U.S. Coast Guard.”

The fired employee “engaged in numerous protected activities” including reporting a leak and the need for repairs to a ship’s cargo hold bilge system, alcohol use aboard the vessel by crew members, and inoperable equipment including an emergency fire pump and lifeboat block and releasing gear.

In 2021, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority detained another ship formerly owned by Grace Ocean Private.

The Western Callao was stopped after it found management owed 13 crew members back-pay and had failed to repatriate them after their nine-month contracts ended.

A 2020 inspection of the same ship by Australian authorities found that eight sailors had been aboard it for more than 11 months.

“Another company ship, the Furness Southern Cross, was found to have 10 seafarers onboard for more than 14 months,” Australian Maritime Safety Authority executive director of operations, Michael Drake, said in 2021.

Drake said the infractions were “serious and shameful breaches of the Maritime Labour Convention”.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

“ The vessel also passed two separate foreign port inspections in June and September of last year, although a faulty monitor gauge for fuel pressure was fixed before the ship departed port.”

Diesels are a little sensitive low fuel pressure conditions. Too low, too bad. That will stop the engine, and therefore the propulsion system, presuming it is not an electric diesel (like railroad locomotives) with significant battery capacity.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

“ The vessel also passed two separate foreign port inspections in June and September of last year, although a faulty monitor gauge for fuel pressure was fixed before the ship departed port.”

Diesels are a little sensitive low fuel pressure conditions. Too low, too bad. That will stop the engine, and therefore the propulsion system, presuming it is not an electric diesel (like railroad locomotives) with significant battery capacity.
This is similar to my thinking when I read the article. A faulty fuel pressure gauge could stop the engine so as not to damage the engine.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

When they rebuild the Key bridge are they going to add railroad tracks? Joe remembers riding his imaginary train over the bridge many times in the past. 8-)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
runrussellrun

Aging infrastructure ??????

Post by runrussellrun »

The spin and narrative of "bridge fell because it was old"....frankly, IS getting old.

Apparently, THIS is a valued source.

Almost every single bridge in NYC is way, way older than the Francis Scott Key bridge. But, smart over 50 years already understand this, and ignore the talk. Especially, when a big boat, suddenly, changes direction and directly hits........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... _York_City
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:18 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:42 pm Not sure one or even three tugs would have been able to do anything for a ship that big and heavy. Nearly 1,000 feet long.

We'll see a lot of early speculation though, that's for sure.
This bridge and much of '70s infra weren't designed for current operational requirements. Expect more incidents like this one. Wait until they are the result of advertence...
WTC towers were apparently built to withstand a 707 hitting them at slower speeds. They didn't plan for something twice as heavy, fully fueled, flying at ~500mph.

There are diminishing returns on building to prevent freak accidents or attacks, but we'll probably need to retrofit old bridges. Doubt you can build a bridge to withstand that impact, it will need to be protective barriers to prevent an impact in the first place. Delaware is spending $100M on a bridge protection system. $100M prevention vs. a few billion replacement, plus lives lost and economic impact? Looks like new bridge construction requires some type of system like that.

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+do+giant+ ... 9PkWjURKTY

The bad fuel narrative is real and a possible explanation for the propeller not to work however, no one is explaining why the ship dramatically changed course ?

especially since those fuel filters are crazy expensive, and we know how thrifty those Comi countries that own most of the container ships are with their money

but none of this explains why the Rutter moved
Basic hydraulic steering system, same for even small sailboats and motorboats, but pay attention to the "electronically, transmitted" compass heading to the bridge

what was our US Navy conclusion as to why they killed many sailors, and crashed into boats going back a couple years?????
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

runrussellrun wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:05 am https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+do+giant+ ... 9PkWjURKTY

The bad fuel narrative is real and a possible explanation for the propeller not to work however, no one is explaining why the ship dramatically changed course ?

especially since those fuel filters are crazy expensive, and we know how thrifty those Comi countries that own most of the container ships are with their money

Basic hydraulic steering system, same for even small sailboats and motorboats, but pay attention to the "electronically, transmitted" compass heading to the bridge

what was our US Navy conclusion as to why they killed many sailors, and crashed into boats going back a couple years?????
Correct me if I am wrong, didn't the port side anchor drop under first power fail, which caused the hard turn?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

nothing is clear at this point

The name of the six victim has hasn't even been reported yet
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:51 am
runrussellrun wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:05 am https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+do+giant+ ... 9PkWjURKTY

Correct me if I am wrong, didn't the port side anchor drop under first power fail, which caused the hard turn?
That is what I have read also. I have no idea what SoP would be in this scenario. I don't even know if there are training scenarios for such an event. I have no idea why they would suddenly drop anchor with zero ability to steer the ship. The only thing I can think of was it was a move made out of desperation. I can only imagine the sense of panic those individuals had who were trying to control the direction of this ship. I understand that this is normally a strait shot out of port and to open ocean. Maybe those tugs should have been assisting this vessel to at least get past the bridge. What is that often used phrase of out of an overabundance of caution. That is what happens when you do something many many times. You let complacency set in and believe the task at hand is routine.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:46 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:51 am

That is what I have read also. I have no idea what SoP would be in this scenario. I don't even know if there are training scenarios for such an event. I have no idea why they would suddenly drop anchor with zero ability to steer the ship. The only thing I can think of was it was a move made out of desperation. I can only imagine the sense of panic those individuals had who were trying to control the direction of this ship. I understand that this is normally a strait shot out of port and to open ocean. Maybe those tugs should have been assisting this vessel to at least get past the bridge. What is that often used phrase of out of an overabundance of caution. That is what happens when you do something many many times. You let complacency set in and believe the task at hand is routine.
The bay is mostly mud....especially around the Francis Scott Key bridge

It's been pretty difficult to find the rode/chain lenghth, anywhere. Even asked Bill Gates "I hate the world" KALKI complex Chat BOT different variations.

apparently, bill gates is an idiot and doesn't understand the word "rode" .

Anyway, the video youthA provided, made it very clear (5.20 mark) that they didn't know WHEN the anchor dropped......and how much length of rode, gravity and 8 knots would pull out.

And, if grabbing, wouldn't the starboard stern hit the ........oh, wait.........anchor dropped, full on reverse...yup, you gonna head starboard.....somethig to that effect.

oh well. Same ole same ole. To ask, is to MAGA.

Yeah........happens SO often, ships breaking down and hitting bridges. Suck thinks Bezo's was sent a message.

We STILL don't know the name of the 6th victim. Very , ummm......bizarre.

carry on......look, tRump.
runrussellrun

Sixth Victim name, and b/c its COMER, won't read it.

Post by runrussellrun »

Strange doings regarding this event. and......do we even WANT to know the truth.........and just feel fuzzy "safe".
Meanwhile, the name of the 6th victim and Federal Highway contract workers, e verified and fully vaccinated, as required by law :roll: ....

........has STILL not been reported. Nothing strange about that.

"accidents" like this NEVER, ever happened before.....like NEVERRER{........EVER......happened before.......in the modern age. In perfect sailing weather. clear. little wind. modern TECH....blah blah blah.

crickets from the pretend liberals.......and following Biden's trillions of budgeted "infrastructure" bills.....and where that money IS going, blah blah blah. ....

From the House Oversight Committee.......apparently the Army Corps of Engineers, like ALL Federal agencies, get to pick winners and losers.

Remember when "just GOOGLE it" company got cut rate fuel for their private, carbon less, jet planes. Fat Leonard running US marina's.

Say it ain't SO........different rates for different people.
Where'd you hear that........fox news ?
https://oversight.house.gov/release/com ... na-owners/

Comer Opens Kentucky Congressional Forum to Examine Army Corps’ Inconsistent Fees Charged to Marina Owners
WASHINGTON — Today, House Committee on Oversight and Accountability Chairman James Comer (R-Ky.) delivered opening remarks at a congressional forum in Jamestown, Kentucky titled “A Burden to Business: The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Assessment of Administrative Fees.” In his opening statement, Chairman Comer emphasized information obtained by the Oversight Committee, along with a study conducted by the Government Accountability Office (GAO) shows the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has been levying inconsistent, unexpected, and exorbitant fees against small business owners. He noted unclear fees pushed by the Corps can cripple small businesses, particularly local marina operators in Kentucky, and hurt further investment in recreational infrastructure locally and nationwide. Chairman Comer highlighted the MARINA Act, legislation he introduced to address the lack of transparency and unclear fee policies and concluded that Congress must continue to explore solutions to ensure the Corps is issuing all fees consistently and fairly.

Below are Chairman Comer’s remarks as prepared for delivery.

Good morning. I would like to welcome everyone to today’s Congressional forum regarding how the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers assesses administrative fees.

As most of you know, I serve as the Chairman of the House Oversight and Accountability Committee in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Our Committee works to eliminate waste, fraud, and abuse in federal programs and to ensure taxpayer funds are being used appropriately.

One of the biggest privileges I have as Chairman of this Committee is being able to advance priorities that help the interests of Kentuckians that reside in the First Congressional district, especially when those priorities intersect with nationwide concerns.

The economy of the First Congressional district, like many other districts across the country, is heavily dependent on the tourism industry that lakes and other forms of outdoor recreation provide.

For example, in 2022, Lake Cumberland hosted over 2.5 million visitors, and stands as one of the crown jewels of our state’s tourism industry.

Lake Cumberland was ranked the number one lake spot by USA Today in 2023 – outranking places like Lake Superior and Lake Havasu.

The number of economic benefits this amount of tourism provides to this area is incredible.

Within 30 miles of this lake, the economic impact is over 1,100 jobs, over $164 million in visitor spending, $107 million in sales, and over $33 million in labor income.

It is vital for the economic health of Kentucky for businesses that contribute to the tourism industry operate freely and without burden from bureaucratic intervention.

Beneath the surface of Lake Cumberland’s scenic beauty lies a matter of concern that warrants our attention: the impact of real estate administrative fees imposed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

The Corps, as a component of the Department of Defense plays a role in managing water resource projects across the nation.

The Corps imposes these fees on those who utilize its managed real estate, including privately operated marinas on the lakes, such as Lake Cumberland.

These fees, intended to cover administrative expenses incurred by the Corps, have raised significant apprehensions among stakeholders.

As a result, the Committee on Oversight and Accountability asked the Government Accountability Office to examine the complexities surrounding the Corps’ management of these fees.

The Government Accountability Office, or GAO, is the investigative arm of Congress and serves as a watchdog to improve the performance of the federal government.

GAO recently completed their study on how the Corps manages these fees revealing concerns.

These concerns centered on the often excessive, inconsistent, and inadequately justified nature of the fees, casting a shadow of uncertainty over the regulatory landscape governing infrastructure on Corps managed property, such as Lake Cumberland.

Moreover, GAO’s examination revealed discrepancies in the Corps’ practices across different divisions and districts, raising questions about the uniformity of fee-setting criteria and the adequacy of information provided to fee payers.

Such inconsistencies not only undermine confidence in the fairness and transparency of the fee-setting process, but also hinder the ability of stakeholders to plan and invest in the development of infrastructure for recreational purposes at Corps managed property across the U.S.

As we gather here at Lake Cumberland today, it is incumbent upon us to explore the ramifications of GAO’s findings, particularly in the context of Kentucky’s tourism industry and the vibrant communities that surround Lake Cumberland.

Any impediment to the accessibility, affordability, or transparency of recreational opportunities at not only Lake Cumberland, but any other Corps managed property around the country, could have far-reaching consequences.

I recently re-introduced the Maintaining Access to Recreational Industry and Necessary Adjustments Act, or the MARINA Act, to address these concerns.

This legislation standardizes the framework for calculating administrative fees.

It also caps the amount of sales on items with a low profit margin that can be used to determine a marina operator’s annual rent to the Corps.

This bill defines when administrative fees may be charged, ensures they are for non-routine Corps district functions, and extends initial lease terms to 50 years and renewals to 25 years.

I look forward to working with my colleagues in the U.S. House of Representatives to see this important legislation across the finish line.

In pursuit of these objectives, I look forward to engaging in constructive dialogue with the Corps today who will hopefully be able to discuss ways they are working to remedy these problems.

I also look forward to hearing from GAO on the findings of their report, and the recommendations they have made to the Corps.

I want to thank our witnesses for traveling from across the U.S. to be here today to tackle this important issue, and I look forward to the insights and recommendations that will emerge from our discussion at today’s forum.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

From the Post today:

"The workers were filling potholes on the bridge when the Dali cargo ship slammed into it around 1:30 a.m. Tuesday. The bodies of Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, 35, and Dorlian Ronial Castillo Cabrera, 26, were recovered from the water Wednesday. The other four men are missing and presumed dead, including Maynor Suazo Sandoval, 38, and Miguel Luna, 49. The names of two victims have not been released."

Sure, make a conspiracy out of the fact that names have not been released.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:13 am From the Post today:

"The workers were filling potholes on the bridge when the Dali cargo ship slammed into it around 1:30 a.m. Tuesday. The bodies of Alejandro Hernandez Fuentes, 35, and Dorlian Ronial Castillo Cabrera, 26, were recovered from the water Wednesday. The other four men are missing and presumed dead, including Maynor Suazo Sandoval, 38, and Miguel Luna, 49. The names of two victims have not been released."

Sure, make a conspiracy out of the fact that names have not been released.

Who.....exactly, IS making it a conspiracy ? (oh.....the closed minded )

If this was YOUR law firm on the bridge, would it be difficult to learn the names of the victims ? Of course you would. FInd it odd. You find it to be a conspiracy. A conspiracy ,to do what, exactly ?

They sure were sure that it was SIX......workers missing......just don't know the names of all six? Suck find it strange. You don't . ok, cool.

Dude......suck LOVES Casa De Maryland, love what they do.

You mite wanna tone down your hateful rhetoric and understand peoples end games.

ME, I wan't equal rights, pay and protection....for ALL workers ?

You donate and advocate for workers, like fatty does? Nope..........

https://wearecasa.org/essential-workers ... -families/

BALTIMORE, MD – In a powerful display of solidarity and remembrance, construction workers, community leaders, and labor partners gathered at CASA’s Baltimore Worker Center to pay tribute to the families affected by the horrific Key Bridge collapse. More than fifty construction workers donned hard hats and reflective vests and held white tulips as they walked single file into the worker center. Their fists were high in the air, solemnly chanting, “We are with you. Today. And Always. Right here. Right now. Always.” They asked President Biden for substantive relief – work permits, through Temporary Protected Status – for essential workers who have lived in the country for years.

Six yellow construction hats sat in a circle on a round table, which was covered in traditional Central American textile.
Workers shared their history of injury.

Photo courtesy of CASA
CASA Member Victoriano Almendares, a Maryland resident of 21 years, shared, “In 2019, I endured a workplace accident where I fell from a great height, resulting in fractures in my spine and a severe muscle tear in my abdomen. This left me disabled for a long time, with years of hospital visits. I am now unable to work from those heights because my balance is off and I have limited mobility. As an essential worker, I share my story knowing that many people in Maryland and across the country can relate to my fallen colleagues and their families. One day we may be here, and the next we may not—that’s the risk of being a construction worker, sacrificing for our families.”

Photo courtesy of CASA
While he was working, Evelio Webster fell from the top of a ladder, breaking his arm from the fall. He still has pain and difficulty on the job. He described, “For three years, I have worked hard in remodeling, supporting my family despite the dangerous nature of this industry. From my labor and that of so many immigrants, the economy of this country flourishes. But why don’t our dreams grow with it? Our dignity as humans, our well-being? Why is it that when tragedies happen we are the ones who fall into darkness suffering?” He further shared, “Eight people – six dead – and dozens of families have been touched for the rest of their lives. And we will never forget you. You will be the light, and we will continue to fight for dignity for all essential workers. The people of Baltimore and the entire nation will push for justice together!”

Photo courtesy of CASA
Darwin Orlando Lopez met his wife and is raising his kids in Baltimore County. Hailing from Central America, Darwin has lived in the state for more than a decade. He shares, “I risk life and limb daily, remodeling homes and offices to put food on the table. It’s time for tangible action from President Biden to support these invisible heroes. We demand migrant relief, such as Temporary Protected Status (TPS) or work permits, to safeguard our respect and dignity.”

Photo courtesy of CASA
Erika Aleman works construction to support her two teenagers as a single mother. This Baltimore City resident from Honduras shared, “I am proud to be a construction worker. The contributions that immigrants like myself offer this city and this country uplift the future of every family, well beyond mine. But I face that same danger that the six construction workers faced every time I leave for the job site – what would happen to my children if I were to perish like they did? I stand here in memory of the six workers who fell into that water and never returned home. Immigrants are essential workers that deserve true and substantial protection.”

Reverend Kobi Little, president of the NAACP Maryland State Conference, shared, “The message of Good Friday is a message of love, of sacrifice, of solidarity. Today we the NAACP in Maryland express our condolences and our love. We recognize the sacrifices that the immigrant community has suffered. We know that this country is a country of immigrants. We have always celebrated this, and today we celebrate the immigrants across the U.S. who continue to build and serve this country. With solemnity, we observe the contributions of the workers who lost their lives this week. They have made a difference in this community and country. They are true Americans.”

Ray Kelly, executive director of Citizens Policing Project, “There was a man who gave his life so that we might all live, and we have celebrated that for over 2,000 years. The Catholic in me sees the correlation between these horrible events and the seasons we celebrate in our faiths. Immigrants do the jobs that no one wants to do. I stand in solidarity with them – workers who risk their lives for our comfort. I offer up sincerest condolences to the families that lost loved ones: Your sacrifices do not go unrecognized. They will deliver light for the world to see.”

“In a nation where immigrants are frequently subject to demonization, we are reminded once again of their immense contributions. Together with our U.S.-born brothers and sisters, we build this nation,” closed Gustavo Torres, CASA’s executive director. “The President has a responsibility to honor them with the most available in his power right now, and that’s temporary protected status.”

Dude......you think this group digs your boy Biden.....guess again.
runrussellrun

Hopkins medical meeting..........

Post by runrussellrun »

Ask yourself this: if this was MY company, on that bridge, how long would it take you to figure out the names of the six, pressumed dead.

For example, a group of 5 orthopedic device specialist, all of them engineers on top of being MD's, are driving back to their hosts lovely home , located in a private setting amongst the many backwaters of AnniRundel county. After closing a 10 year contract with Johns Hopkins, via one of the many Federal welfare for me spiggots......their newly FDA approved procedure.......dining and celebrating at Bezo's "secret" Dundalk restaurant....

so, naturally, the FSKey bridge IS the fastest way back to the mansion on the water, in Ann Arundel County.

Pretty sure, we would know the names of the 5 doctors........and the driver..........fairly soon.

And yet, here we are.....almost a week later. The name of the 6th victim alludes us.

All....we are asking ....is that Federal contractors follow Federal laws.
runrussellrun

Just so sad

Post by runrussellrun »

a Full week later, and we still haven't learned the name of the 6th victim and Brawler "employee". It is just so sad.

And....the NTBS has been weirdly quiet about the "yellow" black box results, which were promised, a week ago.

Pre-liminary reports for airplane crashes are NEVER this long.........

Yeah......wouldn't wanna tell the US Public either, especially with NO clear target, or rather, place of blame.

Not like anyone is paying attention to this "issue" any longer.

Return to “POLITICS”