NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
SouthieLax

Re: NESCAC

Post by SouthieLax »

Tough couple of days for choochoo and Laxjack.

North v. South this year:

North Wins:
Tufts 18, CNU 10
Tufts 20, Stevens 7
Williams 18, CNU 12
Hamilton 16, Lynchburg 15
Wesleyan 23, Roanoke 16
Wesleyan 23, Stockton 10
Amherst 14, Swarthmore 11
Amherst 9, Gettysburg 8
RIT 11, York 10
RIT 15, W&L 9
RIT 17, Ursinus 11
St. Lawrence 9, York 8
St. Lawrence 13, CNU 12
RPI 11, York 10

South wins:
Stevens 16, Wesleyan 10
???
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

not sure who southlaxi is confusing. my comment about tufts not being on the same level as salisbury RIT and RPI, somehow is a bad week for me ?
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

Me:
Middlebury and Bowdoin don’t travel to play unfamiliar competition, and my belief is that has something to do with how their rankings come to remain.

This guy:
SouthieLax wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:15 pm Tough couple of days for choochoo and Laxjack.

North v. South this year:

North Wins:
Tufts 18, CNU 10
Tufts 20, Stevens 7
Williams 18, CNU 12
Hamilton 16, Lynchburg 15
Wesleyan 23, Roanoke 16
Wesleyan 23, Stockton 10
Amherst 14, Swarthmore 11
Amherst 9, Gettysburg 8
RIT 11, York 10
RIT 15, W&L 9
RIT 17, Ursinus 11
St. Lawrence 9, York 8
St. Lawrence 13, CNU 12
RPI 11, York 10

South wins:
Stevens 16, Wesleyan 10
???
(Translation):
SouthieLax wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:15 pmI’ve got no legitimate response, so here’s a list of games that don’t involve Middlebury or Bowdoin that I hope gets under your skin.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Y’all. Just ignore the troll. There is no point in engaging; they just say whatever they think will get a reaction and they’re not going to change. It is what it is.

(Also…again, if you mute them, their rants get hidden and don’t clog up the boards that basically everyone else is trying to use for their actual purpose - talking lacrosse.)
Last edited by ah23 on Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:56 pm i am not sure how you are saying tufts, salisbury and RIT are evenly matched. RIT dominated when they played tufts. lead the entire way.
1. Depends how much weight you put on one game
2. Depends whether or not you buy the argument a few people have made that RIT is a very senior/grad student-heavy team, Tufts is a young team with new players in feature roles, and that was a big advantage for the Tigers

In general, IMO drawing hard conclusions because of one game is too reactionary. CNU beat Salisbury by ten goals in 2022...and then Salisbury controlled the rematch. Same for Union beating St. Lawrence in the regular season and then getting whacked by St.L in the LL tournament, Stevenson handling York in 2021 before York winning the rematch 11-0 (I know you remember that one), etc. You get the idea.

Doesn't mean Tufts would be favorites in the rematch (RIT -1.5? -2.5 because it will likely be played out in Rochester?), but I do think that the three usual suspects are still in a class of their own at the top of D-III.
will be interesting to see what happens in may. D3 lax is getting better each year. more and more teams can compete with the top teams. i expect to see several upsets in the tourney.
Hope so - the recent changes to the tourney have made it so much more interesting. More competitive games/unfamilar matchups, more chances for teams to make runs without playing conference opponents for the third time, etc.
nescac commit

Post by nescac commit »

Can everyone just stfu about whether other people’s takes are correct or incorrect. The beauty of this forum is that we all get to unload our Nescac opinions. Here are some helpful guidelines:

1) state your take
2) provide some evidence to support your take
3) don’t be offended if people disagree
4) alter your take when new results occur

Pretty easy fellas.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

ah23 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:00 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:56 pm i am not sure how you are saying tufts, salisbury and RIT are evenly matched. RIT dominated when they played tufts. lead the entire way.
1. Depends how much weight you put on one game
2. Depends whether or not you buy the argument a few people have made that RIT is a very senior/grad student-heavy team, Tufts is a young team with new players in feature roles, and that was a big advantage for the Tigers

In general, IMO drawing hard conclusions because of one game is too reactionary. CNU beat Salisbury by ten goals in 2022...and then Salisbury controlled the rematch. Same for Union beating St. Lawrence in the regular season and then getting whacked by St.L in the LL tournament, Stevenson handling York in 2021 before York winning the rematch 11-0 (I know you remember that one), etc. You get the idea.

Doesn't mean Tufts would be favorites in the rematch (RIT -1.5? -2.5 because it will likely be played out in Rochester?), but I do think that the three usual suspects are still in a class of their own at the top of D-III.
will be interesting to see what happens in may. D3 lax is getting better each year. more and more teams can compete with the top teams. i expect to see several upsets in the tourney.
Hope so - the recent changes to the tourney have made it so much more interesting. More competitive games/unfamilar matchups, more chances for teams to make runs without playing conference opponents for the third time, etc.
i think i see the difference. i am looking at the teams at this point in the season. i think you are looking at where the teams might be at the end. if this is correct, then yes, anything can happen. heck, even york has a shot. but as of today, york (and tufts) are not on the same level of Salisbury, RIT, and RPI.

just my opinion as of March 27th
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:56 pm
callaxdad wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:07 pm
WoodStick wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:52 pm
EasternShoreLaxGuy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:08 am
The12lov3 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:19 am Do we agree now that Tufts has reloaded and there has not been really a hiccup from last year. You might call RIT a hiccup but I think that those two teams can beat each other on any given day. Compared to how they played against RIT vs CNU/Union, it was night and day. I think if Tufts plays there A game, they could easily beat RIT. Regenery looks to be the real deal and we are starting to see Freshman getting a lot more playing time. Emsing and Beyers looks like they are the next two impactful players. Lots to be excited about especially since their are a lot Sophmores getting a substantial amount of playing time.

RPI and RIT look pretty even. we saw it in the matchup. and we can see it with similar opponents scores.

tufts can beat most teams. and tufts likes to run on the score more than other teams do. but that doesn’t make them as good as salisbury.

RPI goalie had 24 saves in the contest. That was the huge difference in the game. I don't think that qualifies RPI as evenly matched to RIT.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

The12lov3 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:19 am Do we agree now that Tufts has reloaded and there has not been really a hiccup from last year. You might call RIT a hiccup but I think that those two teams can beat each other on any given day. Compared to how they played against RIT vs CNU/Union, it was night and day. I think if Tufts plays there A game, they could easily beat RIT. Regenery looks to be the real deal and we are starting to see Freshman getting a lot more playing time. Emsing and Beyers looks like they are the next two impactful players. Lots to be excited about especially since their are a lot Sophmores getting a substantial amount of playing time.
I think Tufts thrives when they are the bigger faster team (as most teams do). The problem is that they don't get away with their run and gun game when teams can keep up with them (Specifically the other teams mids). CNU and Union don't have the athletes that SU and RIT have which allows Tufts to get up and down the field at a high rate of speed uncontested. Whereas when you have pressure at that rate of speed, they turn the ball over and look UGLY. Which leads you to say that they weren't on their "A" game. I will say they look like they have reloaded well. But they don't play many tight games due to this reason IMO
I completely agree. Am on record, love the way the Jumbos play, always have. When they are clicking they might be the most fun team in all of college lacrosse to watch. The problem is when you get a team that is also big, physical and has the speed to keep up their TO's come back to bite them in the a$$. The truly great teams can play multiple styles and can adjust, Tufts has not proven that of late.
Heres the deal, last year Tufts beat RIT and lost to Salisbury, two years ago they beat Salisbury and lost to the eventual champ RIT. Bottom line, Tufts will most likely have to go through both of them in the playoffs this year if they expect to win it all. Can they do it? Absolutely. Those 3 and prolly one or two others are fairly evenly matched. It often comes down to who's healthy and peaking in May.

And I totally agree with you WS, a really, really fun brand of lax to watch! I never played the game but, I have to believe Tufts is a very attractive place for a HS lax recruit.
i am not sure how you are saying tufts, salisbury and RIT are evenly matched. RIT dominated when they played tufts. lead the entire way. salisbury is a few steps above everyone else. and after today, watching CNU get manhandled by Williams, a 500 team barely ranked in the top 20. it makes the Tufts/CNU win, not as impressive.

at this point, it looks like Salisbury is the top team

RPI and RIT look pretty even. we saw it in the matchup. and we can see it with similar opponents scores.

tufts can beat most teams. and tufts likes to run on the score more than other teams do. but that doesn’t make them as good as salisbury.

Not sure what game you watched but, Tufts RIT was 14–11 with about eight minutes to go… Tufts had a couple of opportunities to cut it to two goals… A three goal lead with several minutes to go in lacrosse is a close game IMHO … RIT scored a couple of goals in the last couple of minutes, including an empty netter. Also, Tufts led 2-0 early… not a big deal but, you erroneously stated that RIT lead the whole way, get your facts straight… Just saying. Anyway, yes, RIT won but, dominated them, as you asserted? Sorry, you are sorely mistaken. Or just clueless.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

nescac commit wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:11 pm Can everyone just stfu about whether other people’s takes are correct or incorrect. The beauty of this forum is that we all get to unload our Nescac opinions. Here are some helpful guidelines:

1) state your take
2) provide some evidence to support your take
3) don’t be offended if people disagree
4) alter your take when new results occur

Pretty easy fellas.
cac com, thank you so much for your sage advice, you’re so erudite!! 🤣🤣 Dude, if you really think that you can get anyone here to, as you say, STFU, you are sorely mistaken!! Not saying that I necessarily disagree with you on that but, you’re clueless if you think that’s gonna happen! Ha ha. Newsflash, we live in a free democratic society where anybody is entitled to say whatever they want (especially on an open, semi-anonymous forum!!) be it right or wrong or whether you like it or not. Ergo, you can take your wonderful little well intentioned guidelines and toss them into the circular file!!
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

callaxdad wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:05 pm
I think Tufts thrives when they are the bigger faster team (as most teams do). The problem is that they don't get away with their run and gun game when teams can keep up with them (Specifically the other teams mids). CNU and Union don't have the athletes that SU and RIT have which allows Tufts to get up and down the field at a high rate of speed uncontested. Whereas when you have pressure at that rate of speed, they turn the ball over and look UGLY. Which leads you to say that they weren't on their "A" game. I will say they look like they have reloaded well. But they don't play many tight games due to this reason IMO
I completely agree. Am on record, love the way the Jumbos play, always have. When they are clicking they might be the most fun team in all of college lacrosse to watch. The problem is when you get a team that is also big, physical and has the speed to keep up their TO's come back to bite them in the a$$. The truly great teams can play multiple styles and can adjust, Tufts has not proven that of late.
Heres the deal, last year Tufts beat RIT and lost to Salisbury, two years ago they beat Salisbury and lost to the eventual champ RIT. Bottom line, Tufts will most likely have to go through both of them in the playoffs this year if they expect to win it all. Can they do it? Absolutely. Those 3 and prolly one or two others are fairly evenly matched. It often comes down to who's healthy and peaking in May.

And I totally agree with you WS, a really, really fun brand of lax to watch! I never played the game but, I have to believe Tufts is a very attractive place for a HS lax recruit.
i am not sure how you are saying tufts, salisbury and RIT are evenly matched. RIT dominated when they played tufts. lead the entire way. salisbury is a few steps above everyone else. and after today, watching CNU get manhandled by Williams, a 500 team barely ranked in the top 20. it makes the Tufts/CNU win, not as impressive.

Not sure what game you watched but, Tufts RIT was 14–11 with about eight minutes to go… Tufts had a couple of opportunities to cut it to two goals… A three goal lead with several minutes to go in lacrosse is a close game IMHO … RIT scored a couple of goals in the last couple of minutes, including an empty netter. Also, Tufts led 2-0 early… not a big deal but, you erroneously stated that RIT lead the whole way, get your facts straight… Just saying. Anyway, yes, RIT won but, dominated them, as you asserted? Sorry, you are sorely mistaken. Or just clueless.
Just to add to the above - that was around the time that Tufts took an unsportsmanlike after they scored which I believe RIT capitalized on. One would also forgot the two minute unreleasable that Tufts took earlier in the game that RIT capitalized on. Those are discipline errors and great team like RIT will make you pay. Not saying that Tufts should have won because RIT deserved to win but what I am saying is Tufts contributed to their defeat by being undisciplined. If they played more disciplined lacrosse if they meet again, they have a good shot at winning.

Anything can happen in lacrosse - that is why we play the game. No one would have picked Wesleyan to win the NC in 2018 after they lost to coast guard and Tufts x2 but they beat both RIT and Salisbury to win the championship. Anyone that thinks the top 5 to 10 teams don't have a shot at the NC are delusional. Any team can get hot and good teams can have off days. We see it time and time again.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

if you are using that argument to claim the team are equal. does it go the same way for York/salisbury? york scored first. actually the first 4. game was 14-11 in the 4th. i can look at both games and honestly say the winner was in control the entire game (except the first few mins)
WoodStick

Post by WoodStick »

bonesnjnts wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:49 pm
WoodStick wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:48 pm
bonesnjnts wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:20 pm solid win by trinity tonight in a tough season...
I am all for rose colored glasses and agree a win is a win, but "solid win", really. I think you are setting the bar just a little bit too low here. Clark is 3-7 with blowout losses to Wentworth and Salve Regina. That they only beat them by 8 (and by the way the game was 3-3 in the first quarter) should be cause for concern.
First game that all phases of team played well at the same time. They were actually down 3-1 early in the first Q. Clark is not good but it was a game Trinity has to win and they did. Clark had 3 shots on goal in the second half.

Lets see how the next 2 games play out. Then we can see if there is cause for concern. They need a bit more consistency going forward.
They should beat Bates, though they are improving and making the long trip to Lewiston is never easy. Conn will be a real test. Problem with Trinity is not the athletes, plenty of them on the field for the Bants, it is the abysmal coaching. They are undisciplined on both sides of the field and are often unprepared. They play an awful ooc schedule so they can pad stats it is a joke. The school clearly does not care about Lacrosse if they did they would get rid of the clown show running the program. Feel bad for the kids.
Wizard-Saga

Post by Wizard-Saga »

WoodStick wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am
bonesnjnts wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:20 pm solid win by trinity tonight in a tough season...
I am all for rose colored glasses and agree a win is a win, but "solid win", really. I think you are setting the bar just a little bit too low here. Clark is 3-7 with blowout losses to Wentworth and Salve Regina. That they only beat them by 8 (and by the way the game was 3-3 in the first quarter) should be cause for concern.
First game that all phases of team played well at the same time. They were actually down 3-1 early in the first Q. Clark is not good but it was a game Trinity has to win and they did. Clark had 3 shots on goal in the second half.

Lets see how the next 2 games play out. Then we can see if there is cause for concern. They need a bit more consistency going forward.
They should beat Bates, though they are improving and making the long trip to Lewiston is never easy. Conn will be a real test. Problem with Trinity is not the athletes, plenty of them on the field for the Bants, it is the abysmal coaching. They are undisciplined on both sides of the field and are often unprepared. They play an awful ooc schedule so they can pad stats it is a joke. The school clearly does not care about Lacrosse if they did they would get rid of the clown show running the program. Feel bad for the kids.
Based on this post and some of your posts, I'm guessing you are a parent from a kid who is no longer with the program (for whatever reason). Your trolling is just annoying. We get it...you don't like the Trinity coach. Just stop.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

if you are using that argument to claim the team are equal. does it go the same way for York/salisbury? york scored first. actually the first 4. game was 14-11 in the 4th. i can look at both games and honestly say the winner was in control the entire game (except the first few mins)
So now you're changing your tune from "dominated" to "in control"? OK, yes they were ahead almost the whole game. No, it wasn't back and forth with multiple lead changes. However, if you think they were comfortable at any point, until the very end, you are sorely mistaken. Anyone who saw the game knows either team could win on any given Sunday (which is when the two would most likely meet in the Semis!) Anyway, good to hear you've at least come around and are singing a different tune! :lol: :lol:
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

callaxdad wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

So now you're changing your tune from "dominated" to "in control"? OK, yes they were ahead almost the whole game. No, it wasn't back and forth with multiple lead changes. However, if you think they were comfortable at any point, until the very end, you are sorely mistaken. Anyone who saw the game knows either team could win on any given Sunday (which is when the two would most likely meet in the Semis!) Anyway, good to hear you've at least come around and are singing a different tune! :lol: :lol:
in control. dominated. they are both subjective terms.
is this the “gotcha” part of your defense? why are you so offended that your team doesn’t match up well with another team. it happens every day in sports. you are talking like Tufts has won the last 6 national championships and that every other lacrosse program is bowing down to Tufts. at some point, you have to accept that other teams are just better. now, if they meet again, anything can happen. just like if CNU and Tufts meet again, anything can happen.
shorelax12

Post by shorelax12 »

WoodStick wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

I do not have any intimate knowledge as to the coaching staff, but I am curious to hear from a Trinity insider as to the team dynamics with the transfers and whether that strategy is paying dividends. I am a big proponent of coaches bringing in their own recruiting classes and developing them during their 4 years on campus. It gives the coach a true insight as to a player's strength/weaknesses, and the ability to assess whether that player has a legitimate shot to be a contributor now, or at some time down the road. Excluding the known commodities that left high-level D3 to play D1, taking in the transfers is basically rolling the dice on an unknown commodity because that transfer probably rode the bench at whatever D1 school that they came from, and, outside of kids that simply hate the D1 grind, were probably over-recruited. I suspect that this was even more pronounced with the 2022 class since many of them were recruited mostly by video due to covid. Also, there was lot of discussion on this forum last year about several seniors leaving the before the season, I imagine that this had a huge impact on team unity, and left younger players without peer leadership. bonesnjnts, I think that your perspective as the parent is really valuable, as most of the posters on the forum do not have this type of insight, so I am always interested to hear your thoughts, especially when you are obviously watching the games, as opposed to making generalized statements about coaching, discipline schedule, etc.
HighBouncersGo

Post by HighBouncersGo »

Some interesting mid-week 'cac results after the tuesday/weds slate

Midd beats a springfield team that is ailing 0-8 but seemingly has lost some close games

Tufts doing what Tufts does and dismantles the "Garnet chargers" at home. I think Union has been missing their defensive midfield / LSM pieces as a few made the jump to D1

Babson griddies on Bowdoin. I think this is mostly a win for Conn College, rainville scoring 2g for babson is the closest CC has come to beating Bowdoin in recent years

Colby hits a stat-padder vs. maine maritime. You know the boys up there in Waterville will be spitting game this weekend and casually dropping that they each dropped 2 and 1 this week.

Williams gets one back vs CNU ... this is a confusing team, i legit have no idea if they are gonna beat Bates by 1 or beat the #6 team by 6..? interested to see how caputo and glavin do in the next few cac games

Hamilton gets one back vs MIT ... Tommy healy seemed to take this one personally... crazy what happens when MIT doesn't have a 27 yr old on the roster. Hamilton's 1st line midfield is full of studs

any lines for this weekend?
Nescac12001

Post by Nescac12001 »

choochooCharlie wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:47 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:20 pm
choochooCharlie wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:52 pm
pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:45 pm Teams such as Gettysburg, Lynchburg, CNU, W&L, previously York somehow are supposed to get credit for beating each other. Babson and Endicott are easily as impressive wins as any of those teams have vs each other.
CNU over Dickinson
= not teams you mentioned playing against each other, and far better than Endicott and Babson. :roll:

#downyear
Dickinson 😂😂 And they have beaten who? A classic one of your examples of a team ranked based pre-season hype and insular games. They beat 2-6 York. WOW! And Stevens…whose best win is over a team you say sucks. Dickinson was blown out by an obviously extremely overrated CNU. See how fun this is?!! All of the teams you hyped best wins are vs each other. #worthlesswins
I believe you’re smarter than this.
CNU beat Dickinson
A. Dickinson beat a york who was 2-4 and top 15, and that was based on their actual play, such as a 1 goal losses to RPI and RIT (from the North). So York isn’t good because of their record? But Middlebury is good despite there’s?

B. Stevens was Dickinson’s first game of the season, so they had NO record, but Stevens went on to go 7-2 with only other loss to Tufts (from the North), And I never said Wesleyan (from the North)who they beat, sucks. Is that your position?

Look at your own list of south teams. The mere fact that these teams are playing RPI, RIT, St Lawrence, Wesleyan, Williams, Amherst, and Tufts defies your point. Bowdoin has the budget to travel and play. Middlebury has the budget to travel and play. They’re choosing not to, and continuing this circular scenario up North, likely because they’re benefiting from it ranking wise, and if they didn’t, they might get exposed. What exactly don’t you get?
Bowdoin does not have the budget to travel and play. I forget the exact rule, but there’s something with the school that limits them from traveling a certain distance unless funded by the team (parents) or alumni. Last years trip to FL was funded by alums. The school does not support the team past a certain distance, and no one wants to go to Brunswick. There are limitations to Bowdoin’s OOC, as well as other NESCAC schools I’m sure, but Bowdoin in particular
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am
callaxdad wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 am

in control. dominated. they are both subjective terms.
is this the “gotcha” part of your defense? why are you so offended that your team doesn’t match up well with another team. it happens every day in sports. you are talking like Tufts has won the last 6 national championships and that every other lacrosse program is bowing down to Tufts. at some point, you have to accept that other teams are just better. now, if they meet again, anything can happen. just like if CNU and Tufts meet again, anything can happen.
Yes, however, they have quite different meanings Laxattackjackwagon!! Maybe you should Google it, you can do that on the interweb!! Why am I so offended, blah blah blah? Nope, not offended at all, Jackwagon, nor do I believe every other team is bowing to Tufts. And, I do not have to accept anything, especially something you're offering, Jackwagon!! :lol: :lol: Now thats domination!!!! BAM!!!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”