W&L 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
W&Lacrosse75

Re: W&L 2024

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Generals back on track against a very upset minded Elmhurst team that was 6-1.

W&L went ahead 10-0, and then, as happens with most teams that are lulled to sleep by a lopsided score, they were confronted with a determined opponent that put up 6 goals, With the score 11-6, the Gennies turned on the jets for 11 more goals and were ably to empty their bench in doing so.

It is great to see the guys who seldom play get some burn against a team that has surpassed even Illinois Wesleyan in their conference. Eli Spence is for real and he forced the Generals to go back to Aljader in goal. Final score, 22-10 W&L.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Oh, and I neglected to give him his due….Alex Brown had 7 goals for W&L tonight. It’s great to see so many contributors this year because it’s difficult to stop them all.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Caught both Mustang Classic contests. Your Generals look balanced and confident. Fun brand of lacrosse to take in. De Cain is maturing before your eyes. He seems to be progressing from his days in Delco. Didn't see him guessing as much against RIT or Stevie. He has the potential to be a great one. Going to try and catch the RMC game to get a read on that squad. I'm a closet Lynchburg fan, but I would love to see your Generals go deep into May.
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Today was as expected. Does anyone know why Hillis Burns apparently did not play?
Nice job giving many of the seniors significant playing time.
Things will get a little tougher next week.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Faxlax wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:32 pm Today was as expected. Does anyone know why Hillis Burns apparently did not play?
Nice job giving many of the seniors significant playing time.
Things will get a little tougher next week.
Where’s Beatty?
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

And where is Brian Barringer? I didn’t hear his name today. Same with Burns and Beatty. And I haven’t heard any update on Joey Allen since his injury. Hope the injury bug isn’t going to clip their wings as they get into Odac play. They will need all hands on deck.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Anyone have an idea why W&L is the only ODAC team not playing Virginia Wesleyan this season?

I saw something similar in soccer a few years back, but I can’t recall what the reason was. I think it was the fact that Hamden-Sydney played
every team except W&L.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:33 pm Anyone have an idea why W&L is the only ODAC team not playing Virginia Wesleyan this season?

I saw something similar in soccer a few years back, but I can’t recall what the reason was. I think it was the fact that Hamden-Sydney played
every team except W&L.
There are 11 active lacrosse programs (minus Ferrum) in the ODAC (so the most ODAC games you can play are 10). A cursory review of schedules reveals that most everyone plays at least 9 games, some as many as 10. So, if any teams only play 9 ODAC games, then they will each miss one ODAC program (out of 10 not counting themselves). For example, you already noted W&L (playing 9 ODAC games) is not playing the Marlins. Shenandoah (playing 9 ODAC games) is not playing Hampden-Sydney. And some schools, like Lynchburg, had Ferrum as part of their 9 games, but not playing them so they only have 8. Looks like a scheduling thing, and maybe the ODAC says you must play at least 9 schools, so there are other schools that more than one school could be missing too. So, that is what I found out.

valaxfan
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Thanks for that VaLax.

I guess I was just looking for the chance for W&L to equal what Lynchburg did today. But then I’m not sure that it would count for much, especially with SOS being so vital to potential tournament selection.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:39 pm Thanks for that VaLax.

I guess I was just looking for the chance for W&L to equal what Lynchburg did today. But then I’m not sure that it would count for much, especially with SOS being so vital to potential tournament selection.
that lynchburg win yesterday did nothing for them, except pad stats.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

There are a few games in the ODAC that don’t mean much, unless you lose or don’t win by at least 25 goals. Same with just about every other conference. But when you are a conference that features highly ranked, high profile programs every season, I realize you are going to receive the scrutiny that comes with the territory.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Anyone know where Hollis Burns is? Right now W&L seems to be missing Burns, Allen, Barringer, and Beatty.
Dehuntshigwa’es

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:23 pm Anyone know where Hollis Burns is? Right now W&L seems to be missing Burns, Allen, Barringer, and Beatty.
Was about to say the same thing. Beatty and Burns have to come back for Lynchburg hopefully Barringer as well. If not then certainly for ODAC playoffs. Blair Brennan seems to be getting some extra burn tonight. Intriguing athlete from Texas, good speed and quickness. Like to see him continue to develop, could be a good one, eventually becoming an offensive option for the Generals. Wish he’d drop football with their vaunted aerial game
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

After last Saturday, I was told by an on campus source that it was a combination of “maintenance, Senior Day and the opponent “ as the reason why several folks , and Burns in particular, did not play.
That now seems incorrect. Would love some insight.
Dehuntshigwa’es

13-11 Generals…. Randy Mac put up a fight all 60 minutes have to give them credit . W&L is playing to the level of the competition. This is the Yellowjacket team that was shut out in the second half against Hampden Sydney. Hope the Generals get some rest and focus for HSC,they will be fired up after witnessing tonight’s game. Generals need a really clean game going with HSC before facing Lynchburg. So much upside to this group if they can maintain their focus. They had a great schedule laid out for them this season, up to them to take advantage of the opportunity.
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Pretty ugly win. Missed passes, poor slides, and not much settled offense. Hope they get healthy before Saturday.
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:02 pm 13-11 Generals…. Randy Mac put up a fight all 60 minutes have to give them credit . W&L is playing to the level of the competition. This is the Yellowjacket team that was shut out in the second half against Hampden Sydney. Hope the Generals get some rest and focus for HSC,they will be fired up after witnessing tonight’s game. Generals need a really clean game going with HSC before facing Lynchburg. So much upside to this group if they can maintain their focus. They had a great schedule laid out for them this season, up to them to take advantage of the opportunity.
I think you need to give a little more credit to RMC. RMC shot 0-21 in the second half against HSC, thats terrible shooting more than stout defense, which means they had plenty of opportunities to score. Look at the stat line form last nights game, RMC outshot W&L 23-12 in the second half.

I do believe the RMC is better than Hampden-Sydney this year, even though they lost, but W&L beats up on HSC Saturday 16-7
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Generals win an ugly game, in the mist and rain, last night. They aren't the same team that started the year, so they are subbing in different players, with less experience to fill holes. This should make them better at years end but right now, its an adjustment for them. I have watched RMC play, and I think they are a decent team but if both teams had all their players, I don't believe the game would be as close. But, in spurts, they did outplay the Gennies last night, and did outshoot us, and this was despite a great game by Spano at the X. But, W&L is adjusting with new players, getting much needed game experience, and had some sloppy passing. Two players we are missing are Beatty and Barringer, big time, not sure of their return. Also, missed Burns last night at attack. And, Joey Allen is not playing, another big hole that Michael Ott has done a great job assisting on goals, for Allen, at midfield, and now Burns, at attack. Jed Heald is having an AA type season at close D.

Good to see Will Bou at the FO X last night as well.

valaxfan
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Good assessment Va Lax Fan.

Way too many W&L “trashers” out there.

When they win against a decent team, the reaction is either silence or “they didn’t really beat anyone.” When they lose to a strong team, it is “see, they aren’t a top tier team.” In the case of Randy Mac, they managed to circle the wagons with a third of their starters out and win an away game in swamp-like conditions.

I was proud of the effort “under the circumstances.”
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Robert Bath, W&L commit for next season from Gonzaga College High School, just named MVP of the Jesuit Classic in DC. He scored the last two goals of regulation and fed the crease attack-man for the winning goal in OT vs Georgetown Prep. The game was played in front of 75% capacity at Georgetown University stadium.

Looks to be a good find for the Generals.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”