SUNY 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
shouldofbeenbetter

Re: SUNY 2024

Post by shouldofbeenbetter »

I agree Brockport lax should better, our annual game with OSW is always close,
Our next two games are winnable, need to limit the turnovers.
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

Potsdam drops 9-5 to Clarkson with a few starters banged up. I felt like the game was closer than the scoreline. Potsdam’s chink in the armor is decidedly at Face-off and they need better wing play, while teaching the Fogo rakes/counters instead of trying to win it outright.

Hoping to bounce back Saturday!
shouldofbeenbetter

I agree the Potsdam / Clarkson game was closer than the score.
I think Potsdam and Oswego are evenly matched, Saturday should be a good one.
Tough day for all SUNY teams yesterday.
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

Heartbreaker for my Bears, but it played out almost as predicted!

Kudos to the Lakers on almost erasing P Walsh from the game on defense.

Now we have to take care of business with the games we can win left and hope to cling onto that fourth spot for playoffs!
shouldofbeenbetter

Yea close game as expected, hard fought by both teams.
I expect OSW and Potsdam to give Geneseo a close game.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

shouldofbeenbetter wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:50 am Yea close game as expected, hard fought by both teams.
I expect OSW and Potsdam to give Geneseo a close game.
Don't see why not with the way those two teams are playing vs. how Geneseo has been playing.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

Geneseo looks a little tepid to me dodging, if the Bears come out hungrier and grittier this weekend they certainly have a chance to beat them
shouldofbeenbetter

I agree Potsdam can beat Geneseo, it would make the upcoming SUNYAC games more interesting.
Cortland has Naz today, I expect a win here BUT our SUNYAC teams vs non league teams record
hasn't been too good this year.
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

Nothing but sweet sweet misery for me this week between the Potsdam and Cuse results/performances

WOOF
dp68

Post by dp68 »

For the month, Cortland has outplayed Geneseo. But not so much over the last few days. Geneseo with an impressive blowout versus Potsdam, and Cortland needed a late-game rally to beat Brockport 11-10. I continue to believe a playoff rematch between Geneseo and Cortland (should it happen) will look very different from the first meeting.

Not much more you can say about Cortland vs. Brockport other than college kids will be college kids. Short turnaround, lack of motivation, whatever. It also helped that the Golden Eagles goalie stood on his head. What a day he had!

How do you push RIT in a very competitive game, rally to beat a solid Naz team, then darn well almost lose to a struggling Brockport team? The Red Dragons had better take Potsdam seriously.
Cortlandlaxdad21

Post by Cortlandlaxdad21 »

I was impressed with Brockport mens lacrosse in their game against Cortland. I felt as if Brockport has new life and finally played a full 60 minutes against Cortland. We will see how they do against Utica and their remaining schedule of SUNYAC games. Cortland did not play well, they had good shots but bad placement. I was very impressed with Brockports dmid number 22. He was all over the field, throwing hard and clean take away checks. He has been starting to play two may middie and has really help their offense. I think that he has given new life to the team.
shouldofbeenbetter

I didn't see the Bport vs Cortland game and I was really surprised when i saw the final score.
I watched Bport yesterday and it was the best game i watched them play this year. Def and goalie played well.
Offense ? I'm not sold on them, 3 passes up top and then a 15 yard shot, not going to get it done. Need more ball movement !
Not sure that's enough to beat Oneonta or Potsdam.
Also from yesterday IMO was too many penalties for Bport, luckily man down unit played was well.
Now with a few weeks left to the season it gets very interesting for Bport, Oneonta, Potsdam.
Bport 1-2 Onenota 1-2 Potsdam 1-2 in the SUNYAC. Who plays the best for the 4th spot ?
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Your Golden Eagles are looking better. Cortland had no answer for #8 on attack.
shouldofbeenbetter

Yes # 8 is very good and he is having a good year and the team is playing better.
Goalie play and def has improved. If you look at their record and look how many goals they
gave up in the first 6 games, wasn't good. They seemed to have tighten it up.
Saturday is a big game for both Bport and Oneonta.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Like Cortland, Brockport archives their video replays. You should check out that game. Brockport controlled the game defensively.

Game day! Mother Nature loves to bring her worst on Saturdays, or so it seems. I'll be flipping between games on ESPN+ and Big Ten+ while streaming D3 games on my PC. Good thing I can multitask.

I've run a rating system for several years. It usually produces good predictions by this time of the season. Here is what the system says about the SUNY games:

Geneseo over New Paltz
Oswego over Plattsburgh
Cortland over Potsdam
Oneonta over Brockport

I'm going against the system and picking Brockport to beat Oneonta.

FYI top rated teams in D3:

1. Salisbury
2. RIT
3. Tufts
4. Bowdoin
shouldofbeenbetter

Thanks for the replay info. No surprises today in the SUNYAC, the Bport vs Oneonta game we knew
could of went either way. I think todays loss for Bport takes them out of the 4th spot.
Looks like the 4th spot will be determined on the last week of the season.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Shots fired. Oswego beats Nazareth. We have a legitimate three-team race for the SUNY championship.
shouldofbeenbetter

Nice win for OSW, Naz is a good team.
We knew Geneseo was over matched, same for Oneonta.
Would of liked to see Cortland beat their out of league rival, but have to wait till next year.
And Plattsburgh is handled by New P.
So where are we as a league ?? We've didn't do well against our Liberty League neighbors this year.
Not soo bad against our Empire 8 neighbors but that league is top heavy.
Golden Eagles should beat Plattsburgh this weekend, then Geneseo and Potsdam to follow and they
will need to win.
Enjoy your remaining lax season.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

SUNY is way behind the Liberty but pretty comparable to the Empire 8. After Geneseo departs, SUNY will fall below the Empire, unless Oswego takes their place, one more team steps up, and Cortland returns to early 2010s form.

The Red Dragons are a lot more pedestrian than many realize. They're still good enough to compete for a SUNY title, but the talent level on the field is nowhere near the roster from 11-12 years ago. I doubt anyone in the league is still intimidated by them. A few good recruiting classes would make them strong again. We'll see what Rogers can do with an abbreviated recruiting year in 2023-2024, and then beyond.
shouldofbeenbetter

That's a good assessment of the SUNYAC lax league. It's a little disappointing to me
to see where the SUNYAC is today, as compared to other Div 3 Lax conferences.
Conferences that we were ahead of for years.
We need Cortland to return to being a national div 3 power, like Salisbury. ( State School )
Losing Geneseo and Brockport too- doesn't help.

Coming down to the end of the year, Potsdam has 3 winnable games, where Oneonta
has a tougher schedule to finish the regular season.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”