UVA 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: UVA 2024

Post by The Orfling »

Congrats to UVA on a strong, complete win over the Terps. Really well-executed -- can't remember the last time in the shot clock era I saw a team with under 10 turnovers. UVA is always great off the ground but to have a significant ground ball advantage against a good team like Maryland while going under 50% at the X is impressive.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:02 pm Congrats to UVA on a strong, complete win over the Terps. Really well-executed -- can't remember the last time in the shot clock era I saw a team with under 10 turnovers. UVA is always great off the ground but to have a significant ground ball advantage against a good team like Maryland while going under 50% at the X is impressive.
Thanks. Think most at Virginia would say, we performed well enough against Wierman to negate what has been a big Terp advantage and were happy with our performance. Ghobriel even went 50%. face offs were not a big enough determinant to change the complexion of the game, so an advantage to Virginia
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

Props to Connor Shellenberger to surpass Matt Moore as the school's all-time points leader!

https://www.streakingthelawn.com/2024/3 ... matt-moore
Finster

Post by Finster »

Is it really too much to ask a paid lacrosse announcer to know Griffin Shutz’s last name is NOT SCHULTZ, like Seargent Schultz?

It’s SCHUTZ, like he ‘shuts’ the door. And he’s got a rocket shot.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Finster wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:38 pm Is it really too much to ask a paid lacrosse announcer to know Griffin Shutz’s last name is NOT SCHULTZ, like Seargent Schultz?

Think he is happy with his hat trick anyway.
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

Finster wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:38 pm Is it really too much to ask a paid lacrosse announcer to know Griffin Shutz’s last name is NOT SCHULTZ, like Seargent Schultz?

the list of complaints about that guy is long. He should have paid the listeners to have to hear him. Absolutely terrible. Is it that hard to find an announcer with some familiarity with lacrosse who can read?
Finster

Post by Finster »

UVAlaxfan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:01 am

the list of complaints about that guy is long. He should have paid the listeners to have to hear him. Absolutely terrible. Is it that hard to find an announcer with some familiarity with lacrosse who can read?

Every time he says "SCHULTZ" I die a little. I mean, really, he can't get the basic pronunciation of a player's last name, a player who isn't exactly a unknown commodity? :lol:

FWIW: Schutz has 14 goals already on the year.

Also, I didn't know this until just looked at the schedule, but I guess UVA's next game is the 30th at Harvard. That night be a surprisingly difficult game for the Hoos.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Finster wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:44 am
UVAlaxfan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:01 am

Every time he says "SCHULTZ" I die a little. I mean, really, he can't get the basic pronunciation of a player's last name, a player who isn't exactly a unknown commodity? :lol:

FWIW: Schutz has 14 goals already on the year.

Also, I didn't know this until just looked at the schedule, but I guess UVA's next game is the 30th at Harvard. That night be a surprisingly difficult game for the Hoos.
I would add that every game from here on out might be surprisingly difficult. We enter conference play after Harvard so no gimmes left. Anyone left can beat Virginia and some probably will.
RussianTroll

Post by RussianTroll »

Agreed I, the game commander learn how to say griffof schutlov name. Very bad!!
molo

Post by molo »

Prediction for the Harvard game? I’ll go out on a limb and say UVA will be held under 20 in the first half but that the margin of victory will be greater than last year.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

molo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:05 pm Prediction for the Harvard game? I’ll go out on a limb and say UVA will be held under 20 in the first half but that the margin of victory will be greater than last year.
Why? Has Professor Claudine Gay decided to suit up? Might be tighter than many envision.
molo

Post by molo »

Colsey didn’t play last weekend, and Cormier may have been dinged up. FOGO status is uncertain. I would imagine anyone who is slightly injured will sit this one out. Harvard is not bad although Cornell, Yale, and Princeton are better. They are comparable to Penn and better than Brown and Dartmouth. I would guess that a likely ff team, even without a few starters, should handle a team that appears to be in contention for a spot in the ILT. UVA by something like 16-11 seems reasonable.
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

I, of course, had Nunes down as scoring the game winner. {sarcasm font off}
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
molo

Post by molo »

Played with fire today and damn near got burned.
Finster

Post by Finster »

molo wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:45 pm Played with fire today and damn near got burned.

Molo or any UVA fan,

What’s going on with UVA’s FOGO situation? Haven’t seen Braun anywhere, and appears as if Ghobriel is now out.

More interesting to me is Tiffany somehow got 3 grad transfer FOGO’s. I mean, it’s been a godsend, but has any team ever recruited so many transfer FOGO’s ever? Was Braun the only undergrad FOGO on the squad? Is there a redshirt somewhere?
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

They will find out soon. UNC’s freshman FO Wambach is winning over 60%.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Finster wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:36 am
molo wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:45 pm Played with fire today and damn near got burned.

Molo or any UVA fan,

What’s going on with UVA’s FOGO situation? Haven’t seen Braun anywhere, and appears as if Ghobriel is now out.

More interesting to me is Tiffany somehow got 3 grad transfer FOGO’s. I mean, it’s been a godsend, but has any team ever recruited so many transfer FOGO’s ever? Was Braun the only undergrad FOGO on the squad? Is there a redshirt somewhere?
Virginia played with what was considered their 3rd and 4th best Face off guys at Harvard. Braun, out injured, was the original starter but Ghobriel has been their best player there. Ghobriel has missed several games but they will likely need him. There is a 1st year player being redshirted who was a n under the radar recruit.
Finster

Post by Finster »

blue angels wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:43 am

Molo or any UVA fan,

Virginia played with what was considered their 3rd and 4th best Face off guys at Harvard. Braun, out injured, was the original starter but Ghobriel has been their best player there. Ghobriel has missed several games but they will likely need him. There is a 1st year player being redshirted who was a n under the radar recruit.

Thanks.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

the announcers for the Harvard game were a refreshing change from the usual tripe.....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Molo or any UVA fan,

the gift of having lasalla for 4 years has outshined the turnover and misses they've had in recruiting. 2 "top" high school fogos have transferred out, one entered the portal mid-2023 season, and they had no "top" '23 recruit likely because that guy came in in 2022.. but the main issue is after lasalla, they haven't recruited one hoo has translated success to college. they also lost duke's naso to a flip (good chance lasalla taking huge reps played a role).

so only braun returned from the '23 roster, and he was injured throughout last year and redshirted. they got desouza from a v good bingo career, it probably helped he's a virginia resident and his older brother played at uva. ghobriel was next and a big portal win, not a grad student but a player that played his 2 years at navy and then transferred out before his full usna committment was locked in. probably helped he had a teammate (mencke) his year from highland park, tx, and more pipeline saustad was also from that football powerhouse when ghobriel went there, and each were supposedly great football players. both of those guys did high 50s - 60% at their previous schools.

the surprise was colucci(colgate). he got in to a grad school at uva and informed the coaches he wanted to walk on. again, he did pretty well at his alma mater, made the team and has taken almost 100 faceoffs now and effectively was mvp vs harvard with his late game heroics.

ghobriel was hurt in game 3, came back for 2 games, but hasn't been seen since the towson game. braun has only been able to make it out there for the hopkins game all year. it's been a lot of by committee mixing so far, hopefully ghobriel especially can make it back healthy.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”