The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: 2024

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:46 am
old salt wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:34 am The impact of NAFTA on trucking & freight rail.

https://www.labworksusa.com/blogs/impac ... n-trucking
Before the implementation of NAFTA, the trucking industry in North America was heavily regulated by individual countries. The United States and Canada had strict regulations regarding cross-border transportation, which made it difficult for trucks to move goods between the two countries. Mexico had even more stringent rules and only allowed Mexican trucking companies (Mexican drivers and Mexican trucks), and carriers to transport goods within its borders.

Due to these regulations, the majority of cross-border trade was done via rail or air transport. Trucks were used primarily for domestic transportation within each country.

NAFTA has had a significant impact on the trucking industry. The agreement has resulted in increased trade between the United States, Canada, and Mexico, leading to more demand for cross-border shipping services. This has created new opportunities for trucking companies to expand their operations and increase revenues.

NAFTA freight flow by mode. (2016 to 2017)
https://www.bts.gov/newsroom/september- ... ht-numbers Total : Truck -- +2.8% / Rail -- -3.3%
US <=> Mexico : Truck +2.8% / Rail -- -9.6%

Trick vs Rail for JIT (just in time shipping)
https://blog.anderinger.com/blog/rail-t ... s-and-cons
Shipping by rail is:
-- Heavily reliant on ocean carriers who give poor visibility into shipments
-- Constrained by port congestion, as cargo can wait up to a month in congested ports like LA before it moves
-- Impacted by “metering,” where rail companies limit the number of containers that can move inland when inland depots are congested

Shipping by truck :
-- Offers predictable schedules by transporting goods where they need to be in just a few days
-- Is better for perishable foods, medicines, and other sensitive products
-- Offers just-in-time delivery and door-to-door service

Biden's passenger rail subsidies :
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... ture%20Law.
Will upgrade infrastructure that is shared with freight rail.

https://railroads.dot.gov/about-fra/com ... -billion-0
...more than $1.4 billion from President Biden’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law into 70 rail improvement projects in 35 states and Washington, D.C. This is the largest amount ever awarded for rail safety and rail supply chain upgrades...
...the majority of selected projects support freight rail safety and supply chains...
:lol: So your idea why "rail doesn't work" in America is: decade after decade, spend almost nothing on rail infrastructure, and nearly all of it on asphalt roads........and then throw up your hands and say "rail doesn't work". Oh, and then blame NAFTA as an add on.

This is why your WWII way of thinking is getting replaced by smarter...and more fair.....use of tax dollars.

Have a look at the second chart on this page. Have a look at the MASSIVE blue part that represents spending on asphalt roads.

Then take out a magnifying glass, and look at the tee-tiny sliver of purple that represents infrastructure spending on rail.

See the problem yet? Still wanna whine and complain and tell the forum that taking a fraction of what we spend on roads, and put them in rails would make rail more feasible.

This is how you and Republicans think: fleece taxpayers for billions of dollars to subsidize roads for gas cars and trucks....give NOTHING to rails....

....and then come on here, and lecture us as to how making rails work is just impossible.

You're gaslighting again. You're not this stupid, and know perfectly well that we can move some of that spending to rails, and rails would work just fine. You're arguing to argue.

Having rail designed for small firms like mine would be a HUGE help to us, and pull more trucks off the roads. You know doggone well you agree with this approach, and are gaslighting again.

This is why posters let you have it. You don't believe what you are posting....and then you act shocked when your fellow posters make fun of your silly posts.

https://enotrans.org/article/70-year-tr ... -spending/
Before private equity bought them out, we participated in their bank deal…..Was in their offices twice a year….Good thing these people don’t think like Old Soldier…….

https://www.railwayage.com/freight/shor ... edibility/
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

a fan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:46 am trains
In the $2 trillion bill passed by the HOUSE yesterday, how much did ole Joe send cho cho train industries way ?

exactly

Poor ole Joe. It must have been real, real hard for his homophobic self, to "compromise" with the MAGA types in banning the LBGTQ flag from being flown at our US Embassies. Like pos tRump did.

taats baby, taats.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

runrussellrun wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:56 am
In the $2 trillion bill passed by the HOUSE yesterday, how much did ole Joe send cho cho train industries way ?

exactly

Poor ole Joe. It must have been real, real hard for his homophobic self, to "compromise" with the MAGA types in banning the LBGTQ flag from being flown at our US Embassies. Like pos tRump did.

taats baby, taats.
Because you think Biden should behave like The Freedom Caucus and stick to Democratic guns to let the country crash and burn over rainbow flags. Just to get their way.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:38 pm

exactly

taats baby, taats.
Because you think Biden should behave like The Freedom Caucus and stick to Democratic guns to let the country crash and burn over rainbow flags. Just to get their way.
Joe behaving like Joe is bad enough. The mild mannered and kind hearted Joe went on a industrial strength hissy fit excoriating and verbally abusing his staff out of frustration his pole numbers suck. Do any of you mother eff the people that work for you? Joes miserable and mean spirited disposition is seldom seen in public. He saved that pent up frustration and takes it out on his most trusted people. There clearly is kind old Joe and miserable mean and nasty rat bastard Joe. One thing you can say about trump, he will never be mistaken for being kind old donald he is a miserable old SOB 24/7/365.
So one way or another the American people will have their choice of which miserable old SOB they prefer. :roll:
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

yeah, because it doesn't matter...
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

exactly

taats baby, taats.
yeah, we get it. You're cool with Biden's hate towards the LGBT community what's changed? He's been that way his entire life.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:23 pm

exactly

taats baby, taats.
Joe behaving like Joe is bad enough. The mild mannered and kind hearted Joe went on a industrial strength hissy fit excoriating and verbally abusing his staff out of frustration his pole numbers suck. Do any of you mother eff the people that work for you? Joes miserable and mean spirited disposition is seldom seen in public. He saved that pent up frustration and takes it out on his most trusted people. There clearly is kind old Joe and miserable mean and nasty rat bastard Joe. One thing you can say about trump, he will never be mistaken for being kind old donald he is a miserable old SOB 24/7/365.
So one way or another the American people will have their choice of which miserable old SOB they prefer. :roll:
there are plenty of other presidential candidates,
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:44 pm yeah, because it doesn't matter...
It depends what your expectations are of the POTUS. I highly doubt Ronald Reagan would ever have verbally abused his own staff. What matters MD or what use to matter was character. Neither one of these 2 jack wagons is worthy of being POTUS. Neither one is a POTUS I will ever have any respect for. You don't have to agree with my opinion. The ever increasing number of Americans running away from these 2 substandard candidates says it all. Democrats and Republicans should be embarrassed and ashamed to present these 2 candidates to the American people.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

runrussellrun wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:53 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:23 pm

exactly

taats baby, taats.
there are plenty of other presidential candidates,
I'm actually contemplating RFK. Any Kennedy that can tick off the whole Kennedy clan is alright in my book.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Duchess of Cambridge has cancer. Biden's fault.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:54 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:44 pm yeah, because it doesn't matter...
It depends what your expectations are of the POTUS. I highly doubt Ronald Reagan would ever have verbally abused his own staff. What matters MD or what use to matter was character. Neither one of these 2 jack wagons is worthy of being POTUS. Neither one is a POTUS I will ever have any respect for. You don't have to agree with my opinion. The ever increasing number of Americans running away from these 2 substandard candidates says it all. Democrats and Republicans should be embarrassed and ashamed to present these 2 candidates to the American people.
I think we understand your view, I just think it's a rather silly complaint that Biden rips his staff occasionally. I played for a lot of coaches who ripped their players occasionally (I didn't like it) and I've worked for multiple bosses who did so...not my style, but I think there's very little evidence that Biden's actually an abusive boss and lots and lots of evidence that he basically has a generous heart. We all have bad days, bad moments. And his job is 24/7.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Are You Better Off Than Four Years Ago? OMG You Have Got to Be Kidding Me.
“ARE YOU BETTER OFF THAN YOU WERE FOUR YEARS AGO?” blared Trump’s Truth Social account last Monday.

Let’s take a trip back, shall we?

This week, four years ago, Trump was in the throes of dangerous denial as his extravagant mishandling of the COVID crisis plunged the nation into almost hourly panic attacks. There were already about 18,000 reported cases in the United States, and more than 260 deaths.

Trigger warning on this one: On March 21, 2020, Trump tweeted, “HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE & AZITHROMYCIN, taken together, have a real chance to be one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine,” which was as untrue then as it is now. Two days later—four years ago today, on Day 63 of the crisis—it was reported that an Arizona man died after intentionally ingesting chloroquine phosphate, a fish tank cleaner. Trump told a press briefing, “Parts of our country are very lightly affected.” Just a few days later, the country he ran, and wants to run again, reported more coronavirus cases than any other country.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:07 pm Duchess of Cambridge has cancer. Biden's fault.
my senator has cancer?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:07 pm Duchess of Cambridge has cancer. Biden's fault.
stop clogging up our presidential election thread with your royal worship
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:54 pm Democrats and Republicans should be embarrassed and ashamed to present these 2 candidates to the American people.
+100

Only difference is that the Dems own up to the fact that the nomination is on them.

Republicans think that "someone else" magically casts nomination votes in the Republican primary, and refuses to take responsibility for nominating Trump three times in 12 years. It's like talking to toddlers, where they're telling mommy that "someone else" soiled their diaper. This patently stoopid attitude is why I believe that the Republican party is OVER, and won't return for another 50 years.

And please, tell me I'm crazy. It's been 12 years, and counting with this idiocy.

And these wankers STILL don't have a plan or a freaking platform as to how to move America's working class into the 2020's, and regain America's dominance in education, infrastructure, and health care. I'm SICK of Republican voters letting their leaders get away with doing NOTHING while in Congress.

And I should add: I think it's great that you refuse to vote for either candidate. The ability to vote for whomever the F you want is a million times more important than who you actually vote for.

When I hear people whine that "a vote for a Third Party is the same as a vote for Trump/Biden? My response is: F you.....next time put up a better candidate.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

a fan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:49 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:54 pm Democrats and Republicans should be embarrassed and ashamed to present these 2 candidates to the American people.
+100

Only difference is that the Dems own up to the fact that the nomination is on them.

Republicans think that "someone else" magically casts nomination votes in the Republican primary, and refuses to take responsibility for nominating Trump three times in 12 years. It's like talking to toddlers, where they're telling mommy that "someone else" soiled their diaper. This patently stoopid attitude is why I believe that the Republican party is OVER, and won't return for another 50 years.

And please, tell me I'm crazy. It's been 12 years, and counting with this idiocy.

And these wankers STILL don't have a plan or a freaking platform as to how to move America's working class into the 2020's, and regain America's dominance in education, infrastructure, and health care. I'm SICK of Republican voters letting their leaders get away with doing NOTHING while in Congress.

And I should add: I think it's great that you refuse to vote for either candidate. The ability to vote for whomever the F you want is a million times more important than who you actually vote for.

When I hear people whine that "a vote for a Third Party is the same as a vote for Trump/Biden? My response is: F you.....next time put up a better candidate.
I think YA likes to think I voted for Joe, and it's also my fault Trump is the "GOP" nominee.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

runrussellrun wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:50 pm

exactly

taats baby, taats.
yeah, we get it. You're cool with Biden's hate towards the LGBT community what's changed? He's been that way his entire life.
I'll repeat, because you think Biden should behave like The Freedom Caucus and stick to Democratic guns to let the country crash and burn over rainbow flags. Just to get their way.

Screw the rainbow flags over embassies. I'll take the law he signs and floodlights at the White House.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... l-signing/
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:49 pm
+100

I don't think any sane person could debate the fact that the Republican party has gone full blown FUBAR. They can't even find a speaker they don't throw under the bus every few months. The Democrat party HAS to find some new blood. What I mean by that are Democrats willing to back up the bus from their far left wing members. IMO at this point in time the Republican party is broken beyond repair. I'm guessing trump will exceed 74 million votes in 2024. I can't as of yet understand how that can be. When your choice is one miserable SOB or the other miserable SOB does it really matter? The rot gets deeper when you see how the Congress and Senate are joining in the dysfunction. :roll:
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:12 pm The Democrat party HAS to find some new blood. What I mean by that are Democrats willing to back up the bus from their far left wing members.
That's not the problem. The problem is the ones who focus on culture war issues that gets Conservatives' panties in a bunch.

You can be "far left", and govern well. What this means is simple: aggressively pro-Union, pro-worker protection, ditch NAFTA, ditch Trickle down economics, give free health care, free education/training, and spend 20x times what we do on education.

In every other 1st world nation, Cradle? The above is MODERATE, not wide-eyed liberal.

We TRIED trickle down and free market. It doesn't work. Clearly. Obviously. 50 years Right Wing economics, executed by both Dems and Rs', has failed so freaking badly that America's lifespans are going DOWN. This is ABSURD and inexcusable for a country with the biggest GDP on Earth...because you don't buy infrastructure and goods and services with GDP. You buy it with CASH.

And America is holding all the poker chips. I'm tired of us acting like we don't.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:50 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:12 pm The Democrat party HAS to find some new blood. What I mean by that are Democrats willing to back up the bus from their far left wing members.
That's not the problem. The problem is the ones who focus on culture war issues that gets Conservatives' panties in a bunch.

You can be "far left", and govern well. What this means is simple: aggressively pro-Union, pro-worker protection, ditch NAFTA, ditch Trickle down economics, give free health care, free education/training, and spend 20x times what we do on education.

In every other 1st world nation, Cradle? The above is MODERATE, not wide-eyed liberal.

We TRIED trickle down and free market. It doesn't work. Clearly. Obviously. 50 years Right Wing economics, executed by both Dems and Rs', has failed so freaking badly that America's lifespans are going DOWN. This is ABSURD and inexcusable for a country with the biggest GDP on Earth...because you don't buy infrastructure and goods and services with GDP. You buy it with CASH.

And America is holding all the poker chips. I'm tired of us acting like we don't.
You know this already, that is not how the game is played in NYS. The FLP Democrats run this state with an iron fist with little tolerance for those with political differences. They have effectively made the Republican party a non factor in this state. They have the numbers and what they say goes. I witness the dysfunction in state government on a daily basis. We are lucky that in Monroe County we have a progressive Democrat named Adam Bello who has done an outstanding job as County Executive. He has a unique ability to get everyone to get along for the most part.

Return to “POLITICS”