NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
SixBySix

Re: NESCAC

Post by SixBySix »

BallBag wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:05 am Just some friendly banter here...because it does not happen too often here for the NESCAC people.... but man, Liberty League seems to be wearing "the heavy-weight belt" right now. I know it's early and it's the "last man standing," but not many OOC games left. You say maybe 2-3 bids to the NCAA's but besides Tufts, I mean, who would it even be?

What about Liberty? 4 teams? The meat of the schedules are about to happen...
Amherst is in great shape with the Swat and Gettysburg wins.
Low2high22

Post by Low2high22 »

BallBag wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:05 am Just some friendly banter here...because it does not happen too often here for the NESCAC people.... but man, Liberty League seems to be wearing "the heavy-weight belt" right now. I know it's early and it's the "last man standing," but not many OOC games left. You say maybe 2-3 bids to the NCAA's but besides Tufts, I mean, who would it even be?

I want to say Amherst because they have two solid OOC wins. But they need to handle business more than ever in conference. Idk what happened to Middlebury. Bowdoin looks good but they lost Endicott so that doesn’t help there chances. As long as they get an AQ that’s not a bad loss
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Duckdad wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:35 pm Tough week for the upper half of the NESCAC versus the stem schools. RPI, RIT, Stevens, union taking care of business. Stevens was dominant today. Goals called back score should’ve been 20-8
Congrats to Stevens, outstanding work by the D. Good luck with the rest of the season Duckdad.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Oh yes, this year LL is most definitely >>>NESCAC. If the top LL teams take care of business in conference, they deserve 4 bids (and those teams can do some damage in the tourney). The question would be, as has happened many time to CAC, are most put in the same bracket so they end up having play each other early and knocking each other off. Otherwise, it wouldn't be crazy to see 2 or even 3 in semis. As for CAC, Amherst has an extremely tough schedule. 2 huge wins already vs Swath and Gettysburg but still with Lynchburg and RPI to come. Split those and lose no more than 2 league games they are a lock. Win both and they can lose 3 league games and possibly 4 and get in. Lose both, if they run CAC except Tufts they would still likely be in. Bowdoin, if they lose to Tufts and 1 more (and not to a bottom of the league team)? Maybe? They better hope Endicott runs the table, that they beat Babson and that Babson then wins NEWMAC. Even then they will be very tenuous.
WoodStick

Post by WoodStick »

Not happy about it but is there little doubt as to which conference is the best this year. LL is absolutely handing it to the NESCAC and it is not even close. You can talk about all the guys who have moved on and contributing to D1 teams, that is completely insignificant, Best on Best was not close, Middlebury is 0-2 losing to RPI and Union, Trinity lost to Skidmore (who has shown they are not a top 20 team), Williams loses by 1 to Union and then gets blown out yesterday by RPI. NESCAC has a couple more opportunities but pretty much fair to say that outside Tufts and Bowdoin will be hard to make a case for any other team to make the tourney.
jumpman23

Post by jumpman23 »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:52 am

Oh yes, this year LL is most definitely >>>NESCAC. If the top LL teams take care of business in conference, they deserve 4 bids (and those teams can do some damage in the tourney). The question would be, as has happened many time to CAC, are most put in the same bracket so they end up having play each other early and knocking each other off. Otherwise, it wouldn't be crazy to see 2 or even 3 in semis. As for CAC, Amherst has an extremely tough schedule. 2 huge wins already vs Swath and Gettysburg but still with Lynchburg and RPI to come. Split those and lose no more than 2 league games they are a lock. Win both and they can lose 3 league games and possibly 4 and get in. Lose both, if they run CAC except Tufts they would still likely be in. Bowdoin, if they lose to Tufts and 1 more (and not to a bottom of the league team)? Maybe? They better hope Endicott runs the table, that they beat Babson and that Babson then wins NEWMAC. Even then they will be very tenuous.
I figure whichever Amherst or Bowdoin makes the NESCAC finals against Tufts, they get a bid. Amherst could still be in for a 3rd NESCAC bid if they make the semis.
smoova

Post by smoova »

WoodStick wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:08 am You can talk about all the guys who have moved on and contributing to D1 teams, that is completely insignificant, Best on Best was not close, Middlebury is 0-2 losing to RPI and Union ...
To make matters even worse, Midd actually had 3 starters from 2023 return as "super seniors" instead of moving on to DI like their peers from Amherst, Tufts, Hamilton, etc. Not sure results would have been different if they'd moved on, but it's a curious data point.
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

It’s not as bad as everyone is suggesting. Absolutely the Liberty is in its own tier this year (like the NESCAC last year) and should be feeling fat and happy. And 4 bid seems pretty certain. But after that the NESCAC stacks up very well for Pool C

Tufts- beat CNU
Amherst- beat Gettysburg, Swarthmore
Hamilton- beat Lynchburg
Wesleyan- beat Roanoke, Stockton

Those teams are from the conferences the NESCAC will be competing for bids with. There really aren’t many other teams who will be in the mix in D3 and there are 10 bids to go around. The losses to Endicott and Babson likely won’t hurt much because they should be AQ winners.
Papa-Panter

Post by Papa-Panter »

Hearing whispering of rolling suspensions at CC due to “misconduct” of the lacrosse team (assuming party). I’m wondering how this will impact the match up with my panthers tomorrow now. Any input helps!
ergit

Post by ergit »

Papa-Panter wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:40 pm Hearing whispering of rolling suspensions at CC due to “misconduct” of the lacrosse team (assuming party). I’m wondering how this will impact the match up with my panthers tomorrow now. Any input helps!
What, NESCAC don’t party…?
Ilovelax37

Post by Ilovelax37 »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:52 am

I was at the RPI/ Williams game and RPI went pretty deep into their bench in the 4th quarter. RPI is legit this year
Bucket

Post by Bucket »

smoova wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:42 am
WoodStick wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:08 am You can talk about all the guys who have moved on and contributing to D1 teams, that is completely insignificant, Best on Best was not close, Middlebury is 0-2 losing to RPI and Union ...
To make matters even worse, Midd actually had 3 starters from 2023 return as "super seniors" instead of moving on to DI like their peers from Amherst, Tufts, Hamilton, etc. Not sure results would have been different if they'd moved on, but it's a curious data point.
Though the best of the super seniors—Luke Simpson—hasn't played a minute this year, breaking his collarbone in preseason.
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

I'm not so sure Swat and G-Burg's wins are going to count for much unless those teams right the ship.
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

They will matter. Take away all the teams that will win the AQ, give the Liberty 3 at-large bids. That still leaves 7 bids. Who gets them? That’s a lot to go around and no one else is going to have the resume to compete with the top 3 or 4 NESCAC.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

SouthieLax wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:07 pm They will matter. Take away all the teams that will win the AQ, give the Liberty 3 at-large bids. That still leaves 7 bids. Who gets them? That’s a lot to go around and no one else is going to have the resume to compete with the top 3 or 4 NESCAC.
Surely then you could actually list the top 4 NESCAC. For most neutral on-lookers, it gets pretty murky after Tufts. Bowdoin with a suspect loss to Endicott? Wesleyan, fresh off getting smoked by Stevens? A 2-4 Middlebury squad? Amherst who lost to that same 2-4 Middlebury?

Give out 3 at-large bids to Union, RPI and St Lawrence, and there’s 7 remaining. CNU (CLC loser) gets one. Loser of ODAC (Lyn/W&L) gets one. Likely loser of Centennial (G’burg/Dick) gets one. Stevenson is making a case, should York win the MAC. Flip that too if York figures it out but loses the AQ. Kenyon upsets Denison, there goes another at large (Kenyon themselves might even make a case if they lose)

What you have to realize is REGIONALLY RANKED WINS (and that’s where the teams stand in their regions at years end, not when the win was earned) are a large factor. Region V typically contains regionally ranked- Albion, Sewanee, Centre, Ill. Wes, etc. Wins versus those squads are just as valuable to the committee as (likely much more difficult) wins in NESCAC competition. (Denison, Kenyon and others play these teams regularly and are credited regionally ranked wins for it) Forget the name values, and take a bid or two for little known losers of conference(s) out there too.

If even some of that plays out you’re looking at 1 bid remaining.
It ain’t as sure a shot as you hope.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

choochooCharlie wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:14 am
SouthieLax wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:07 pm They will matter. Take away all the teams that will win the AQ, give the Liberty 3 at-large bids. That still leaves 7 bids. Who gets them? That’s a lot to go around and no one else is going to have the resume to compete with the top 3 or 4 NESCAC.
Surely then you could actually list the top 4 NESCAC. For most neutral on-lookers, it gets pretty murky after Tufts. Bowdoin with a suspect loss to Endicott? Wesleyan, fresh off getting smoked by Stevens? A 2-4 Middlebury squad? Amherst who lost to that same 2-4 Middlebury?

Give out 3 at-large bids to Union, RPI and St Lawrence, and there’s 7 remaining. CNU (CLC loser) gets one. Loser of ODAC (Lyn/W&L) gets one. Likely loser of Centennial (G’burg/Dick) gets one. Stevenson is making a case, should York win the MAC. Flip that too if York figures it out but loses the AQ. Kenyon upsets Denison, there goes another at large (Kenyon themselves might even make a case if they lose)

What you have to realize is REGIONALLY RANKED WINS (and that’s where the teams stand in their regions at years end, not when the win was earned) are a large factor. Region V typically contains regionally ranked- Albion, Sewanee, Centre, Ill. Wes, etc. Wins versus those squads are just as valuable to the committee as (likely much more difficult) wins in NESCAC competition. (Denison, Kenyon and others play these teams regularly and are credited regionally ranked wins for it) Forget the name values, and take a bid or two for little known losers of conference(s) out there too.

If LC does not beat Amherst - than the ODAC likely only deserves 1-bid.
+ you should factor in that RMC seems capable of pulling an upset on either LC or W&L this year.

Same with the NCAC.
Denisons best win is John Carroll
Kenyons is Centre
Definetly a 1-bid league

I think that ultimately creates a situation where NESCAC is guaranteed 3
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

wow. i was reading this and thinking, have the NESCAC fans finally come back to reality? then i realized you aren’t a nescac fanboy.

moving forward, LL can definitely justify 3 at large bids. ODAC has 5 teams fighting for the conference bid. if the season ended today, i can see 2 at large bids. who knows how things end. but odac is in good shape for at least 1 at large bid. stevenson and york have bad records, but competitive games against top teams. MAC has a good argument for an at large bid. CC has two top teams fighting for the conference. i expect one at large from here. and let’s not forget C2C.
Last edited by Laxattackjack on Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

SaltCounty wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:57 am If LC does not beat Amherst - than the ODAC likely only deserves 1-bid.
+ you should factor in that RMC seems capable of pulling an upset on either LC or W&L this year.

Same with the NCAC.
Denisons best win is John Carroll
Kenyons is Centre
Definetly a 1-bid league

I think that ultimately creates a situation where NESCAC is guaranteed 3
That’s the problem. You’re carrying into it a name value bias.

They haven’t released any 2024 regional rankings yet, but here is an exercise using last year’s;

This year Denison has 2 wins over regionally ranked foes from last year- Albion and John Carrol (I don’t know where they stand in their regions this year). And 4 losses, all to regionally ranked teams last year (all of whom will likely be regionally ranked this year too)
Bowdoin has 1 win over a regionally ranked foe from last year, Middlebury (and based on their results, they won’t likely be regionally ranked this year). They also only have 1 loss, but it’s to a team that wasn’t regionally ranked last year (and likely won’t be this year either).

Denison > Bowdoin (at the moment)

If Lynchburg wins the ODAC, assuming the seasons continue as they are, W&L will ABSOLUTELY get an at-large. It is only slightly less true if W&L wins the ODAC, that Lynchburg would get an at-large. Hamilton is currently their only loss to a non-regionally ranked team, and with the way things are going, A. Hamilton may wind up being a regionally ranked loss based on the overall “down-year” for their region. And B. Their Stevenson win could wind up being a regionally ranked win as well.

Get past the whole, “but that’s John Carroll, and this is Middlebury” schtick. At the end of the year, one will likely be regionally ranked, and one likely won’t.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Not to nit pick a little piece of this but centennial will not likely be a 2 bid league this year imo.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

ChopMan23 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:49 am

Not to nit pick a little piece of this but centennial will not likely be a 2 bid league this year imo.
it’s not looking that way.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”