World Soccer

General Chatter
Seacoaster(1)

Re: World Soccer

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:57 pm What Ardilla Secreta said about Manchester City a while back remains true: they still haven't beaten a top-5 team in an EPL match this season. Next weekend City plays Newcastle in the FA Cup, returning to League action on Sunday March 31 at home against Arsenal. That one will be huge. That same day, Liverpool will be at home against Brighton. But before then, Liverpool have an FA Cup match against man United. Arsenal are out of the FA Cup, but like City are still alive in the Champons League.

Spurs looked vulnerable in the first half at Aston Villa, but devastating in the the 2nd half en route to a big 4-0 victory that gives Tottenham a good chance of grabbing that 4th Champions League spot for next year. That's all Spurs have to play for, whie Villa are still in the Europa League (as are Liverpool, Brighton and West Ham. Arse and Nan City are still in the Champions League; hard to believe that played in this season's Champions League group stage, but the Red Devils crashed out hard.

Personally, I don't think Man City will win this season's EPL title, but I could be wrong. The Man City-Arsenal game should be an intense contest, but that's still a ways in the future.
Thought about AS's words while watching the Liverpool-City game yesterday, and in the second half thinking Liverpool would come up with the second goal. I thought City hung by a thread the last 30 minutes. But they split the points. Still a great game. I don't have any skin in the game and wanted someone to win. Alas.

I only saw the Spurs highlights, but heavens what a second half. I am hopeful Spurs overtake Villa for fourth over the next few weeks. Real disappointment at Villa about this game.

I agree: I am thinking City do not grab the EPL title. But quite a few important games to be played.

Burnley and Sheffield United seem firmly in the relegation zone. Out of Luton Town, Forest and Everton (noticed that Brentford are only a point ahead of the Toffies), not sure who heads south.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:57 am
FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:57 pm What Ardilla Secreta said about Manchester City a while back remains true: they still haven't beaten a top-5 team in an EPL match this season. Next weekend City plays Newcastle in the FA Cup, returning to League action on Sunday March 31 at home against Arsenal. That one will be huge. That same day, Liverpool will be at home against Brighton. But before then, Liverpool have an FA Cup match against man United. Arsenal are out of the FA Cup, but like City are still alive in the Champons League.

Spurs looked vulnerable in the first half at Aston Villa, but devastating in the the 2nd half en route to a big 4-0 victory that gives Tottenham a good chance of grabbing that 4th Champions League spot for next year. That's all Spurs have to play for, whie Villa are still in the Europa League (as are Liverpool, Brighton and West Ham. Arse and Nan City are still in the Champions League; hard to believe that played in this season's Champions League group stage, but the Red Devils crashed out hard.

Personally, I don't think Man City will win this season's EPL title, but I could be wrong. The Man City-Arsenal game should be an intense contest, but that's still a ways in the future.
Thought about AS's words while watching the Liverpool-City game yesterday, and in the second half thinking Liverpool would come up with the second goal. I thought City hung by a thread the last 30 minutes. But they split the points. Still a great game. I don't have any skin in the game and wanted someone to win. Alas.

I only saw the Spurs highlights, but heavens what a second half. I am hopeful Spurs overtake Villa for fourth over the next few weeks. Real disappointment at Villa about this game.

I agree: I am thinking City do not grab the EPL title. But quite a few important games to be played.

Burnley and Sheffield United seem firmly in the relegation zone. Out of Luton Town, Forest and Everton (noticed that Brentford are only a point ahead of the Toffies), not sure who heads south.
Villa-Spurs is evidence big games don’t always pan out. Playing at home Villa hardly seemed energized and things got nightmareish quickly after giving up two goals then having their captain get a reckless red card. They sure lost a huge opportunity to gain a CL spot.

Second half of the Liverpool game was pretty wild. So many opportunities, especially by Luis Diaz. Still can’t figure out why DeBrunye was taken off so early.

West Ham’s second half comeback that ended in 2-2 draw may have been the most entertaining game of the weekend. Pretty wild action at both ends and a great goal by Danny Ings.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Well, but the Villa-Spurs game panned out splendidly if you've been a dyed-in-the-wool Tottenham fan for the entirety of your adult life. That first Burnley goal was really sweet; even if the goalscorer was lucky to retain possession on a dicy dribble, that was such a sweetly struck shot.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Gunners to the Champions League quarters on PKs. Wow.

Barcelona to the quarters.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:25 pm Gunners to the Champions League quarters on PKs. Wow.

All of the sudden, Arsenal isn't the dominant side we were seeing win games 6-0, 4-0.... or is it just a blip on the radar? Just as well for the red North Londoners that they got knocked out of the FA Cup early (by Liverpool), as fighting for three trophies is tough, often results in winning one or none.

Barecola are fun to watch! May not be the complete side of years ago, but there will be goals.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:03 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:25 pm Gunners to the Champions League quarters on PKs. Wow.

All of the sudden, Arsenal isn't the dominant side we were seeing win games 6-0, 4-0.... or is it just a blip on the radar? Just as well for the red North Londoners that they got knocked out of the FA Cup early (by Liverpool), as fighting for three trophies is tough, often results in winning one or none.

Barecola are fun to watch! May not be the complete side of years ago, but there will be goals.
I was going to ask you: is Porto just better than these EPL teams that Arsenal has been destroying? Well coached, good speed, good maintenance of shape and discipline, just couldn't get one last night.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:10 am

I was going to ask you: is Porto just better than these EPL teams that Arsenal has been destroying? Well coached, good speed, good maintenance of shape and discipline, just couldn't get one last night.
Well, Arse had to struggle recently to beat Brentford 2-1. Europe presents a different challenge: different styles of play, different tactics and mentalities. Champions League games are more important. Portugal has been producing very good Portuguese players, plus has a language & cultural advantage in getting Brazilians. Porto is definitely better than a bunch of EPL teams, but the margins are fine at the top levels of world footy.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:25 am

Well, Arse had to struggle recently to beat Brentford 2-1. Europe presents a different challenge: different styles of play, different tactics and mentalities. Champions League games are more important. Portugal has been producing very good Portuguese players, plus has a language & cultural advantage in getting Brazilians. Porto is definitely better than a bunch of EPL teams, but the margins are fine at the top levels of world footy.
Thanks. Shaping up to be a great Spring -- without including lacrosse! Real Madrid, Bayern, City, PSG, Arsenal and Barca through to the Champions League QFs. Genuine three horse race for the EPL title. Great FA Cup QFs this weekend. And the usual EPL relegation drama for a couple of teams. How am I supposed to get any work accomplished?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:48 am
FannOLax wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:25 am

Thanks. Shaping up to be a great Spring -- without including lacrosse! Real Madrid, Bayern, City, PSG, Arsenal and Barca through to the Champions League QFs. Genuine three horse race for the EPL title. Great FA Cup QFs this weekend. And the usual EPL relegation drama for a couple of teams. How am I supposed to get any work accomplished?
Gotta mention the race for 4th in the EPL, that last (well,maybe not this year?) Champions League spot; big deal for Aston Villa, Man Utd and Spurs fans! Lacrosse, yes! Undefeated Harvard at 3-1 Yale Satuday! I plan on being in New Haven for that game... also planning to make it to other lax games, including a Denison game in Granville. Hope that you make it to a Syracuse game again before too long.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:07 am Crazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebTHppwvC-A
Crazy good!

Luton has been involved in wildly entertaining games; but they don't win them. If the Hatters get relegated, this game will haunt them.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Just great. Especially Real vs. Man City. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023%E2%8 ... kout_phase
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:02 am Just great. Especially Real vs. Man City. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023%E2%8 ... kout_phase
The road to Harry Kane's coveted first trophy runs through North London as Bayern are drawn against Arse.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Well, Seacoaster was right about Man Utd knocking Liverpool out of the FA Cup. And Man U get Coventry City in the semis, and it would be just like Man U to beat Coventry. Whilst in the old top-flight First Division, Coventry won the Cup final 3-2 over Tottenham, handing Spurs' their first FA Cup final loss after winning in six finals. The last time a team outside of England top flight won the FA Cup as West Ham in 1980, who beat Arsenal 1-0 in the final.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:25 pm Well, Seacoaster was right about Man Utd knocking Liverpool out of the FA Cup. And Man U get Coventry City in the semis, and it would be just like Man U to beat Coventry. Whilst in the old top-flight First Division, Coventry won the Cup final 3-2 over Tottenham, handing Spurs' their first FA Cup final loss after winning in six finals. The last time a team outside of England top flight won the FA Cup as West Ham in 1980, who beat Arsenal 1-0 in the final.
Great game. I'd have paid a small fortune to have been at Old Trafford today. I think Chelsea wins the FA Cup.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Sounds like you're a Manchester United fan! Have you been to a game at Old Trafford?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:50 pm Sounds like you're a Manchester United fan! Have you been to a game at Old Trafford?
Nope; I'm a Spurs fan. And check that: saw the draw and I think City gets past Chelsea. Manchester Derby for the FA Cup, and City wins it again.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

So, for the four of us, who do you have in the Gunner-City match Sunday at City? This is apparently the first time in 10 years that only one point separates the top three after 28 games, with Liverpool (playing Brighton at Anfield on Sunday) second.
Brooklyn

Re: (Small) World Soccer

Post by Brooklyn »

I attended a youth futsal game (age 14) this morning when two kids started tussling. The ref immediately intervened before it got any worse. He cleverly did so by reminding them that "this isn't football, it's soccer". Some of us in the crowd had a good laugh about that line. I wonder what my Brit pals would have to say about it. :lol:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 pm So, for the four of us, who do you have in the Gunner-City match Sunday at City? This is apparently the first time in 10 years that only one point separates the top three after 28 games, with Liverpool (playing Brighton at Anfield on Sunday) second.
Ummm, I think Liverpool will beat Brighton. Xabi Alonso is re-upping at Leverkusen, complicating Liverpool's search for Klopp's replacement. I'll say 2-2 final score tomorrow when Arse visit Man City.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”